Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by sancarlos »

I have big-time sinus problems if the pilot descends too quickly for landing (or if I have a cold). Afrin or similar is a godsend. Otherwise, I'm blowing and swallowing constantly to try to equalize the pressure. Hurts like hell.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I do the hold the nose and blow thing. It usually works very well, but it didn't when we descended into Newark earlier this year. Didn't get my head right until Connecticut.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

TT2.0 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:53 pm your kid hits me, I hit your kid. Other than that, parent how you want to.
This take is...not good.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If we ever hear that our man TT got arrested for assaulting a ten year-old, we'll be safe in the knowledge that the kid hit him first.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If your baby ever throws up on me, I'll throw up on them. Fuckin' deal.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I was best man at a wedding several years ago and one of the family members had one of those kids. They thought it was funny that he was running around tearing things up at the reception taking away from the bride and groom's day, just having no thought of how their kid was affecting others. I got up to give my speech and he's running around the room, lines up and punches me square in the pills. Maybe 6 years old. I've never been so close to dropkicking a child in my life.

Not saying it's ever ok, just saying it took a lot of self control to not beat his or his parent's ass.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Please say there's video.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:45 pm Please say there's video.
Not that I'm aware of. It was a shitshow.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

See if you had led with that story, I'd have just shut up.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Giff wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:59 pm See if you had led with that story, I'd have just shut up.
All fun and games until someone gets punched in the pills huh?

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

I try to treat everyone equally. Kids are people too. Same with overly aggressive mentally ill people. I don't weigh enough to hurt anyone, and it makes a compelling life lesson for the little ones
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:37 pm I was best man at a wedding several years ago and one of the family members had one of those kids. They thought it was funny that he was running around tearing things up at the reception taking away from the bride and groom's day, just having no thought of how their kid was affecting others. I got up to give my speech and he's running around the room, lines up and punches me square in the pills. Maybe 6 years old. I've never been so close to dropkicking a child in my life.

Not saying it's ever ok, just saying it took a lot of self control to not beat his or his parent's ass.
As the best man, it's your job to control that shit. I fully blame you for ruining their wedding. More like worst man, ammirite?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:14 pm They sell it at airports but its usually the liquid that goes straight into your lungs rather than the pleasant mist. Never had an issue carrying it on.
I've become a huge fan of the neti pot. Knocks out sinus infections long before they become a problem, seem to stop sinus headaches before they hit, and helps with allergies.
Word. I use NeilMed. Used them when I had chronic sinus infections.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jesus fuck giff I’d ask if you’ve ever been more wrong, but want to first make sure you really think it’s fine to just set up camp next to someone else and start blasting music?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:32 am

Jesus fuck giff I’d ask if you’ve ever been more wrong, but want to first make sure you really think it’s fine to just set up camp next to someone else and start blasting music?
Oh shit at first I thought, ‘Wow, Rass has some issues with fellow poster, Giff”, but then saw the name of who posted the tweet. But then I thought....Hmmm, Rass and Giff would be a good pairing on a fight bill.

As for bringing music to the beach? If you’re solo, then yeah, headphones. No excuse. If you’re with other people, then it’s best you find a space free of others so that you can play some tunes.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

We always take a small speaker to the beach and play it pretty low. We’ve been fortunate to not be at super busy beaches though so you can spread out from people.

But generally, I don’t mind if people play music, either.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

O O

O1 = People who play music loudly in public
O2 = People who have good taste in music
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Yeah, I don't know what triggered Giff about that tweet (unless it's the name), but I can't see how that would be an unpopular opinion among non-sociopaths.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Silent understanding that, while it’s still 2019, the band we all have in mind here is Sublime, right?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:53 pm Silent understanding that, while it’s still 2019, the band we all have in mind here is Sublime, right?
I'm not a Sublime fan. Haven't even thought about them for years. But, there is a lot of stuff I'd less like to hear from the group next to me at the beach.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The answer is nonstop bro country
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:53 pm Silent understanding that, while it’s still 2019, the band we all have in mind here is Sublime, right?
My nightmare scenario is a group plopping down next to us and blaring a playlist chock-full of songs dripping in auto-tune vocals.

I'd rather be doing community service in the kitchen of the local Elks Lodge than suffer that.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:49 pm The answer is nonstop bro country
Auto-tuned.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bro-reggae is worse. Sublime is awful.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Something like Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit would arguably be worse but Sublime is horrible.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

brian wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:10 pm Something like Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit would arguably be worse but Sublime is horrible.
I don't know why you are coming for 12 year old me's taste in music so hard, but from the bottom of my heart go fuck yourself brian
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

OR YOU’LL BE LEAVIN’ WITH A FAT LIP!!!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Not dissin’ Louie Dog’s the only way to stay livin’
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

How about a young kid's (like, two or three years old) birthday party at a brewery/tasting room when there is nothing there for children?

Of course, if you're the kind of parent who sees the brewery's website listing "no children's parties", then call and ask "what about a party for adults, but some kids will also be there?" you're probably also the kind of parent who lets their kid repeatedly blow on a whistle until the owner has to come out and ask you to stop your kid from continuing. I mean, there were about a dozen kids three years or younger sprawled all over the entryway, a parent walking through the tasting room carrying a baby in one hand and a bouncy seat in the other arm, and a mylar dinosaur helium balloon.

I know the real root is dickhead parents who want to have their kid's birthday party at a place that's "fun for adults (because our kid is so young, he/she won't remember where the party was)", but fuck off with that shit.

Sancarlos (and his wife) can vouch for this story.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:20 pm How about a young kid's (like, two or three years old) birthday party at a brewery/tasting room when there is nothing there for children?

Of course, if you're the kind of parent who sees the brewery's website listing "no children's parties", then call and ask "what about a party for adults, but some kids will also be there?" you're probably also the kind of parent who lets their kid repeatedly blow on a whistle until the owner has to come out and ask you to stop your kid from continuing. I mean, there were about a dozen kids three years or younger sprawled all over the entryway, a parent walking through the tasting room carrying a baby in one hand and a bouncy seat in the other arm, and a mylar dinosaur helium balloon.

I know the real root is dickhead parents who want to have their kid's birthday party at a place that's "fun for adults (because our kid is so young, he/she won't remember where the party was)", but fuck off with that shit.

I guess this sums up what I dislike most about the paradox. It’s seems that many people have decided that they shouldn’t have to change their lifestyle after they have children and it’s up to everyone else to adapt to their new reality. I’m not anti kid or think that because you have children you have to be a shut in for the rest of your life, but the people who can’t be bothered to show courtesy to others that didn’t choose to have children or take them to places that are clearly designed for adults and then choose to spend the next couple hours as if the other patrons and staff are their babysitters for the day, those people I can’t stand and they deserve to be told as much. Publicly if needed.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Had lunch plans with a friend from work who lives in LA but he had to cancel because his cat is dying but I always say when life hands you lemons turn them into alcoholic drinks so looks like I’ll be getting fucked up before this bus ride to Vegas.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Blissfully getting trashed before getting on a Greyhound has some serious dead cat bounce potential.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:31 pm Blissfully getting trashed before getting on a Greyhound has some serious dead cat bounce potential.
BoltBus, thank you. I’m no savage. (There IS a hierarchy in the short-haul bus market.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Also, although it’s been kind of a weird weekend it’s been about as fun a weekend I’ve had in a long time — bus rides included. It’s good to fraternize with people you normally wouldn’t because if you don’t one day you’re gonna be one of those people who Won’t. And then you’re lost forever.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I had jury duty Friday, and within the first thirty or so minutes, my number was called within a range of numbers to meet out in the lobby. We then were marched over to the other building in the courthouse complex, and we were seated in a courtroom that held all 150 or so of us in the gallery.

In the well were the states' attorneys, the public defender and her client. The judge entered the room and we all rose cuz you know, that's what you do.

He then talked about jury duty and its responsibilities, and proceeded to ask that we stand and state our juror ID# if we meet any of the following qualifications:

1) Have you ever been convicted of a crime where the punishment could have been 6 months in jail? (Maybe 8 people stood)
2) Have you served jury duty here in Baltimore City or elsewhere within the past 12 months? (One person)
3) The following trial will take approximately 7-9 days to complete. Are there any obstacles in your immediate future that render you serving as a juror impossible? (Probably 30 people stood, myself included)
4) The defendant is charged with child abuse and murder. Do you have any significant objections or feelings towards child abuse that would prevent you from being impartial during this trial? (I'm guessing 98% of the room stood).

I didn't get selected for this trial, and I think it was because I told the judge the Fall Semester of school starts up for me Monday, and I'd likely have to withdraw from classes in order to give the trial my undivided attention, which, I then told him, I would probably resent the trial itself which would probably make me a distracted juror anyway.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:20 pm How about a young kid's (like, two or three years old) birthday party at a brewery/tasting room when there is nothing there for children?

Keep such a party in your backyard, not a brewery.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The only person allowed to have that sort of party in the brewery is an owner.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Back bacon is to regular bacon what business class is to coach.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:32 am

That's not what the Tweet said.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Do tell how you interpreted it.