The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:So what's everyone's "cheap" craft?

When I was in Boston I drank the shit out of Harpoon IPA. Now I like Escape IPA from Epic (CO only IPA) and Rampant DIPA from New Belgium.

Not a big NB fan, but not passing by a not bad DIPA for 4.99 a bomber.
Can you consider Sierra Nevada a craft? It's my go to as far as cheap decent beer to have around. I'm also big on Founder's All Day IPA but it's more midrange rather than "cheap".
SN is generally considered a craft, it just happens to be one of the biggest. It's a craft in my book. Founder's All Day is my standard beer to bring to a party. It packs a lot of flavor for a low alcohol beer, and people who aren't used to hoppy IPAs seem to like it. A good balance when you don't know your audience, and don't want to show up with Bud.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote:D, I totally get the Lawson's collaboration isn't really drinking Lawson's. Just let me delude myself. Collaborations don't usually work, and I avoid them for the most part, but this one sounds really good. I do want a second to age if I can find it again. I did like the Boulevard-Cigar City IPA that is out right now. If you like tropical fruit flavors in an IPA, this is worth picking up.
I'm not anti-collaboration, but they seem to be universally as good as the lesser brewery is. Other Half + Trillium was superb. The Beer Camp ones I bet I could do blind and be pretty close, give or take an exception.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote:Founder's All Day is my standard beer to bring to a party.
NOT A CRAFT!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:...and don't want to show up with Bud.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've made it my quest to have Kane, preferably Head High but whatever, in Bunny's by the end of 2016. #essexcountydivebars
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:I've made it my quest to have Kane, preferably Head High but whatever, in Bunny's by the end of 2016. #essexcountydivebars
Are the walls still sticky there? The last time I was in there smoking was still allowed and think the walls oozed nicotine (or tar).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I have yet to touch the walls.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:I have yet to touch the walls.
Really? That's the first thing I do when I walk into a bar.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sit down, motherfuckers. (This should really be in the North Jersey thread but I'm already here.) Beer hall, humorously named "Pump House", coming to South Orange Ave, but not until 2017. Pre-fired up.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Sit down, motherfuckers. (This should really be in the North Jersey thread but I'm already here.) Beer hall, humorously named "Pump House", coming to South Orange Ave, but not until 2017. Pre-fired up.
Gay club on the weekends? Either way, I'm fired up. Flaming, even.

Founders will remain craft as long as they keep putting out Backwoods Bastard. Scratch that, BCBS doesn't keep GI a craft. Founders is still majority privately owned, and they put out such great beers, I can't join your boycott. I respect your principled stand, but BB, Black Rye, Dark Penance, Backstage Series... I'm a weaker man.
-Pruitt
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

The Sybian wrote:I'd love to. You are pretty far South though, right? I'm driving by Joe Canal's on the way home.
Swedesboro. Exit 2, represent!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Another day, another one bites the dust.

http://www.breckbrew.com/blog/a-letter- ... ge-brewery
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

BSF21 wrote:Another day, another one bites the dust.

http://www.breckbrew.com/blog/a-letter- ... ge-brewery
Just came here to post that.

Four Peaks was the best local brewery in Phoenix. One of the 2 things I miss about that godforsaken place. When we found the newly opened Breckenridge Brewery/restaurant somewhat near our new place in Colorado we dubbed it our 'new Four Peaks' - nice place, good food, good beer...

They have both been bought by Anheuser Busch in the last 5 days. Fuck.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just wait until one of the really awesome smaller guys goes. This part sucks, but its predictable suck in terms of which ones are dropping. Right now, I'm just waiting for Ithaca or Victory to go, as far as "major" crafts I still really like. But if one of the top VT breweries or Other Half or Trillium or Kane or whoever gets snapped up as speculation, I quit. I'll start drinking local, small farm milk or something instead.

(And when someone says "No, this is a good thing because now Trillium is shipping to 30 states instead of a very small radius", that someone can go fuck themselves.)
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

In the interest of piling on, New Belgium is seeking a buyer as well. Initial chatter is they will go in the 1 billion range.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm mixed on Breckenridge. They used to have a Brewpub in downtown Buffalo. It was one of my first introductions to craft beer, and most likely the first brewpub I went to. I remember the food being really good, but that was by my college aged standards. I've had a couple of their beers since, and they have all been pretty bad. Still, sucks to see AB-I eat up another large craft. It'll be a shame to see good shelf space wasted on Breckenridge.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

GoodKarma wrote:In the interest of piling on, New Belgium is seeking a buyer as well. Initial chatter is they will go in the 1 billion range.
I need to get a job there quick (they're employee owned.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:I'm mixed on Breckenridge. They used to have a Brewpub in downtown Buffalo. It was one of my first introductions to craft beer, and most likely the first brewpub I went to. I remember the food being really good, but that was by my college aged standards. I've had a couple of their beers since, and they have all been pretty bad. Still, sucks to see AB-I eat up another large craft. It'll be a shame to see good shelf space wasted on Breckenridge.
Their Vanilla Porter is ok, other than that very meh. I do like their restaurants and I like that they (did at least) have lots of other crafts on tap aside from Breck stuff.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote:It'll be a shame to see good shelf space wasted on Breckenridge.
Even worse, think about how many times you've seen them on tap around here (never?) and then we'll revisit in a year.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Rush2112 wrote:
GoodKarma wrote:In the interest of piling on, New Belgium is seeking a buyer as well. Initial chatter is they will go in the 1 billion range.
I had that thought today....I wonder how that is going to work.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

GoodKarma wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:
Most places in a sitation like that award shares based on longevity, position with the company, etc.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:
GoodKarma wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:
Most places in a sitation like that award shares based on longevity, position with the company, etc.
I'll take one share of a billion dollars
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote:
devilfluff wrote:
I also have a beer buying problem. Want to help me drink some of these cellar beers? It's swiftly approaching 400 bottles...
I'll be over.

Going to a conference in San Fran in March. Typically love the fam to come along, but the hotel is a block and a half from Mikkeler Bar. Trying to hint to the wife that the weather is gonna be shitty, etc. etc.
Maybe we can met up at Mikkeler. I've been meaning to get there for ever.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nugget Nectar time!!! Expected release dates:

January 18 – Western PA and NEPA
January 25 – DC, MD and NJ
February 1 – CT, DE, OH, MA, NC, NY and VA

Didn't it used to come out in the Spring?

Had Founders Project Pam, a black IPA aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels. Same barrels they use for CBS. It was an amazing beer. If you see it, buy it. Wish I bought more.

-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote:Didn't it used to come out in the Spring?
I clearly remember it coming out as the weather was just starting to turn, so I'm with you. When I was trying to think of breweries that would make me sad to go macro, I forgot about Troegs. I don't buy them a ton anymore but it would still be a killer.

Related-ish: The train beer selection in Hoboken is abysmal. Especially when my dickhead friend is texting "my guy in Penn has Singlecut now" and stuff like that.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Didn't it used to come out in the Spring?
I clearly remember it coming out as the weather was just starting to turn, so I'm with you. When I was trying to think of breweries that would make me sad to go macro, I forgot about Troegs. I don't buy them a ton anymore but it would still be a killer.

Related-ish: The train beer selection in Hoboken is abysmal. Especially when my dickhead friend is texting "my guy in Penn has Singlecut now" and stuff like that.
Who is this guy in Penn you speak of? Probably going to my NYC office next week.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think its main concourse, 31st St. side, but I'm verifying.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:
devilfluff wrote:
I also have a beer buying problem. Want to help me drink some of these cellar beers? It's swiftly approaching 400 bottles...
I'll be over.

Going to a conference in San Fran in March. Typically love the fam to come along, but the hotel is a block and a half from Mikkeler Bar. Trying to hint to the wife that the weather is gonna be shitty, etc. etc.
Maybe we can met up at Mikkeler. I've been meaning to get there for ever.
Yes. I'm staying in Union Sq so just blocks from one of the best bars in the world.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Smyrna- you probably knew this but at least one of the troeg bros is an explorer. Think early 90s but could be wrong about year. But definitely went to lasalle.
oh shit...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Enjoying my first Nugget Nectar of the season. While it is every bit as great as I remember it, I think it's lost it's specialness because there are so many great hoppy ales, it doesn't blow me away anymore. Still a first rate ale, and a nice change from IPAs. For some reason, I rarely go with APAs or red ales; almost always DIPAs or IPAs.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote:Enjoying my first Nugget Nectar of the season. While it is every bit as great as I remember it, I think it's lost it's specialness because there are so many great hoppy ales, it doesn't blow me away anymore. Still a first rate ale, and a nice change from IPAs. For some reason, I rarely go with APAs or red ales; almost always DIPAs or IPAs.
I'm not a big red ale fan, but I really like a few APAs and Pale Ales that I've had recently. This one, brewed locally, is quite tasty.

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So I am not a Huge Huge fan of our local breweries in Lexington. I drink their stuff when I am out for 2 reasons 1) It's better than Budweiser and 2) I like the idea of breweries in town and figure eventually they will end up with something I like a lot.

#2 happened with West Sixth's Snake Eyes Imperial Stout. So good. 11% ABV, too.

Only 8.99 for a four pack, too! For that kind of alcohol content that is a great price.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Hopslam is out, y'all. It's from Bell's, so you NJ Swampers have to find it in PA or NY. But it's worth it.

It's only in cans this year for some reason.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Last time I was at Costco, I bought a case of 805 by Firestone Walker. I like it. More heft than most blondes.

And I also wanted to note that I tried some beers back over the holidays by Oak Creek Brewing, of Sedona, AZ. They were good, too.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sweet new place in town. It's a mini-chain i guess, called Hop Cat. 100 beers, nothing but craft (so long as you consider PBR a craft) and a really wide slection of stuff I haven't had. Knocked back about 6 new beers friday night. RIP Rye from Apocalypse out of Louisville probably the best of the lot.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B wrote:Sweet new place in town. It's a mini-chain i guess, called Hop Cat. 100 beers, nothing but craft (so long as you consider PBR a craft) and a really wide slection of stuff I haven't had. Knocked back about 6 new beers friday night. RIP Rye from Apocalypse out of Louisville probably the best of the lot.
I know BSF calls one his local. I went to the one in Grand Rapids a few years back. Awesome place. Is your local brewing their own as well?

Also, I think they call them "crack fries" but whatever their spiced fries are called are awesome.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:Sweet new place in town. It's a mini-chain i guess, called Hop Cat. 100 beers, nothing but craft (so long as you consider PBR a craft) and a really wide slection of stuff I haven't had. Knocked back about 6 new beers friday night. RIP Rye from Apocalypse out of Louisville probably the best of the lot.
Was going to tell you about that place opening in Lexington when I saw something about it a few months ago. Rush, BSF and I have been to HopCats in various locales many times. It's the tits.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The crack fries are great. The crack tots are even better.

Definitely is gonna be one of my go tos. Also backs up to another great place, Pies and Pints that has a lot of good beers, too.

Still no fucking ZOmbie Dust, but I think it isn't released year round in all markets.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote:It's a mini-chain i guess, called Hop Cat.
I know nothing of Hop Cat, but "craft chains" like YardHouse and World of Beer scare me. There's one that opened up pretty recently in Chelsea which has like 50 taps (yay?) and, if you check right now, two taps are dedicated to "actual" NYC breweries. Neither are IPAs, but you can get Goose Island or Magic Hat IPA. I assume everything I don't like in beer is a sinister trend and not a harmless anomaly, so who knows, but that just looks like something that will lead to bars that offer everything AB distributes or some shit like that.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I obviously don't know who owns all the smaller labels, but there was a really wide selection of breweries represented. And anyway, it was beer I can't usually get, so I was cool with it even if they have a big bad daddy backing them.