NFL Week 7

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: NFL Week 7

Post by Pruitt »

Greg Hardy seems to be mid-cycle right now.

http://deadspin.com/greg-hardy-got-in-a ... 1738623781

Says Jerry Jones:
“He’s, of course, one of the real leaders on this team and he earns it and he earns it with respect from all of his teammates and that’s the kind of thing that inspires a football team,” Jones said.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I was unable to watch the game because I was traveling, but this was my reaction when the Pats won:

(Also, blah to "bank holidays" in Ireland. I should be getting smashed at the bar right now, but many are closed until a little bit later. Though, luckily enough, there's a crossfit gym around the corner from my Airbnb spot.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Bill O'Brien not being fired today is a joke. He's done a completely awful job this year and then leaves a star RB with health issues in the game down 20+ points with 3 minutes left who then ruptures his Achilles? He should've been forced to take commercial back to Houston.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

15.2 million fucking people had no fucking problem watching a fucking football game only available online.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie wrote:15.2 million fucking people had no fucking problem watching a fucking football game only available online.
Yeah, I watched it. I just didn't like being forced to watch it outside of the TV. And, yes, I guess I need to figure out how to incorporate streaming into my TV, but I just haven't really wanted to. I am comfortable with the channels I have access to without needing to watch the internet on my TV.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Counterpoint:
In this case, Yahoo’s big number —15.2 million—just means that that many people tuned in to watch at any point over the course of the broadcast. Here’s a more accurate measure of how popular the stream was:
CNNMoney, using slightly different math, puts the average viewership per minute at 2.36 million. These are still good numbers, but pale in comparison to televised NFL games, which average between 10M and 20M viewers per minute.

So let’s say that at any given point during Bills/Jags, 2 million people around the world were tuned in. How many of them did so on purpose? Recode notes what you probably did already: if you went to Yahoo’s homepage, its sports site, or its fantasy sports site, the game stream started playing automatically. Yahoo.com does incredible traffic, and everyone who was there yesterday morning, whether they wanted it or not, streamed the football game and counted among Yahoo’s viewers.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Tangentially related...saw on Gawker this AM this article on reactions to the announcement of the first ipod, and (respectfully!) thought of TB:

I have no use for an Mp3 player.

My house has a CD player.
My car has a CD player.
My Mac has a CD player

I don’t use headphones.

The iPod requires me to change my lifestyle to meet it’s needs...

I need round holes, not square holes.

For $99 I might buy the toy, for $399? Why?

Doesn’t a Mac with a CDR undermine the need for most of this? All that’s left is the number of songs you can play and the ability to listen to all of them with headphones anywhere. Do I really need ALL my songs ALL the time?

uhm, no.

Won’t last. Another Cube.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

TB, I could swear there's a way to project your cell phone to your tv these days. Maybe you just need an internet box of some sort. Or an HD cable coming out of your laptop. But there's definitely a way to get that game on your tv.

Counter counter point: How often does anyone watch a game all the way through without changing the channel? Or even watch without surfing the internet on your phone. After my team's game is over, it's Red Zone Channel all day.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Slashdot's iPod review was short and succinct. And the guy who posted it has never lived it down.
CmdrTaco wrote:No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie wrote:TB, I could swear there's a way to project your cell phone to your tv these days. Maybe you just need an internet box of some sort. Or an HD cable coming out of your laptop. But there's definitely a way to get that game on your tv.

Counter counter point: How often does anyone watch a game all the way through without changing the channel? Or even watch without surfing the internet on your phone. After my team's game is over, it's Red Zone Channel all day.
I get it. I know there is. I just don't want to HAVE to (which, in essence, I had to if I wanted to watch that game) - regardless, DSafe touched on the heart of my irritation which is NFL Sunday ticket (which I have paid for, for 15 years now), I should be able to watch that game as normal on a TV without having to stream it and hook something up to watch it. I get that I am old now, and that young people want shit to just stream directly into their heads and what not, but, fuck it, I like turning on and watching shit on my TV.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Saw that stuff on Reddit, Rass. Outstanding walk back through time. I'm of the mind that I'll get new things when I need them and not necessarily because they exist.

I remember the day I used Napster to download my first MP3 and my next thought was "I want to take these with me...Maybe one day."

/threadjack
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sabo wrote:Slashdot's iPod review was short and succinct. And the guy who posted it has never lived it down.
CmdrTaco wrote:No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.
I worked for the company that owned Slashdot from 2000-2002. That thread was sure a big source of water cooler and lunchtime discussion.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt wrote:
rass wrote:I hope Pruitt chose to watch English football rather than football in England.
My Father's 80th birthday today - party at my brother's place, and he gets the CBS feed from Buffalo so it was on the big screen.

Hard to imagine a QB having a worse quarter than Manuel's 2nd. Two brutal pick offs (one a pick 6), a fumble that was returned for a TD (and he held on to the ball way too long), overthrowing two wide open receivers, one in the end zone...

Yet the Bills nearly won, just because the Jags play sloppier than they do. More penalties, a shitty offence, and the Bills D played well...

Until it mattered and then Bortles shredded them for the win.

The Ryan era is dissolving quickly - it is getting real ugly in Buffalo, and if they don't win a few in a row here, this could get horrible.

My Dad's a huge, Bills fan - season ticket holder for 35 years. In the last year he had a mild heart attack followed months later by a fall that broke a vertebra in his neck. He spent December-April in hospitals...

He's basically all better, healthy enough to have joked that today's game was the worst thing that happened to him all year.

Certainly, he deserved better on his birthday.
Bortles didn't do much shredding, IMO. That complete BS interference flag was the reason the Jags scored.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Giff wrote:Bill O'Brien not being fired today is a joke. He's done a completely awful job this year and then leaves a star RB with health issues in the game down 20+ points with 3 minutes left who then ruptures his Achilles? He should've been forced to take commercial back to Houston.

I have never once seen a defense just quit as badly as Houston's has twice through 7 weeks this year.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I bet on the Dolphins yesterday so it was nice not having to sweat the last three quarters of that game. You rarely get wins like that in sports betting.

Even the Houston-UCF game which I noted I bet on in some other thread I had to sweat the first three quarters and Houston rolled up the last 56 straight points or something insane like that.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Gunpowder wrote:
Giff wrote:Bill O'Brien not being fired today is a joke. He's done a completely awful job this year and then leaves a star RB with health issues in the game down 20+ points with 3 minutes left who then ruptures his Achilles? He should've been forced to take commercial back to Houston.

I have never once seen a defense just quit as badly as Houston's has twice through 7 weeks this year.
Well, at least JJ Watt's in every other commercial!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote:I don't have ability to watch it on tv - it is only on my iPhone screen which is dumb and there are also steaming issues on my end. Fuck the NFL for this.
Great Moments in Get Off My Lawn.

$3.33 solution for laptop to TV.

$14.99 solution for iPod to TV.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think TB's point is that it's dumb that you have to jump through hoops just to watch the damn game on a TV. If you want or need or prefer to stream it that's one thing, but taking even one game out of the league schedule and saying "hey, you have to watch this on a computer" is incredibly dumb. If they did it for the Lions/Chiefs game next week I would have been pissed too. I would have jumped through the league's damn hoops to do it, but it doesn't mean it makes any sense.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I think they made a wise choice of game to broadcast in this manner though.

Early morning game that most outside of Buffalo don't give a damn about, more Americans have a laptop than don't, majority have a desktop, etc.

Most I'd suspect tuned in because it's basically extra football. It's NOT that difficult to stream on a computer or hook something up so that you can watch it on the TV. I watch every game on Internet/streaming on my TV, then again I follow an out of market team.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote:I think TB's point is that it's dumb that you have to jump through hoops just to watch the damn game on a TV. If you want or need or prefer to stream it that's one thing, but taking even one game out of the league schedule and saying "hey, you have to watch this on a computer" is incredibly dumb. If they did it for the Lions/Chiefs game next week I would have been pissed too. I would have jumped through the league's damn hoops to do it, but it doesn't mean it makes any sense.
Yes. This. Succinct, from Brian.

I covered that somewhere in my ranting Syb - I don't want to HAVE to do that. It's dumb. I already pay a ton to watch the games on TV. I don't want to have to take other steps to see the game.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rush2112 wrote:I watch every game on Internet/streaming on my TV, then again I follow an out of market team.
Which one?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

If they had included a channel for that on Sunday ticket, no complaints from me. It would have been cool for those who wanted to turn it on at church or what not and stream it, but for those who had paid for the season, give them a channel for the game. For those that didn't pay for Sunday ticket, the streaming thing would have been a nice bonus. Just don't like them making it the ONLY way to watch that game.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote:I think they made a wise choice of game to broadcast in this manner though.

Early morning game that most outside of Buffalo don't give a damn about, more Americans have a laptop than don't, majority have a desktop, etc.

Most I'd suspect tuned in because it's basically extra football. It's NOT that difficult to stream on a computer or hook something up so that you can watch it on the TV. I watch every game on Internet/streaming on my TV, then again I follow an out of market team.
Rush, who do you use for your streaming? I gave up my Sunday Ticket, but I've been able to see almost every Bronco game on regular broadcast tv, anyway.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Rush, who do you use for your streaming? I gave up my Sunday Ticket, but I've been able to see almost every Bronco game on regular broadcast tv, anyway.
subreddit called nflstreams, HDMI if I watch in mancave, Chromecast if watching upstairs.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rush2112 wrote:
sancarlos wrote: Rush, who do you use for your streaming? I gave up my Sunday Ticket, but I've been able to see almost every Bronco game on regular broadcast tv, anyway.
subreddit called nflstreams, HDMI if I watch in mancave, Chromecast if watching upstairs.
So you are pirating the feed then. Which is cool for you, but not my preferred way of watching a game or games.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote:I think TB's point is that it's dumb that you have to jump through hoops just to watch the damn game on a TV. If you want or need or prefer to stream it that's one thing, but taking even one game out of the league schedule and saying "hey, you have to watch this on a computer" is incredibly dumb. If they did it for the Lions/Chiefs game next week I would have been pissed too. I would have jumped through the league's damn hoops to do it, but it doesn't mean it makes any sense.

I'd rather they test this on Jags/Bills rather than saying "oh, and by the way, we're making the switch next year and all games are going to be streamed. We'll see how it works then."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rush2112 wrote:I think they made a wise choice of game to broadcast in this manner though.

Yeah, pretty much.

At some point everything changes.

EDIT: Yeah I guess they could have put it on a DirecTV channel but maybe part of this was a test to see the reaction of people and gauge the readiness of the populaysh.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gunpowder wrote:
Bortles didn't do much shredding, IMO. That complete BS interference flag was the reason the Jags scored.
Yeah - I was too pissed off to blame that call, but it was a brutal one.

Probably comes from leading the league in actual penalties - it reminds me of the Raiders of a couple of years back, the refs are looking for penalties to call against the Bills.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I almost threw the wireless mouse at my livestream.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I will say the video quality of the stream was outstanding. It looked very good on my iPad, and I rarely had any signal degradation. Please note I only watched about 15 minutes of the game, though.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnnie wrote:Counter counter point: How often does anyone watch a game all the way through without changing the channel? Or even watch without surfing the internet on your phone. After my team's game is over, it's Red Zone Channel all day.
Counter counter counter point: if they can consistently measure "average minute audience" across platforms, that's not relevant in the comparison.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Counter counter point: How often does anyone watch a game all the way through without changing the channel? Or even watch without surfing the internet on your phone. After my team's game is over, it's Red Zone Channel all day.
If there isn;t more than one game on, I always line up a backup sporting event or show to turn to during commercials. Even cricket is preferable to a Progressive or (in Canada) Tim Hortons ad.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Sabo wrote:I will say the video quality of the stream was outstanding. It looked very good on my iPad, and I rarely had any signal degradation. Please note I only watched about 15 minutes of the game, though.
I only had it on for a few minutes near the end, which came after the pre-game show updated the game with a 34-31 score and Buffalo had the ball. In the couple minutes I had it on (last couple Bills' plays, Jags lining up to down out the clock), I had multiple buffering issues and digitized footage of what I was able to see.

I had also looked for the game when control of the television had been ceded to me a couple hours earlier. I thought that Syracuse would have qualified as a Bills' local market since they're on a local affiliate every week. Nope. So, I went to the Ticket channels. Nope.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Did it work through rain for anybody? Because that might give it a one-up over DirecTV.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Gunpowder wrote:Did it work through rain for anybody? Because that might give it a one-up over DirecTV.
I've had some very minor issues with weather since we moved, but nowhere near as many as it seemed like we would have based on the general complaints about satellite/weather issues.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I've had maybe 10 weather related brief rain outages in the 15 years I have had DirecTV - which last for only a very brief time during the heaviest of downpours. I def have had more issues than that with buffering and streaming since that came in vogue.

Again, I don't say anything about this if it was on the Ticket. For those who don't have the Ticket, I agree it was a nice bonus. For those that pay for the ticket, bullshit not to make the game available on that platform in addition to streaming.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Lions fire offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi, offensive line coach Jeremiah Washburn and assistant offensive line coach Terry Heffernan.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

can't believe there is outrage over not watching Bills-Jags at 9:30 in the morning!

on topic: chromecast works great for me
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I agree with bengal. If I was watching the league this year and had an interest (betting or otherwise) in the game I would've been annoyed at having to stream what should be a nationally televised game. If I had paid for Direct Ticket and still had to stream this, I would've been fucking pissed off.

I clearly remember when I first met Bengal, about ten years ago. At the time, the best platform for out of town MLB baseball radio was Sirius Satellite radio. My friends teased me because I had this setup, with wires going everywhere for the antenna, the cig lighter power, and the cassette deck adapter. Especially when I would load it all into a rental car or a friend's car for a road trip.

Bengal had the same setup. We get in his car, and he pulls out the player and all the wires, starts hooking it up so we could hear the Reds game during the drive. I knew I had met a kindred spirit.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…