Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BFJ (329th) + SKIP J-LO (324/325th)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BFJ (113th)

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:44 pm Randy Described Eternity is probably up there amongst my favorite songs of all-time.

Love these lyrics
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - SANCARLOS (115th)

Post by sancarlos »

Time for another of my favorite artists. The hardcore troubadour, Steve Earle and I Feel Alright.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - DIS (116th)

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I was wondering when of you guys were going to take him off the board. Not my cup of tea, but one of those guys that tend to turn up on under-rated, great artist lists.

I got another guy I might throw down in this vein, but...

Ok, newbie question, but at some point do we say we're getting close to the end? Because I have a few picks I'm pretty sure I could keep holstered, but want to make sure they're in the cabin.

Does that make sense?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:21 pm Ok, newbie question, but at some point do we say we're getting close to the end? Because I have a few picks I'm pretty sure I could keep holstered, but want to make sure they're in the cabin.

Does that make sense?
I could go on forever with this draft, because only about four of you are ever liable to pick anybody on my short list. And, my short list is actually pretty long.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I was going to ask the same question at some point.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Will trade the rights to this really good European band I might bring over in 2021 for Alice in Chains.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

As we snake our way back down the draft board, I have to ask...

Am I the only one who has never heard of Metric? I felt really old with that one.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:00 pm As we snake our way back down the draft board, I have to ask...

Am I the only one who has never heard of Metric? I felt really old with that one.
The only reason I know some pop groups (including Metric) is because of my daughter. Metric has a couple songs I think are pretty cool:
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:00 pm As we snake our way back down the draft board, I have to ask...

I had no idea who they were.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Another all timer....

D'oh! I was in a hurry, and grabbed the wrong image. Its fixed now.
Last edited by DaveInSeattle on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:22 pm Another all timer....

Pleased to Meet Me?

My wife loves the Replacements (my like for them gets drowned out by her love), and after Paul Westerberg sobered up enough to do a solo tour about 15 years ago, she hit probably a half dozen dates between Chicago, NYC and DC. I'll have to ask her about the dates.

Anyway, here she is talking to Paul, seen for a few seconds near the end of the DVD he released celebrating that tour, 'Come Feel Me Tremble'...(it's cued up to the right moment)

Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

On my list. Couldn't pick one album. I probably would have gone All Shook Down, because that's when I first heard them, but that's really more of a Westerberg solo record, and not at all like earlier Mats' records.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:22 pm Another all timer....
Fuck. Immediately after I smugly say nobody will take the artists I plan to pick, you take the next one in my queue. I was going to choose Tim for the album, though.(I love Let it Be, too.)

eta: I just noticed the incorrect album title for Pleased to meet me, too.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:50 pm On my list. Couldn't pick one album. I probably would have gone All Shook Down, because that's when I first heard them, but that's really more of a Westerberg solo record, and not at all like earlier Mats' records.

I like the songs on All Shook Down, but the production (especially the drums) is very 80's sounding.

Tim and Let It Be are great as well, but I've always felt like 'Pleased...' is them at the peak of their powers.

I saw them on that tour when I first moved to Seattle back in '87, and they came out, raged for about 20 minutes, and then they were so drunk they couldn't play anymore. Best 20 minute show I ever saw.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BSF (117th)

Post by A_B »

Workign my way through the spotify list, and I'm remembering how much I was into Wildflowers. I got that disc from Columbia House and wore it out. Every song on here I know pretty much by heart.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:17 pm

I had no idea who they were.
I'll tell you this much about them as a bit of a superfan, if you don't like Fantasies because you're broken inside, check out another album or two. They're constantly changing their sound. Live It Out is more garage rock, Pagans in Vegas and Synthetica are certainly more electronic, Grow Up and Blow Away is kinda weird and jazzy and sexy. They've got a bit of something for everyone from the music standpoint, and you get to hear Emily sing on all of it.

I've got a short list I'm bouncing between, I'll have a pick soon.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean, there are two or three aspects of this draft I am loving:

* - Going back and rediscovering groups that I'd simply forgotten how much I love. One of the things that happened when everything went pure digital is that it has been way too easy to lose your history and library.

* - The nostalgia of picks by others, remembering certain groups that maybe weren't your favorite, but with time you've maybe got a new found appreciation of their work. And a corollary to that are the picks where you go, OH SHIT, Built to Spill was on a loop for me for months, how did I forget those guys? (Okkervil is in there, too.)

* - Learning about new groups, full stop. The Neutral Milk deal is, so far, the coolest "discovery" and I haven't even gotten into a few others I'm just not familiar with.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Agreed. I've been working my way through the Spotify playlist, pretty much only playing albums I either have never listened to or haven't in a really long time. It's been pretty great.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I made a crazy discovery after listening to the #1 pick and how it connects to one of my favorite song segues at a DMB show.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:35 amI'll tell you this much about them as a bit of a superfan, if you don't like Fantasies because you're broken inside, check out another album or two.
So if I say to a superfan "Help I'm Alive" is repetitive and kinda bad but I like Metric overall, how does that work?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Same. "You Were Right", the Built to Spill song on my album choice basically steals lines from a bunch of prior songs. "You were wrong when you said...", "You were right when you said...". Never knew where "manic depression's a frustrated mess" came from until listening to BFJ's Jimi Hendrix choice.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:08 am
BSF21 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:35 amI'll tell you this much about them as a bit of a superfan, if you don't like Fantasies because you're broken inside, check out another album or two.
So if I say to a superfan "Help I'm Alive" is repetitive and kinda bad but I like Metric overall, how does that work?
Admittedly, "Help, I'm Alive" is my least favorite track on the album, and you're entitled to think Metric is still great.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I'm really kinda lost as to where I want to go now but I think at this point I'm just going to vary my catalog so I have something to listen to for every mood that strikes in the Cabin. I always gravitate towards female led bands, so let's put this one in the hopper, though very short lived, some amazing tracks. I really enjoy this album front to back. There more emotion between these two than most 50 year marriages, which is undoubtedly why they didn't last long.

BSF's Vinyl Friday selects:

The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:12 am Same. "You Were Right", the Built to Spill song on my album choice basically steals lines from a bunch of prior songs. "You were wrong when you said...", "You were right when you said...". Never knew where "manic depression's a frustrated mess" came from until listening to BFJ's Jimi Hendrix choice.
It is an excellent nod to classic rock.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:35 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:12 am Same. "You Were Right", the Built to Spill song on my album choice basically steals lines from a bunch of prior songs. "You were wrong when you said...", "You were right when you said...". Never knew where "manic depression's a frustrated mess" came from until listening to BFJ's Jimi Hendrix choice.
It is an excellent nod to classic rock.
Wonder how many of his shout outs have not been selected here yet?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sometimes the cabin needs to be a little festive, a little more fruit needs to be added to the mixed drinks, and you need to crank some Toots.

Toots & The Maytals Sweet and Dandy

(I can't find a good linkable image that's not the greatest hits rather than the selected 1969 album of the same name.)

So here's a section of the movie that basically introduced Toots and the reggae sound to the US and the world.

(plus a little Jimmy Cliff cameo)

ETA I almost went Funky Kingston, out of Toot's approximately 140 other albums, but the tracklist S&D outweighs the title song from FK's perfect groove.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - NONLINEAR (119th)

Post by Nonlinear FC »

NIIIIIICE... About to be obliquely referenced in 3... 2... 1...
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

As previously reported, NLFC was looking at Blues Traveler in this round, so they need to pivot here. Good fortune smiles upon the club, as a different and possibly more soulful option is still available.

This is another artist whose live performances are on a higher level, but his studio work channels his music into a body of work with almost equal impact. I've seen him live 3 or 4 times and love that experience, but I also think his albums tend to produce really high quality. This also adds a bit of reggae to the cabin, and while I have others more directly in that genre*, this guy covers a lot of ground.

And speaking of the cabin, mine has a fire pit and this motherfucker was clearly making this album for people to sit around and chill out by the fire. It doesn't have Burn One Down on it, but it doesn't need it to make the point.

Ben Harper - Diamonds on the Inside

* - Reference.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:48 pm Sometimes the cabin needs to be a little festive, a little more fruit needs to be added to the mixed drinks, and you need to crank some Toots.

Toots & The Maytals Sweet and Dandy

(I can't find a good linkable image that's not the greatest hits rather than the selected 1969 album of the same name.)

So here's a section of the movie that basically introduced Toots and the reggae sound to the US and the world.

(plus a little Jimmy Cliff cameo)

ETA I almost went Funky Kingston, out of Toot's approximately 140 other albums, but the tracklist S&D outweighs the title song from FK's perfect groove.
Nice pick!

I said what's your number man?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - ENOCHROOT (120th)

Post by Nonlinear FC »

54-46

Jesus, I listened to that album a lot. That was kind of weird.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ben Harper didn't even cross my mind somehow. Wow.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Giff wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:47 pm Ben Harper didn't even cross my mind somehow. Wow.
I know, right? I was chatting with my BIL (who has become a little obsessed with this draft, btw) and we were going to the list of concerts and that one hit us like a ton of bricks.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

This really would be a great running piece on the front page.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I saw him around 2000 and for the life of me can't remember where or who else played. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:07 pm As previously reported, NLFC was looking at Blues Traveler in this round, so they need to pivot here. Good fortune smiles upon the club, as a different and possibly more soulful option is still available.

This is another artist whose live performances are on a higher level, but his studio work channels his music into a body of work with almost equal impact. I've seen him live 3 or 4 times and love that experience, but I also think his albums tend to produce really high quality. This also adds a bit of reggae to the cabin, and while I have others more directly in that genre*, this guy covers a lot of ground.

And speaking of the cabin, mine has a fire pit and this motherfucker was clearly making this album for people to sit around and chill out by the fire. It doesn't have Burn One Down on it, but it doesn't need it to make the point.

Ben Harper - Diamonds on the Inside

* - Reference.

Fuck you. I was certain he would get to me this round or even later.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

And it would have been Welcome to the Cruel World. Just because the Mrs and I had our first dance to Forever.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Had they been there, I defintely would have taken the band that recorded our wedding song in the first round (not the album though, shhhh).
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I really like Pavement, but Stephen Malkmus' solo stuff tends to be better. Something about his maturation: it was high time to match his music to his deadpan, literary lyrics?
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I feel like rass is going to upset me again.