Lawnmowers

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

Post Reply

Lawnmower?

Got one
17
89%
Nope
2
11%
 
Total votes: 19

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16133
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Lawnmowers

Post by mister d » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:16 pm

Important question.
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 14086
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by Pruitt » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:18 pm

I paid a service for a few years to mow the lawn. Then we did a budget and I realized that we were paying over a grand a year when we have two healthy kids living in the house. Bought a cheap mower and saved a fortune.
"Pruitt is an outstanding representative of the team. The fans love him."

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 16467
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by brian » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:21 pm

A top five reason to move to the desert TBH.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 6347
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by wlu_lax6 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Pruitt wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:18 pm
I paid a service for a few years to mow the lawn. Then we did a budget and I realized that we were paying over a grand a year when we have two healthy kids living in the house. Bought a cheap mower and saved a fortune.
Not paying all that much but hired a service....which will get fired next summer as the boy will pickup the task. Will probably have to buy a new lawn mower because I bought a Worx rechargeable battery setup when I moved into my house. Worked great that first year. Okay the 2nd, and not at all the 3rd. Bought a replacement battery and that stunk from nearly the first day I owned it to unusable by the end of the summer. Probably will go plug in model for my boy (unless he has interest in mowing other lawns for $...then I will likely go gas).

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 13460
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by A_B » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:24 pm

A plug in model sounds like a terrible idea for someone just starting to cut the grass.
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16133
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by mister d » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:32 pm

I don't get hiring a service. Mowing the lawn is nice and relaxing.
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 10449
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by The Sybian » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:38 pm

mister d wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:32 pm
I don't get hiring a service. Mowing the lawn is nice and relaxing.
Yes! I like mowing the lawn. And on weekends when I need to step away from the kids, it's the best excuse to put on headphones and listen to a podcast or book for an hour. Mowing the lawn is the one chore my kids want to do. The self propelling feature broke years ago, so they don't have the strength to push and turn it for more than a couple minutes.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4512
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by Sabo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:40 pm

mister d wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:32 pm
I don't get hiring a service. Mowing the lawn is nice and relaxing.
Yep. Takes me an hour to mow my yard with my yard tractor and frankly, I look forward to doing it.
The Sybian wrote:Goddamnit, Sabo!

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16133
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by mister d » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:41 pm

My self-propel broke too. I thought I'd care but I'm about to start year 3 of not caring so I guess I don't.
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 13460
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by A_B » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:43 pm

I really don't love it, but it gets a bit of walking in the sun. Just got a new mower, if you hadn't sent me ad for one yet, and the self propelled works so much better than my last one. I got an electric and it's so much lighter than my previous, too.
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
Rush2112
The Dude
Posts: 5631
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:35 pm
Location: Cyrus X-1
Contact:

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by Rush2112 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:46 pm

Have to fix the self propel cable. We have just a big enough hill that mowing goes from relaxing to starting heart palpitations from trying to manoeuvre the beast. Would probably be ok if it was one of the cheap models rather than bells and whistles model.
"If you're into power let's go down to my van, because Red Barchetta through a 10 gigawatt pre-amp is-wait... pleassee tell me you're into Rush...."

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4644
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by Nonlinear FC » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:50 pm

I'm increasingly finding myself in alignment with Delaware, not sure how to process that.

I really like mowing my lawn. Put the headphones on and listen to one of my podcasts.

The piece where I would love to off-load is mulching and other more intense landscaping. We put a lot of pride in the yard, but it's getting a bit taxing.

On the flip-side, having both kids off to college (and not coaching soccer both days of the weekend/traveling to my daughter's softball games) means we actually have free weekend days for the first time in over a decade.

I don't know how I got all this shit done before.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16133
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by mister d » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:56 pm

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:50 pm
I'm increasingly finding myself in alignment with Delaware, not sure how to process that.
Embrace.
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:50 pm
The piece where I would love to off-load is mulching and other more intense landscaping. We put a lot of pride in the yard, but it's getting a bit taxing.
We're in a weird spot here. Our lawn was a disaster when we moved, like a complete layer of near rock-hard soil and barely any real grass. Our neighbor was starting up a company and we decided he could practice on ours at cost, which was perfectly symbiotic, but now its like year 3 and we could keep it up ourselves but would feel like dicks since he saved it and still gives a really solid discount.
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 5065
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by Giff » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:13 pm

Mowing's fine. Weeding flower bed can be cathartic. Fuck edging and trimming.
Muh.

User avatar
Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4169
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 am

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by Brontoburglar » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:07 pm

assuming you're physically capable and have a "normal" yard, paying for a lawn service is the most overrated/overpriced home service you can have, no?

ETA: gonna brainstorm on this for too long
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4512
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by Sabo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:08 pm

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:50 pm
The piece where I would love to off-load is mulching and other more intense landscaping. We put a lot of pride in the yard, but it's getting a bit taxing.
I enjoy spreading mulch. There's something very zen about shoveling eight cubic yards of stained and shredded wood around trees and shrubs.

I'm struggling to think of any yard work or gardening tasks I don't enjoy. I guess I get a lot of our of playing in the dirt.
The Sybian wrote:Goddamnit, Sabo!

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 5065
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by Giff » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:23 pm

Brontoburglar wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:07 pm
assuming you're physically capable and have a "normal" yard, paying for a lawn service is the most overrated/overpriced home service you can have, no?

ETA: gonna brainstorm on this for too long
Some people might not want to spend an hour in the heat and humidity when they've already worked 60 hours that week and would rather spend that time doing anything else. Well worth to me the $30 a week (during summer months...bi-monthly or monthly half the year) to the entrepreneurial guy out there just trying to make a living.
Muh.

User avatar
Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4169
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 am

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by Brontoburglar » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:24 pm

Giff wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:23 pm
Brontoburglar wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:07 pm
assuming you're physically capable and have a "normal" yard, paying for a lawn service is the most overrated/overpriced home service you can have, no?

ETA: gonna brainstorm on this for too long
Some people might not want to spend an hour in the heat and humidity when they've already worked 60 hours that week and would rather spend that time doing anything else. Well worth to me the $30 a week (during summer months...bi-monthly or monthly half the year) to the entrepreneurial guy out there just trying to make a living.
$30? Lawn prices are very cheap in Texas
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 13460
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by A_B » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:25 pm

I've had my neighbor cut mine while I was away on vacation/volleyball trip or otherwise unable to do it. He has a company that does landscaping, and he gives me a $40 deal, but mine has to be cut every week, so it would easily be 1000+ per year.
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 16467
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by brian » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:29 pm

Brontoburglar wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:24 pm
Giff wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:23 pm
Brontoburglar wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:07 pm
assuming you're physically capable and have a "normal" yard, paying for a lawn service is the most overrated/overpriced home service you can have, no?

ETA: gonna brainstorm on this for too long
Some people might not want to spend an hour in the heat and humidity when they've already worked 60 hours that week and would rather spend that time doing anything else. Well worth to me the $30 a week (during summer months...bi-monthly or monthly half the year) to the entrepreneurial guy out there just trying to make a living.
$30? Lawn prices are very cheap in Texas
Plenty of Latinos.

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 5065
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by Giff » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:40 pm

Yup. This guy has a good chunk of our block. Two or three of them there for a couple of hours and probably hit over a dozen houses.
Muh.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 11759
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by rass » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:08 pm

My lawn sucks. Two huge trees don’t help. Had sort of nursed it to a decent place the first summer we were here, then we had a kid and I had trouble making time (or giving up sleep) to keep it going. Now I could but I guess I just haven’t bothered.

I do have two lawnmowers. A neighbor gave us one he got for free and didn’t need.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 10449
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by The Sybian » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:13 pm

mister d wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:41 pm
My self-propel broke too. I thought I'd care but I'm about to start year 3 of not caring so I guess I don't.
My yard is really flat. If I had to mow my parents yard without the propel, it'd be a bitch.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16133
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by mister d » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:31 pm

The Sybian wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:13 pm
My yard is really flat. If I had to mow my parents yard without the propel, i...'d be a bitch.
Ha HA!
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 10184
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by sancarlos » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:58 pm

The Sybian wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:38 pm
mister d wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:32 pm
I don't get hiring a service. Mowing the lawn is nice and relaxing.
Yes! I like mowing the lawn. And on weekends when I need to step away from the kids, it's the best excuse to put on headphones and listen to a podcast or book for an hour. Mowing the lawn is the one chore my kids want to do. The self propelling feature broke years ago, so they don't have the strength to push and turn it for more than a couple minutes.
Agreed. Our lawn is small, so it is pretty easy to use my plug-in electric with a long extension cord and cut my own grass. I enjoy doing it. Amazingly, of the 20+ houses on our block, only a couple of us mow our own lawns.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

User avatar
travzilla
Brandt
Posts: 367
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by travzilla » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:12 pm

Moved to the country a few years ago and brought our low-end mower, expecting to buy a riding mower within a year. Never found room for it in the budget, so this will be the third summer doing the whole yard by push - 3.5 hours to walk 9km (according the iphone step tracker).
I'm also on team love-mowing, and I'm off in the summers so the time doesn't bother me, only problem is my back has been shit for the last 10 months and mowing now feels physically like a chore.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4644
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by Nonlinear FC » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 am

Giff wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:23 pm
Brontoburglar wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:07 pm
assuming you're physically capable and have a "normal" yard, paying for a lawn service is the most overrated/overpriced home service you can have, no?

ETA: gonna brainstorm on this for too long
Some people might not want to spend an hour in the heat and humidity when they've already worked 60 hours that week and would rather spend that time doing anything else. Well worth to me the $30 a week (during summer months...bi-monthly or monthly half the year) to the entrepreneurial guy out there just trying to make a living.
Yeah, back when I was coaching and my daughter was also playing travel softball, I'd have to hustle home during the week to do it. Not very zen when you know your neighbors are annoyed because it's kind of against the unwritten rules to be mowing your lawn at 7:30 pm on at Tuesday.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 13460
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by A_B » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:53 am

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 am
Giff wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:23 pm
Brontoburglar wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:07 pm
assuming you're physically capable and have a "normal" yard, paying for a lawn service is the most overrated/overpriced home service you can have, no?

ETA: gonna brainstorm on this for too long
Some people might not want to spend an hour in the heat and humidity when they've already worked 60 hours that week and would rather spend that time doing anything else. Well worth to me the $30 a week (during summer months...bi-monthly or monthly half the year) to the entrepreneurial guy out there just trying to make a living.
Yeah, back when I was coaching and my daughter was also playing travel softball, I'd have to hustle home during the week to do it. Not very zen when you know your neighbors are annoyed because it's kind of against the unwritten rules to be mowing your lawn at 7:30 pm on at Tuesday.
Fuck that. Anytime after 10 am and before dark is acceptable!
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4512
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by Sabo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:15 am

A_B wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:53 am
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 am
Giff wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:23 pm
Brontoburglar wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:07 pm
assuming you're physically capable and have a "normal" yard, paying for a lawn service is the most overrated/overpriced home service you can have, no?

ETA: gonna brainstorm on this for too long
Some people might not want to spend an hour in the heat and humidity when they've already worked 60 hours that week and would rather spend that time doing anything else. Well worth to me the $30 a week (during summer months...bi-monthly or monthly half the year) to the entrepreneurial guy out there just trying to make a living.
Yeah, back when I was coaching and my daughter was also playing travel softball, I'd have to hustle home during the week to do it. Not very zen when you know your neighbors are annoyed because it's kind of against the unwritten rules to be mowing your lawn at 7:30 pm on at Tuesday.
Fuck that. Anytime after 10 am and before dark is acceptable!
Yeah, your neighbors are tools.
The Sybian wrote:Goddamnit, Sabo!

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4644
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by Nonlinear FC » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:39 am

Yeah, I have stories, just don't have time to get into it right now.

A family moved in next store a couple of months ago and I don't think the dad likes his tribe much. He was out last night with his electric mower at 9p, with lights on the front, going to town.

That's some borderline psycho killer stuff. We all live on .25-.3 acres here. Not on top of each other, but not like mowing your lawn at all hours isn't kind of fucked up.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
Jerloma
The Dude
Posts: 5449
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by Jerloma » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:00 am

Shared tractor that I didn't buy but split maintenance costs with my neighbor. I don't need a tractor of course but why not? It's not as lazy as it sounds because you have to weed whack really good first.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16133
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by mister d » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:03 am

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:39 am
A family moved in next store a couple of months ago
Do we need to talk?
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3704
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by BSF21 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:56 am

Jerloma wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:00 am
Shared..a...t...o...t...with my neighbor...why not?... as lazy as it sounds...you have to...whack really good first.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4644
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by Nonlinear FC » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:19 pm

mister d wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:03 am
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:39 am
A family moved in next store a couple of months ago
Do we need to talk?

Wow. WTF is that? That's how 1st grade me talked.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

Post Reply