The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by A_B »

This thread depresses me. Unless I want to go out and spend 6-8 dollars a glass I can't hardly get a lot of good beer. I have a bar in my house and prefer it to going out a whole lot.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Buy a good keg for home?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:
Mr.D wrote:Enjoy By is, or was, a rotating shipment where every release wouldn't hit every state. Apparently now its ramping up big time and will be coming in 6 packs as well.
I know what Enjoy By is, actually had one this week. Berkeley Wines had cases of them sitting out, and I see them in just about every store, so I am confused why they had them behind the counter and would think anyone would wait for the store to open to pick up a bottle. Maybe they are trying to make sure people really want KBS before they give it out? A new Enjoy By comes out pretty frequently, so I didn't think they were that big a deal. It was really good, BTW. I had one of the previous releases, but don't remember if they were the same. Super fresh hops taste, very piney. It's a great DIPA, and I will buy a future release, but I wouldn't go out of my way to pick it up or get excited when the next release comes out. There are just so many great DIPAs now. I had an Avery Maharajah recently. Had no idea they were sending it to NJ now. I've heard from a couple of people it is one of the greatest beers ever. It is a great beer, but I'd put a lot of DIPAs on the same level. It was a great mix of super piney and super citrusy.

Brontoburglar wrote:Found Boulevard's new IPA (The Calling) in Greensboro NC of all places this weekend. Haven't been able to get it in KC. Go figure.

It's really damn good.

ETA: The Calling is an Imperial IPA. They have a regular IPA, Heavy Lifting IPA, that was released yesterday in cans. That's brand new too.
Are these special release, or Smokestack Series? I see the Single Wide and Double Wide everywhere, but haven't seen either of these. Finally found Double Wide sold as a single bottle, so I just bought one. Single Wide was good, I've really liked all of the Boulevard I've tried. Not a huge Saison fan, but their Tank 7 is the best I've had. A great summer beer.
Calling is a Smokestack Series sold in four packs. Heavy Lifting is a regular beer and you should be able to get it in 12s.

I think Double-Wide has been retired for the time being.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:
That's because Nugget Nectar is D-E-A-D. Maybe downhill after 3 weeks and straight up dead after 6 in bottles and on tap, still ok but not at peak in cans. Brutal if you got a case of it at the Allentown in Wegman's, especially if you bought it as a bright side 30 minutes after your team got eliminated from their conference tourney on a buzzer beater.
Just realized I still had a bottle of Nugget Nectar, and I am shocked at how bad it turned. Whatever hops it has that make it so damned good are gone, leaving a strong bitter taste with none of the good stuff to go along with it. Pissed I let it come to this. Also shows I can't manage my beer closet anymore. I need to look into hiring an assistant. Plus, a sixer of beer that needs to go fast is too much pressure.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Lagunitas Maximus IPA, quite quaffable.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Great trip to the store a couple weeks ago. I was driving by, popped in vowing not to buy anything. The employees were bored, so we started talking over free samples of all of the growler taps. I broke down and bought a bottle of Boulevard's Imperial Stout X Coffee. The process sucked me in, and I broke down. Making small talk checking out, I asked how fast the KBS sold out. She said they got sick of people chasing it down all over the State, so they tell everyone they sold out over the phone, and don't sell to people who are only there to get a KBS. She got me a bottle of KBS and Weyerbacher's Sunday Morning Stout, which is apparently a big deal in the beer snob world at a level above me. A lot of people like it better than KBS. I have no self control.

Last night I tried Clown Shoes' Billionaire. Barley wine aged in Cognac barrels. Really a great combo, and nice to try a barrel aged beer in something other than bourbon. It was somewhere between drinking a beer and sipping a cognac. It was a year old and still pretty boozy. I would think the alcohol would have been overpowering fresh.

Recently tried Hoppin' Frog's D.O.R.I.S. the Destroyer. Awesome beer. Been wanting to try B.O.R.I.S. for years, and this is the double version. Super strong char or burnt grain flavor, almost tastes like coffee. I love oatmeal stouts, and this was great. Will look for BORIS, because I think the burnt and boozier taste overwhelms a bit. I think of oatmeal stouts as being a bit lighter and milder. Highly recommend picking it up if you find it, though.

-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Very cool, I may have to check that out.

While I'm here, there seems to be a new trend in brewing single-hop IPAs. I like the idea of trying single hops, because i have no clue which hop imparts which flavor. I tried Terrapin's Ella Imperial IPA. Ella is apparently a new hop developed in New Zealand. Cool concept, and a unique flavor to the hop, but it was completely flat flavor wise. I learned that IPAs need a variety of hops for flavoring. Still curious to try one or two more.
-Pruitt
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Heading to NorCal in a couple weeks. 10th anniversary getaway for me and the missus.

Spending some time in Sonoma and planning on heading to Russian River and Lagunitas. Sierra is too far given our itinerary. But I did just see that they are the sponsor beer at the Carlifornia Roots Festival, which we may go to on the Friday of Memorial Day. We are staying in Carmel for a few days and the fairgrounds aren't very faraway.
oh shit...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Single hops are great when done well with non-bad hops. Zombie Dust is the best non-DIPA I've had.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I hate Gose so bad.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I don't mind some of them. People are going nuts over it because they think they are supposed to. (Mr. D for instance)

It's just some new (but old) style that people are discovering. Better than Cascadian/Black IPAs and the use of Belgian yeast in IPAs (blech)

Now if we just come full circle and breweries can start pumping out good porters again.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm definitely known for taking up a fight with zero critical thought of my own involved.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Not a big fan of Gose either.

Or the Belgian IPAs. But man, I will try any beer that doesn't have fruit in it.

78 degrees, medium humidity today and just back from my first round of the season. And while it started like crap (8 lost balls on holes 3-9), the back nine was just great.

So after a much needed shower, I will be diving into this - Ontario's best wheat beer.

Mmmmm.... summer is here!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:I hate Gose so bad.
I don't think I have ever tried a gose. I linked them with sours/Flanders Reds in my mind, but I don't even know if they are similar. I hate sours .
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:
I don't think I have ever tried a gose. I linked them with sours/Flanders Reds in my mind, but I don't even know if they are similar. I hate sours .
I'm not all about them, but I've enjoyed some that I've had. Crooked Stave does make some good shite...

What's the hatred for?

Gose is tart, not sour, and salty. It's a wit with a different yeast and salt.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
I'm not all about them, but I've enjoyed some that I've had. Crooked Stave does make some good shite...

What's the hatred for?

Gose is tart, not sour, and salty. It's a wit with a different yeast and salt.
I don't care for wits (have at it, Rass), tart beer doesn't sound good. And salt? Sounds like I won't be a fan, but I'm game to try one.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I've probably drank more Ninkasi in the last 24 hours than I had for my entire life prior to Friday. Good stuff tho.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote:I've probably drank more Ninkasi in the last 24 hours than I had for my entire life prior to Friday. Good stuff tho.
I hope the stuff at the source is better than what they distribute. I found it good, but not being named after the Goddess of Brewing good.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So I love he untapped app. The other day a friend asked me( because I am the guy In the office who knows beer) if I like anchor steam. I tell him it's one of my three favorite beers and one of the beers I have rated five stars and pull the app up to show him. I've nver logged anchor steam! Wtf!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Heading back to the good beer place I went for my birthday...here's the "current" list. I say current because it wasn't 100% accurate that day.

http://piesandpints.net/locations/lexington-ky" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking at the Curmudgeon and Master of Disguise and maybe Dirtwolf. Anyone got any recs?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Dirt Wolf is great. Black Butte is the 2nd best dark beer I know of behind Edmund. SN Hop Hunter smells amazing and tastes fine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Uncle Jacobs. Have this at the end or with dessert. It's a big beer in every sense of the word.

I second the Dirt Wolf, Black Butte, and Edmund. I like the Dragon's Milk as well.

Does KY always have Founders? If not I'd go for the styles that you enjoy from them.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:Heading back to the good beer place I went for my birthday...here's the "current" list. I say current because it wasn't 100% accurate that day.

http://piesandpints.net/locations/lexington-ky" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking at the Curmudgeon and Master of Disguise and maybe Dirtwolf. Anyone got any recs?
Dirtwolf is good. I like it because it is way underpriced, typically $7.99 for a 4-pack. It's a solid beer, but nothing great. I want to like Old Curmudgeon, I like Founders and old ales, it just isn't that great. Dark Penance is really good if you like black IPAs. Edmund Fitzgerald is about as good as a porter gets.

You have to go with the Uncle Jacob's, price be damned!
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote:Uncle Jacobs. Have this at the end or with dessert. It's a big beer in every sense of the word.

I second the Dirt Wolf, Black Butte, and Edmund. I like the Dragon's Milk as well.

Does KY always have Founders? If not I'd go for the styles that you enjoy from them.
Yeah, founders is pretty easy to get around here.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

As Rush can attest, I'd (blindly) urge you to pass on Founders for a true craft.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

They have exactly zero of the ones mentioned. Oh well. Having a stone hibiscusicity now. Zombie dust on the bottle list and they were out of that one too. Oh well. Still finding son new ines
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That suuuuuuucks. Zombie Dust is elite.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:Still finding son new ines
Looks like you found enough already.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I swear to god. You people and your spelling.

And wtf did my phone not change ines to ones?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Saw that on Facebook this AM. Haven't been flaccid since.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Not worth a trip to Ontario, but if you were planning on coming, you could do a lot worse than this beauty of an ale.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Walked in to a store to browse, and was shocked to find a 4 pack of Backwoods Bastard on the shelf. This is an extremely limited release that came out around October, and was gone as soon as it hit the shelves. I'm curious why it just went out now, but that store is clueless on beer. (Berkeley, Mr. D. And I still refuse to boycott Founders).
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Founders is awesome and barely doesn't make (an already arbitrary) threshold of what constitutes a craft beer. Drink what the fuck you like.

(For those of you who aren't aware, Grupo San Miguel has a 30 percent stake in Founders. Craft beer snobs insist that any company with a more than 25 percent investment from a major brewery is not a craft beer.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Boulevard is hosting an event at a local watering hole, and will have Ginger-Lemon Radler, Hibiscus Gose, and Heavy Lifting IPA on tap. Worth a trip?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

You guys will think I'm stupid but the colts light Radler is not awful. Good morning drinking beer for the beach.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote:Boulevard is hosting an event at a local watering hole, and will have Ginger-Lemon Radler, Hibiscus Gose, and Heavy Lifting IPA on tap. Worth a trip?
Is a Radler like a shandy? Never had either, despite Zumba's professed love of the Shandy. Gose in general sound gross to me, but I should try one before judging. Never had Heavy Lifting, but Double Wide was completely underwhelming. Boulevard makes great stuff, so I'd say it's worth it, but I wouldn't spend much Wife capital to go.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The one Radler I've had was Stiegl. It is quite good. Half grapefruit soda, half beer. It's very refreshing in the summer. The only Shandy I've had was Leinenkugel, and I couldn't finish my first sip. Just a horrendous drink.

It won't take much wife capital to go though, as she loves this place, and it is semi kid friendly.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.