NOTE: (Now Renamed News and Announcements)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Keg
The Big Lebowski

Re: NOTE: Don't register your actual username (and other new

Post by Keg »

Works good on my phone. Gracias, Scottie.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Thank you! Very much. I was hoping someone would check in with a report via a mobile.

Solid, Keg.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

Le Scottie wrote:NOTE: External links should open in a new window/tab now.

Test: Lonely Planet <-- with [url] tags
Test: http://www.cbssports.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <-- without [url] tags
Test: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <-- because we use it so much (I'll work on embedding video next)

. . . if you find links are still opening in the same (Swamp) window, empty your browser cache(s).

That coding took way longer than I planned on it taking. Way friggin' longer.

REPORT: any problems and so on.
ALSO:

I frigged around with the phpBB code in order to get YouTube video to embed. You'll now find a "YouTube" button above your composition window.

To embed a video, your entry will look like this (minus the red asterisks, of course):

[**youtube][/youtube**]

. . . when you click the "youtube" button, you will get both tags (begin, end) necessary to embed a video. Simply paste the URL (as seen above) BETWEEN the tags. That is ALL you need. If you have extra business concatenated on to the URL (like "&Feature" etc or "&sns=twitter" etc or "feature=player_embedded&") don't paste that in. You need ONLY the URL as seen above. Examples:

Correct: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wrong: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See my test message in the Random Videos thread for a working example.

REPORT: any problems and so on.
toonarmy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by toonarmy »

worked correctly for me.
my wallet? yeah right!
howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by howard test2 »

hood said it look good on his mobile last night
"…and, you ground into a World Series ending double play"
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

Excellent. Thanks. (Thanks, Hood)

Working on a couple of other features this evening. A couple of them might not be obvious, efficiency mostly; I'm trying to clean up the server a bit. I dug a bit of a hole for myself installing the Green (Maxthon) theme as it turned out to be the most difficult style for getting links to open in an independent window/tab (every style has to be edited to enable that feature). So it goes.

Please keep the updates coming, eh? Even if it is "everything is working properly", I need to hear it. If you guys don't tell me, I won't necessarily know.
Test Ride the Sybian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Test Ride the Sybian »

admin wrote:Excellent. Thanks. (Thanks, Hood)

Working on a couple of other features this evening. A couple of them might not be obvious, efficiency mostly; I'm trying to clean up the server a bit. I dug a bit of a hole for myself installing the Green (Maxthon) theme as it turned out to be the most difficult style for getting links to open in an independent window/tab (every style has to be edited to enable that feature). So it goes.

Please keep the updates coming, eh? Even if it is "everything is working properly", I need to hear it. If you guys don't tell me, I won't necessarily know.
In that case, everything has seemed perfect the last couple of days. Brilliant work.
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

Thanks, Syb. Very much.

Tonight's work was mostly on the server side. Rewrote a lot of older PHP code to bring it up to standard. Most of that was in the name of attempting to bring the databases to life. Yes, I have not given up on that yet. Also, there are literally hundreds of settings on the new version of phpBB, hundreds more than the older phpBB versions, and I spent a fair bit of time going over them to make sure nothing was turned off that should be on and nothing was turned on that should be off.

Added ranks.
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

Might as well start registering proper user names. Have at it.

I hit my own self-imposed deadline so I must be true to it.

When the database(s) do get connected, in whatever fashion(s), there should not be any conflict regarding usernames. Best I can tell; the issue is not the data but the structure. That is to say the format of the data since vb5 rewrote it on its own terms. Executing rollbacks is not out of the question but it may have to involve the ASO support crew and I shudder at the idea of them touching anything given that this iteration seems to be solid. So for now, we'll move ahead and you have my promise that it is an issue I will continue to attempt resolving.

One weird thing (okay . . . one seriously fucked up thing) is that if you go to http://www.sportsfrog.net/swamp/forum/t ... /the-swamp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all you see now are three sticky threads. It was five yesterday. It's vanishing. You can still find our missing threads if you Google titles or keywords (or whathaveyou) but they simply are not showing on that interface. They should. They aren't. And there is no way I am going to screw with this current Swamp just to get things to show up on the dead Swamp. That's not how to approach this at all. The trick is to find a way to get all of that history (and it appears to be there, residing on the server, albeit over-written or, rather, re-formatted by the vBulletin upgrade) to be accessible somehow, more easily, so we can either link to or continue past threads. Well, I'm pointing out the obvious. We all know why we want that data. As I said, I'm not giving up on it at all. No way. But, man, it's pissing me off.

If you want to keep your current account but change the username, it is possible that can be done. I haven't tested a case yet. If anyone wants to try that, for their own reason, I'll attempt it on my own Le Scottie account first to see if it takes.

Registering a new account will not in any way affect anything that you posted under your test account. You are not limited to one account per IP address. So if Swamper_Test registers as Swamper, the "test" posts will remain just as they are right now. If I were to register plain old "Scottie" tomorrow, I'd start off as a zero post count but it would be a perfectly acceptable username without conflicts. It would not affect the "Le Scottie" account in any way; I know you know that but I feel it should be stated anyway justincase.

Recommendation? Register your proper name. Keep going. Yes, we all start at zero but it is not as if we don't really know each other. Post often. Report any bugs you see or problems you encounter. We're pretty much "there" as far as functionality goes. I do need the feedback, sure. Any time you see anything wobble, please tell me.

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'll try to answer them for you.

I had hoped to have The Swamp completely optimized by now. Kindly know that I sincerely thank you for your collective patience for the week it has taken me to get us this far. I promise all of you that I will not give up on finding a way to provide us access to our own history. I do earnestly hope that you are all at least content with the current forum and I want everyone to know that I will continue to attempt improving it.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: NOTE: (Now Renamed News and Announcements)

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Swamp lives!

How do we set up an avatar? I couldn't find it in the UCP...
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

AussieDave wrote:How do we set up an avatar? I couldn't find it in the UCP...
User Control Panel > Profile > Edit Avatar.

That ought to get you there, mate.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

admin wrote:
AussieDave wrote:How do we set up an avatar? I couldn't find it in the UCP...
User Control Panel > Profile > Edit Avatar.

That ought to get you there, mate.
Thanks...found it...
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I'm going to register a new account just so I can get the Cincinnati Stingers for my ranking.

ETA: Everything is working. Pages opening as new tabs, general function, etc. Thanks for all of your efforts with this, Scottie.

And let's see if the YouTube link works:

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Thanks for all of your work on this place Scottie.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yes, thanks Scottie. It's nice to be back. (That bryan guy sure was an asshole though.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Glad to see it is back up and running.. Any shot at getting sportsfrog.net to forward to this swamp?
BSF21

Post by BSF21 »

Huge thanks to Scottie for getting this back up and going again.

One quick question. I registered my normal username again but I had to give it a fake email because I guess it will only let you register one email on the board. Any way to delete my test account so I can use my main email on my main profile again? Or any setting that can be tweaked so we can have multiple user names under the same email?

Pretty itty bitty gripe for the massive makeover. Thanks again. I'm pumped to get back into Swamping on the regular.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote:Huge thanks to Scottie for getting this back up and going again.

One quick question. I registered my normal username again but I had to give it a fake email because I guess it will only let you register one email on the board. Any way to delete my test account so I can use my main email on my main profile again? Or any setting that can be tweaked so we can have multiple user names under the same email?

Pretty itty bitty gripe for the massive makeover. Thanks again. I'm pumped to get back into Swamping on the regular.
Same thing for me. Or can you just change my account from Obas to Sabo?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So is it safe for me to overwrite my "The Swamp" bookmark, and commit to this place?

Thanks, Scottie, for your hard work.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

wlu_lax wrote:Glad to see it is back up and running.. Any shot at getting sportsfrog.net to forward to this swamp?
Good idea. I'll look at it today.
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

BSF21 wrote:Huge thanks to Scottie for getting this back up and going again.

I won't delete your test account. But I can disable it (like Howard's first test account which you can see in the "Test things out" thread).

Honestly, I don't know if that will open up your email account as valid. That is to say, it may still be associated with the disabled account and I don't know if phpBB will let you re-register using the same account. The reason for that is that phpBB3 has increased (dramatically) its anti-spammer defenses. It may not like multiple users (active or not) from the same account.

I'll test it out on my own Le Scottie account first and then let you know.
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

Obas wrote:Same thing for me. Or can you just change my account from Obas to Sabo?
Yep. As I just posted in reply to BSF21, let me try it on my Le Scottie account first. If that works, I'll post a "how to".
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

Steve of phpBB wrote:So is it safe for me to overwrite my "The Swamp" bookmark, and commit to this place?
Grrrr-rah. Sir, yes, sir.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Okay . . .

NOTE:

Logged in as "admin" I looked up the user name "Le Scottie" and edited it to simply "Scottie". The forum immediately changed all of the "Le Scottie" posts to "Scottie". Then I logged in as "Scottie" and it took right away. I did NOT have to re-register, did not have to enter a new password (the original one worked) or, frankly, have to do anything of note.

Before I edit anyone's account username, TELL ME HERE. Confirm and I'll make the change straight away.

ETA: And I'm certain that you have to be logged OUT while I make any change to your account.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
BSF21

Post by BSF21 »

- Actually it is probably not worth the hassle.

Someone else be the first guinea pig.
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

I can do it in a heartbeat, sure. But you know that I'll have to disable BSF21 first, right?
BSF21

Post by BSF21 »

So you would delete BSF21, then change the name of testBSF21 back to BSF21?

Mostly I just don't want to go back and set up all my prefs and stuff again. Registering with my correct email is not that big of a deal. I'll be checking frequently enough to not miss any PMs or anything.
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

BSF21 wrote:So you would delete BSF21, then change the name of testBSF21 back to BSF21?
Yes. Disable, not "delete". Everything you posted will still be there.

If you want, give me a go-ahead and then log OUT of everything. I'll post an "it's fixed" message immediately upon making the changes.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Scottie wrote:Okay . . .

NOTE:

Logged in as "admin" I looked up the user name "Le Scottie" and edited it to simply "Scottie". The forum immediately changed all of the "Le Scottie" posts to "Scottie". Then I logged in as "Scottie" and it took right away. I did NOT have to re-register, did not have to enter a new password (the original one worked) or, frankly, have to do anything of note.

Before I edit anyone's account username, TELL ME HERE. Confirm and I'll make the change straight away.

ETA: And I'm certain that you have to be logged OUT while I make any change to your account.
Thanks, Scottie. Please proceed. I will logout in one minute.
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

Sabo wrote:Thanks, Scottie. Please proceed. I will logout in one minute.
Alright. That's changed. Note the upper-case "S" in your username. You can see that all of your previous posts now say "Sabo".

If, for any reason, you can't log back in, my gmail address is sportsfrog.scottie at gmail dot com.
BSF21

Post by BSF21 »

Scottie,

I'll give you the go ahead. Logging out now
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

admin wrote:
Sabo wrote:Thanks, Scottie. Please proceed. I will logout in one minute.
Alright. That's changed. Note the upper-case "S" in your username. You can see that all of your previous posts now say "Sabo".

If, for any reason, you can't log back in, my gmail address is sportsfrog.scottie at gmail dot com.
Muchas gracias, señor!
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

BSF21 wrote:Scottie,

I'll give you the go ahead. Logging out now

Okay, I disabled BSF21 and changed testBSF21 to BSF21. In that order.

Please try logging in as BSF21. It will be the same password.
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

AND . . . anyone else that wants the same account name change done, just post here. It only takes a couple of minutes.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Is it a problem if I re-registered with all smaller case letters and the original Rex in the database has a capital R?
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

rex wrote:Is it a problem if I re-registered with all smaller case letters and the original Rex in the database has a capital R?
Not as far as I can see.

Did you want me to change your main account to an upper-case "R"? If so, same drill. Tell me, log out, pause, wait for confirmation, log back in.

ETA: And I stress "CONFIRM". If you don't tell us it worked, we'll never know.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

It did not merge my former posts or my profile stuff but I've got it fixed now.

Thanks again Scottie. You da man.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

BSF21 wrote:It did not merge my former posts or my profile stuff but I've got it fixed now.

Thanks again Scottie. You da man.
No, it was never going to merge the accounts. I just disabled one and edited the other. So you should have your real, as it were, email account associated with your Swamp account now.

Anyway, as usual, report any problems please.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I will log out so you can fix it. Thanks
admin
Maude Lebowski

Post by admin »

And anyone that wants their account adjusted, you have another day or two.

Bear in mind that all along I intended to hand-off the Administration of this place once it had its feet on solid ground again.

That is, frankly, a discussion we should collectively have. PhpBB3 is a different sort of animal than other forum software. Handing it off is not going to be as simple as "here's the Admin password, good luck".

I've talked about this, via phone, with a couple of life-sentence Swampers, trying to decide how we should move forward. And we didn't really come up with an answer.

I need your input on this. Really.