Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by govmentchedda »

I get that, and it's not like I don't like it either. It's just songs that play on the radio station before and after the ones I really want to hear.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

P.D.X. wrote:Spotify or Pandora?
I can't stand Pandora as a means of trying to find something new. Genres always piss me off within like 5 songs.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I can't imagine there's a better way than Spotify. Any artist's page has a list of recommended bands, tons of genre playlists (user and service-generated), radio based on the artist/playlist, etc. Bad news is it breaks the bank at $10/month.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

P.D.X. wrote:I can't imagine there's a better way than Spotify. Any artist's page has a list of recommended bands, tons of genre playlists (user and service-generated), radio based on the artist/playlist, etc. Bad news is it breaks the bank at $10/month.
Yup.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote:Japandroids did not disappoint. The new Cloud Nothings is nice too.
I think I've listened to "Arc Of Bar" about a thousand times this week. That song rocks.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Dr. Dog did something similar in January and donated all their proceeds SPLC.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Giff wrote:Japandroids did not disappoint. The new Cloud Nothings is nice too.
I think I've listened to "Arc Of Bar" about a thousand times this week. That song rocks.
Its now a few days later, and I'm frightened to look at what the number of plays for "Arc Of Bar" is....
Denis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Denis »

I live in Spotify. I love that shit. My weekly recommendations is like a new girlfriend every week-ly or something. There's never more than three unwanted tracks in the list. I've never paid for a month of service and, I'm almost afraid to write out loud, I haven't heard an ad between songs in over a year. I don't know why.

This week, in my recommendations, a Meat Puppets song called Aurora Borealis showed up. It's fantastic. As usual, I ended up reading their bio in the Spotify artist page, which in turn sent me on an aggressive web hunt for more info because the Spotify bio was way too aggrandizing. Better bands get three paragraphs, maybe four; Meat Puppets got fucking ELEVEN. Looked for info on one of the brothers' dead wives and found this really well written piece, albeit dated 1998.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/sho ... ar-6421612

I thought someone here might like it.

https://youtu.be/nmhNJoR53sg

https://youtu.be/mKj75d-8d8s
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Up On The Sun is one of my favourite albums of all time.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I liked the Meat Puppets.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote:I liked the Meat Puppets.
....and?
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

8tracks used to be great for finding spanking new music id never heard of but now they want money and ever since Napster I've been unwilling to do that. As for the spins... Been sahbabii lately.
Denis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Denis »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, a couple of the old-timers I like put out new albums. Woo hoo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1aHfWdVDRA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-PTpKSKRwk
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Really like that track too.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

sancarlos wrote:I liked the Meat Puppets.
I checked in this morning because it was one of those days where I'm doing desk work all day. I was looking for a recommendation for my listening pleasure and the Meat Puppets are perfect. Huevos is another great album by the Puppets.

TWILTS
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote:Really like that track too.
I'm taking my middle-age-ed ass down to the Shaky Knees Festival in May. It's the most front-loaded festival I've seen in recent memory, if not ever.

(they're playing it)..
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote:
I'm taking my middle-age-ed ass down to the Shaky Knees Festival in May. It's the most front-loaded festival I've seen in recent memory, if not ever.

(they're playing it)..
That's a very fun festival. I flew up and back from Tampa alone last year to see the Sunday lineup. Saw Frightened Rabbit, Queens of the Stone Age, Explosions in the Sky, and At the Drive In.

My wife saw this year's lineup (before they announced specific dates for each band) and wanted to do the same thing this year. However, the acts we want to see are split over the three days, and it makes less sense to fly up and back (Delta frequent flyer miles) in a day.

I'd want to see LCD Soundsystem, Pixies, Car Seat Headrest, Modern Baseball, and Pinegrove on Friday; The XX, Dr. Dog, and Sylvan Esso on Saturday; and Phoenix, Shins, Ryan Adams, Hamilton Leithauser, and Whitney on Sunday.

The other thing is that it is likely that Phoenix and Shins will play at the same time (there were 5 or 6 stages last year), and that kind of defeats the purpose.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I guess I can throw this in here too since I struck out with Giff.

Anyone have the most recent Decemberist's album "What a Terrible World..." in a digital format? I bought the record on vinyl and it had a sticker that said "Includes digital download!" and what the sticker didn't say is apparently it's cool to advertise things that expire on the outside of packaging.

I don't like to steal music, but my conscience is clear on this one. Any love?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

BSF21 wrote:I guess I can throw this in here too since I struck out with Giff.

Anyone have the most recent Decemberist's album "What a Terrible World..." in a digital format? I bought the record on vinyl and it had a sticker that said "Includes digital download!" and what the sticker didn't say is apparently it's cool to advertise things that expire on the outside of packaging.

My subscription to Apple Music more or less minimizes my need to even purchase digital downloads. No love from me, however good luck on your quest!
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:

(they're playing it)..
That's a very fun festival. I flew up and back from Tampa alone last year to see the Sunday lineup. Saw Frightened Rabbit, Queens of the Stone Age, Explosions in the Sky, and At the Drive In.

My wife saw this year's lineup (before they announced specific dates for each band) and wanted to do the same thing this year. However, the acts we want to see are split over the three days, and it makes less sense to fly up and back (Delta frequent flyer miles) in a day.

I'd want to see LCD Soundsystem, Pixies, Car Seat Headrest, Modern Baseball, and Pinegrove on Friday; The XX, Dr. Dog, and Sylvan Esso on Saturday; and Phoenix, Shins, Ryan Adams, Hamilton Leithauser, and Whitney on Sunday.

The other thing is that it is likely that Phoenix and Shins will play at the same time (there were 5 or 6 stages last year), and that kind of defeats the purpose.
I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

See if your local library has it available on cd for checkout. Then load it onto iTunes.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Never seen an expiring download before. I'd contact the label. (If nothing more than they should know that's bullshit, and you're not going to be the only one that's happened to.)
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

P.D.X. wrote:

Never seen an expiring download before. I'd contact the label. (If nothing more than they should know that's bullshit, and you're not going to be the only one that's happened to.)
Happened on the last 2 records I've bought. It's really a bummer.

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

sancarlos wrote:

See if your local library has it available on cd for checkout. Then load it onto iTunes.
BSF, that's a book borrowing building.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

bfj wrote:
sancarlos wrote:

BSF, that's a book borrowing building.
Wait. How do you borrow a book? Do you just like, plug it in, and they put the book on your phone? How would you give it back?

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

BSF21 wrote:Any love?
Check your messages.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Seems harsh. I'm not a Billy Joel fan (and reading that list really brought home how little of his catalog I really know -- even some of his "biggest" songs I didn't really recognize), but thinking there's a lot of legitimate scorn that could be brought down on purveyors of popular music a lot more reprehensible than Billy Joel.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Me too. I still laughed (even if I wasn't meant to).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

OK yep, the media's the enemy.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Over the years I've downgraded Billy Joel and upgraded Dave Matthews Band into the category of "OK, I don't really get it even if I like a song or two, but I guess I can see why people might like it"

ETA: In that scenario "Downeaster Alexa" is my Billy Joel version of "The Space Between".
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I have never heard a Billy Joel song that I enjoyed, and haven't been able to stand him since "Piano Man" was first released.

but that article is a bit much isn't it? The guy writes pop songs - and to compare his shows unfavorably with Dylan's seems a bit rich.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't know what it says about me, but the only Billy Joel songs I really like are his paeans to working-class people like Downeaster Alexa and Allentown.

Piano Man sucks, all his Christie Brinkley songs from the early to mid 80s suck.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I assume where y'all live dueling piano bars are a thing, but if I ever win a million bucks, I'm going to go to one and tip the guys $1,000 on the condition that they play no Billy Joel and Elton John songs for the entire night (and I like Elton John), but the idea is just to fuck with people because that's the kind of thing you can do when you have unlimited money. Piss people off because they went to a dueling piano bar and want to hear Piano Man or Bennie And The Jets.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:I assume where y'all live dueling piano bars are a thing, but if I ever win a million bucks, I'm going to go to one and tip the guys $1,000 on the condition that they play no Billy Joel and Elton John songs for the entire night (and I like Elton John), but the idea is just to fuck with people because that's the kind of thing you can do when you have unlimited money. Piss people off because they went to a dueling piano bar and want to hear Piano Man or Bennie And The Jets.
I've only been to one a couple times, but the best time I've ever had with a single song was "My Own Worst Enemy" by Lit.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote:I don't know what it says about me, but the only Billy Joel songs I really like are his paeans to working-class people like Downeaster Alexa and Allentown.

Piano Man sucks, all his Christie Brinkley songs from the early to mid 80s suck.
Yup. Though I like the vast majority of his album Glass Houses, though that may be a nostalgia thing, my brother was addicted to that album when it came out.