Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Godless III - Completing The Trinity

Post by sancarlos »

You should follow him on FB, so that you can comment on his post and tell him how disappointed you are in him. Oh, the possibilities...

(no... I'm not going to be the one to do it...)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Going on 2 months of no internet except the throttled, neutered version at work. So I have yet to watch this vid by Jaclyn Glenn, but I saw that it was tweeted by Richard Dawkins. She's apparently refuting a Ray Comfort video of some sort. I'm going to watch it now, but I wanted to share it here regardless.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

degenerasian wrote:Even though I'm not Christian I do see the importance of Christmas and it is worth protecting.

Can Christmas be a non-religious thing?
Yeah, at this point its more of a cultural thing. Big sis raised her kids Buddhist but still celebrated it so the kids wouldn't feel left out of all the social bs.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

A co-worker had some friends who not only wouldn't celebrate Christmas because they were avowed atheists, but when they had kids they made a point to tell the kids how stupid it was and those kids in turn caused havoc at the daycare talkign about how Santa isn't real.

I am all for differing opinions (After all, as Neal Stephenson wrote in one of the few sentences that I can quote from memory - "By populating the world with so many differing viewpoints, God gives us a sense of what it is to be omniscient.") but you also have to be aware of the blowback when you do that type of thing.

They had to change daycares.

Alright, looks like I paraphrased. Here is the actual text: "By populating the world with so many different minds, each with its own point of view, God gives us a suggestion of what it means to be omniscient"
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'll always celebrate Christmas. There's an enormous secular aspect to Christmas that seems to have dwarfed the religious aspect anyway. It's a bit of a depressing time of year so it's nice to have some cheery holidays in there. It can easily be done while ignoring the creepy virgin-ghost birth thing.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Isn't Santa, like, the perfect spokes-fictional-character for a secular Xmas?
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

I don't think anyone disbelieves as much as I do, but dayum people, fucking kids get to be kids once in their shitty lives, why the fuck would you take Santa Claus away?

FWIW, I'm with J-Lo, you boycott Santa if you're trying to boycott the materialism and consumerism associated with the holiday. But the Jolly ole Elf (or Rudolf, or Frosty) ain't got nothing to do with religion.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

P.D.X. wrote:Isn't Santa, like, the perfect spokes-fictional-character for a secular Xmas?
Is that directed at me? I got no issue with Santa unless you're going to threaten the kids with eternal damnation or tell them that they have no moral compass when they start to doubt his existence.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Jerloma wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:Isn't Santa, like, the perfect spokes-fictional-character for a secular Xmas?
Is that directed at me? I got no issue with Santa unless you're going to threaten the kids with eternal damnation or tell them that they have no moral compass when they start to doubt his existence.
It was directed at the atheists in AB's yarn.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So I'm at my niece's birthday party this weekend and I have four kids confirm to me that the science teacher at the local high school prefaces all her evolution lessons with, "I just have to tell you...they make me teach you this. I don't believe any of it because I'm a Christian and I believe in the bible."

Besides just being a fuck-awful science teacher...is that even legal?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

It would be the same as a religious studies teacher prefacing everything with "I don't believe any of this bullshit but here y'go."
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Right. Forget about evolution...if you're teaching kids that well-established scientific theories are just a matter of belief or disbelief, you're skull-fucking the whole idea of science and failing those kids miserably.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Scottie wrote:It would be the same as a religious studies teacher prefacing everything with "I don't believe any of this bullshit but here y'go."
I had one like that. He was awesome. OK, it wasn't religious studies per se, an English department course that deconstructed (some) of the Bible as a work of literature.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Why someone who is so adamantly religious that they feel the need to inject their opinion into the curriculum would become a science teacher in the first place is beyond me. You raise a good question, however. Is that even legal? Or if legal is not the right word then permissible?

"Well, I'm here to teach English to you kids but I have to tell you that my first language is Unicorn and all other languages are utter nonsense compared to it."

So what? Shut up and do your job like everyone else. If you don't want to teach evolution, a divisive topic that should not be the least bit divisive, then don't be a science teacher.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Would love to see a math teacher try to get away with this.

"OBAMA WOULD LOVE YOU TO THINK THAT IN 3X+1=4 THAT X IS 1, BUT THAT'S ALL PART OF THE COMMUNIST, LIBERAL AGENDA!"
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Was going to put this in the Link Dump thread, but it's semi-relevant here.

These guys are kinda genius.

Though the homeowner's first clue should have been that black Mormons are about as rare as Skittles-crapping unicorns.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

howard wrote:
Scottie wrote:It would be the same as a religious studies teacher prefacing everything with "I don't believe any of this bullshit but here y'go."
I had one like that. He was awesome. OK, it wasn't religious studies per se, an English department course that deconstructed (some) of the Bible as a work of literature.
It is a work of literature, of course. And it is best examined (examined, not followed) in much the same way that the works of Shakespeare or Mozart or Botticelli, for example(s) are examined. Shakespeare didn't come up with all those storylines. He just wrote them better than anyone else. Mozart didn't dream up the librettos for his operas; they were standards mostly. Botticelli didn't come up with the image for The Annunciation or a chick on a scallop shell; countless people painted the same thing before and after he did, his work is just more famous. Bible authors didn't invent flood or creation mythology or some little guy slaying a giant; they simply rebooted worn allegories. Interpreting the Bible as anything other than literature is a failure; as absurd as worshipping The Epic Of Gilgamesh or Beowulf. Or Hamlet. Or Harry Potter.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Scottie wrote:So what? Shut up and do your job like everyone else. If you don't want to teach evolution, a divisive topic that should not be the least bit divisive, then don't be a science teacher.
She even has her fucking degree in Wildlife Biology. How the hell do you even get through that being a young earth creationist? Then if you look at her shitty website, the Physical Science tab has a whole agenda and course outline and the Biology tab is just completely blank.
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

brian wrote:Was going to put this in the Link Dump thread, but it's semi-relevant here.

These guys are kinda genius.

Though the homeowner's first clue should have been that black Mormons are about as rare as Skittles-crapping unicorns.
Man, I thought of that like 35 years ago. Again, ahead of my time.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So which is the smart party, here? Is it the atheists, who live short, selfish, stunted little lives – often childless – before they approach hopeless death in despair, and their worthless corpses are chucked in a trench (or, if they are wrong, they go to Hell)? Or is it the believers, who live longer, happier, healthier, more generous lives, and who have more kids, and who go to their quietus with ritual dignity, expecting to be greeted by a smiling and benevolent God?

Obviously, it’s the believers who are smarter. Anyone who thinks otherwise is mentally ill.
Wow. Give this man a Pulitzer already.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

In retrospect, I'm pretty sure I had a unique/awesome religion aspect to my Catholic high school.

I found out about 2 years ago that one of my religion teachers was gay. Another religion teacher showed us The Last Temptation of Christ in class as a way to show how people can use an perspective to influence ideals. (Or rather just show us a way people go "Oh, the Catholic Church can get all preachy and dignified. Well this is what happens when someone does the same thing but opposite of what the Catholic Church thinks.) He was eventually fired for something. And my other religion teacher told us day 1 that "there are different ways up the mountain and each of us is taking our own route. No one route is more correct than another."

So needless to say, I was taught to keep an open mind about everything and everyone. That differences between individuals are what makes learning interesting. And that there was more philosophy and introspection to be learned from morality of just being good than "there's a dude in the sky who loves you unconditionally...except he'll send you to eternal damnation if you don't accept him/his kid as your personal lord and savior."

I guess this is what happens when you teach a bunch of kids destined for high priced/heathn Lib'rul colleges in MA.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I love this lawsuit. As it should be obvious, there are laws against churches endorsing political candidates. It's part of that whole, "You stay out of our business and we'll stay out of yours and not even make you pay taxes" thing. The law of course, applies to all 501C3's, not just religious organizations. As you also know, churches essentially don't give a fuck. They've even organized something called Pulpit Freedom Sunday, where they blatantly get all political from the pulpit, record themselves doing it, and send the videos to the IRS. The IRS still does nothing about it (they should lose their 501C3) and the churches use this as proof that we're a Christian nation or some shit.

So now the FFRF comes up with a brilliant idea...they're suing the IRS. The IRS tried to block the lawsuit saying that the FFRF didn't have standing, and a judge has just passed it on allowing it to be heard...
If it is true that the IRS has a policy of not enforcing the prohibition on campaigning against religious organizations, then the IRS is conferring a benefit on religious organizations (the ability to participate in political campaigns) that it denies to all other § 501(c)(3) organizations, including the Foundation. As a victim of the IRS’s alleged discrimination, the Foundation has suffered an injury in fact.

What the IRS seems to be saying is that because the Foundation has not already proved that the IRS has a policy of favoring religious organizations, it lacks standing to attempt to prove that such a policy exists. But of course this is wrong. If the Foundation is unable to prove that the IRS has a policy of favoring religious organizations, then its claim will fail on the merits, not for lack of standing.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Doesn't matter. The fundies that claim to be the "moral majority" already are the minority in terms of socially progressive issues. Unfortunately, the "moderate" Christians will always make them the majority just by associating themselves with the same bronze age beliefs. The only difference is that the moderate does more cherry-picking. At the end of the day...as long as they lend any part of that terrible book divine authority...the fundies have them in their corner. It doesn't matter what you really think, it matters how much money you're willing to give us for an empty promise of immortality so that we can oppress the fuck out of those we reject.

Social engineering at it's best. You think we're your enemy, yet you're keeping us breathing.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Saw a car with this on the back on my way to work, maybe we should get one for Jerloma for Christmas?

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So what they're saying is that the bigger fish eats the smaller fish thus increasing it's chance of survival and in turn it's chance of passing on it's genes and making more big fish?
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

You speak the truth.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Actually, the truth is eating the Darwin Blimp. Not as famous as the goodyear or the snoopy 2.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah...that's not going to end well for the NJ DMV.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You can always count on Fox News for a laughably bad title:

Air Force cracking down on Christians

And you can also count on the most ridiculous hyperbolic quotes/writing possible:
Christians are under attack, the pastor warned – and Lackland Air Force Base seems to be ground zero.
“I’m raising the warning,” the pastor said. “It’s not a good situation out here. The military’s job is not to fight these kinds of battles. Christians are having to walk so carefully. I hear it every Sunday at church.”
“I can’t imagine someone having their Miranda Rights read to them like they did to Sgt. Monk simply because he is complaining about being mistreated and being discriminated against,” he said. “This kind of retaliation needs to come to a stop.”
“Christians have to go into the closet,” he said. “We are being robbed of our dignity and respect. We can’t be who we are.”
And the closing line from Todd Starnes:
Sadly, [the Monk family] values are no longer seen as virtuous in a military that’s been turned into a social-engineering petri dish.
I love me some Christian Persecution Complex.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I love me some Christian Persecution Complex.
An oppressive majority delusionally feels persecuted by a small minority. What could possibly go wrong?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Arian Foster is kind of awesome.
6. The flying spaghetti monster. There are billions of people on Earth with hundreds of religions and sects that trickle off each other. I will never tell her what to believe in. I know parents are very influential on kids' spiritual beliefs and that can be a positive or negative thing. I can give her a basic understanding of religions when she starts showing interest and asking questions. But I will remain silent otherwise. How can I make a young mind believe this is the truth for them when they don't yet have the capacity nor the cognitive desire to delve into something like this? If she shows interest I would advise her to fully investigate a religion and see if it fits her. And if she chooses none of the above, I'll be fine with that as well. The values I instill in her should guide her to her decision. What's most important, I believe, is to support her decision no matter what.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Unquestionably a smart, if not philosophical, guy. Among pro athletes, relatively, he's brilliant. Foster is one of the very very few pro athletes that I followed on Twitter. He's a rarity and occasionally posted musings that are about as profound as one can get in 140-character Twitter. Too bad he permanently quit it back in March.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

He's fun to root for, that's for sure.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

How do you cure teenage boys of those nasty, impure, homosexual thoughts?

You fuck them.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:How do you cure teenage boys of those nasty, impure, homosexual thoughts?

You fuck them.
In his confession to police, the reverend says he prayed for the kids while they had sex with him. "When they would ejaculate, they would be getting rid of the evil thoughts in their mind," he told police.
Unbelievable. I don't know Iowa law, but I'm guessing this isn't a valid defense to raping a minor.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Awesome new anti-atheist movie trailer featuring Kevin Sorbo as the worst professor ever...

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Kevin Sorbo can't even act smart.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:Kevin Sorbo can't even act smart.

And that is precisely why he got the role. To make college professors look bad. This is just trying to perpetuate the myth that non-Christian colleges brainwash students into atheism and other evil Liberal ideas. It also looks like they are throwing in a healthy chunk of Christian Oppression, as he is threatened with failing just for believing in G-d, his way too hot for him girlfriend is going to dump him because he is doing G-d's work, and he will probably be ostracized and teased for believing in
G-d.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt