Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BFJ (329th) + SKIP J-LO (324/325th)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - PDX (107th)

Post by L-Jam3 »

Round 7 seems like it's about time to take a Caucasian rock act. Between the harmonizing between Staley and Cantrell, to the songwriting, to the fact that they were always one of my favorite groups:

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:05 am Raconteurs are a Brendan Benson band, right?
Alternative to Love was a solid album.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - CHEDDA (112th)

Post by A_B »

I think you could make an argument that Sabbath is an Iommi joint, right, and not Ozzy?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A_B wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:47 am I think you could make an argument that Sabbath is an Iommi joint, right, and not Ozzy?
That's a good question. Obviously the lineup rotated around Iommi but Ozzy was original vocalist + on 9 (out of 20) albums.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:27 am
Jerloma wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:23 am I'll add my 2nd and 3rd self-titled debuts, both of which I played the fuck out of in college.

Shit and Fuck.

Those are the first two albums, not just artists, that were very high on my list, especially Blues Traveler, which was coming off the board this round. Sure, a couple of other picks hit close, but these two are direct "you sank my battleship" shit.

Damn.
It's a little eerie how much satisfaction I got from this.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:29 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:27 am
Jerloma wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:23 am I'll add my 2nd and 3rd self-titled debuts, both of which I played the fuck out of in college.

Shit and Fuck.

Those are the first two albums, not just artists, that were very high on my list, especially Blues Traveler, which was coming off the board this round. Sure, a couple of other picks hit close, but these two are direct "you sank my battleship" shit.

Damn.
It's a little eerie how much satisfaction I got from this.
Yeah, I spent the weekend wondering if it would have been worth picking The Jayhawks (which was probably my second pick at the time) in this round just to spite Enoch (who picked them immediately after me) even if in a vacuum I do like the album I picked a little more.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Debating between two absolute gem albums by the same artist. One released in '97, the other '99. Any guesses while I listen to both and finalize my decision?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its Built to Spill.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:47 pm Debating between two absolute gem albums by the same artist. One released in '97, the other '99. Any guesses while I listen to both and finalize my decision?
Jay-Z.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Spice Girls

Blur
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

nah nah nah nah na-nah nah
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sleater Kinney
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Guys, I'm right.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:05 pm Guys, I'm right.
Yeah, I suspect you are.

But Imma keep going.

Blink-182 (bwah!)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yep. Despite the back to back bangers "Out of Site" and "Kicked it in the Sun" (two perfect songs) on Perfect From Now On, I'm going with Keep It Like a Secret, an album that is special in other ways. Where PFNO is alternajambandy (only one song less than 6:00), and great, I'm not gonna always be in the mood for the long players.

KILAS brought BtS back closer to where they were song length wise when I first heard them (1994's There's Nothing Wrong With Love), and there's more than enough in "Carry the Zero", "Time Trap", and "You Were Right" to more than make up for the genius that I'm missing in not selecting PFNO.

mister d
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BFJ (113th)

Post by mister d »

If you're me and never really got into them, which album are you starting with here?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:15 pm If you're me and never really got into them, which album are you starting with here?
I know you're not asking me, but I'd go with the one he picked.

If you want one song to get you hooked, I'd say You Were Right.

That's one of my favorite songs. I can listen to it on a loop for 30-40 minutes. Not even slightly kidding.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:07 pm Yep. Despite the back to back bangers "Out of Site" and "Kicked it in the Sun" (two perfect songs) on Perfect From Now On, I'm going with Keep It Like a Secret, an album that is special in other ways. Where PFNO is alternajambandy (only one song less than 6:00), and great, I'm not gonna always be in the mood for the long players.

KILAS brought BtS back closer to where they were song length wise when I first heard them (1994's There's Nothing Wrong With Love), and there's more than enough in "Carry the Zero", "Time Trap", and "You Were Right" to more than make up for the genius that I'm missing in not selecting PFNO.

Never heard of Built to Spill until about a month ago, which is convenient since I'll be seeing them open for the Afghan Whigs in late April.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'd start with Keep It Like a Secret ('99), then probably go to There's Nothing Wrong With Love ('94), then The Normal Years ('96)(B-sides and outtakes album to get you ready for Perfect from Now On ('97), then Ancient Melodies of the Future ('01). If you're still around through all that, I'd go to the newer stuff which is all good, but can be hit or miss, depending on the song.

You Were Right is fantastic (love the callback lyrics), but Else is amazing. It's such a Doug Martsch love song.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sabo, I'd love to see them live again. You're in for a treat. They have a bit of an unaffected by it all attitude that they give off live, and Doug Martsch really does play the guitar like he's got Parkinson's, but my god they sound fantastic live. Bring earplugs, they can be quite loud.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

So many good songs on this album.

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:45 pm Sabo, I'd love to see them live again. You're in for a treat. They have a bit of an unaffected by it all attitude that they give off live, and Doug Martsch really does play the guitar like he's got Parkinson's, but my god they sound fantastic live. Bring earplugs, they can be quite loud.
Thanks for the tip. But the Whigs are pretty damn loud too, so earplugs were always part of the plan.

And Martsch probably doesn't have guitar Parkinson's as bad as Pat Metheny.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sabo wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:57 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:45 pm Sabo, I'd love to see them live again. You're in for a treat. They have a bit of an unaffected by it all attitude that they give off live, and Doug Martsch really does play the guitar like he's got Parkinson's, but my god they sound fantastic live. Bring earplugs, they can be quite loud.
Thanks for the tip. But the Whigs are pretty damn loud too, so earplugs were always part of the plan.

I'll let you be the judge and report back.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Thanks for the tip. But I'm an old-ass white dude, so earplugs were always part of the plan.

FIFY
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:58 pm

I'll let you be the judge and report back.
Come one. Metheny plays like he's having the most intense six-minute-long orgasm of all time.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's certainly orgasmic. If he wants to make that sound, why he doesn't just play the soprano sax?

Not really a perfect example of his stage Parkinson's, but you get the gist.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:07 pm That's certainly orgasmic. If he wants to make that sound, why he doesn't just play the soprano sax?
When we meet for the first time, I'm gonna punch you because of this comment.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:07 pm That's certainly orgasmic. If he wants to make that sound, why he doesn't just play the soprano sax?

Not really a perfect example of his stage Parkinson's, but you get the gist.
At the 20:00 mark of this video, Doug asks the venue staff how much time they have left, says he needs to know so he can figure out what to play, then goes into a 17:00 version of Broken Chairs.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:43 pm I'd start with Keep It Like a Secret ('99), then probably go to There's Nothing Wrong With Love ('94), then The Normal Years ('96)(B-sides and outtakes album to get you ready for Perfect from Now On ('97), then Ancient Melodies of the Future ('01). If you're still around through all that, I'd go to the newer stuff which is all good, but can be hit or miss, depending on the song.

You Were Right is fantastic (love the callback lyrics), but Else is amazing. It's such a Doug Martsch love song.
I was banking on taking You in Reverse next time around.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Say, this Built To Spill bunch sounds pretty good.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:27 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:43 pm I'd start with Keep It Like a Secret ('99), then probably go to There's Nothing Wrong With Love ('94), then The Normal Years ('96)(B-sides and outtakes album to get you ready for Perfect from Now On ('97), then Ancient Melodies of the Future ('01). If you're still around through all that, I'd go to the newer stuff which is all good, but can be hit or miss, depending on the song.

Well, I'm glad I picked when I did. Wasn't sure if BtS was widely known around here.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is definitely a pick of artist over singular album because any of the last three could be my favorite on a given day ...

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - SANCARLOS (115th)

Post by govmentchedda »

I posted in Spins the other day about how much I loved, "New York". Haven't listened to too much else of hers. Need to fix that.

Where to start?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Randy Described Eternity is probably up there amongst my favorite songs of all-time.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:43 pm I posted in Spins the other day about how much I loved, "New York". Haven't listened to too much else of hers. Need to fix that.

Where to start?

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:34 pm

Well, I'm glad I picked when I did. Wasn't sure if BtS was widely known around here.
I love the expansive lo-fi to Built to Spill. I'd drop a comparative blend of two bands that I think aptly describes them, but I might need those arrows.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:43 pm I posted in Spins the other day about how much I loved, "New York". Haven't listened to too much else of hers. Need to fix that.

Where to start?
Full albums, I'd go: Strange Mercy (3rd) > St. Vincent (4th) > Masseducation (5th) and then back to the first two. Something seemed to click on the 3rd where it went from good songs to fully good album.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

One of BSFGF's favs. I just learned about her when I bought her Masseduction to cheer her up one week. I like it more every listen.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Forgot how much I liked this one too. Put it on after your post, and it's quite good. The highs aren't as hgh as KILAS or PFNO, in my opinion, but the whole album is great.