Nope
13%

Total votes: 24

mister d
The Dude

Lawnmowers

Post by mister d »

Important question.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Lawnmowers

Post by Pruitt »

I paid a service for a few years to mow the lawn. Then we did a budget and I realized that we were paying over a grand a year when we have two healthy kids living in the house. Bought a cheap mower and saved a fortune.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A top five reason to move to the desert TBH.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:18 pm I paid a service for a few years to mow the lawn. Then we did a budget and I realized that we were paying over a grand a year when we have two healthy kids living in the house. Bought a cheap mower and saved a fortune.
Not paying all that much but hired a service....which will get fired next summer as the boy will pickup the task. Will probably have to buy a new lawn mower because I bought a Worx rechargeable battery setup when I moved into my house. Worked great that first year. Okay the 2nd, and not at all the 3rd. Bought a replacement battery and that stunk from nearly the first day I owned it to unusable by the end of the summer. Probably will go plug in model for my boy (unless he has interest in mowing other lawns for $...then I will likely go gas).
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

A plug in model sounds like a terrible idea for someone just starting to cut the grass.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't get hiring a service. Mowing the lawn is nice and relaxing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:32 pm I don't get hiring a service. Mowing the lawn is nice and relaxing.
Yes! I like mowing the lawn. And on weekends when I need to step away from the kids, it's the best excuse to put on headphones and listen to a podcast or book for an hour. Mowing the lawn is the one chore my kids want to do. The self propelling feature broke years ago, so they don't have the strength to push and turn it for more than a couple minutes.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:32 pm I don't get hiring a service. Mowing the lawn is nice and relaxing.
Yep. Takes me an hour to mow my yard with my yard tractor and frankly, I look forward to doing it.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My self-propel broke too. I thought I'd care but I'm about to start year 3 of not caring so I guess I don't.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I really don't love it, but it gets a bit of walking in the sun. Just got a new mower, if you hadn't sent me ad for one yet, and the self propelled works so much better than my last one. I got an electric and it's so much lighter than my previous, too.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Have to fix the self propel cable. We have just a big enough hill that mowing goes from relaxing to starting heart palpitations from trying to manoeuvre the beast. Would probably be ok if it was one of the cheap models rather than bells and whistles model.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm increasingly finding myself in alignment with Delaware, not sure how to process that.

I really like mowing my lawn. Put the headphones on and listen to one of my podcasts.

The piece where I would love to off-load is mulching and other more intense landscaping. We put a lot of pride in the yard, but it's getting a bit taxing.

On the flip-side, having both kids off to college (and not coaching soccer both days of the weekend/traveling to my daughter's softball games) means we actually have free weekend days for the first time in over a decade.

I don't know how I got all this shit done before.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:50 pm I'm increasingly finding myself in alignment with Delaware, not sure how to process that.
Embrace.
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:50 pm The piece where I would love to off-load is mulching and other more intense landscaping. We put a lot of pride in the yard, but it's getting a bit taxing.
We're in a weird spot here. Our lawn was a disaster when we moved, like a complete layer of near rock-hard soil and barely any real grass. Our neighbor was starting up a company and we decided he could practice on ours at cost, which was perfectly symbiotic, but now its like year 3 and we could keep it up ourselves but would feel like dicks since he saved it and still gives a really solid discount.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Mowing's fine. Weeding flower bed can be cathartic. Fuck edging and trimming.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

assuming you're physically capable and have a "normal" yard, paying for a lawn service is the most overrated/overpriced home service you can have, no?

ETA: gonna brainstorm on this for too long
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:50 pmThe piece where I would love to off-load is mulching and other more intense landscaping. We put a lot of pride in the yard, but it's getting a bit taxing.
I enjoy spreading mulch. There's something very zen about shoveling eight cubic yards of stained and shredded wood around trees and shrubs.

I'm struggling to think of any yard work or gardening tasks I don't enjoy. I guess I get a lot of our of playing in the dirt.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:07 pm assuming you're physically capable and have a "normal" yard, paying for a lawn service is the most overrated/overpriced home service you can have, no?

Some people might not want to spend an hour in the heat and humidity when they've already worked 60 hours that week and would rather spend that time doing anything else. Well worth to me the $30 a week (during summer months...bi-monthly or monthly half the year) to the entrepreneurial guy out there just trying to make a living.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Giff wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:23 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:07 pm assuming you're physically capable and have a "normal" yard, paying for a lawn service is the most overrated/overpriced home service you can have, no?

Some people might not want to spend an hour in the heat and humidity when they've already worked 60 hours that week and would rather spend that time doing anything else. Well worth to me the $30 a week (during summer months...bi-monthly or monthly half the year) to the entrepreneurial guy out there just trying to make a living.
$30? Lawn prices are very cheap in Texas
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I've had my neighbor cut mine while I was away on vacation/volleyball trip or otherwise unable to do it. He has a company that does landscaping, and he gives me a $40 deal, but mine has to be cut every week, so it would easily be 1000+ per year.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:24 pm

$30? Lawn prices are very cheap in Texas
Plenty of Latinos.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yup. This guy has a good chunk of our block. Two or three of them there for a couple of hours and probably hit over a dozen houses.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My lawn sucks. Two huge trees don’t help. Had sort of nursed it to a decent place the first summer we were here, then we had a kid and I had trouble making time (or giving up sleep) to keep it going. Now I could but I guess I just haven’t bothered.

I do have two lawnmowers. A neighbor gave us one he got for free and didn’t need.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:41 pm My self-propel broke too. I thought I'd care but I'm about to start year 3 of not caring so I guess I don't.
My yard is really flat. If I had to mow my parents yard without the propel, it'd be a bitch.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:13 pmMy yard is really flat. If I had to mow my parents yard without the propel, i...'d be a bitch.
Ha HA!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:38 pm
Yes! I like mowing the lawn. And on weekends when I need to step away from the kids, it's the best excuse to put on headphones and listen to a podcast or book for an hour. Mowing the lawn is the one chore my kids want to do. The self propelling feature broke years ago, so they don't have the strength to push and turn it for more than a couple minutes.
Agreed. Our lawn is small, so it is pretty easy to use my plug-in electric with a long extension cord and cut my own grass. I enjoy doing it. Amazingly, of the 20+ houses on our block, only a couple of us mow our own lawns.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

Moved to the country a few years ago and brought our low-end mower, expecting to buy a riding mower within a year. Never found room for it in the budget, so this will be the third summer doing the whole yard by push - 3.5 hours to walk 9km (according the iphone step tracker).
I'm also on team love-mowing, and I'm off in the summers so the time doesn't bother me, only problem is my back has been shit for the last 10 months and mowing now feels physically like a chore.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, back when I was coaching and my daughter was also playing travel softball, I'd have to hustle home during the week to do it. Not very zen when you know your neighbors are annoyed because it's kind of against the unwritten rules to be mowing your lawn at 7:30 pm on at Tuesday.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 am

Yeah, back when I was coaching and my daughter was also playing travel softball, I'd have to hustle home during the week to do it. Not very zen when you know your neighbors are annoyed because it's kind of against the unwritten rules to be mowing your lawn at 7:30 pm on at Tuesday.
Fuck that. Anytime after 10 am and before dark is acceptable!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:53 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 am

Fuck that. Anytime after 10 am and before dark is acceptable!
Yeah, your neighbors are tools.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I have stories, just don't have time to get into it right now.

A family moved in next store a couple of months ago and I don't think the dad likes his tribe much. He was out last night with his electric mower at 9p, with lights on the front, going to town.

That's some borderline psycho killer stuff. We all live on .25-.3 acres here. Not on top of each other, but not like mowing your lawn at all hours isn't kind of fucked up.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Shared tractor that I didn't buy but split maintenance costs with my neighbor. I don't need a tractor of course but why not? It's not as lazy as it sounds because you have to weed whack really good first.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:39 amA family moved in next store a couple of months ago
Do we need to talk?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:00 am Shared..a...t...o...t...with my neighbor...why not?... as lazy as it sounds...you have to...whack really good first.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:03 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:39 amA family moved in next store a couple of months ago
Do we need to talk?

Wow. WTF is that? That's how 1st grade me talked.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just learned my town has banned gas powered blowers so curious if anyone has strong opinions on any of the electric systems out there. Would probably end up doing a mower/trimmer/blow...er and would want to be able to swap batteries among all of them.

Thank you,
Mister D
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Huh. Just for the summer months, basically.

I know one the trustees who voted against it. Nice guy.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

mister d wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:14 pm Just learned my town has banned gas powered blowers so curious if anyone has strong opinions on any of the electric systems out there. Would probably end up doing a mower/trimmer/blow...er and would want to be able to swap batteries among all of them.

Thank you,
Mister D
I have a GreenWorks mower and it's great. Also an Ego 2 stage snow blower. If I were to buy them again I'd get both from Ego to be able to swap batteries, but really like them both.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I have an ego lawn mower and love it. Black and decker cordless blower and it’s fine for my needs but I have basiscally zero trees of note near my property so I don’t need a lot of capability. Works good for blowing off sidewalks and random swampers.

Just making it easy for you guys.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Corded toro puts out a lot of power. Cheap.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I’ve had a Greenworks blower and trimmer for three seasons now and they work great Still using the same battery for both.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?