NFL Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: NFL Offseason Thread

Post by Rush2112 »

Well of course, keeping the opposition from scoring points isn't like the purpose of the defense anyway.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote:Well of course, keeping the opposition from scoring points isn't like the purpose of the defense anyway.
Do you get the mathematic rationale why scoring defense is not the best metric for judging a defense or are you trolling for trolling's sake?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I get it. It's just sometimes I think that statistics are created just so people have statistics to talk about.

Points against typically signifies success, i.e 8 of the top 10 teams in points allowed made the playoffs and all 10 were in the running in week 17.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Going from the Bills to the Browns seems like such a lateral move.

Ba-dum-cha! Try the veal!
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:I get it. It's just sometimes I think that statistics are created just so people have statistics to talk about.

Points against typically signifies success, i.e 8 of the top 10 teams in points allowed made the playoffs and all 10 were in the running in week 17.
And countering an argument is not really trolling.

I like stats, but find the current fetish for creating new statistical analyses to be a bit comical. I don't need a complicated mathematical formula to tell me what I can see with my own eyes.

So when I read that the Bills had the 4th bet defence in the NFL this year, I have to wonder about the methodology that would produce such a laughable ranking. I have no doubt that the guys who created DVOA are sincere in their belief that they have created a better way to rank defences than the methods used in the past - but I'll stick with yardage, points and turnovers.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm not suggesting scoring defense is completely meaningless, but it's nowhere near as accurate as DVOA. For starters, scoring defense also includes points the offense is responsible for (directly and indirectly), as well as special teams.

Umpteen years Football Outsiders has been doing DVOA now and I still fail to understand how the advantages of context-dependent stats vex so many people.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote:...but I'll stick with yardage, points and turnovers.
Two of those three are HORRIBLE ways to judge a defense. Yards are basically meaningless since you can't win a football game by gaining 500 yards and scoring 0 points, which is of course theoretically possible. Study after study after study after study has shown that turnovers are 90 percent random chance and there is no correlation from game to game or year to year as far as forcing turnovers.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rush2112 wrote:I get it. It's just sometimes I think that statistics are created just so people have statistics to talk about.

No way, the teams that give up the least amount of points were good?

When Jeff Tuel (?!?!?!) throws a 100+ yard pick-6, the Bills give up points. When EJ Manuel gives the Steelers good field position for the 9th game in a game, points will be scored.

My favorite stats are per-play stats (yards allowed and points allowed), even though none of those are perfect. The Steelers of 2012 were the number 1 defense, I believe, in yards allowed. But they were middle of the pack in yards/points per play allowed, because they led the NFL in time of possession. They also barely forced any turnovers. And that's how the #1 defense went 8-8 and really wasn't the #1 defense. (or top 5 or whatever they were).

Football is not simple and simple stats don't do it justice, which is why DVOA and stuff like that exists. Yards allowed is like the pitcher wins of defensive stats.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:I'm not suggesting scoring defense is completely meaningless, but it's nowhere near as accurate as DVOA. For starters, scoring defense also includes points the offense is responsible for (directly and indirectly), as well as special teams.

Umpteen years Football Outsiders has been doing DVOA now and I still fail to understand how the advantages of context-dependent stats vex so many people.
This is a discussion that can go on and on with neither side convincing the other...

But it seems to me that some of these advanced stats exist just for the sake of existing. How is DVOA more accurate if it ranks a unit (the Bills) that was overrun in many games, that failed to hold leads as being better than a defence that carried a team to the brink of the Super Bowl?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote:
brian wrote:I'm not suggesting scoring defense is completely meaningless, but it's nowhere near as accurate as DVOA. For starters, scoring defense also includes points the offense is responsible for (directly and indirectly), as well as special teams.

This is a discussion that can go on and on with neither side convincing the other...

But it seems to me that some of these advanced stats exist just for the sake of existing. How is DVOA more accurate if it ranks a unit (the Bills) that was overrun in many games, that failed to hold leads as being better than a defence that carried a team to the brink of the Super Bowl?
Because the Bills can (and did) have a horrible offense and special teams that continually put the defense in a bad spot. I'm not going to pretend I saw more than a couple Bills games, but I trust DVOA a lot more than yards or points allowed. The good news for you is that DVOA is usually fairly predictive for units that grade solidly but for teams that had a bad year record-wise. In other words, if the Bills can fix some of their issues on offense, they might be primed for a really good season next year (assuming of course they keep most of the pieces in place on their D).

(Perfect example is Seattle was 11-5 last year, but led the league in overall DVOA. Essentially they were the best team in the NFL over the entire season. So it wasn't a stretch to assume they could lead the league in actual wins this year.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

...But the Bills hired Jim Schwartz as their DC, so now they're fucked. <sad trombone>
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The hard hitting questions

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Whoa! Who is Cari and how do i get my balls in her court?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Rams fire overwhelmed def coor. Tim Walton and (re)hire Greg "Bounty" Williams. This being prop season, some book ought to put up a prop over which defense has more unsportsmanlike penalties, Rams or Bills.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

From that picture, it's hard to believe he was a lineman!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Dianabol's a helluva drug
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I've read some horror stories about how much offensive linemen struggle with their weight post-retirement. So it's nice to see someone be able to get back to a normal weight (though honestly he almost looks TOO skinny).
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

CBS wins broadcasting rights for Thursday night games.

If this means Mike Mayock never calls another NFL game, then I'm completely on board with this.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sabo wrote:CBS wins broadcasting rights for Thursday night games.

If this means Mike Mayock never calls another NFL game, then I'm completely on board with this.
It's only the first half of the season though, so I'm sure he'll be back for the second half.

I wish they'd bring back the team that they had doing the late night opener a few years ago. I remember Dick Vermeil was part of the team, but don't recall the play by play but they were excellent.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote:
Sabo wrote:CBS wins broadcasting rights for Thursday night games.

It's only the first half of the season though, so I'm sure he'll be back for the second half.

I wish they'd bring back the team that they had doing the late night opener a few years ago. I remember Dick Vermeil was part of the team, but don't recall the play by play but they were excellent.
Nope. Simms and Nantz to call NFL network games as well.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Fast forward to 3:17. This was missed over the weekend because of the super bowl.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

AB_skin_test wrote: Nope. Simms and Nantz to call NFL network games as well.
Fantastic. Hopefully it also means that they'll do fewer Patriot games.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote:
From that picture, it's hard to believe he was a lineman!
He looks like he's a rail, but apparently he weighs 210. Which isn't small, but is 110 pounds under his playing weight. But being 6'5" makes that 210 look pretty skinny.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

What a shitshow.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Mike Tanier lays some wood on the Browns.

One of my favorite Twitter comments from a Lions fans:
The Lions even suck at trying to be the most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I, for one, am happy that Mike Lombardi will be back on the Bill Simmons podcast.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote:I, for one, am happy that Mike Lombardi will be back on the Bill Simmons podcast.
I think his other friend who worked for the Browns also got the hammer dropped on him, also.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Did you ever play the Mike Lombardi drinking game where you do a shot every time he makes an analogy to another sport?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Peter King writes about the firing of Banner and Lombardi.

If all of this is true, then this front office purge is good news for the Browns.

If nothing else, my respect for Ken Whisenhut increased about 1 million percent.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:Mike Tanier lays some wood on the Browns.

One of my favorite Twitter comments from a Lions fans:
The Lions even suck at trying to be the most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL.
From Tanier;
Browns fans deserve better than an Onion headline of a football team. The saddest reality of Poe's Law and Haslam's Lemma is that stupidity can be funny and a satire of stupidity can be funnier, but extreme stupidity, no matter how hard you try to mock it, is no laughing matter.
As a long time Browns fan, I find this team to be unworthy of any sort of affection. While some say that Haslam merely dumped Banner because he was there (sent by the league?) to show him how to run an NFL team, this makes little sense. Has anyone else heard of the NFL sending in what amounts to a consultant in order to help a new owner figure things out?

From Peter King:
In Haslam’s 17-month tenure, the team has employed 56 coaches.

To call the Browns a circus would be an insult to circuses.
And you've got to know that a job in Cleveland - for either coach or player - is probably less desirable than a stint anywhere else in the league. A team that is in the midst of an epic run of dismal football (6 straight years with 11 or more losses. Not just 10 losses, 11 - love that stat). The New Browns cumulative record is 72-164.
The weather sucks. The ownership sucks.

It's a tribute to the brighter side of human nature that Browns fans haven't pulled a Jonestown during yet another dismal 24-6 loss.

On the other hand - who would spend money to watch this team?

Perhaps, Haslam's preferred management style is to sow chaos and hope that something good will come of it. But to get all biblical here - they that sow the wind shall often reap the whirlwind.

Translation: this team is fucked.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I think this team's core is promising and I would love to coach it. I might take their roster/cap/draft situation over Tennessee and possibly even Detroit, I'd draft Johnny Cleveland and I would ball out for years and then I'd move into my $400,000 mansion and hold crazy orgies with stereotypically ugly but willing Cleveland femmes.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Can I be your LB coach?

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Gunpowder wrote:I think this team's core is promising and I would love to coach it. I might take their roster/cap/draft situation over Tennessee and possibly even Detroit, I'd draft Johnny Cleveland and I would ball out for years and then I'd move into my $400,000 mansion and hold crazy orgies with stereotypically ugly but willing Cleveland femmes.
I like the cut of your jib, and I'll subscribe to the newsletter.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Clowney ran a 4.47 and 4.48. Faster than all but about 5 Running backs.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

AB_skin_test wrote:Clowney ran a 4.47 and 4.48. Faster than all but about 5 Running backs.
You should check out what Aaron Donald continues to do...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

AB_skin_test wrote:Clowney ran a 4.47 and 4.48. Faster than all but about 5 Running backs.
Though his official time was 4.53. Link
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I hate the "what does the combine have to do with real football?" comments, like people are making some great previously unrealized revelation. Yeah, I get it, there's no broad jumps during a game.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gunpowder wrote:I hate the "what does the combine have to do with real football?" comments, like people are making some great previously unrealized revelation. Yeah, I get it, there's no broad jumps during a game.
It's more frustrating when you add in the "what does someone's 40 time have to do with their football ability"? which is ridiculous on several different levels. It's almost as if the person commenting hasn't actually seen a football game and how important speed is. (It's obviously not the be-all end-all, but it's not exactly as if it's not important either.)