Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Good lord, that’s really sad about your sister, Dave. I’m so sorry.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah man, sorry to hear that, and sorry that you have to deal with all of that other shit on top.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Sorry to hear, DiS. Best wishes.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:35 am There is no authentication. That's why theyre giving out handwritten confidential health information on card stock.
For you folks living in New Jersey, there’s an app called Docket that lets you access your immunization records, including Covid vaccination.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.northj ... 7939737002

The app works for Utah also and seems pretty straightforward.

I don’t know if it works for any other state yet.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:27 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:10 pm We are supposed to be going to Park City, UT on Thursday for 4 days. The GF's daughter, her boyfriend, and the boyfriends father are supposed to be doing this gravel race (https://www.thewasatchallroad.com/) on Saturday, but now its totally up in the air as to whether we are going or not, mainly due to covid concerns (also worries about smoke and air quality).

And then I'm supposed to be going back to Salt Lake in September. My oldest sister has a serious health problem (Multiple System Atrophy) and she is going downhill, fast. My parents and my other sisters and I are going for what is likely to be the last time to see her. And then found out yesterday that on top of the worries about my 90 year old parents travelling, and not wanting to expose my sister to anything, that my niece is going to be there as well...who is not vaccinated. Absolutely infuriating.

Paul Krugman had it right in his recent op-ed: "The Rage of the Responsible".
Raise your concerns about the niece with the niece’s parent (to whom you are related). Give the parent a shot to pull the niece back before raising concerns with the entire family?
The niece in question is the daughter of my sick sister. So I'm just going to have to keep my distance, and keep her away from my parents, and try to keep my mouth shut. Really don't need to get into an argument with a high school drop-out about the effectiveness of vaccines.

And thanks for the best wishes regarding my sister. Like I said, she's going down hill fast. According to my folks, she pretty much can't speak anymore, and she has starting having issues with the swallowing reflex. So its probably just a matter of time before she ends up in a skilled nursing/hospice kind of setting. She's been using a walker for a while now, and she's fallen a few times, and my brother-in-law can't help her get back up and has had to call 911.

A guy that I used to sail with was diagnosed a while back with the same thing (MSA), and it was heartbreaking. He was the picture of health previously, and he just deteriorated. His family brought him to the yacht club to see people, and he was a shell of himself. He passed away around Christmas time.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Damn, Dave. Really sorry you’re having to go through this. And, sorry for your sister, too
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:43 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:27 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:10 pm We are supposed to be going to Park City, UT on Thursday for 4 days. The GF's daughter, her boyfriend, and the boyfriends father are supposed to be doing this gravel race (https://www.thewasatchallroad.com/) on Saturday, but now its totally up in the air as to whether we are going or not, mainly due to covid concerns (also worries about smoke and air quality).

And then I'm supposed to be going back to Salt Lake in September. My oldest sister has a serious health problem (Multiple System Atrophy) and she is going downhill, fast. My parents and my other sisters and I are going for what is likely to be the last time to see her. And then found out yesterday that on top of the worries about my 90 year old parents travelling, and not wanting to expose my sister to anything, that my niece is going to be there as well...who is not vaccinated. Absolutely infuriating.

Paul Krugman had it right in his recent op-ed: "The Rage of the Responsible".
Raise your concerns about the niece with the niece’s parent (to whom you are related). Give the parent a shot to pull the niece back before raising concerns with the entire family?
The niece in question is the daughter of my sick sister. So I'm just going to have to keep my distance, and keep her away from my parents, and try to keep my mouth shut. Really don't need to get into an argument with a high school drop-out about the effectiveness of vaccines.

And thanks for the best wishes regarding my sister. Like I said, she's going down hill fast. According to my folks, she pretty much can't speak anymore, and she has starting having issues with the swallowing reflex. So its probably just a matter of time before she ends up in a skilled nursing/hospice kind of setting. She's been using a walker for a while now, and she's fallen a few times, and my brother-in-law can't help her get back up and has had to call 911.

A guy that I used to sail with was diagnosed a while back with the same thing (MSA), and it was heartbreaking. He was the picture of health previously, and he just deteriorated. His family brought him to the yacht club to see people, and he was a shell of himself. He passed away around Christmas time.
Oh man. I’m sorry DiS.
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So sorry Dave
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Holding a thought for your sister and you and your family, DiS.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So sorry to hear this, DiS.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Oh man, Dave. Sorry to hear about all that.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Man, that sounds awful. I'm sorry, Dave.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm so, so sorry, Dave.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My God that's terrible.

Hang in there Dave.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:44 am
This is amazing, and once verified, will be national news. the doctor will have his medical license, or else the board in Arkansas will have some ‘splainin’ to do.
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Did you not see the Tweet where it said it took place in Arkansas? That doctor would probably be promoted.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:53 am
This is amazing, and once verified, will be national news. the doctor will have his medical license, or else the board in Arkansas will have some ‘splainin’ to do.
I know of several doctors locally who swear by Ivermectin. And last weekend I was talking to a father on my daughter's soccer team who was hospitalized with COVID last year and he was going on about Ivermectin being a miracle cure. He was given Ivermectin as a last ditch before going on a ventilator and said he believes it knocked the symptoms out in 2 days.

It's funny, there are tons of articles about it being a horse drug and it's crazy that people are taking it, but it's been used on humans for 30 years. It's used throughout Africa as a cure for River Blindness. I've seen a lot of people saying its stupid to take an anti-parasite drug for a virus, but how many drugs end up being useful for a different reason than originally intended? It happens all the time. I don't know if it works, but it's not a crazy idea that it might, just because it is also used in horses or for treating parasites in humans.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Giff wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:11 pm My 22-year-old rabid-MAGAt niece who has barely worked a day in her life, was maybe a B- high school student, and currently lives off the U.S. government in Hawaii while her husband is a Marine, threw out the whole "my body my choice" line on Facebook today in a thread where she's sharing stories of people who died after receiving the vaccine. To say I've never seen my wife so infuriated is an understatement. It was a solid 10-minute rant followed by a second one 40-minutes later when I went to tell her I was going to the store.
Aaaaaaaaand, guess who has COVID.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:46 am
Giff wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:11 pm My 22-year-old rabid-MAGAt niece who has barely worked a day in her life, was maybe a B- high school student, and currently lives off the U.S. government in Hawaii while her husband is a Marine, threw out the whole "my body my choice" line on Facebook today in a thread where she's sharing stories of people who died after receiving the vaccine. To say I've never seen my wife so infuriated is an understatement. It was a solid 10-minute rant followed by a second one 40-minutes later when I went to tell her I was going to the store.
Aaaaaaaaand, guess who has COVID.
Sometimes, Karma wins.

Hope she gets better.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

When she gets better because she's 22 and then credits some nonsense, can you do me a favor? Just respond with "Did you take a shit while you have Covid too? Maybe COVID can be shit out of the body?" or something like that just to point out the nonsense of selective belief in causation.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Oh yeah. We have all kinds of responses waiting on that one, but I like that suggestion.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:52 amHope she gets better.
... after being terribly miserable for a few weeks.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:34 am
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:53 am
I know of several doctors locally who swear by Ivermectin. And last weekend I was talking to a father on my daughter's soccer team who was hospitalized with COVID last year and he was going on about Ivermectin being a miracle cure. He was given Ivermectin as a last ditch before going on a ventilator and said he believes it knocked the symptoms out in 2 days.

It's funny, there are tons of articles about it being a horse drug and it's crazy that people are taking it, but it's been used on humans for 30 years. It's used throughout Africa as a cure for River Blindness. I've seen a lot of people saying its stupid to take an anti-parasite drug for a virus, but how many drugs end up being useful for a different reason than originally intended? It happens all the time. I don't know if it works, but it's not a crazy idea that it might, just because it is also used in horses or for treating parasites in humans.
I know you’re mentioning this to perhaps show how pervasive the mindset is among some in the medical community, but still amounts to medical experimentation.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:08 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:34 am

I know you’re mentioning this to perhaps show how pervasive the mindset is among some in the medical community, but still amounts to medical experimentation.
[/quote]

Actually, my point is more how Liberal social media jumps on shit it doesn't understand while making fun of others. My FB feed is blowing up with memes calling anti-vaxxers and MAGAts sheep and morons for taking livestock medication. I have no clue if Ivermectin is actually effective on COVID, but there are a lot of legit doctors using it and reporting amazing results. Right now, there isn't enough evidence for the FDA to recommend it, but the FDA usually takes 10 years to recommend drug treatments, it doesn't mean they don't work during the first 9 years of trials, so all the people making fun of an unapproved drug are completely misunderstanding how things work. I've seen too many normally intelligent people posting shit that it's never been used on humans, which is incredibly false. Ivermectin is given to millions of people every year for 30 years! And anyone who disagrees is dismissed as an anti-science moron.

That said, when I looked into it, a lot of "scientific data" is put out by groups I've never heard of, so I discount that. I do know that highly respected doctors are using Ivermectin off label for COVID, and we should encourage more testing of a very well known and used drug that is extremely cheap, has mild side effects, and can instantly be mass produced because it is way past the patent period, so it can be produced by anyone and they can't jack up prices. If anyone is running out and taking Ivermectin the way people did with Hydroxychloroquine, then they are idiots, but all these keyboard doctors declaring it idiotic to use an anti-parasite drug on a virus should shut the fuck up. Doctors prescribe drugs for off-label reasons all the time, because a drug intended for one purpose is often found to work for something else.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:33 pmActually, my point is more how Liberal social media jumps on shit it doesn't understand while making fun of others. My FB feed is blowing up with memes calling anti-vaxxers and MAGAts sheep and morons for taking livestock medication. I have no clue if Ivermectin is actually effective on COVID, but there are a lot of legit doctors using it and reporting amazing results. Right now, there isn't enough evidence for the FDA to recommend it, but the FDA usually takes 10 years to recommend drug treatments, it doesn't mean they don't work during the first 9 years of trials, so all the people making fun of an unapproved drug are completely misunderstanding how things work. I've seen too many normally intelligent people posting shit that it's never been used on humans, which is incredibly false. Ivermectin is given to millions of people every year for 30 years! And anyone who disagrees is dismissed as an anti-science moron.

That said, when I looked into it, a lot of "scientific data" is put out by groups I've never heard of, so I discount that. I do know that highly respected doctors are using Ivermectin off label for COVID, and we should encourage more testing of a very well known and used drug that is extremely cheap, has mild side effects, and can instantly be mass produced because it is way past the patent period, so it can be produced by anyone and they can't jack up prices. If anyone is running out and taking Ivermectin the way people did with Hydroxychloroquine, then they are idiots, but all these keyboard doctors declaring it idiotic to use an anti-parasite drug on a virus should shut the fuck up. Doctors prescribe drugs for off-label reasons all the time, because a drug intended for one purpose is often found to work for something else.
I think this is a very good point.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I like to think I consume more news and media than most and all the "anti" ivermectin stuff I've seen has been directed at the people buying the livestock versions from TSC and random websites and not its potential use in controlled human environments
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:46 pm I like to think I consume more news and media than most and all the "anti" ivermectin stuff I've seen has been directed at the people buying the livestock versions from TSC and random websites and not its potential use in controlled human environments
In that case, I'm overreacting and they are correct to mock.

ETA: That's why I limit my venting to the Swamp, if I said this shit on Facebook or Twitter, I would have gotten buried.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I had spent half the day trying to figure out why you were okay with people taking livestock meds, Sybian.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:19 pm I had spent half the day trying to figure out why you were okay with people taking livestock meds, Sybian.
I'm having a really rough week on a number of levels and reacted to a wave of posts without reading the story behind it...kind of like what I was accusing others of doing! Was the jail doctor giving the human Ivermectin or using livestock drugs? I read the Twitter thread linked to SCK's post, and some people said Ivermectin was never used on humans, and I let that taint every future FB post I read, thinking they were saying its only used for livestock, not realizing morons were actually buying livestock drugs for themselves.

I should stick to reading about fantasy football for the next two weeks.
-Pruitt
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:21 pm
Reminds me of one of my favourite Corb Lund songs

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Corn Lund is great.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Probably should make sure the prisoners are getting the version for humans, then.

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A de-wormer has a FB group?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

It’s mostly pictures of its pets
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:34 pm A de-wormer has a FB group?
I'm not on Facebook, but I would guess it was created since its use has become expanded in recent days.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Hood* gonna be so pissed soon.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:04 pm Hood* gonna be so pissed soon.
I dunno. The info doesn’t seem that reliable yet.