NFL Week 15...with bonus Fantasy Football Coverage, I'm Sure!

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

Re: NFL Week 15...with bonus Fantasy Football Coverage, I'm Sure!

Post by Rex »

Love what you do like Derek Carr loves chucking the ball indiscriminately!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

rass wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:44 pm Raider killer
Qu’est-ce que c’est?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Why are the Bears fans even at this game? Did they give away two medium sodas?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Every play in this game is worse than the last!
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Rex wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:39 pm Every play in this game is worse than the last!
Have the Bears shown this level of incompetence all year? Starting to feel really bad for DSafe, because this is pitiful.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

The poor fucking Browns.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

pruitt2 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:09 am The poor fucking Browns.
It’s the hope that kills you.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

pruitt2 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:36 pm Ravens are 0-2 in end of game macho 2-pointers.

Best kicker in the game, why not go to overtime?

Analytics aside, they are currently out of the playoff seedings.
pretending that OT was a guarantee in Baltimore on Sunday night is like pretending the Chargers purposely passed up 9 guaranteed points on Thursday night
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:58 am
pruitt2 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:36 pm Ravens are 0-2 in end of game macho 2-pointers.

Best kicker in the game, why not go to overtime?

Analytics aside, they are currently out of the playoff seedings.
pretending that OT was a guarantee in Baltimore on Sunday night is like pretending the Chargers purposely passed up 9 guaranteed points on Thursday night

Yeah people are suddenly very bullish on the Ravens OT chances. Before the win in Indy, they had gone 1-5 in their last 6 OT games because that is also a coin flip.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

For me it is this - in THAT situation - kicking the extra point keeps you alive longer. Either way Rodgers MIGHT go and get them in position to kick a field goal- but by going for it and missing the two-point conversion there you are taking off the table a LOT of stuff that can still go wrong for Green Bay that might yet lead to OT. With all the momentum. Instead, they just fast forwarded to a loss.

I thought going for 2 in Pittsburgh was the right call but I hated Baltimore going for 2 on Sunday.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Not sure the last six games have any bearing on this one. Figure 50% in OT. Figure 40% on the two points and 90-95 on the extra point. 66% packers FG though I think thats high. You're only making 2/3 from 40-50 so it's not 100% guaranteed they get 40-50 yds in 45 seconds. Probably more like 50/50. Do the math from there.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think its hard for people to view both options as sub 47% or whatever when the XP and the tie sure feels like 50/50.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Reaper wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:40 pm
Rex wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:39 pm Every play in this game is worse than the last!
Have the Bears shown this level of incompetence all year? Starting to feel really bad for DSafe, because this is pitiful.
Yes, they have. Last night's game basically was normal performance for this season, save for the lack of the occasional highlight from Fields. Fire Nagy and Pace.

I particularly enjoyed how Thomas Graham, a 6th-round pick in April, sat on the practice squad all season when their CBs after Jaylon Johnson have been trash all season, but he immediately comes in and starts making plays all over the field. Of course, they were fielding an entire defensive backfield of reserves and call-ups that held Cousins to 87 passing yards and Justin Jefferson to 4/47 and a TD on ten targets.

My brain hurts when columnists start talking about the case to not fire Pace, which revolves around "you trusted him enough to draft Fields, do you trust him enough to develop him?", which ignores the rest of the seven years of him steering the ship, as well as teams like Denver, Carolina, and the Giants failing to draft him. At a certain point, a mostly brain-dead lemur knew that Fields had the value to trade up to try to get him at #11.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Tuesday night games are going to start becoming a thing. It will first be an occasional thing, a couple of weeks a year. Then when the tv ratings show that we can't get enough of the bloodsport, they will make it permanent. It's the same thing that happened with the Thursday night games. There's just too much money out there. It'll be in the new tv deals when they start.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Can't believe I'd have sealed my game in one league had I started Huntley. Now I just have to hope Smith isn't outscored by Kupp and LA DST by 15. Ugh.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd love to see how Yahoo does its scoring range probabilities because the other Wild Card matchup this week is finished except the trailing team has Kupp and a 9% chance of winning, currently down 54 points. Kupp hasn't broken 40 this year.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:52 pm I'd love to see how Yahoo does its scoring range probabilities because the other Wild Card matchup this week is finished except the trailing team has Kupp and a 9% chance of winning, currently down 54 points. Kupp hasn't broken 40 this year.
Which means he is almost guaranteed to break 40. That's how statistics work, right?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:19 pm
Reaper wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:40 pm
Yes, they have. Last night's game basically was normal performance for this season, save for the lack of the occasional highlight from Fields. Fire Nagy and Pace.

I particularly enjoyed how Thomas Graham, a 6th-round pick in April, sat on the practice squad all season when their CBs after Jaylon Johnson have been trash all season, but he immediately comes in and starts making plays all over the field. Of course, they were fielding an entire defensive backfield of reserves and call-ups that held Cousins to 87 passing yards and Justin Jefferson to 4/47 and a TD on ten targets.

My brain hurts when columnists start talking about the case to not fire Pace, which revolves around "you trusted him enough to draft Fields, do you trust him enough to develop him?", which ignores the rest of the seven years of him steering the ship, as well as teams like Denver, Carolina, and the Giants failing to draft him. At a certain point, a mostly brain-dead lemur knew that Fields had the value to trade up to try to get him at #11.
Guy here at work was doing his typical old man spiel about how the Bears shouldn't fire Pace. He was okay with firing Nagy, but Pace got the talent there. Wonder what talking head he heard this from since you just posted this.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

duff wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:34 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:19 pmYes, they have. Last night's game basically was normal performance for this season, save for the lack of the occasional highlight from Fields. Fire Nagy and Pace.

Guy here at work was doing his typical old man spiel about how the Bears shouldn't fire Pace. He was okay with firing Nagy, but Pace got the talent there. Wonder what talking head he heard this from since you just posted this.
Guessing he's not listening to any podcasts, much less "Hoge and Jahns". They had Robert Mays (Athletic NFL writer, formerly of Grantland, and Bears fan) on a while ago, possibly during the Bears' bye week, and posted the Pace question to him around the end of the episode. Mays basically said, "what have you seen from Pace during all this time that makes you think he can do anything to develop Fields" without saying it, but these dopes - who get Pace on the podcast once a year, apparently - weren't getting it.

ETA: A Defector comment from today I found enjoyable:
The best way to describe Matt Nagy to the uninitiated: the sun had set many hours before the football game where he decided to wear a visor
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:27 am For me it is this - in THAT situation - kicking the extra point keeps you alive longer. Either way Rodgers MIGHT go and get them in position to kick a field goal- but by going for it and missing the two-point conversion there you are taking off the table a LOT of stuff that can still go wrong for Green Bay that might yet lead to OT. With all the momentum. Instead, they just fast forwarded to a loss.

I thought going for 2 in Pittsburgh was the right call but I hated Baltimore going for 2 on Sunday.

A lot of what people feel is "momentum" is really just teams playing against opponents who are up in the game and are a). trying to run clock and/or b.) playing a soft 2-minute defense. NFL teams are far, far better in 2 minute drives than in normal drives and neither of those would apply going forward.

You are also adding a lot of things to your winning to-do list by going to OT. Everyone says that teams playing "superior" opponents need to try and sustain long drives, keep the ball out of so-and-so's hands yada yada and effectively "shorten" the game, but then when it comes to OT the trope flips the other way.

EDIT: Essentially, I guess my argument here is that the second you take Green Bay out of 2 minute mode, the game situation will revert to the one in which your team played to a 14 point defecit.
Last edited by Gunpowder on Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:19 pm
My brain hurts when columnists start talking about the case to not fire Pace, which revolves around "you trusted him enough to draft Fields, do you trust him enough to develop him?"

Which even in itself a terrible argument because you can just look at the situation around him and say "fuck no".
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I guess an example I'd use is the first Patriots/Rams Super Bowl (not that I would have gone for two there if I'm the Rams, just as a momentum argument).

Rams in theory had all the momentum in that game, having closed a late 17-3 defecit to tie it up with a minute and a half left. However in reality they were playing against a team that was suddenly feeding Antowain Smith in an attempt to kill clock and playing a softer defense to avoid big plays. After that was no longer the case, New England immediately went back to owning the Rams like they had for most of the game.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

WFT forced to start a QB they signed of the Pats practice squad 4 days ago. That’s gotta be good for me playing against McLaurin, right? Gotta think they are running and throwing short. Hopefully keeps the Eagles from throwing, as I’m also playing against Hurts. I’m too nervous for imaginary football, but this is my law school league, 22 years of animosity against these guys.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:44 pm Raider killer
What is great is if you follow the link, click on his name, it shows him as playing for the Browns. WWLIS my butt.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Please don't hurt yourselves laughing, everyone:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

I'd laugh, but I fear that the entire offence is going to be ineligible for the Pats game.

What a twat.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nothing would be funnier than his case being the rare serious one among people that age.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

mister d wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:27 pm Nothing would be funnier than his case being the rare serious one among people that age.
Now that Gabriel Davis has stepped up, I agree with you.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Too bad Fox can’t roll with this unusual situation and give regular game updates (or even toss the score on the screen) for the game not on on market.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:15 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:19 pmMy brain hurts when columnists start talking about the case to not fire Pace, which revolves around "you trusted him enough to draft Fields, do you trust him enough to develop him?"
Which even in itself a terrible argument because you can just look at the situation around him and say "fuck no".
Same fucking columnists who write that Jesper Horsted should get more playing time, then go on to say they understand that part of the reason he's not is the size of Jimmy Graham's cap hit (and 27% snap share this season) while I scream into the void, "who fucking signed Jimmy Graham and who subsequently has chosen to not use him if he merits such a nice contract?"
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:50 am
Gunpowder wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:15 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:19 pmMy brain hurts when columnists start talking about the case to not fire Pace, which revolves around "you trusted him enough to draft Fields, do you trust him enough to develop him?"
Same fucking columnists who write that Jesper Horsted should get more playing time, then go on to say they understand that part of the reason he's not is the size of Jimmy Graham's cap hit (and 27% snap share this season) while I scream into the void, "who fucking signed Jimmy Graham and who subsequently has chosen to not use him if he merits such a nice contract?"

"You can't fire Timothy McVeigh, sure he's done some bad things but he's spent this whole year helping to clean up damaged buildings"