The Vacation Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: The Vacation Thread

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kind request for Asheville and western NC and east to hickory Statesville outdoors recommendations probably not north to boone. TN ok too. Easy to moderately strenuous activity. Park type experiences (maybe) but not as far as west. As soon as next weekend fall break but recommendations needed generally.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:30 am Kind request for Asheville and western NC and east to hickory Statesville outdoors recommendations probably not north to boone. TN ok too. Easy to moderately strenuous activity. Park type experiences (maybe) but not as far as west. As soon as next weekend fall break but recommendations needed generally.
This is where my family went in August. We had a blast in Brevard doing outdoorsy stuff. MTB in Dupont, Hiking all over and repelling down waterfalls. I liked sliding rock too. Just fun. We also had a blast just exploring the city of Asheville.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Staubach wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:25 am I lived in Asheville from 2009 - 2019, so if you need some advice or recommendations feel free to reach out to me. I moved across the border (about 30 miles from my previous house)to Tennessee to avoid the state income tax in North Carolina. I know more about the hiking and biking in the area then fine dining, except for sushi.

For my vacation this year, we went to Zion National Park and Arches National Park. The areas out west are surreal to me and I can understand why many people think of these areas as spiritual. At Zion, we did the Narrows and Angels Landing hikes. For those that may be going there, Angels Landing is a lottery hike due to the dangers of a large number of people trying to hold the chains while attempting the hike. Many sites have it listed as one of the most dangerous hikes in the world. Youtube has great videos of the hike.

For the Narrows, plan on spending a day there (we only spent an afternoon) so you can hike deep into the canyon away from all of the influencers.

Arches is more for the older or don't want to hike a long ways crowd. Hardest hike that we did was to the Delicate Arch itself. After a fairly strenuous hike uphills, there was a line to stand underneath it and take pictures. Another spot with many influencers trying to take the perfect picture. We enjoyed the less touristy hikes that took us away from the crowds and into some solitude.

We were there the week the lesbian couple was shot and killed at a remote camping site near Arches, so we didn't go too crazy with remote hikes.

Youtube the hikes there if you want to see hoe strenuous they are. Most are drive up, walk a 1/2 mile on flat terrain, and see the arch.
Are you now in Bristol?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Staubach wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:25 amFor my vacation this year, we went to Zion National Park and Arches National Park. The areas out west are surreal to me and I can understand why many people think of these areas as spiritual. At Zion, we did the Narrows and Angels Landing hikes. For those that may be going there, Angels Landing is a lottery hike due to the dangers of a large number of people trying to hold the chains while attempting the hike. Many sites have it listed as one of the most dangerous hikes in the world. Youtube has great videos of the hike.

For the Narrows, plan on spending a day there (we only spent an afternoon) so you can hike deep into the canyon away from all of the influencers.

Arches is more for the older or don't want to hike a long ways crowd. Hardest hike that we did was to the Delicate Arch itself. After a fairly strenuous hike uphills, there was a line to stand underneath it and take pictures. Another spot with many influencers trying to take the perfect picture. We enjoyed the less touristy hikes that took us away from the crowds and into some solitude.

We were there the week the lesbian couple was shot and killed at a remote camping site near Arches, so we didn't go too crazy with remote hikes.

Youtube the hikes there if you want to see hoe strenuous they are. Most are drive up, walk a 1/2 mile on flat terrain, and see the arch.
I've tried to do Angels Landing twice, and noped out from my fear of heights both times.

Delicate Arch is nice, but ultimately it mostly just looks like all the pictures you see of it.

We're taking my 83yo mom camping at Bryce Canyon and Zion next weekend. Wish me luck.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:30 am Kind request for Asheville and western NC and east to hickory Statesville outdoors recommendations probably not north to boone. TN ok too. Easy to moderately strenuous activity. Park type experiences (maybe) but not as far as west. As soon as next weekend fall break but recommendations needed generally.
This is one of my favorite hikes in the world.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:53 am
This is one of my favorite hikes in the world.
That was a great one.
John Rock was also a good loop (you can do it several ways and the view payoff was huge)...plus you park at a fish farm
Lookout in Montreat was a nice easy hike with a bit or rock scramble and solid views
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Quite a few hikes in Montreat.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:12 pm Friend that lives close to Charleston recommended Melfis so we are gonna stop in there Monday. But still figuring out Wednesday night. Hotel looks to have a nice restaurant bar so that’s probably Sunday after the drive in.
Melfis was fantastic. It’s a bit north of the historic district but not hard to get to. Menu changes based on what ingredients are available locally. Highly recommend
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:11 am no, its true.
a new house
a new pup
and a baby in October
to go along with the sometimes surly 10th grader.
my dream of selling everything, retiring to the islands to live on a sailboat will have to wait just a bit longer. and there goes my plan to leave the soccer club, why leave when i'll just be back to complain about how badly they fucked it up in six years.

had been thinking of how to drop it in here.. just told folks this past week (told the grandparents on mother's day, the granmas were bawling)

Thank you. Please send scotch.
9 days to go.
all while being asked to take over a whole new business's backend fulfillment ops.. only working through noon on tuesday, but based on the transition timeline no way i'm able to stay away for more than a few days. i'll be on the rant thread soon enough.
but 9 days to go. already planning mancation in janauary! looks like Park City is the leading contender.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

elflaco2 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:38 am
elflaco2 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:11 am no, its true.
a new house
a new pup
and a baby in October
to go along with the sometimes surly 10th grader.
my dream of selling everything, retiring to the islands to live on a sailboat will have to wait just a bit longer. and there goes my plan to leave the soccer club, why leave when i'll just be back to complain about how badly they fucked it up in six years.

had been thinking of how to drop it in here.. just told folks this past week (told the grandparents on mother's day, the granmas were bawling)

Thank you. Please send scotch.
9 days to go.
all while being asked to take over a whole new business's backend fulfillment ops.. only working through noon on tuesday, but based on the transition timeline no way i'm able to stay away for more than a few days. i'll be on the rant thread soon enough.
but 9 days to go. already planning mancation in janauary! looks like Park City is the leading contender.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Still don't envy you but good luck buddy.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Perfect response from AB, and Rass for that matter. We are so happy for you and the Mrs.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Good luck flaco

Mrs and I have a week at Okaloosa island coming up and I need it so bad. Zero plans besides beach, eat, drink and a little golf. Condo for sale in the place we are staying and I’m
guessing I’ll be lucky to get away on the week without being a proud new owner. But we will see.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'll search through here later, but if anyone has any tips for Kauai and the big island, let me know. 11 of us heading there for my parents' anniversary.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:24 pm I'll search through here later, but if anyone has any tips for Kauai and the big island, let me know. 11 of us heading there for my parents' anniversary.
Never been to Kauai, but I really enjoyed our vacation a few years ago on the big island (Hawaii).

Check out my post on this page about swimming with manta rays. I suggest you look into it on your trip - our daughter loved it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:24 pm I'll search through here later, but if anyone has any tips for Kauai and the big island, let me know. 11 of us heading there for my parents' anniversary.
I'm not much help for Kauai, but I can help with Hawai'i. Where are you staying?
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sabo wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:29 pm
I'm not much help for Kauai, but I can help with Hawai'i. Where are you staying?
Not sure yet, and would definitely take recommendations. I did just find the Maui thread which led me to a lot of tips for the big island as well as Kauai. We'll have my parents; my sister, her husband and two kids; me, my wife and my three kids. There's been some discussion of getting 4 rooms in both places, with my older two in their own room, I suppose. Ideally we'd find a house or something in both locations, but we also don't really want to cook.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I can help with Kauai…it is my favorite. Suggestions:
For staying I like the Poipu area but Kapaa or Wailua are more centrally located (and popular) for getting to the whole island.
Must do: cruise along the Napali coast if your group has good sea legs (winter makes it difficult for those who get seasick); Waimea Canyon is amazing. Other things to do: Hanalei, hike in Haena state park, Wailua river kayak, Koloa
Food/beer: Kauai Beer Company

If you want more specifics or have questions let me know and I can PM you…I’ve been there several times.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:43 pm
I can help with Kauai…it is my favorite. Suggestions:
For staying I like the Poipu area but Kapaa or Wailua are more centrally located (and popular) for getting to the whole island.
Must do: cruise along the Napali coast if your group has good sea legs (winter makes it difficult for those who get seasick); Waimea Canyon is amazing. Other things to do: Hanalei, hike in Haena state park, Wailua river kayak, Koloa
Food/beer: Kauai Beer Company

If you want more specifics or have questions let me know and I can PM you…I’ve been there several times.
My man! Many thanks. I'll follow up as we narrow our plans.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:49 pm
Not sure yet, and would definitely take recommendations. I did just find the Maui thread which led me to a lot of tips for the big island as well as Kauai. We'll have my parents; my sister, her husband and two kids; me, my wife and my three kids. There's been some discussion of getting 4 rooms in both places, with my older two in their own room, I suppose. Ideally we'd find a house or something in both locations, but we also don't really want to cook.
The Kailua-Kona area is the most built-up part of the big island and has the most amenities. You'll find plenty of housing options and restaurants. It's on the windward side, so it's frequently dry and sunny. Hilo is another option, but it's on the leeward side and gets a lot of rain. It's lush and gorgeous in some spots, but the city itself looks kinda run down.

As for things to do, you must go to Volcanoes National Park. It will take a couple of hours to get there, but it's well worth it. The crater overlook is fine and the visitor center is informative, but the best part is the Chain of Craters Road drive. You'll drive past multiple old volcanic craters as you drive toward the ocean. The panoramic views are stunning. I highly recommend the Hilina Pali Overlook, even though it will add another 25-30 miles of driving. There's a good Thai restaurant (called Thai Thai) in Volcano, which is just outside the park's entrance.

We didn't go to it, but Waipi'o Valley on the north side is supposed to be a fantastic hiking experience. The Laupahoehoe Beach Park on the west side is pretty cool, as it provides a nice view of shoreline cliffs. The Akaka Falls State Park has a beautiful waterfall and boardwalk walking path.

One cool thing about the big island is it has most of the earth's climate zones on it. So if you want to see snow, you can drive to Mauna Kea. If you want to be in the desert, go toward the northwest part of the island. Want a rainforest? Go to Hilo. Just enjoy the scenery as you drive by, because almost everywhere you go ranges from pretty to amazing.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

And birds. Birds fucking everywhere.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

A_B wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:51 am And birds. Birds fucking everywhere.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

duff wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:07 am
A_B wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:51 am And birds. Birds fucking everywhere.
Take it to the "Sabo Relations Thread".
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:49 pm
We went to Kauai a few years ago, and loved it. Stayed in the Poipu area. Went whale watching one evening which was amazing (the captain knew exactly where to find them)...hiked Waimea Canyon. Did the hike on the north side of the island, which was really crowded, but worth it.

A guy I worked with at the time was a local, and he sent me an email with a bunch of recommendations. Let me see if I can dig it up.

ETA: Found the email:
Here are a few favorites:

Fish Express , across from wal-mart
Poke, lunch boxes/ plates
https://yelp.to/qTKq/0WyEJ2dHTA

Hamura Saimin
Ramen, tempura, crispy wonton
https://yelp.to/qTKq/HH9lbQJAcB

Sone's
Plate lunch, deli - don't let the Christian messages turn you off, he's an awesome guy :)
https://yelp.to/qTKq/bhQQt03aPA

Mark's Place
Plate lunch, take out mostly
https://yelp.to/qTKq/uTSmm3cBcB

Tip Top Cafe
Old school cafe, Breakfast, Mac nut pancakes, oxtail soup
https://yelp.to/qTKq/j22c4BiBcB

Koloa Fish Market
(Nearest "town" to Poipu)
Fresh fish, poke
https://yelp.to/qTKq/PqxwZitBcB

Puka Dog (Poipu)
Hotdog in a round bun. Go figure. It's good!
https://yelp.to/qTKq/cVEUYOABcB

Koloa Farmers Market
Mondays, 12 noon
Local produce, flowers
https://yelp.to/qTKq/hytQ3oHBcB

Check out the web listings for other markets around the island.
http://www.kauai.com/kauai-farmers-markets

Costco is always good for a stop, they usually have local favorites and I think they have liquor and aloha shirts for a reasonable price. Portuguese sausage (linguica) is my favorite. And a big bottle of kimchi. Walmart usually has inexpensive trinkets to bring home.

If you're heading up to Waimea Canyon / Koke'e State Park (which I highly recommend, by the way), stop at the Kauai Kookie stores at Kalaheo or Hanapepe (factory store).

Kalaheo
https://yelp.to/qTKq/byvmAg8BcB

Hanapepe
https://yelp.to/qTKq/RCUDRLlCcB

Merriman's restaurant in Koloa is more upscale, but a local classic.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

TWILTS
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Hawaiian word for weed is pakalolo.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I think I’m done with family vacations.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Hey, does anyone have That French Guy’s info? He’s still in Paris right? I’ll be in his neck of the woods next week. If anyone does, can you pm me? Or if you want to send him my stuff, my email is my swamp handle at yahoo dot com.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Notoriously compact Paris France!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yes this is melodramatic and yes and no it’s not the end of the world and yes I’ll talk about it in length at some point but no not tonight but

JFC
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You kissed the MAGA neighbor and they have a lisp?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:57 pm You kissed the MAGA neighbor and they have a lisp?
Heh
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’m guessing it actually does relate to maga turd neighbor.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Had decided to sit on the beach and to write up a funny take on this situation but the waves seem great so lss…

We figured out last evening that the oldest has a healthy infestation of head lice. Best we can figure she picked it up when she spent time in the DR back in the middle of July. She complained that some of the other girls she was with were using her personal care products, and one of them has a preschool age sibling, and we’re not sure else where else or when else this could have happened.

So dinner plans on our 2nd to last night of vacation were scuttled to spend hours combing through her head and doing laundry. Good thing I finally came around on the pizza place at the end of the block the past year or two.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

You know, that is one of those issues where you're almost relieved it happened on vacation than at home. Almost.

Sorry bud.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The only thing worse than lice is bedbugs. Best of luck.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

rass wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:45 am Had decided to sit on the beach and to write up a funny take on this situation but the waves seem great so lss…

We figured out last evening that the oldest has a healthy infestation of head lice. Best we can figure she picked it up when she spent time in the DR back in the middle of July. She complained that some of the other girls she was with were using her personal care products, and one of them has a preschool age sibling, and we’re not sure else where else or when else this could have happened.

So dinner plans on our 2nd to last night of vacation were scuttled to spend hours combing through her head and doing laundry. Good thing I finally came around on the pizza place at the end of the block the past year or two.
Fuck the shore lice
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Also learned this morning that my favorite sandwich place on the island is closing after this season (open since 1955). Guess what I’m doing for lunch and maybe dinner.

My second favorite sandwich place is owned by this dude who looks older and slower every summer. His daughter seems to run the place now but I’m pretty sure she’s older than me and I heard her tell someone that she can’t wait for the school year to start because driving a school bus 35+ hours a week is like a vacation compared to spending 80+ hours a week running the deli/corner store during the summer. Plus I think her radiator died the day cerrano was here for a visit.

The diner where I got my breakfast sandwich (see whatever thread that was) is for sale (just under $700K) but listed as a turnkey restaurant and an island institution with a large following so hopefully whoever buys it keeps it more or less the same.

Plus we’ve gone through our yearly realization that we can’t afford anything reasonable down here. Maybe if we downsize in 4 or 5 years after the kids are done with HS but then we’d be taking a super optimistic view of the longterm prognosis of an Atlantic barrier island that already has flooding issues if it rains hard for more than 10 minutes.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

New meaning for the jersey shore GTL.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Trump neighbors and the lice development...I mean. I'm just sayin and what not.