Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by govmentchedda »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:13 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:38 pm Rooney on Prime is pretty good. Subtitles help.

Also forgot how great Special 1 TV did with Sven and Rooney puppets
Ah well.
Get the tank!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Watched Spencer last night, the movie about Princess Diana. Holy shit, that was the worst movie I have seen in decades. The whole movie has like three ideas - Diana's unhappy! She's just like Anne Boleyn! She feels trapped! But they never show any reasons why she's unhappy. She just is. I guess the audience is supposed to already know (which I guess we all do). And because they don't trust the writing or acting to get across the idea that she's unhappy, the entire movie has a grating, discordant score playing to make sure WE'RE uncomfortable too.

If someone asks you to watch this movie, run, fake your death, remember some errands you have to do, anything. Don't waste your 2 hours.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:14 am And because they don't trust the writing or acting to get across the idea that she's unhappy, the entire movie has a grating, discordant score playing to make sure WE'RE uncomfortable too.
The score was done by Jonny Greenwood, of Radiohead. He also did the score for Power Of The Dog (he got an Oscar nomination for that one).

He was interviewed a few weekend ago on Fresh Air about writing film scores: For Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood, there are no rules to composing for film
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:29 am
Shirley wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:14 am And because they don't trust the writing or acting to get across the idea that she's unhappy, the entire movie has a grating, discordant score playing to make sure WE'RE uncomfortable too.
The score was done by Jonny Greenwood, of Radiohead. He also did the score for Power Of The Dog (he got an Oscar nomination for that one).

He was interviewed a few weekend ago on Fresh Air about writing film scores: For Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood, there are no rules to composing for film
That's funny. I did have occasional flashbacks to Power of the Dog due to the ominous-feeling scenery shots and music, but this movie is nowhere near as good as that one. There was no payoff to the mood-setting in Spencer. And the music was honestly painful to listen to at times. Just incredibly heavy-handed and unnecessary.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Enjoyed Nightmare Alley. It was long but visually entertaining. Pretty strong acting and a different story than most stuff out there (romcom/shoot em up).
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Rewatched Beasts of the Southern Wild last night. That movie is a goddamn gem and arguably a top-5 for this century.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:50 am Rewatched Beasts of the Southern Wild last night. That movie is a goddamn gem and arguably a top-5 for this century.
That is a fantastic movie.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:50 am Rewatched Beasts of the Southern Wild last night. That movie is a goddamn gem and arguably a top-5 for this century.
Loved that movie. Just completely original and beautiful. And what an incredible acting job by that little girl. Might be the best performance I've ever seen by a small child.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:26 pm Cross-posted from the comedy thread, because this doc was that good:
wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:17 pm Was thinking about some older comedians to show my son while we were folding laundry. Then I remembered the Amazing Jonathan. He was a staple of early comedy central. Just bad magic and great comedian. Found this new documentary on him. Very enjoyable.
So I didn't get a chance to watch this, but before any of you do I would VERY strongly recommend watching this documentary about him on Hulu.

It's one of the most interesting and crazy documentaries I've ever seen and I watch a LOT of documentaries.

I really don't want to give anything way but the NY Times review I've linked does a good job of not giving away any of the three or four huge twists throughout the doc (yes, the documentarian agreeing to do meth with the subject of the documentary is actually NOT one of the huge twists).

It sucks a little bit that I've actually met Johnathan a few times (it's a long story) and definitely knew of his career trajectory when he announced his illness, so I feel like as amazing as it was for me, it would be even more so for someone who was a fresh mark.

Strongly, strongly, strongly recommended.
Bump because of his passing. If you haven't seen the doc on Hulu, might be as good a time as any.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:48 pm
brian wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:26 pm Cross-posted from the comedy thread, because this doc was that good:
wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:17 pm Was thinking about some older comedians to show my son while we were folding laundry. Then I remembered the Amazing Jonathan. He was a staple of early comedy central. Just bad magic and great comedian. Found this new documentary on him. Very enjoyable.
So I didn't get a chance to watch this, but before any of you do I would VERY strongly recommend watching this documentary about him on Hulu.

It's one of the most interesting and crazy documentaries I've ever seen and I watch a LOT of documentaries.

I really don't want to give anything way but the NY Times review I've linked does a good job of not giving away any of the three or four huge twists throughout the doc (yes, the documentarian agreeing to do meth with the subject of the documentary is actually NOT one of the huge twists).

It sucks a little bit that I've actually met Johnathan a few times (it's a long story) and definitely knew of his career trajectory when he announced his illness, so I feel like as amazing as it was for me, it would be even more so for someone who was a fresh mark.

Strongly, strongly, strongly recommended.
Bump because of his passing. If you haven't seen the doc on Hulu, might be as good a time as any.
That was wild. 10 yo me loved Amazing Jonathan.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gritty new Batman has some, um, schumacher-y ad tie-ins…
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:23 pm Gritty new Batman has some, um, schumacher-y ad tie-ins…
The bat calzony?

I have tickets Thursday at 3 pm.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:54 pm
rass wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:23 pm Gritty new Batman has some, um, schumacher-y ad tie-ins…
The bat calzony?

I have tickets Thursday at 3 pm.
Definitely. And every other segment on sportscenter, and an extended fake Knicks bing bong piece that might have been ESPN related but not sure? That was the one that finally sent me here. Though the little Caesar’s thing is really bad.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We just watched 'Coda'. It's about a high school senior, who wants to be a singer, and her father, mother, and older brother are deaf. She works with her father and brother on their fishing boat in Gloucester, MA.

Its really good! The father, Troy Kotsur, was nominated for an oscar, and the mother was played by Marlee Matlin.
[+] spoiler
When she's singing during the school concert, and they switch to her families point of view, and its silent, but they are watching the crowd's reactions...well, it got a little dusty in the room.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'm off to see The Batman with the youngest, in case anyone is looking for us.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Think I'm gonna call it the The Batman even if there is no hope of bothering AB as much I accidentally bugged misterd with that thread title earlier.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I liked it (I'm a mark, of course) and want to see it again. It's a very different kind of Batman movie, which is OK with me.
[+] spoiler
As a gamer, I get a lot of Arkham trilogy vibes.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Did you put that behind a spoiler tag because you were embarrassed to write "As a gamer..."?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:03 am Did you put that behind a spoiler tag because you were embarrassed to write "As a gamer..."?
No, just didn't want to put any impressions in peoples heads who may have been in the same boat and wanted to be um...unspoiled.

Proud gamer, wish I had more time to do so.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

And as a non-spoiler, for those of you with kids who might be considering it...it's a fairly hard PG-13. Couple of pretty violent scenes that might be tough on younger kids even though it's a super hero movie.

People keep calling it Gritty, but instead of David Eckstein, it's the darkness here.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Woke up a little before 4. Couldn’t get back to sleep. Went downstairs. Watched Kimi on HBO Max. It was good! I’m tired.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched the new 'West Side Story' last night. It was really good...but the whole time I kept thinking "This would be a great movie...if there wasn't already a really good version of this movie".

The big set pieces are great...especially 'I Want To Be In America' and 'Office Krupke'. Maria, Anita, and Riff were all great. It was good to see Rita Moreno again. And whatever you think of Spielberg, the guy can direct the hell out of a movie.
[+] spoiler
The re-arranging of song was a bit jarring. For example, 'I Feel Pretty' comes after the Rumble.

And the weak link...again...is Tony. Richard Beymer isn't that great in the original, and Ansel Elgort is really weak. Never believed either of them could have been a leader of the Jets.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We watched the other night, too. Such a great looking movie. I didn’t think Elgort was as bad as the reviews I had read when it came out. Thought he nailed his last couple of big acting (not singing) scenes, but one of those was with Rita Moreno and maybe working with her helps.

That being said I thought the Riff/Tony relationship was the one that worked the least. Not sure if that can be blamed on Elgort or not.

Wife was super excited because the woman who played Maria is from the town where she works. She was great, as was Anita.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Watched Nightmare Alley this weekend. It was...fine. The more I see him try to be a "serious" actor, the less I am convinced Bradley Cooper ever will be able to pull it off. Especially in scenes with Willem Dafaoe, Cate Blanchett, Toni Collete, etc.

Also, we went to a different theater than usual to see The Batman, and the spurned one sent me an email today asking if I missed anything this weekend, knowing full well that I'd seen every big release superhero move there for the past few years (when we were going to the theater that is). Gotta keep em begging for more I suppose.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Watched the new Batman film and was def... meh

I think I need to get past Robert Pattison, probably because of the comic Jack Whitehall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXXaRoZyC9o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxWKnFMX9y8
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Watched Being the Ricardos on Amazon. It was fine and didn't have the insufferable dialogue that Sorkin usually falls into. It was good dialogue but not the "we're all so clever" stuff. Kidman and Bardem were great. He is one of my favorite actors. Really seems to make roles his own.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:21 am We just watched 'Coda'. It's about a high school senior, who wants to be a singer, and her father, mother, and older brother are deaf. She works with her father and brother on their fishing boat in Gloucester, MA.

Its really good! The father, Troy Kotsur, was nominated for an oscar, and the mother was played by Marlee Matlin.
[+] spoiler
When she's singing during the school concert, and they switch to her families point of view, and its silent, but they are watching the crowd's reactions...well, it got a little dusty in the room.
We watched it last night. Fun, feel-good film. I thought the guy who played the father of the main character was particularly good. I hope he wins tonight.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:46 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:21 am We just watched 'Coda'. It's about a high school senior, who wants to be a singer, and her father, mother, and older brother are deaf. She works with her father and brother on their fishing boat in Gloucester, MA.

[+] spoiler
We watched it last night. Fun, feel-good film. I thought the guy who played the father of the main character was particularly good. I hope he wins tonight.
The guy who played the son was really good as well.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Turning Red was weirdly mediocre
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:42 pm Turning Red was weirdly mediocre
Haven’t seen it yet but felt the same way about Onward and to a slightly lesser extent Soul.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

rass wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:05 pm
Ryan wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:42 pm Turning Red was weirdly mediocre
Haven’t seen it yet but felt the same way about Onward and to a slightly lesser extent Soul.
Haven't seen it either, but Soul was just okay and Onward was not fitting of the Pixar brand.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

But this one has the Skydome. Like a LOT.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Good news. There’s a prequel and sequel to Heat coming out.

Bad (?) news. It requires literacy.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:53 pm Good news. There’s a prequel and sequel to Heat coming out.

Bad (?) news. It requires literacy.
Bummer. Not the far superior version with Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pretty safe bet The Northman will break my 3-year theater hiatus.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022 ... Aha9USZVKQ
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:01 pm Pretty safe bet The Northman will break my 3-year theater hiatus.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022 ... Aha9USZVKQ
Good article. Sounds intriguing.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Getting on a flight to Italy tomorrow afternoon...any movie ideas to watch on the plane? Has anyone seen 'Worst Person In The World'?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

HBO Max Documentary that went out on Tony Hawk last night is pretty good. I am not a skater but have enjoyed all of the movies of the Bones Brigade.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:33 pm Getting on a flight to Italy tomorrow afternoon...any movie ideas to watch on the plane? Has anyone seen 'Worst Person In The World'?
Go Italian!

"Hand of God" is excellent.

ETA: Buonviaggio!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Chris Pine in the new Amazon movie ("All the Old Knives") is rocking the same look at Gary Johnston (Team America World Police)