Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by rass »

Also, I highly recommend watching the Hank scene (in the basement or whatever) with captions on.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Apologies if I missed it, but is anyone clocking the new-ish David Simon show on HBO. We Own This City basically picks up the Baltimore PD post Freddie Gray. I'm two episodes in and it's REALLY good. Follows a story that, even for Baltimore, was pretty stunning at the time (Gun Task Force unit that was basically a criminal operation for about 4 years.)

The accents alone are incredible. Like The Wire, it is almost exclusively actors that are relatively unknown. The exceptions are the dude from The Punisher and Walking Dead, and the other guy is from Sports Night and the Dead Poet's Society.

ETA - For the life of me, I can't keep the name of the show straight.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Giff wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:07 am Anyone watching The Man Who Fell to Earth?
Watched the first two episodes. Enjoyed. Cancelled cable and need to pay for HBO+ now.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:02 am Apologies if I missed it, but is anyone clocking the new-ish David Simon show on HBO. We Own This City basically picks up the Baltimore PD post Freddie Gray. I'm two episodes in and it's REALLY good. Follows a story that, even for Baltimore, was pretty stunning at the time (Gun Task Force unit that was basically a criminal operation for about 4 years.)

The accents alone are incredible. Like The Wire, it is almost exclusively actors that are relatively unknown. The exceptions are the dude from The Punisher and Walking Dead, and the other guy is from Sports Night and the Dead Poet's Society.

ETA - For the life of me, I can't keep the name of the show straight.
Watched the whole thing. The story on the Gun Task Force is pretty crazy. The Chief of Police they talk about is the guy who is friends with the Sports Junkies (went to Dematha). Also lots of the actors seem to be showing up on other shows running at the same time.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

duff wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:38 am
Giff wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:07 am Anyone watching The Man Who Fell to Earth?
Watched the first two episodes. Enjoyed. Cancelled cable and need to pay for HBO+ now.
And Showtime if you want to watch this. I haven't ever used the app, so if you want to try it I can give you our log-in info.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

There’s a show on The History Channel premiering Saturday night called After Jackie. It’s a documentary about the issues faced by the black players who played immediately and the generation after Jackie Robinson. A good friend of mine is interviewed in the show. Her name is Debbie White. She’s the daughter of Bill White, former player for the Giants, Cardinals, and Phillies, announcer for the Yankees, and National League president. Check it out!

(Unfortunately, I don’t get the History Channel on YouTubeTV.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Just finished weeklong watch on stranger things 4 parts 1–7. That was really quite excellent. Especially episode 7.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (55.71 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
Last edited by EnochRoot on Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:57 pm There’s a show on The History Channel premiering Saturday night called After Jackie. It’s a documentary about the issues faced by the black players who played immediately and the generation after Jackie Robinson. A good friend of mine is interviewed in the show. Her name is Debbie White. She’s the daughter of Bill White, former player for the Giants, Cardinals, and Phillies, announcer for the Yankees, and National League president. Check it out!

(Unfortunately, I don’t get the History Channel on YouTubeTV.)
Here's a LINK, if you want to watch this show:
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Caught up with Barry last night, and I'm blown away by the show. I watched the first season when it came out, and I liked it, but didn't get back into it. All the posts here made me revisit. Season 2 was great, but Season 3 was just...unlike anything I've ever seen. So dark, some great action scenes done in a unique way. Hader tried some really experimental stuff, but it played out perfectly.

My favorite episode was the episode in season 2 where he fights the father then the daughter. So brilliant, and like most of the show, a bizarre LOL moment in the middle of a major fight scene or tense moment. I could write pages on how great that episode was.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:05 pm Just finished weeklong watch on stranger things 4 parts 1–7. That was really quite excellent. Especially episode 7.
Yup. Finished up the first 7 eps last night.
[+] spoiler
But I don't understand why Mike et all got shafted out of the last 1.5 episodes entirely. Also, until ep 7, the Hopper stuff seemed Sisyphean.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Did anyone stick it out with the Walking Dead? I have it on my DVR and every now and then watch an episode. And every time I do, I wonder why I continue to care. The completist in me wants to see it through, but it's a slog. Anyone have a yea or nay about the last season?
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:02 am Apologies if I missed it, but is anyone clocking the new-ish David Simon show on HBO. We Own This City basically picks up the Baltimore PD post Freddie Gray. I'm two episodes in and it's REALLY good. Follows a story that, even for Baltimore, was pretty stunning at the time (Gun Task Force unit that was basically a criminal operation for about 4 years.)
I finished it last week, and liked it for the most part. But really didn't like the one Fed investigator character, who I felt like was just there to be Ms. Exposition.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Terminal List (Chris Pratt and Riggins from Friday Night Lights). 3 Episodes in. More Amazon, formulaic, algo driven (maybe AI written at this point) stuff. Low budget (but spend money on the big name actor) and average script (there is nothing very unique about this story from what I can gather). Much like the reusing of the Tom Clancy character name and title for Without Remorse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:03 pm The Terminal List (Chris Pratt and Riggins from Friday Night Lights). 3 Episodes in. More Amazon, formulaic, algo driven (maybe AI written at this point) stuff. Low budget (but spend money on the big name actor) and average script (there is nothing very unique about this story from what I can gather). Much like the reusing of the Tom Clancy character name and title for Without Remorse.
That's very disappointing. I really enjoyed the book a lot. Been on the waitlist forever at the library for the second book in the series (I think there are four out, and Jack Carr is still writing them). I was looking forward to the show since I first heard the announcement they were making it into a show. I'm still going to give it a shot. I've heard Pratt talking about it on a couple podcasts, and he had me hyped up. Apparently he read the book and decided he had to own the rights, and the director had the same thought, and wanted Pratt for the role.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shit. I thought that was a movie and was kinda excited to just watch a two hour commitment.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I get the Running Up That Hill thing now. Pretty intense scene.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:11 pm I get the Running Up That Hill thing now. Pretty intense scene.
We watched this episode nine times while I was there and finally he gets it.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I haven't watched Stranger Things but I've never gotten the Kate Bush thing. She's sandpaper to my ears and I've got a sister and a very good friend that are huge into her and have tried to influence me.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My oldest is watching it so I've been catching bits and pieces in the background. I think I'll start watching fully with her when she gets to season 3.

We are three episodes into Severance and we are completely hooked. Amazing show so far.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Anytime anyone watches Severance, and angel gets its wings. Its absolutely fantastic.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:34 am Anytime anyone watches Severance, and angel gets its wings. Its absolutely fantastic.
I tried it, but just wasn't in the right mindset. I see its merits but maybe some day when I'm just walking dogs and delivering UberEats I will feel less disturbed by the general principle (say this knowing I probably don't fully understand where its going having only watch 2.5 eps.).
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

OK, Stranger Things Dump (Do we just need a new thread?) after season 4 complete

[+] spoiler
Really enjoyed the last two episodes/telnovellas)

1.) Still underused Mike/Will/ et al overall this season.
2.) You KNEW they weren't gonna kill off Max
3.) Whole Russian thing at least finally tied it together. Just hope a Russian can have no name and move to the US
4.) Lucas's performance when things started going really bad for Max was amazing acting. That kid was great all season, to be honest.
5.) I wasn't as attached to Eddie and always figured he might not make it.
6.) The vecna being behind it all was a decent twist that sets up Season 5 well
7.) An earthquake? FOH!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We watched the last four Severance episodes last night and holy shit. The next season needs to start now.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yeah, I am pulling AB's tv review membership over this Severance fiasco.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:10 pm Fresh out of Joe Pera. :(
Nooooooooooo

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:32 pm
rass wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:10 pm Fresh out of Joe Pera. :(
Nooooooooooo

He's going on tour this fall though. No date for Tampa listed, but they did add it at the end with a "?".
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Joe Perra is such a bizarre show, I can't explain why I like it so much. It's the perfect show to watch before bed after watching something suspenseful or makes you thing too much to go to sleep. Pop on an episode and he just lulls my brain into a state of relaxation and feeling at peace. It's so funny, but in a strange way. The characters are so odd and quirky, almost pathetic, but you aren't laughing at them or making fun of them.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:57 pm Yeah, I am pulling AB's tv review membership over this Severance fiasco.
That's fine. I should really just stick to Chopped and Triple D.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Really wanted to like "I Love That For You" with Vanessa Bayer (who I just love).

But it's just not all that good. Abandoned in the middle of episode 5 when they brought out a prime example of what Roger Ebert called "the idiot plot."

What made it worse was that it was part of a dramatic turn that could have worked...

And sadly, she's just not a strong enough actress to play a lead.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I really like her, listened to a fun and interesting interview with Conan, but...

The plot of the show left me a little "meh." I can see how delving into it could be funny, so I wasn't dismissing it outright, but she is so clearly into the TV shopping network world IRL and I'm like "That is a world I just don't care about."

Plus, it's on Showtime so it might was well exist in Santa's Workshop or another dimension or whatever.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:34 am Anytime anyone watches Severance, and angel gets its wings. Its absolutely fantastic.
Watched the last 3-4 episodes tonight. Holy shit, great show. So odd and creepy, but they slowly reveal more and more depths.
[+] spoiler
The reveal at the end of episode 7 - that Gemma is the wellness lady - damn. That changed everything. Good stuff in the final episode too, especially about Helly (who's sexy as hell), but nothing topped that Gemma reveal.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Yeah. Severance is probably one of the best two or three TV series I’ve ever seen.

It’s just off-the-charts.
[+] spoiler
I say that expecting Season 2 will likely not be as good as this past season.

Btw, Capitani on Netflix is a surprisingly good show.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Anyone watch The Bear on Hulu? It's pretty good. 8 'half hour' episodes means you can just burn through it quickly.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:30 pm Anyone watch The Bear on Hulu? It's pretty good. 8 'half hour' episodes means you can just burn through it quickly.
Yeah, really digging it. As all of the reviews mention, it's frenetic as fuck, but once you get used to the pacing, the story and characters are outstanding.

I'm 2 episodes in and loving the aspiring sous chef (sidney?)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:05 am
Johnnie wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:30 pm Anyone watch The Bear on Hulu? It's pretty good. 8 'half hour' episodes means you can just burn through it quickly.
Yeah, really digging it. As all of the reviews mention, it's frenetic as fuck, but once you get used to the pacing, the story and characters are outstanding.

I'm 2 episodes in and loving the aspiring sous chef (sidney?)
She's great. Also the voice of Missy in Big Mouth.

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm8731249/?ref_=tt_cl_t_3

Read today it got renewed for a Season 2 as well.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Queueing up “The Old Man” (Jeff Bridges, John Lithgow, Amy Brenneman) on Hulu to watch this weekend.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:05 am Queueing up “The Old Man” (Jeff Bridges, John Lithgow, Amy Brenneman) on Hulu to watch this weekend.
^ I’m three episodes in (watching it with the old man, btw).

It’s good.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:40 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:05 am Queueing up “The Old Man” (Jeff Bridges, John Lithgow, Amy Brenneman) on Hulu to watch this weekend.
^ I’m three episodes in (watching it with the old man, btw).

It’s good.
Touching story from Jeff Bridges about this. They were supposed to make this a year or two earlier, but he was sick (cancer, IIRC). He met with one of the producers and I think John Lithgow. They saw he wasn't up to it and both made up stories that their schedules were packed for a year to give Bridges time to recover without feeling guilty they held up production for him.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

That’s pretty cool.
Noli Timere Messorem