The OFFICIAL 2022 NFL Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL 2022 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:21 am I hope you received permission to post that.
I did not. Pray for me.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

FFS this stuff is nuts, the first guy to get banned was Pacman Jones and he got done for an entire season (that situation was not during the current CBA). Pacman did some stuff, he admitted some of it and it was not great, but I am pretty sure it didn't involve 24 + cases of sexual assault.

Didn't Calvin Ridley get a season for a bit of gambling, or am I mis-remembering his shit?

Also, is the Judge related to Watson, or blowing him, or some such?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Tom 1860 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:24 pm FFS this stuff is nuts, the first guy to get banned was Pacman Jones and he got done for an entire season (that situation was not during the current CBA). Pacman did some stuff, he admitted some of it and it was not great, but I am pretty sure it didn't involve 24 + cases of sexual assault.

Didn't Calvin Ridley get a season for a bit of gambling, or am I mis-remembering his shit?

The only justification I can think of, and I'm not agreeing with it, is Ridley bet on NFL games while Watson's infractions had no connection to the NFL.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:22 pm
Tom 1860 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:24 pm FFS this stuff is nuts, the first guy to get banned was Pacman Jones and he got done for an entire season (that situation was not during the current CBA). Pacman did some stuff, he admitted some of it and it was not great, but I am pretty sure it didn't involve 24 + cases of sexual assault.

The only justification I can think of, and I'm not agreeing with it, is Ridley bet on NFL games while Watson's infractions had no connection to the NFL.
Well, except his former team that settled dozens of cases.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Women working for the NFL need to be coming out collectively and stating how shite this is...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:22 pmThe only justification I can think of, and I'm not agreeing with it, is Ridley bet on NFL games while Watson's infractions had no connection to the NFL.
I think its fine to disconnect those two, but then you get into Josh Gordon et all ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:33 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:22 pmThe only justification I can think of, and I'm not agreeing with it, is Ridley bet on NFL games while Watson's infractions had no connection to the NFL.
I think its fine to disconnect those two, but then you get into Josh Gordon et all ...
But drugs!
-Pruitt
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Watson is clearly a piece of shit and the Browns organisation has plenty of proper cunts at the top (you just need to look at Watson's contract). The Texans clearly have some complete wankers ensuring that legally they are not up to their necks by paying all these women off.

I am sure their are plenty of other entitled, sexist, misogynistic players, coaches and front office types in the NFL. I am also sure there are a lot of lawyers making money from all of this, but at what point does it become a joke?
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:22 pm
Rozelle put a really thick line in the sand decades ago when he suspended two All Pros for a year for betting on games.

Neither he, nor any succeeding Commissioner has done the same with sex crimes. I fully understand the former, but the latter makes no sense.

(Unless of course, misogyny)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Wow.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:44 pm

Wow.
It’s a special recipe made for the Alouettes (red peel potatoes, cheese curds, pork lard and pulled pork from Quebec, caramel popcorn, fried onions, and Avril’s signature maple and Amaretto sauce.
The good news is that there is a hospital literally next door to their stadium.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It’s important that the pork lard be locally sourced.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

My paternal grandmother used pork lard to start her red gravy. Good as hell.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:05 pm It’s important that the pork lard be locally sourced.
Pretty hearty LOL over here. Also think I suffered a heart attack just reading that description.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The caramel popcorn at the end made me feel sick.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Tom 1860 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:59 pm Watson is clearly a piece of shit and the Browns organisation has plenty of proper cunts at the top (you just need to look at Watson's contract). The Texans clearly have some complete wankers ensuring that legally they are not up to their necks by paying all these women off.

I am sure their are plenty of other entitled, sexist, misogynistic players, coaches and front office types in the NFL. I am also sure there are a lot of lawyers making money from all of this, but at what point does it become a joke?
At the point where Tom Brady may have gamed a very un-governed policy on weighted footballs received a four game suspension, and a man who sexually assault over 30 women received one for six games.

Fuck this league.
Noli Timere Messorem
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Tom Brady most definitely kicks puppies though.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pruitt3 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:53 pmNeither he, nor any succeeding Commissioner has done the same with sex crimes. I fully understand the former, but the latter makes no sense.

(Unless of course, misogyny)
It’s that they straight up don’t care unless fans care. See Ray Rice before and after others saw the video the league already had access to.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Tom 1860 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:28 pm Women working for the NFL need to be coming out collectively and stating how shite this is...
I am reminded of asking a someone of her opinion of how her employer handled Ray Rice in the immediate aftermath, but leading the question with "you, as a person, not as an employee". Answer was very boilerplate and centered around how they're trying.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Ray Ratto in yesterday's daily email from Defector (weekdays only):
Roger Goodell may not be happy about the Deshaun Watson suspension-ette (six games and $345,000, or .0015 of his $230 million salary), because it makes the NFL look incredibly complicit in Watson's behavior. But he still has the final say as the stuffed shirt who hears any appeal, including one that would be filed by the league that pays him $60 million per year.

That said, since he's almost certainly a short-timer whose reputation among anyone not devoted to the accumulation of obscene wealth without consequences is already filth, he probably won't bother to do anything. The power lost in the commissioner's office will be the problem of one of his successors, Troy Vincent, or Eric Trump, or Sean Hannity, and the desecrated view of the NFL as fun for women as well as men is not going to matter because the NFL eats bad news and shits it out as good news as part of their titanium colon. Nothing happened here—again.

But let's be honest—any system of justice run by the employer is bound to be not just imperfect but nowhere close to justice. The NFL's job is not to do right by people, but about protecting people inside the shield and minimizing any P.R. damage those people do. Watson's sexual assault allegations never mattered nearly as much as getting the talented miscreant back at his metaphorical desk as quickly as possible. The NFL will weather this as they will weather Danny Snyder, as they weather everything else—with an outstretched hand waiting for cash and an extended middle finger protruding from the other.

Watson won outright because he has proven he can be the best player on a bad team and is therefore officially in the good graces of his employer forever. The NFL Players Association won because it now sets the new precedent for punishment at 35 percent of a season for anything except punching a woman in an elevator on video (Ray Rice) and kidnapping an owner at gunpoint (not yet done, but we live in hope). The Cleveland Browns won because their gamble to throw the entire NFL salary structure into an incinerator pays off; maybe they knew all along that Watson was never going to do more than the six. Even women won,in a weird ass-backward way, because while they have been reminded yet again and more firmly than ever that they are merely usable commodities with platinum cards in the eyes of the league, they now have even less reason to fall for the largely illusory lure of watching a Browns-Bengals game.

It does, however, end the notion of the commissioner as a judge and jury, because Goodell, who was hired to discipline rogue employees, failed at it so often that he largely gave up trying and settled for beating the networks out of billions and collecting more than $400 million for doing so. Now he's gotten rid of the mall cop headache, too, leaving him with only one onerous duty: answering for the industry that is for brains what coal is for lungs. And that he'll probably leave for Vincent, too.

Or knowing how cynical these creeps are, Marjorie Taylor Greene.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The sad thing, as much bad press and "damage to the shield" that will come out of this weak ass suspension, giving Watson a deserving suspension or outright ban from the league would cause more reputational harm to the League. Saying this horrendous guy got a full season or lifetime ban kind of brings more attention to the underlying offenses (crimes?) and make them seem worse since they earned a bigger suspension. Not sure if my wording makes sense there. In a lot of ways, if Watson goes on to a successful career, his taint from this will be whitewashed. Sure, we all call Roethlisberger a rapist and Ray Lewis a murderer, but they returned to the league with their reputation virtually unscathed. Hell, Vick served prison time and returned and his appearance in games sort of normalized.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

With Why Your Team Sucks starting today, my NFL ‘22 prep will be reading the team preview in Football Outsiders then Magary, but I think I could be swayed in the other order.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

I have been watching sports for a hell of a long time, and even as a 10 year old who would cry after a tough loss by one of my teams, I never, ever wished harm on any athlete - no matter who they played for.

But I would really enjoy seeing Deshaun Watson get Theismanned in his first game for the Browns. I realize that his money is guaranteed, but it would be a joy to see the Browns doomed for the foreseeable future because they signed the POS.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Check that URL.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, posted the link following the wlu-style guidelines on purpose.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We're probably the only two clever enough to notice so I'm glad I called it out.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

You're the only one who caught onto the trick I did with the 5th letter of each post in the Griffith Observatory thread so you're probably right.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Even more impressive given that's a post I don't even bother opening.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wait, wait, wait you're saying that when you posted "my nAme IS daVe anD my dicK is hairier than my BallLs" that was just you??
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I've got Mac Jones as back-up qb on a dynasty team. What's going on, Pats fans...

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Bad vibes. Long play ok but growing pains. New offense
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

thanks
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

From "Why Your Team Sucks"...
Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 7.58.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 7.58.35 AM.png (36.61 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 8.00.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 8.00.17 AM.png (40.96 KiB) Viewed 295 times
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:03 pm I've got Mac Jones as back-up qb on a dynasty team. What's going on, Pats fans...
"Matt Patricia will work as senior football advisor/offensive line coach while Joe Judge serves as an offensive assistant/quarterbacks coach. The Patriots ultimately decided against naming an offensive coordinator to replace Josh McDaniels."

And more awesome news for the Bears...

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah, but i dont think its the new offensive coaches. Belichick wanted a new scheme. Reports since OTAs about substantial changes to the playbook. Supposedly trying to copy McVay and Niners.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

With Mac Jones as the QB? Um. Ok. That doesn't seem like a great plan but, genuinely, what do I know.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Well, yes, his fit has been a question. Either Belichick isnt so in love with Mac or thinks he can get it done in that scheme.