Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Steve of phpBB »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:17 pm Somebody had a good day in court. Call Syb quick. Maybe he can renege on that job and go help FedEx.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bu ... 248029001/
Doesn't Texas have very strict limitations on how much can be imposed against a defendant for punitive damages, as we learned in the Alex Jones case?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Anyone ever not pick up the leaves in your yard before winter? According to this article, it's not necessary at all but it honestly sounds like it will be a mess come spring.

Like there's no way they're going to biodegrade in 4 months, right?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:29 am Anyone ever not pick up the leaves in your yard before winter? According to this article, it's not necessary at all but it honestly sounds like it will be a mess come spring.
When I had two oak trees on my property I tried to get up as much as I could. Now I only have two much smaller trees, and I don't really bother with it unless I'm bored on a halfway warm weekend. As the trees in the neighborhood get bigger I probably will have to do a bit more, but my yard blows goats (though the sunday stuff is pretty good for it being the firt year. may take off even better next year).
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I have 45 bags of leaves and pine needles ready for pick-up today (a disturbingly high number of bags are needles, as we have three trees that drop enough of them to cover all the grass in those areas). I'm probably going to mow this weekend to chop up the whatever else has fallen and get the few patches of grass that have grown in the last several weeks.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:29 am Anyone ever not pick up the leaves in your yard before winter? According to this article, it's not necessary at all but it honestly sounds like it will be a mess come spring.

Someone posted a similar article on the town FB forum and I keep hearing people saying they aren't raking this year. I think it depends on the amount of leaf coverage. One year it got dark and started raining as I was finishing up the yard. I went in and didn't finish the last 6 feet on my side yard. It ended up snowing before I got to it. I picked up those leaves when the snow melted, but the damage was done. Completely killed the grass in that area. Come spring, that area was dead. My yard would be 5 inches thick and 100% covered if I left it and I have no doubt it'd kill all my grass. I am planning on mowing more. I timed it well, the first round I was able to mow when there was enough that it needed raking, but not too much that bagging was overly burdensome. I dump my grass behind the fence in the back, it's an easement for the electric company to drive on the grass between neighborhoods, and it's all overgrown bushes behind the fence. I bag my leaves and I think I finished the bulk of my bagging and I'm hoping to get away with mowing the rest.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just so you know, there's a foreskin-centric ... in that paragraph.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I only bag and pick up the leaves in the driveway. everything else gets chopped up in the yard with the mower after raking out from flowerbeds/etc. I don't know the last time I bagged leaves in the yard at either house. with them chopped up, it looks way better than if you left it and the leaves have a chance to biodegrade/work into the turf a little bit more.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I don't have the option of not raking, HOWEVAH... The county will scoop them up if you pile it up at the curb, so that means I don't have to bag too much. I have a LOT of leaves, so it's just not going to work (like Sex Machine) as it would kill almost my entire yard. My neighborhood has "woods" in then name, and it's very apt.

I do like getting it mostly clear and then mowing up the remainder. Agree that it helps the overall health of the lawn. And, it's a PITA to rake widely dispersed leaves all over the place.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Felt amazing this week when I realized it was our time for the street-side pickup before the trucks were going through.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I have sneezed a minimum of 7,000 times today.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

You ever throw out an exaggerated “ACHOO MUTHERFUCKER” after about 50 in a row hoping to scare the rest of the sneezes away? Cause I have.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, the Powerball pot is supposed to be about $1.9 billion tonight. Being a guy who has taken a statistics class, I generally don't play the lottery. But what the hell, I went to the liquor store to waste a couple bucks. Woo hoo, I bought a little fantasy of winning.

Guy in front of me at the counter bought $300 of quick picks. WTF?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The man plays the odds
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:04 pm So, the Powerball pot is supposed to be about $1.9 billion tonight. Being a guy who has taken a statistics class, I generally don't play the lottery. But what the hell, I went to the liquor store to waste a couple bucks. Woo hoo, I bought a little fantasy of winning.

That's what's known as "the idiot tax"
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Pruitt3 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:47 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:04 pm So, the Powerball pot is supposed to be about $1.9 billion tonight. Being a guy who has taken a statistics class, I generally don't play the lottery. But what the hell, I went to the liquor store to waste a couple bucks. Woo hoo, I bought a little fantasy of winning.

That's what's known as "the idiot tax"
He could also be purchasing on behalf of group of co-workers, family, etc.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:15 pm He could also be purchasing on behalf of group of co-workers, family, etc.
Yeah, that makes sense. Could definitely be the case.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Never go get drinks with people older than you that you have loose social affection for.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:13 pm Never go get drinks with people older than you that you have loose social affection for.
Are you seeing you’ll snub me if I come visit?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I know your politics. You're safe.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Gronk was actually in town last week for homecoming. My friends happened to be out and saw him.

I missed the opportunity to tell him that I'd divorce my wife and marry him if he wanted USAA that bad.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

my dad taught at the high school he went to - retired before G came in but dad has (reliable) friends that still worked there that reaffirm that gronk was/is every bit the asshole/robotool you thought he was.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

MaxWebster wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:35 am my dad taught at the high school he went to - retired before G came in but dad has (reliable) friends that still worked there that reaffirm that gronk was/is every bit the asshole/robotool you thought he was.
It's kinda tough to not think about him as a frat boy despite how he kept his nose clean throughout his playing days. He also still shows up on U of A Instagram accounts partying. He was in school here during my first assignment at Davis-Monthan and he was very much known for being "the guy."

Hell, a friend of a friend is a professor at U of A now, but he worked security back then and he said he's physically thrown him out of clubs several times.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:35 am my dad taught at the high school he went to - retired before G came in but dad has (reliable) friends that still worked there that reaffirm that gronk was/is every bit the asshole/robotool you thought he was.
I can't fathom Gronk not being the guy we all think he is. Certainly didn't try to hide that impression at all.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You are one bad man if you are physically removing a drunken gronk from a club.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Guys, there's an entire Family Guy episode about this.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

When I went to Safeway the other day I figured I'd get a 12 pack of soda. I don't drink it often, but I figured what the heck.

$8. EIGHT FUCKING DOLLARS for 144 total oz of soda.

But I could download their dumb app and use a digital coupon to get 3 12 packs for $12 or something.

Like, what? They want my data that much they'll jack up the price of soda to get it?

I'll just drink tap water until it gets back to a reasonable price. Or, I'll grab an Arizona Iced Tea. That was 89 cents.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Kroger has run that type of scheme for years, but usually it was 5.99 a six pack or 3/12. They're just moving inventory baby and they make a killing even at the $4 per 12-pack already. Aren't soda and cereal the two biggest profit margin items in a grocery?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:27 pm Kroger has run that type of scheme for years, but usually it was 5.99 a six pack or 3/12. They're just moving inventory baby and they make a killing even at the $4 per 12-pack already. Aren't soda and cereal the two biggest profit margin items in a grocery?
I'm trying to remember micro econ class. I can't right now, but I'll say yes. Sounds about right.

Also too, I live in a semi-bougie suburb of Tucson now and this is the closest supermarket. There are others 15-20 minutes away, so this is definitely a proximity play.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We don't have Safeways here. When we went to Kauai, it was the nearest grocery store and I took a chance and put in my sister's phone number which ended up saving me like $50.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:54 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:27 pm Kroger has run that type of scheme for years, but usually it was 5.99 a six pack or 3/12. They're just moving inventory baby and they make a killing even at the $4 per 12-pack already. Aren't soda and cereal the two biggest profit margin items in a grocery?
I'm trying to remember micro econ class. I can't right now, but I'll say yes. Sounds about right.
Gotta get you in the door with those loss leaders and make money when you buy the other stuff on your shopping list.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:24 pm When I went to Safeway the other day I figured I'd get a 12 pack of soda. I don't drink it often, but I figured what the heck.

$8. EIGHT FUCKING DOLLARS for 144 total oz of soda.

But I could download their dumb app and use a digital coupon to get 3 12 packs for $12 or something.

Like, what? They want my data that much they'll jack up the price of soda to get it?

I'll just drink tap water until it gets back to a reasonable price. Or, I'll grab an Arizona Iced Tea. That was 89 cents.
Ask the cashier if they have a code. They usually do.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think grocery loss leaders are more perishable stuff. That's why dairy is always at the back of the store, so you walk past everything else. Think also the $5 rotisserie chickens.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Whenever I use the grocery store loyalty card I think of Bill Burr.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I wandered into a couple of grocery stores while in Costa Rica and they don’t refrigerate the eggs down there.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’m always amazed at price discrepancies. Ground chicken is half the price at Trader Joe’s compared to Lucky/Albertsons, but is the other way around on chips.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:40 pm I’m always amazed at price discrepancies. Ground chicken is half the price at Trader Joe’s compared to Lucky/Albertsons, but is the other way around on chips.
The price discrepancies of diesel boggle my mind. Prices can differ over fifty cents a gallon between stations three blocks apart. The name brand truck stops on the highway charge a quarter more per gallon than the other places. And there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it - it can be cheaper out in the middle of nowhere than in town.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:53 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:40 pm I’m always amazed at price discrepancies. Ground chicken is half the price at Trader Joe’s compared to Lucky/Albertsons, but is the other way around on chips.
The price discrepancies of diesel boggle my mind. Prices can differ over fifty cents a gallon between stations three blocks apart. The name brand truck stops on the highway charge a quarter more per gallon than the other places. And there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it - it can be cheaper out in the middle of nowhere than in town.
Gas stations normally price their product based on what they paid for it the last time their tanks were filled. There will be some tweaks based on current market price/station owner willingness to adjust their profit margin, but they normally stick close to the price they need to sell it based on their wholesale cost. Prices at bigger/busier stations are often more volatile because they keep buying new inventory.

The highway locations are strictly location, location, location.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Gas pricing is infuriating. It's absurd that we pay anywhere from .50-1.00 less a gallon than those in poorer areas.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:20 pm I think grocery loss leaders are more perishable stuff. That's why dairy is always at the back of the store, so you walk past everything else. Think also the $5 rotisserie chickens.
It's a combination of the two. The perishable stuff needs to be turned over, but there is also the stuff that is always on sale in the flyer (soda, ice cream/crackers/chips/cereal where the brand that is on sale changes every week, frozen entrees, canned goods, etc.). Basically, they put enough stuff on sale that to get you in so you do all your shopping at once and also buy the stuff that is regularly priced.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

There is one corner here where one gas station charges 25 cents more per gallon than the one across the street from it. Can’t understand why anybody goes to the expensive place, unless maybe they are corporate accounts.