Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:06 pm There is one corner here where one gas station charges 25 cents more per gallon than the one across the street from it. Can’t understand why anybody goes to the expensive place, unless maybe they are corporate accounts.
Right-hand turn vs. left hand turn.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:07 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:06 pm There is one corner here where one gas station charges 25 cents more per gallon than the one across the street from it. Can’t understand why anybody goes to the expensive place, unless maybe they are corporate accounts.
Nah. Both are good locations.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Another weird thing. Our little town is home to what is probably the most popular high-end steak house in the county. So, what opens across the street from them? (On a no-car pedestrian street). Another high-end steak house. Predictably, the newer place stays mostly empty, despite a great location and building. My wife and I joke that it must be a front for some illegal operation.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:01 pmThe highway locations are strictly location, location, location.
I dunno. I get the concept, but these differences appear where there's very little reason to think one location is better than another. And that still wouldn't fully explain why diesel prices vary so much more than regular gas prices.

Though I think some of the big-name truck stops may charge more because they have charge programs for certain truck networks. Those favored buyers probably pay less anyway, and then the rest of their sales are to people who choose to buy from Love's or Pilot/Flying J because they just assume the prices are better there.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A few weeks ago, I was driving on the NY Thruway. Big sign for a truck stop that is right next to the tollbooth. Gas was probably 30-40 cents a gallon cheaper than getting it while on the Thruway. And while you still have to stop, get out, and pump gas regardless of where you go, so many people don't want to waste 5-7 minutes exiting and going through a tollbooth, then reversing the process on the way back, even with EZ Pass.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:07 pm
The gas station that you hit first in Silverthorne CO is the worse, like 75 / 80 cents more per gallon.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

What's everyone's preferred sports tickets website?

No idea why I didn't realize this sooner, but the Pats play the Cardinals in Glendale on 12 December.

Tickets look affordable for good seats on Ticket Master and Seat Geek, but I'm trying to avoid fees.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Check to see if there is a secondary market ticket site attached to the Cardinals’s site. I do that for Sharks games and it is much cheaper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:01 pm Check to see if there is a secondary market ticket site attached to the Cardinals’s site. I do that for Sharks games and it is much cheaper.
I'll do that. Thank you. I also learned I could use GovX for tickets as well.

A few hundred bucks for 50 yard line seats seems really good from what I'm seeing. Thank you, fair weather fans!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Back at the same exact neuro ICU I was in on Saturday for my co-worker. An old friend of mine suffered a stroke this morning and had surgery. Luckily it sounds like he will make it through, but this has not been a fun few days.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

God damn, dude. Hope this all flips around soon.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

It's totally okay to ask to be removed from a group text that you were part of where your phone only recognizes 2 out of the 7 numbers, even though you probably know those people from years ago, right?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:08 pm It's totally okay to ask to be removed from a group text that you were part of where your phone only recognizes 2 out of the 7 numbers, even though you probably know those people from years ago, right?
I mute the conversation when my M-i-L carpet bombs all her children and children's spouses and their own children.

eta: if it's important, my wife will inform me.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That weird nose, throat, & tonsil thing I'm dealing with? I think I'm allergic to oat milk.

When I had coffee the last few times at home I had it with oat milk and sugar. I had that weird feeling immediately after. Then I had a Starbucks latte a few days ago and nothing. Then I drank it black. Nothing. But after I had a small glass of only oat milk tingles and swollenness. Nothing to get an epi-pen for, but enough to be like "Oh, this feels bad."

Like, how the hell do I just suddenly get an allergy like this?
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

:slowly stops lurking as a result of school work and job interviews:

This happened to me with kiwi in my late 30s and raw peas later. Found that out on my 40th birthday after eating a ton of them while cleaning what I picked from the garden. I almost had the wife take me to urgent care/ER on that one. Wife also developed issues with avocados within the last several years.

Look up oral allergy syndrome.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Damn, from what I'm reading that seems like it. I also feel stuff in my sinuses too. It's a warm tingly feeling.

I bet there's something in the air as all of the construction is going on. Luckily I'll see the VA docs on the 28th and let them know. I may need another allergy test. When I lived in New Mexico I got tested and not was I allergic to some shit. Most notably juniper and cottonwood amongst several grasses and flowers. I bet it's the same here.

Thanks for the unlurk, PHX.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

phxgators wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:04 pm :slowly stops lurking as a result of school work and job interviews:

This happened to me with kiwi in my late 30s and raw peas later. Found that out on my 40th birthday after eating a ton of them while cleaning what I picked from the garden. I almost had the wife take me to urgent care/ER on that one. Wife also developed issues with avocados within the last several years.

Look up oral allergy syndrome.
I developed the avocado thing late in life too. I eat them, but it makes my mouth itch.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I once read that allergies can suddenly develop or disappear as our body chemistry changes. I don’t understand how it works, but when I was a baby I was allergic to milk and when I was little I was allergic to strawberries, but I grew out of both. My wife was suddenly allergic to apples like 10 years ago. Itchy throat. Very mild so she will still eat them occasionally. Her mother developed a sudden allergy to peaches. Every couple years she’d try one to see if she was still allergic, and it went away. Very weird.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I’m just glad we’re getting these soft little oat boys out of our great military.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:28 pmThen I drank it black.
Heh.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I suspect I'm allergic to avocados. Many, many years ago, the wife and I were at a neighbor's for dinner. Not longer after, I started feeling very sick and knew I needed to hurl. I rushed out of there and barely got home in time. I assumed that woman food poisoned me with her spaghetti. Then a year or so later, I had guac with chips and lunch and spent the rest of the afternoon sure I was gonna puke (but didn't). That was when I put 2+2 together and remembered that we had homemade guac at the neighbor's house. I haven't had guacamole or avocados since. Which sucks, because guac is pretty awesome.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So the owner of the indie-music bastion, WRNR (103.1), Steve Kingston, has just sold the radio station to a fucking Christian broadcast company.

https://patch.com/maryland/annapolis/wr ... any-report

Yeah. These are fun times.
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:11 pm I suspect I'm allergic to avocados. Many, many years ago, the wife and I were at a neighbor's for dinner. Not longer after, I started feeling very sick and knew I needed to hurl. I rushed out of there and barely got home in time. I assumed that woman food poisoned me with her spaghetti. Then a year or so later, I had guac with chips and lunch and spent the rest of the afternoon sure I was gonna puke (but didn't). That was when I put 2+2 together and remembered that we had homemade guac at the neighbor's house. I haven't had guacamole or avocados since. Which sucks, because guac is pretty awesome.
I have a random allergy/intolerance for quinoa. It developed about 8 years ago or so and I get incredible stomach pain/cramps after eating it. It's bizarre. I love quinoa and have eaten a bunch of it in the past. but after it happened 3-4 times over a year or so it was clear what was going on.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Astros have more wins in November than the Rockets and Texans combined.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:12 am
Shirley wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:11 pm I suspect I'm allergic to avocados. Many, many years ago, the wife and I were at a neighbor's for dinner. Not longer after, I started feeling very sick and knew I needed to hurl. I rushed out of there and barely got home in time. I assumed that woman food poisoned me with her spaghetti. Then a year or so later, I had guac with chips and lunch and spent the rest of the afternoon sure I was gonna puke (but didn't). That was when I put 2+2 together and remembered that we had homemade guac at the neighbor's house. I haven't had guacamole or avocados since. Which sucks, because guac is pretty awesome.
I have a random allergy/intolerance for quinoa. It developed about 8 years ago or so and I get incredible stomach pain/cramps after eating it. It's bizarre. I love quinoa and have eaten a bunch of it in the past. but after it happened 3-4 times over a year or so it was clear what was going on.
Yeah, intolerance is probably a better word than allergy for me.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Giff wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:58 pm The Astros have more wins in November than the Rockets and Texans combined.
Ouch!
Canadian International
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I went down to the grocery store to pick up a few things today, and as I headed back to the car I noticed the temp had dropped a few degrees, the skies had darkened and the wind had picked up. I loaded the car with the groceries, and then turned on the car to the beginning of Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

Late November afternoon drive back home during the wind and rain to a song about a November day filled with wind and rain.

There's got to be a sniglet for this type of experience: where you are living (if even a small part of) the song you're hearing on the radio.

I wanted to write about this once I got home, but then I read the news re: Christie McVie and it threw me for a (admittedly, surprising) loop.
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:30 pmThere's got to be a sniglet for this type of experience: where you are living (if even a small part of) the song you're hearing on the radio.
Last fall, "Rio" by Duran Duran came on Spotify. Very random, since it wasn't even on our playlists at the time and I don't think I'd heard it in decades.

It came on as we were driving across the Rio Grande in Bernalillo, New Mexico.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:57 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:30 pmThere's got to be a sniglet for this type of experience: where you are living (if even a small part of) the song you're hearing on the radio.
Last fall, "Rio" by Duran Duran came on Spotify. Very random, since it wasn't even on our playlists at the time and I don't think I'd heard it in decades.

It came on as we were driving across the Rio Grande in Bernalillo, New Mexico.
Rādē vōō
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

it's also a phrase that is a euphemism for a sex position that became more widely known because of a fake news story

would be fun to see all the local news stations doing stories on this over the next two days (it was on the one I watch this AM already) try to explain it but alas
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Just found out a 42-year-old very much in shape mother of a girl on my youngest's soccer team dropped dead of a massive heart attack this weekend.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jeez Giff.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Sorry Giff.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

That is horrifying.

Sorry Giff.
Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Thanks guys. I didn't really know her know her all that well, but it's so damn scary. I'm tired of getting reminders of our mortality guys.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:44 pm Thanks guys. I didn't really know her know her all that well, but it's so damn scary. I'm tired of getting reminders of our mortality guys.
Step away from the OFL, then, because your team's recent activity cannot be good for your health.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:04 pm
Giff wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:44 pm Thanks guys. I didn't really know her know her all that well, but it's so damn scary. I'm tired of getting reminders of our mortality guys.
Step away from the OFL, then, because your team's recent activity cannot be good for your health.
I’m focusing on finishing first in my other two cash leagues. Win $100 in one if I win this week wrapping up top seed in a 14-team league. And I’m happy tennbengal is continuing the tradition I started of guys kicking that league’s ass in their first season.

Plus, I ain’t out of it yet! Pug owners stick together.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"Ah, the Luftwaffe - The Washington Generals of the History Channel."

Homer Simpson
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

My son was late for his class today.

Because of Allied bombing.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/hu ... r-AA155crd