World Cup 2022 - Qatar

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

duff
Donny

Re: World Cup 2022 - Qatar

Post by duff »

I thought he was adequate. Really nothing to complain about, it wasn't the refs fault. Just read Citgo about what killed the momentum and game for the US. It was the right call and a terrible boneheaded mistake by Ream.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

degenerasian wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:26 pm I thought the refereeing was fine. He actually let a lot of the play flow and wasn't blowing everything single thing down. If you didn't know where he was from, you wouldn't have noticed.
I suppose my point was the players (especially those from Wales) were looking to buy cheap fouls and the ref fell for a few whoppers. However, I think he got the big calls right, including the cards, none of which I felt were soft.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don’t think he changed the outcome but the two US cards then not showing one to Mepham didn’t help.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

duff wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:31 pm I thought he was adequate. Really nothing to complain about, it wasn't the refs fault. Just read Citgo about what killed the momentum and game for the US. It was the right call and a terrible boneheaded mistake by Ream.
The momentum was already lost by then. Tale of two halves as well as one dumbass play.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:39 pm
duff wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:31 pm I thought he was adequate. Really nothing to complain about, it wasn't the refs fault. Just read Citgo about what killed the momentum and game for the US. It was the right call and a terrible boneheaded mistake by Ream.
The momentum was already lost by then. Tale of two halves as well as one dumbass play.
It was Zimmerman!
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, Ream was great. They weren’t tested a ton but played as well as I could ask our CBs to for like 81 minutes.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Man bun on man bun violence will always draw a foul.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:04 pm
tennbengal wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:50 pm I can't believe, even as much as I loathe him, GGG really put morris into this game and not reyna
I’ve been told you can’t complain that far down the roster and they won’t be factors anyway.
I assume this is aimed at me... I was screaming at the TV to bring on Gio and when they announced Morris I was pissed. Announcers and post game were saying Gio must not be fully recovered from his injury or have another issue. If Pepi is on the roster, it's in place of Wright or Ferreira, not Morris. Like I've said, I'm good with brining Morris on to close out a game you are winning, especially if it's an extremely physical game. CP, Weah and Gio aren't cut out for that type of situation, and Morris has the pace, effort and ability to take a kicking to close out a game. Not just take a kicking, but not being too concerned about him getting injured.

Speaking of injuries, I'm really concerned about Musah. Looked like he was grabbing at his hamstring. Didn't look severe, but if Musah isn't ready to go, we struggle to create chances. I think he is the most underrated player on the team.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The guys on Fútbol America (ESPN+ sub req) broke it down pretty well, and pretty much described what I was seeing in the second half...
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:18 pm ESPN+ guys are tearing Berhalter a new asshole for not going to the bench sooner.
One sign of a poor manager is one who doesn't react to changes the other side makes fast enough.

I am obviously not as knowledgable as you guys regarding the USMNT, but around the 60th minute they looked like a shell of the team that was running the Welsh out of the stadium in the first half. Moore is a good player, but he shouldn;t have made that much of a difference.
Canadian International
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:35 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:18 pm ESPN+ guys are tearing Berhalter a new asshole for not going to the bench sooner.
One sign of a poor manager is one who doesn't react to changes the other side makes fast enough.

I am obviously not as knowledgable as you guys regarding the USMNT, but around the 60th minute they looked like a shell of the team that was running the Welsh out of the stadium in the first half. Moore is a good player, but he shouldn;t have made that much of a difference.
No, I'm closer to you in terms of not really being up to speed with the USMNT (and well, soccer in general), but I also saw what you saw.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Well if there was ever a game that shows you the value of a good manager at this level, that was it.

I mean, how do you not start Kieffer Moore right from the jump and play it long to him all night? I’ve seen enough of Rob Page, don’t @ me.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:37 pmI assume this is aimed at me...
Definitely not any one person. It was all over Twitter too and I got two texts as soon as they showed him. It’s “a thing” with me.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:09 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:37 pmI assume this is aimed at me...
Definitely not any one person. It was all over Twitter too and I got two texts as soon as they showed him. It’s “a thing” with me.
One of many...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Rex wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:24 pm Well if there was ever a game that shows you the value of a good manager at this level, that was it.

I mean, how do you not start Kieffer Moore right from the jump and play it long to him all night? I’ve seen enough of Rob Page, don’t @ me.
I saw that guy shred Spurs this season. Didn't even know he was from Wales until he came out for the second half.

Relying on Bale and Ramsey gets you... well, the first half today.
Canadian International
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

I is really not as simple as Moore or James for the manager. Ramsey and Bale have had almost no game time recently and they get tired after 60 minutes, Joe Allen is still to play this season.

I felt that Moore would play and Wales would start with a 3 - 4 - 3 formation with the fullbacks joining in midfield to stymy the US energy in that area and pressing high up the pitch. Page, obviously felt that he needed 3 in the middle of the park and two players with pace to break and press.

The US were too technically sound and able to walk the ball through midfield, exposing the flanks in the top third of the pitch and also meaning there was no press from the Welsh up top, giving your central defenders time on the ball.

Bringing on Moore changes that because the Welsh had an outlet up top and could play through him, while at the same time meaning all your football had to come through the flanks from the back in the 2nd half.

Any ho Wales will hope the beat Iran and the US lose to England, so both England and Wales can play out a draw in the final match.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Tom 1860 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:59 am
Any ho Wales will hope the beat Iran and the US lose to England, so both England and Wales can play out a draw in the final match.
this is the downside of the 6-2 England win. If it was 2-1 or even 2-0, the chances of England being content with the tie are slim. but with a potential +5 goal differential and six points ahead of the final match, England would essentially be guaranteed first with a draw.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Waking up and watching World Cup matches is fun. Saudi Arabia is playing inspired ball.
[+] spoiler
They scored twice within the first 8 minutes of 2H and are up 2-1 on Argentina.
Last edited by L-Jam3 on Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I checked score two minutes ago and it was 1-1.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

A_B wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:18 am I checked score two minutes ago and it was 1-1.
What a goal!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Argentina’s getting sportswashed
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

There’s still at least two more games and the World Cup only happens every four years, but if Argentina doesn’t do it, would Messi be the best player in a major team sport that never won The Big One?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Oof. That looked awful.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

We may be going on a Muslim country, but I’m glad that they haven’t halted reaction shots of hot chicks.
Last edited by L-Jam3 on Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

CONCACAF was doing 104 minute games before it was cool
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Holy Moley!

I'd say that they'll be partying in the streets of Riyadh, but that's just not done.
Canadian International
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:10 am Holy Moley!

I'd say that they'll be partying in the streets of Riyadh, but that's just not done.
They’re chopping up foreign journalists!

(Too soon? I don't think so. I got nothing against the good citizens of Saudi Arabia. But fuck MBS.)
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:24 am
Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:10 am Holy Moley!

They’re chopping up foreign journalists!

(Too soon? I don't think so. I got nothing against the good citizens of Saudi Arabia. But fuck MBS.)
Yeah - some underdogs are damn near impossible to cheer for.
Canadian International
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Canadian International
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Watching this current game has me wondering. Anyone ever been to Copenhagen? I'm kicking around an idea to take a few days there in May as a Valentine's Day gift.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Valentine's Day is in February, my man.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

It is? Shit. I hope I can change my reservations.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't have too much to add on the game yesterday. Really liked the lineup with Sargent putting in work and Weah being consistently busy down the right. Pulisic needs to let Adams work the ref and just play the damn game.

Second half is what I've been bitching about with GGG... As was stated all over the damn place, you don't drop back and let ANY team at this level take control of the game nursing a 1-0 lead. And as solid as Zimmerman was, that was just an incredibly dumb foul... Welsh player was facing away from goal and there was no need to panic there.

Still, all to play for...
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Oh, and I disagree about the ref. McKinnie's early yellow was well earned, but the ref totally bought some bullshit from the Welsh player and having any of your defenders sitting on a yellow from that early is a pretty big deal. Leveling things up a bit in the second half doesn't really make up for having a Dest play with a yellow for (potentially) 75 minutes.

He wasn't horrible and I think he settled down as things progressed. The PK was legit.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

One joy about the World Cup, and to a lesser extent the Olympics, is if you're a history buff you can have fun with the matchups. This MEX-POL tilt can be described as "who hates the Habsburgs more?"
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Huge Fucking Stop!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I know US was second in ticket sales only to Qatar, but, man... Mexico travels! Great crowd.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:16 pm Huge Fucking Stop!
The PK? The one Bale deposited in the back of the net yesterday was that much more impressive considering how puny the Pol's kick was.
Noli Timere Messorem
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:25 pm I know US was second in ticket sales only to Qatar, but, man... Mexico travels! Great crowd.
and boy could you not hear the US fans yesterday. 3000 Welsh fans out sang them all day long. Chants of USA, USA don't cut it in football.

Are there any funny chants regarding US players, or don't US fans do the chanting thing?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Tom 1860 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:16 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:25 pm I know US was second in ticket sales only to Qatar, but, man... Mexico travels! Great crowd.
and boy could you not hear the US fans yesterday. 3000 Welsh fans out sang them all day long. Chants of USA, USA don't cut it in football.

Are there any funny chants regarding US players, or don't US fans do the chanting thing?
Unless Jack White is riffing that idiotic song, we got nuthin.
Noli Timere Messorem