Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:36 am
Rush2112 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:58 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:40 am
Yes. They seem great. But I don't have a bluetooth MP3 player. I have a chincy, tiny one without Bluetooth connectivity.
You don't use your phone as your media player?
Nope. Not at all. I really only listen to music when I work out. And if I'm doing that I don't want to have heavy/bulky things on me. Thus, a small, chincy Sony MP3 player.

I don't have Spotify. I was using Amazon Music. But now it appears that they've done away with you skipping tracks all the time unless you want to pay more.
So you hate Apple, but like Amazon? Odd.

Anyway, you want a HD-based MP3 player that has no relationship with streaming. SanDisk. Something like that.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:24 amSo you hate Apple, but like Amazon? Odd.
In terms of tech, absolutely. Apple may very well be the better product, but I'm cheap and I want malleability.

Non-Apple products allow that. Plus, if I already have Amazon Prime and it comes with a music service, I'm not paying more money for a different music service.

Unless your comment is about something non tech related...
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:24 amAnyway, you want a HD-based MP3 player that has no relationship with streaming. SanDisk. Something like that.
I'll look into that. Thank you.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Apparently there's a quasi-Allison Stokke situation brewing with some hot LSU gymnast.

A bunch of young guys showed up at a recent Utah-LSU gymnastics meet and caused an uproar cheering for the girl and seeking her out, despite the fact that she wasn't even competing.

(By the way, Allison Stokke is now in her 30s and is married with a kid.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My wife and I were watching some show on one of the streaming services and her Vuori ad came on multiple times. I had no idea who she was, but she thought their joggers were the GREATEST PIECE OF CLOTHING SHE'S EVER WORN.

After googling, she's a damn millionaire because social media.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:05 am Apparently there's a quasi-Allison Stokke situation brewing with some hot LSU gymnast.

A bunch of young guys showed up at a recent Utah-LSU gymnastics meet and caused an uproar cheering for the girl and seeking her out, despite the fact that she wasn't even competing.

(By the way, Allison Stokke is now in her 30s and is married with a kid.)
To Rickie Fowler
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:24 am My wife and I were watching some show on one of the streaming services and her Vuori ad came on multiple times. I had no idea who she was, but she thought their joggers were the GREATEST PIECE OF CLOTHING SHE'S EVER WORN.

No no no. Remember, NIL is going to make it impossible for the non revenue athletes to get in the game and make anything. Don't you read the NCAA talking points each morning upon rising? Next thing you know, the kid from the popeye's meme will be getting money at a D2 school. Can't have that.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:24 am My wife and I were watching some show on one of the streaming services and her Vuori ad came on multiple times. I had no idea who she was, but she thought their joggers were the GREATEST PIECE OF CLOTHING SHE'S EVER WORN.

I was wondering who that was....he ads were all over the Gonzaga-BYU game last night.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:23 amNext thing you know, the kid from the popeye's meme will be getting money at a D2 school. Can't have that.
Just learned this week that kid is from right near where I live now.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:30 am
A_B wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:23 amNext thing you know, the kid from the popeye's meme will be getting money at a D2 school. Can't have that.
North Orange's finest!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:32 am
North Orange's finest!
Please tell me you know there's no North Orange and you were just busting ball. Orange, East Orange, West Orange, and South Orange.
Last edited by L-Jam3 on Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:34 am
North Orange's finest!
Please tell me you know there's no North Orange and you were just busting ball. Orange, East Orange, West Orange, and South Orange.
Someone else made the North Orange joke a while back. I'm just a parrot.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Had to be me. I'm never writing a book, but if I did, that would be the setting. Everyone who lives around here would go hog wild.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:34 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:34 am
North Orange's finest!
Someone else made the North Orange joke a while back. I'm just a parrot.
I thought as much. I'm disappointed I couldn't meet up with you when you made it to my old stomping grounds.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

I had to come back here and find this - I saw it when you posted it the other day and filed it away for that night.

Fking crushed me, and sobered me (not...literally).

And in a direct correlation I booked a flight in 2 weeks to "merely" spend about 6 hours with my college roommates and some of the best friends I could have; one of whom is moving to Prague a few days later to [literally] become the US Ambassador to the Czech Republic.

It's insane and awesome and right - how many more "tickets" do I have to hang out with these guys I lived with for 4 years and talk with all the time but rarely see? One of them camethisclose to dying in February in a horrible accident that kept him in hospital in FLORIDA of all fucking places for 3 months with a catastrophic head injury (that fucker is ok now - miraculously if you believe in that shit - (but for real he should be a goner)). Life has been not so fun of late so fucking take it by the balls when you can is something I think I needed to absorb.

This is me rambling and saying *thanks* for this, mister d. Kind of a game-changer in my head.

I don't post much bc meh but I digest as much as I can and I needed this one.
mister d wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:49 pm This is more jarring if you stop at 10 because it wears you out as it goes on but “enjoy” …

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Like 30 years ago, I got kicked out of a karaoke bar in Providence...not just off the stage but out of the bar. Mind you, this is a real bar at night where you need 21 ID just to get in.

My crime was that during Rocky Raccoon, instead of singing "I'm gonna get that boy", I sang "I'm gonna fuck that boy up." And I was honestly like, "Yeah...I probably shouldn't have done that."

Make of that what you will.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:27 pm Like 30 years ago, I got kicked out of a karaoke bar in Providence...not just off the stage but out of the bar. Mind you, this is a real bar at night where you need 21 ID just to get in.

My crime was that during Rocky Raccoon, instead of singing "I'm gonna get that boy", I sang "I'm gonna fuck that boy up." And I was honestly like, "Yeah...I probably shouldn't have done that."

That seems really harsh. Is "no substitutions" a house rule for karaoke?

My worst karaoke event was about 20 years ago, at a bar that used to be in my neighborhood but has closed since (we were not regulars despite the proximity). We had gone out to dinner with friends for the holidays, and stopped in on the way back to our house. The stage was in the middle of the actual bar (serving) area. I signed up to sing "O Holy Night" and in the spirit of the mid-2000s did it Eric Cartmen-style. I personally think I killed it for the first verse but they wouldn't stop the song for me after that and for some reason I refused to leave the stage while the song was playing, so I just sort of stood there for the rest of the song, staring at the audience and regretting my choices. Did not get kicked out, but I don't think we stuck around too long after that.

(that bar closed and became a more upscale restaurant/bar, and that place eventually closed and now it's a florist)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:27 pm Like 30 years ago, I got kicked out of a karaoke bar in Providence...not just off the stage but out of the bar. Mind you, this is a real bar at night where you need 21 ID just to get in.

Well that's entirely too many forms of ID.

I never did karoke but I did sing int he amateur night at the local honky tonk a few times. Came in second with my Piano Man rendition. Either people genuinely liked it or I was being made fun of severely. Could go either way.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I think that minor changes are allowed (switching genders to make a song work better, Bowdlerizing questionable lyrics) as long as you're not doing something egregious. I did "House of the Rising Sun" on karaoke once, switching some verses to verses of "Amazing Grace", which I remember being fairly well-received.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:19 am

That seems really harsh. Is "no substitutions" a house rule for karaoke?

My worst karaoke event was about 20 years ago, at a bar that used to be in my neighborhood but has closed since (we were not regulars despite the proximity). We had gone out to dinner with friends for the holidays, and stopped in on the way back to our house. The stage was in the middle of the actual bar (serving) area. I signed up to sing "O Holy Night" and in the spirit of the mid-2000s did it Eric Cartmen-style. I personally think I killed it for the first verse but they wouldn't stop the song for me after that and for some reason I refused to leave the stage while the song was playing, so I just sort of stood there for the rest of the song, staring at the audience and regretting my choices. Did not get kicked out, but I don't think we stuck around too long after that.

(that bar closed and became a more upscale restaurant/bar, and that place eventually closed and now it's a florist)
[Morgan Freeman narration] Sure, he felt awkward, but he eventually forgot what had happened and got some sleep that night. However, the bar never really recovered from that moment. New ownership tried to change the establishment’s fortunes with a huge cash infusion, but the cloud remained.

It’s a florist now, specializing in flowers that do not require much sunlight.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That’s good. Morgan Freeman should narrate everything.

Personally, I have zero musical talent, and a particularly bad singing voice that is never on key anyway. It’s a great disappointment to me (and anyone else in earshot.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

In college there was a bar that tried to bridge the gap between shitty college bar and nightclub. In reality it was neither, but it required a semi-decent fake ID or good chalk job, at least half the patrons were 21+ and girls would get all dolled up to go there. On Friday's we would hit a super shitty bar catering to Freshmen that had a happy hour with $5 all you can drink well drinks from 5:00-8:00. We would get absolutely hammered. One night we went to the club-ish place after, they had karaoke night on Fridays at 8:00, before it filled up and turned to club mode. My roommate was blackout drunk by that point. There was a very pretty girl in a red dress singing a song with her friend. My friend runs on stage, rips the microphone from them, shoves the friend out of the way, and starts crooning "Lady in Red," screaming over whatever song was playing at the time. The girls fought for the microphone and eventually walked away pissed. My friend was hurt and angry that she wasn't moved by his crooning, so he starts getting belligerent on the mic screaming, "what the fuck, I did this for you! And you walk away!" Then he pulled his usual blackout drunk indignant move and dropped his pants while screaming at her and gesturing aggressively. Like the good friends we were, we left him up there and watched the show. A bouncer eventually went to take the mic from him and made him put his pants back on, but they didn't kick us out.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That's sexual assault these days, yeah?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

These stories are hilarious. And a stark reminder as to why I never really liked drinking around white people.

Not a karaoke bar story, but a dueling pianos one...my wife and I and a couple of our friends went to one in ABQ and the piano player started playing Sweet Caroline. However, at the SO GOOD SO GOOD SO GOOD part, our buddy out of nowhere goes YOU BITCH YOU SLUT YOU WHORE.

Everyone in there, including the piano player, busts out laughing for a good beat. He then turns to our table and was like "I've been playing that song a long time and I've never heard that call out. That was good."

So they start the song from the top and everyone joins in. That was a fun night.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I've only been to one of those places a few times, but every time "Lucille" is played and that's what everyone yells after "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille".
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:56 amA bouncer eventually went to take the mic from him and made him put his pants back on, but they didn't kick us out.
I've been kicked out three times, all for less than taking off my pants, in descending order of offense and I think from least to most recent (none since like 2006):
1. Wilmington, DE: At bar we went to all the time, the service was slow and it was really late so we grabbed two beers and left money. A bouncer who didn't know us kicked us out for the night. It was deserved.
2. Annapolis, MD: Long day. Fell asleep.
3. Dewey Beach, DE: Wasn't allowed in, so technically not kicked out, because the bouncer saw me throwing up. Except I didn't throw up. I'd had the hiccups for like a half hour and someone tried to sneak up from behind and scare them out of me while we were walking towards the door. It did scare me and I bailed out, I think out of the guy's view, and he thought it was for a quick puke on a building.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Giff wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:36 am I've only been to one of those places a few times, but every time "Lucille" is played and that's what everyone yells after "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille".
Yeah, but I feel like the swap You Slut and You Whore.

=-=-=-=-=

I've never done karaoke, but one of my best buds was a fairly talented singer and he absolutely brought down the house at a bar in Key West. He did a killer Wanted, Dead or Alive in a very crowded joint (Rick's... I think?). He started the song seated on a bar stool (he brought it up to the stage--he knew what he was doing) and had the crowd right there with him...

And at the point where it rolls into "I walk these streets..." He gets up off the stool and donkey kicks the damn thing off the back of the stage. Crowd goes absolutely nuts. If you've been on Duvall Street, you know that it's a bit like Bourbon St, with big windows open to the masses. I turn around and it's not just the bar, but a crowd of people 10 deep at the windows and they're cheering.

One of the funniest/best things I've seen in person. He didn't buy another drink for the next hour or so.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:59 am
Giff wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:36 am I've only been to one of those places a few times, but every time "Lucille" is played and that's what everyone yells after "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille".

=-=-=-=-=

I've never done karaoke, but one of my best buds was a fairly talented singer and he absolutely brought down the house at a bar in Key West. He did a killer Wanted, Dead or Alive in a very crowded joint (Rick's... I think?). He started the song seated on a bar stool (he brought it up to the stage--he knew what he was doing) and had the crowd right there with him...

And at the point where it rolls into "I walk these streets..." He gets up off the stool and donkey kicks the damn thing off the back of the stage. Crowd goes absolutely nuts. If you've been on Duvall Street, you know that it's a bit like Bourbon St, with big windows open to the masses. I turn around and it's not just the bar, but a crowd of people 10 deep at the windows and they're cheering.

One of the funniest/best things I've seen in person. He didn't buy another drink for the next hour or so.
Well what were people gonna do? Mans was packing a loaded six string for god's sake!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

You have to do one of three things to succeed at karaoke:

1. Be good.
2. Pick a song everyone likes.
3. Be entertaining.

It's not even hard.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I've always thought Hold the Line by Toto would be a killer karaoke song.

Anything with a really good hook that the crowd can dig into seems like a winner.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Among the wildest times at concerts I’ve been to was when “Lucille” was sung by Country Dick Montana and the Beat Farmers. In addition to the above mentioned, his lyrics also included lines like “…four ugly children and a crotch that won’t heal…🎶
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:05 am Apparently there's a quasi-Allison Stokke situation brewing with some hot LSU gymnast.
The key difference is that this girl sought out and works for her fame. Allison got perved on without her consent or maybe even knowledge (at first). Also, this is this girl's (lucrative) job.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:23 am

No no no. Remember, NIL is going to make it impossible for the non revenue athletes to get in the game and make anything. Don't you read the NCAA talking points each morning upon rising? Next thing you know, the kid from the popeye's meme will be getting money at a D2 school. Can't have that.
Approximately 1% of her revenue is because she's an athlete at LSU.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sure, but at least she gets to make some dough without losing her ability to compete athletically. It was an either/or choice before NIL.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:00 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:23 am

Approximately 1% of her revenue is because she's an athlete at LSU.
To be fair I was making a throwaway joke. I certainly didn't audit the P&L! I don't care how she makes the money, good for her.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Are people setting fires in Walmarts in other places? Both the walmarts closest to me are closed due to makeshift arson attempts in the clothes sections.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:06 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:59 am

=-=-=-=-=

Well what were people gonna do? Mans was packing a loaded six string for god's sake!
He's seen a million faces, and he's rocked 'em all...

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I forgot about my karaoke story last night but I'm glad I posted it because holy shit all of your stories are hilarious and scarily relatable.

My current bring down the house song is Regulate. I do both of them. I let someone be Nate Dogg once and it was a complete disaster. Never again.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:58 pm
The key difference is that this girl sought out and works for her fame. Allison got perved on without her consent or maybe even knowledge (at first). Also, this is this girl's (lucrative) job.
Yeah, I agree. The gymnast trades on and profits from her attractiveness. So she can't complain *too* loudly when she attracts guys.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Imagine a universe where you can nail Focus’ “Hocus Pocus.” Like, you can yodel it even better than their lead singer.

You travel with you flute just in case you wind up at a karaoke bar, too.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:16 am That's sexual assault these days, yeah?
That was sexual assault back then.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt