Swamp Travel Guide

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by mister d »

Way back when I traveled a lot for work, my strategy was always to book towards the back of the plane so I could throw my bag overhead somewhere available in front of me on the walk to the back. Also, closer to the bathroom.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

yeah, i find your bag above my seat and your bag is gone man.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

As Lonely Island f./ T-Pain once said, "I'll be on a boat starting Monday"
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

elflaco2 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:10 am yeah, i find your bag above my seat and your bag is gone man.
Well then I guess a bitch like me is lucky we were never together on a plane.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:07 am Way back when I traveled a lot for work, my strategy was always to book towards the back of the plane so I could throw my bag overhead somewhere available in front of me on the walk to the back. Also, closer to the bathroom.
Definitely a D move.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, why not just put it above where you're sitting? I don't get that move. So you don't have to carry it an extra 12 yards?

C'mon man. Be better.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm referring to flights where 75% are checking bags and there's no guarantee there will be space. Take open space someone hasn't used already on the way back versus having to walk past your seat hoping to find something.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:33 am I'm referring to flights where 75% are checking bags and there's no guarantee there will be space. Take open space someone hasn't used already on the way back versus having to walk past your seat hoping to find something.
Oh, we understood.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Someone parked in my space, the one right in front of my house!"
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:07 am Way back when I traveled a lot for work, my strategy was always to book towards the back of the plane so I could throw my bag overhead somewhere available in front of me on the walk to the back. Also, closer to the bathroom.
As a regular flyer I actually have no problem with this. Airline policies have forced these problems… If you want to make sure you get a bag in the space it above you then buy or figure a way onto the plane earlier.

I assume Mr D looked ahead towards the row he was in and tried to put it up close to that…not putting it up above row 7 when sitting in row 30.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:17 am
elflaco2 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:10 am yeah, i find your bag above my seat and your bag is gone man.
Well then I guess a bitch like me is lucky we were never together on a plane.
being i usually seat between 7 and 20 (unless upgraded) and until yesterday have been boarding group 1, if we had, i would have waved as you went to the back past my seat.
;)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:30 pm
As a regular flyer I actually have no problem with this. Airline policies have forced these problems… If you want to make sure you get a bag in the space it above you then buy or figure a way onto the plane earlier.

I assume Mr D looked ahead towards the row he was in and tried to put it up close to that…not putting it up above row 7 when sitting in row 30.
I agree. I always try to look to my row, and if there appears to be overhead room, I'll put it there. But, if it looks already full, then I'm looking for the open spot before my row.

And, Flaco, I feel your pain. I was Diamond on Delta for a couple years, Platinum for several more, and usually got the free upgrade to First/Business class. But, when that ended, it felt more painful to sit in coach than it would have been if I had never gotten used to upgrades.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:30 pmI assume Mr D looked ahead towards the row he was in and tried to put it up close to that…not putting it up above row 7 when sitting in row 30.
This might be a little too generous ... I was almost always JetBlue and always towards the back so by the time I boarded, it was 3/4 full. Any open space I passed was likely space that hadn't been used by the people already sitting there. All I was doing was guaranteeing I wouldn't be one of the people trying to walk back against traffic, left holding their luggage to be checked or trying to move other people's shit around.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:49 pm All I was doing was guaranteeing I wouldn't be one of the people trying to walk back against traffic, left holding their luggage to be checked or trying to move other people's shit around.
Ah, yes. The passenger's walk of shame and desperation.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

If I had to go back to get my carryon, I would wait until everyone was off the plane. Including staff. I would hunker like the beta male I am to avoid inconveniencing anyone. I might just fly wherever the plane was leaving to next.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's what I was avoiding! I don't cross traffic, I simply put it up however many rows in front of me and left it there until I was getting off the plane to enjoy more time in Cleveland!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

But if you're in the back of the plane, how much farther are you walking back?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And this is where I become the unwritten rules guy: Walking from back to front during boarding should be an absolute non-starter.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Loading the plane from back to front is absolutely the way it should be done.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:16 pm Loading the plane from back to front is absolutely the way it should be done.
But then the people sitting in the front of the plane would get screwed by the Mr. D’s of the world.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:29 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:16 pm Loading the plane from back to front is absolutely the way it should be done.
But then the people sitting in the front of the plane would get screwed by the Mr. D’s of the world.
I would hope in this complete makeover of how they board planes, they would include instructions to only use the carry-on space above their seats.

I've only flown first class once and I still don't think I'd want to be on the plane first if I had the chance again. I may be in the minority (I also never carry on anything I can't leave at my feet), but I'd prefer to stay in terminal as long as possible and it's always weird on the aisle seat watching everyone walk past you.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:29 pm
But they wouldn’t because I’d be on first and using my own area. It’s precisely because I’m boarding late and everyone has taken the overhead in the back that I had to find gaps up front.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You see that is not what I thought you were saying. I thought you were birding early but tossing your bag in up front and then going to seat.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, that's what I've seen and it's annoying. Not what I thought Dela was saying initially.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh yeah, no. I was late to board on perpetually full business travel flights that always ran out of overhead room. That empty spot I was taking in a row 10 ahead was going to go to someone in the back and I just made sure it was me.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Hey if you come to the airport in Providence today I think they’re trying to get in the Guinness Book for most coughs in a day

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:46 am Hey if you come to the airport in Providence today I think they’re trying to get in the Guinness Book for most coughs in a day
Sounds like a Petri dish. Go, Covid!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

You know, I was watching "Everybody Loves Raymond" the other day on Peacock, and the episode where he's at Laguardia in the mens room (after a long flight) - he turns around after just finishing washing his hands and this pretty large man just bellows two large sneezes into his face. The look on his face sold the moment.

Anyway, carry on
Noli Timere Messorem
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

SpaceX from the damn Deck 7 veranda

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

crowdsourcing opinions here

found out that LA's cousin is getting proposed to next month and we're invited to the proposal party. it's her only cousin on that side of the family so she obviously wants to go. but here's the catch. instead of it being 3.5 hours away by car where they live and where their families live, it's in NYC.

I understand why we're invited and appreciate the thought, but there are a lot of things I can't grasp including the imposing the possible financial stress/expense for those invited for something like this. same state easy drive, cheap lodging is one thing. a $1500 weekend halfway across the country for something like this is another. am I alone in that thought?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:39 am crowdsourcing opinions here

found out that LA's cousin is getting proposed to next month and we're invited to the proposal party. it's her only cousin on that side of the family so she obviously wants to go. but here's the catch. instead of it being 3.5 hours away by car where they live and where their families live, it's in NYC.

I understand why we're invited and appreciate the thought, but there are a lot of things I can't grasp including the imposing the possible financial stress/expense for those invited for something like this. same state easy drive, cheap lodging is one thing. a $1500 weekend halfway across the country for something like this is another. am I alone in that thought?
I’m with you. Making that kind of commitment for a wedding is one thing, but for a proposal party? That’s rather presumptuous.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Go have fun?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That's a lot. No matter how close they are or how well-intentioned the invite is, sabo nailed it with "presumptuous".
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:39 am crowdsourcing opinions here

A proposal party? Is this a thing now?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

they are a thing. a lot of guys now propose and then have the families waiting at a restaurant/space for a gathering immediately afterwards (or they do it at the party itself)

if this was happening in their city then I have no issue with it whatsoever. I have no issue with the concept itself when it's manageable for those invited. what I have an issue with is planning this type of proposal in a city where no family lives. if you want to get engaged in NYC because you both love it, then that's totally great. do your thing. but wanting your friends and family there when you do it is (as sabo very aptly described it) very presumptuous and feels very financially tone deaf
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Is there an expectation that you're there or just an open invite? Did they invite you with one month lead time before the trip? That's a short turnaround.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just call her cousin and say while you'd love to be in NYC with her and the rest of the family when _______ proposes, you can't swing it with work/money/desire.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:27 am Is there an expectation that you're there or just an open invite? Did they invite you with one month lead time before the trip? That's a short turnaround.
on the first question, I think it's more the latter than the former but family dynamics making it seem like more the former? on question 2 ... yes. less than a month. literally found out yesterday afternoon
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:30 am
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:27 am Is there an expectation that you're there or just an open invite? Did they invite you with one month lead time before the trip? That's a short turnaround.
on the first question, I think it's more the latter than the former but family dynamics making it seem like more the former? on question 2 ... yes. less than a month. literally found out yesterday afternoon
Yeah, even an open invite from the inviter can be taken as an expectation or just fomo by the invitee. Dealing with family dynamics and trip planning sucks.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the couple are younger than you guys too.