2023 NBA Playoffs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: 2023 NBA Playoffs

Post by brian »

Not trying to jinx things but the idea of an NBA and NHL team winning their first-ever titles on back to back nights would be pretty cool.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I mean, honestly as a “neutral” fan it is almost impossible to hate a franchise who hasn’t won anything regardless of petty rivalries. I was legit happy VGK lost to a team that hadn’t won a Cup before in 2018 and even if they blow this I’ll be happy it’s another first-timer as opposed to even, say, Carolina.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:23 pm I'm not an NBA fan.

I have a very tenuous Denver connection.

Jokic is making me a fan. Single handedly.
I’ve been all in on the Nuggets since I moved here. This team has been so much fun for the past 4-5 years… only thing stopping them the prior three seasons was injuries. Despite all of the national chatter, this team was loaded from the beginning of the season and, despite their slow finish, they just plain dominated.

I was downtown doing some game, watch barhopping and went to the main gathering pointe at 20th and Blake…seemed like a larger crowd than what the avalanche drew last year.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

brian wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:20 pm I mean, honestly as a “neutral” fan it is almost impossible to hate a franchise who hasn’t won anything regardless of petty rivalries. I was legit happy VGK lost to a team that hadn’t won a Cup before in 2018 and even if they blow this I’ll be happy it’s another first-timer as opposed to even, say, Carolina.
There's a line some teams cross for me where it just gets pathetic and I love seeing the rock roll right back down over their faces. Can't think of any examples right now. Anyway the Nuggets aren't one of them, so yay.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

They're going to be a top title contender for as long as they keep the Joker and Murray together. That's really a hell of a two-man game.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I like the way they play too. Kinda funny that despite all the three chucking it was two relative old school teams in the finals
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:08 am They're going to be a top title contender for as long as they keep the Joker and Murray together. That's really a hell of a two-man game.
They are but the key has been the supporting cast. Aaron Gordon played great D in the last two series…Bruce Brown was incredible throughout the entire playoffs. MPJ couldn’t hit a 3 to save his life in the finals so he changed his game up to attack the basket more. Everyone will be back with the exception of Bruce Brown (he has a player option for next season so I’m guessing he opts out and tries to cash in elsewhere).

I couldn’t believe DeAndre Jordan got minutes last night and now has a title.
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm glad they won and all that, but they seemed incredibly unexcited to win the title, right?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

For some reason my son was loosely following the NBA playoffs this year. We got back to the hotel during Game 6 of the Heat - Celtics game and my son put it on. We saw the last 5 minutes, and that was a hell of an ending. He recorded Game 7 and I watched with him. Just horrific to watch. Tons of missed shots and incredibly boring. Anyways, we watched last night. My son thought I'd be excited because the Nuggets actually play with a center (I explained that in my day, most teams ran through their centers). Jokic looks like a center, but it was bizarre watching him carry the ball up the court and primarily stay outside the 3 point line. He actually played more like a traditional guard. I really like the weird arm angles he throws passes out when he draws the defense.

I'd say the last NBA game I watched was the 1999 Finals. I used to hear complaints that the NBA was all about giving the ball to your star, and they would isolate 1 on 1 with 8 guys standing around watching. The game looks a lot different than what I followed in the 80s and 90s, but I did like all the ball movement from the Heat, Celts and Nuggets. Did the game evolve away from the 1 on 1 isolation, or was it just the teams I watched? Looking forward to having a grandchild ask me to watch another game in 20 years and see what the league looks like.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:39 am I'm glad they won and all that, but they seemed incredibly unexcited to win the title, right?
But how does that affect Lebron's legacy? /sarcasm

Probably one of those things where when they see their leader (Jokic) downplay all of the hoopla, they follow along.

On some level it's kinda refreshing because you know if the opposite was true it would be nothing but HIMMY and HEAT CULTURE nonsense to the point of nausea.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:40 amI'd say the last NBA game I watched was the 1999 Finals. I used to hear complaints that the NBA was all about giving the ball to your star, and they would isolate 1 on 1 with 8 guys standing around watching. The game looks a lot different than what I followed in the 80s and 90s, but I did like all the ball movement from the Heat, Celts and Nuggets. Did the game evolve away from the 1 on 1 isolation, or was it just the teams I watched? Looking forward to having a grandchild ask me to watch another game in 20 years and see what the league looks like.
Yes. The shift toward three-point shooting has brought offensive players farther from the basket, bringing defenders with them. Spreading out the players over a larger space creates longer distance between players, making for longer passes. When a team tries to double-team on defense, it is harder to recover and keep pace with the ball as it gets whipped around all that space. That space also opens up the interior, making room for driving/cutting to the basket instead of the mass of humanity in/around the paint in the late 1990's.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:39 am I'm glad they won and all that, but they seemed incredibly unexcited to win the title, right?
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

But this is fucking hilarious. (Swipe for the video)

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:57 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:40 amI'd say the last NBA game I watched was the 1999 Finals. I used to hear complaints that the NBA was all about giving the ball to your star, and they would isolate 1 on 1 with 8 guys standing around watching. The game looks a lot different than what I followed in the 80s and 90s, but I did like all the ball movement from the Heat, Celts and Nuggets. Did the game evolve away from the 1 on 1 isolation, or was it just the teams I watched? Looking forward to having a grandchild ask me to watch another game in 20 years and see what the league looks like.
Yes. The shift toward three-point shooting has brought offensive players farther from the basket, bringing defenders with them. Spreading out the players over a larger space creates longer distance between players, making for longer passes. When a team tries to double-team on defense, it is harder to recover and keep pace with the ball as it gets whipped around all that space. That space also opens up the interior, making room for driving/cutting to the basket instead of the mass of humanity in/around the paint in the late 1990's.
I wouldn't say it's been as long as Syb states, but I had definitely tuned the NBA out for the very reason he states. To me, the clear out/1v1 style was unwatchable.

And as I stated last night, just a loose affiliation with the city AND the fact that the games I was tuning into were just more entertaining to watch had me a lot more into the NBA than in probably a decade.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Quite a week to be a Serb!
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’m not much of an NBA fan, and I haven’t lived in Colorado for decades, but hell yeah I hopped on the bandwagon! Yay for my (at the moment) team!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I can see that but it was because they expected to.

I understand many complaints about the modern NBA game and it is very much 1:1/launch a three focused… the heat proved that last night with their last shot attempt. I often say “you call a time out just to draw that up?”…reality is the college game is just as bad. Coaches getting paid millions just to say everyone clear out and let our best player try and draw a foul.

However, if you watch the Nuggets, they do run an offense and often execute plays that you can see developing. That’s one of the reasons why I said this team is a lot of fun. I will admit last nights game was pretty ugly, but they were able to grind it out.
What am I, 12?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Love Jokic. Glad they won. Also, again, love Jokic-

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This may have been posted already, but I'm going to do it again because it makes me laugh.

It really goes to show you how ridiculous advertising truly is in this country.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:53 pm Does Denver end it tonight? I think so.

Also, assuming Denver wins it all, Stan Kroenke gets another ring. What other owner would have as diverse a collection as him?
The funniest thing about this PFTCommenter tweet is that a lot of the reply comments take him at his word, here.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:48 am Love Jokic. Glad they won. Also, again, love Jokic-
I greatly enjoyed every clip of him looking bored in the postgame celebration, his desire to go home, his annoyance at having to stick around for the parade, all of it.

Dude is probably just tired and wants to kick back, which is a completely reasonable reaction after an entire sports season of over 100 games.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:50 am This may have been posted already, but I'm going to do it again because it makes me laugh.

It really goes to show you how ridiculous advertising truly is in this country.

I get it... The world needed to know of the glory of the Queserito!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:48 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:48 am Love Jokic. Glad they won. Also, again, love Jokic-
I greatly enjoyed every clip of him looking bored in the postgame celebration, his desire to go home, his annoyance at having to stick around for the parade, all of it.

Dude is probably just tired and wants to kick back, which is a completely reasonable reaction after an entire sports season of over 100 games.
It was all so...human. And goddamn relateble.

Also, this rules so hard too -

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Well that's gonna be in every Swampcrash thread
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »