Swamp Quarantine Movie Night - Over The Top (1987), Thursday, 4/10 9 PM ET

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Swamp Quarantine Movie Night - Over The Top (1987), Thursday, 4/10 9 PM ET

Post by brian »

That may have sounded harsher than I intended but the truth is I don’t care what goes on in other trucks as long as it’s legal and consensual. That said I DO enjoy watching new drivers try to park. That’s 100 times more interesting and entertaining to me.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I remember an old joke - What do you get when a JB Hunt driver vacates his parking spot?
Three new parking spots!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Assuming that even accounting for the difference in um class(?) that years in Vegas honed that sense?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:33 pm Assuming that even accounting for the difference in um class(?) that years in Vegas honed that sense?
Maybe. The God’s honest truth is this job is so hard that when I’m done doing it I’m focused on trying to relax not caring what other people are doing.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

When I managed a software team I used to joke with them that no matter what the customer thinks that nothing we can do - our software or support - we can’t hurt anyone. “This isn’t fuckin’ NASA” I would say, usually to a laugh

But now I can kill people, including myself, if I’m not careful.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Well, waiting for my stupid truck to be fixed so I have some time to answer these.
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:22 pm Brian:

A bunch of questions have come to mind about the logistics and practicalities of your new job …

1. Do you have to pay for your own fuel, or does Knight cover that? Do you or Knight have special deals with certain companies?

The company provides a fuel card so they pay it. They pre-purchase millions of gallons at the beginning of the year so they steer us towards certain truck stops to fuel there - typically Love’s or Pilot Flying J. Since those two have the best rewards programs and free showers for fueling it works out well.

I’ve noticed that Love’s is consistently 40 cents a gallon higher than Maverik for diesel – how do they make that work? Do they give discounted prices for certain trucking companies or drivers?

2. What kind of gas mileage does your truck get?

It varies based on the weight of the load and topography, but generally about 7-7.5mpg. We get a .01 bonus per mile each month if we hit 7.2.

3. On these 80mph freeways out here, how fast do you tend to go? Does the company impose limits on driver speed, through governor or monitoring? Do you consider gas mileage in deciding how fast to drive?

Knight’s trucks are limited to 63 on the pedal and 65 on cruise. I don’t worry about fuel and try to go as fast as I safely can.

4. How does the gearing work on your truck?

It’s a 12-speed automatic but I trained with a manual so my CDL allows me to drive either.

5. Do you have a backup camera? Do other semis?

Some do I think but we don’t. I think it’s pretty expensive because they’d have to be attached to the trailers which we’re swapping all the time.

6. Would you ever make deliveries to an individual retail store? I’m asking because last week when we were leaving Zion, we passed two Knight trucks heading the other way. As far as I know, trucks going that way have to turn around in Springdale. But it seems that there’s only small stores there.

So far I’ve delivered to a Lowe’s, Home Depot, four Costcos and two flooring stores. So it’s possible they were doing a store delivery. We also have dedicated routes for Dollar General I think.

7. Do you have a reliable source that you can consult to see where rest stops are? What is it?

I pay $99 a year for an app called Trucker Path. Its main feature is a truck route friendly GPS but shows truck stops and will estimate parking space availability based on what drivers report and historical trends. It’s pretty invaluable.

8. Is there any place with fewer rest stops than Utah?

So far the worse place by far is central California between Bakersfield and Sacramento. There’s almost no parking in that stretch. Utah (at least the I-15 corridor I usually drive) isn’t that bad.

If you’re around town and want to take a break for a meal, it’s on me. Let me know.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not allowed to discuss our loads but my next pickup is in suburban Denver and would make a certain fictional “bandit” proud.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:52 am Not allowed to discuss our loads but my next pickup is in suburban Denver and would make a certain fictional “bandit” proud.
In the general vicinity of Golden?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brian can play the Jerry Reed character in the re-make. Not sure which Swamper is the best Bandit.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:21 pm Brian can play the Jerry Reed character in the re-make. Not sure which Swamper is the best Bandit.
Gonna try to shut down in Grand Junction tonight if I can ever get my signed bills of lading here in Denver so I can pick up this load. Albertsons/Safeway is the worst. (Actually Amazon is the worst but Albertsons is horrible.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:21 pm Brian can play the Jerry Reed character in the re-make. Not sure which Swamper is the best Bandit.
I mean I've done several solo road trips from Texas to California without a single ticket, so I'll volunteer.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Dammit, you snooze you lose. I was gonna put up my multiple road trips from MD-CO and back without a ticket for my resume.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:29 pm
Gonna try to shut down in Grand Junction tonight if I can ever get my signed bills of lading here in Denver so I can pick up this load. Albertsons/Safeway is the worst. (Actually Amazon is the worst but Albertsons is horrible.)
There's a Fresh Market distribution center in the SLC area - driving past it last weekend I saw probably two dozen semis waiting on a side road. They looked to be from various trucking companies. Were those drivers waiting to pick up loads?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:51 pm
There's a Fresh Market distribution center in the SLC area - driving past it last weekend I saw probably two dozen semis waiting on a side road. They looked to be from various trucking companies. Were those drivers waiting to pick up loads?
Most likely. Not sure how they distribute to their stores but could have been mostly trucks delivering to the DC. We make a lot of deliveries to DCs like Wal-Mart, Target etc from big companies like P&G but the deliveries to the stores are usually from their internal fleet. Though we do deliver to warehouse stores like Sam’s for some reason. For example my delivery to the Safeway DC today was 20 tons of Maruchan ramen from their factory in Irvine. But the delivery of that (broken down into much smaller chunks of course) is done by Safeway/Albertsons trucks.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don’t believe a single 18 wheeler could transport more than like 30 pounds of dried maruchan.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:37 pm I don’t believe a single 18 wheeler could transport more than like 30 pounds of dried maruchan.
The pallets were probably a ton of it but I just checked and it was 15 tons, my math was off.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:37 pm I don’t believe a single 18 wheeler could transport more than like 30 pounds of dried maruchan.
Right? It’d take one of those endless coal trains.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:12 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:51 pm
Most likely. Not sure how they distribute to their stores but could have been mostly trucks delivering to the DC. We make a lot of deliveries to DCs like Wal-Mart, Target etc from big companies like P&G but the deliveries to the stores are usually from their internal fleet. Though we do deliver to warehouse stores like Sam’s for some reason. For example my delivery to the Safeway DC today was 20 tons of Maruchan ramen from their factory in Irvine. But the delivery of that (broken down into much smaller chunks of course) is done by Safeway/Albertsons trucks.
Makes sense. Thanks.

Are you going to be in the neighborhood any time soon? I need to move a large table and don’t want to rent a U Haul.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:52 am Not allowed to discuss our loads but my next pickup is in suburban Denver and would make a certain fictional “bandit” proud.
I'm gonna punch your momma in the mouth
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just read the manifest and my load is actually mostly Keystone and Keystone Light but don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I didn’t realize they still made Keystone
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

brian wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:41 pm …my load is actually mostly Keystone and Keystone Light…
Maybe try drinking something else? I hear pineapple juice is good for that sort of thing…
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:41 pm
brian wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:41 pm …my load is actually mostly Keystone and Keystone Light…
Maybe try drinking something else? I hear pineapple juice is good for that sort of thing…
Whoa! GK coming in off the top rope!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:41 pm
Lol