Lacrosse The Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Lacrosse The Thread

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, mostly true, but... California has a ton of lax as does Colorado. But, yeah, the real hotbeds are in Long Island, Maryland and Ontario.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, it's not everywhere yet, but it's still pretty popular. There are 140 varsity teams in North Carolina, for example. It looks like 24 states have official state championships.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

2 of the best players in the country are from Portland Oregon this year.

This was from a few years ago but you are seeing this type of change.
https://lacrossereference.com/2017/02/1 ... 1-players/

Also look at D3 list of schools...it continues to grow
https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-lacross ... 0and%20SAC.

MCLA (virtual varsity) is having their championship right now. They are competitive to mid table D3 teams in good conferences (For example my very good D3 school beat Va Tech and Liberty pretty handedly but not as embarrassingly as some of their regular season wins against conference opponents)
D1
BYU v. Michigan St
Texas v. Simon Fraser (Canadian team from Vancouver)
Chapman v. Utah Valley
LIberty v. Northeastern
Banana Slugs v. Colorado
TN v. San Diego St.
VA Tech v. Arizona State
GA Tech v. Cal

D2
Bridgewater State v. Air Force
St. Thomas v. Missouri State
Grand Valley St v. Montana
Montana St. V. Tulane
Cal State SanMarco v. Kennesaw St.
UNC Charlotte v. Northwest Nazarene
Rhode Island v. Costal Carolina
Florida Atlantic v. UC SD
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It's a weird sport, in terms of growing it at the youth level.

Soccer "spread" like wildfire in the 70s and 80s for a bunch of reasons. First off, it was already deeply embedded in a ton of immigrant communities. That's why fairly random cities like St. Louis was a "hot bed" pretty early on. It's also not, on the face of it, an expensive sport to stand up*. You can get the fields and goals and then the player just needs cleats (ideally), shin guards and a ball (again, ideally.)

Lacrosse and Hockey have traditionally been hyper-regional and, probably more importantly in terms of growth, they are both WAY more expensive. Just the equipment in hockey is hella expensive. Less so in lacrosse, but it's still an issue. And then, with hockey, the rink is an issue for many communities that might want to start a new league.

* - I'm not talking about current day youth soccer. I'm talking about, literally, starting up leagues and what it used to cost to join a team.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

No upsets in the first round so far. JHU did not look good against Lehigh. But Towson up 9-8 with Cuse at half time.

The D3 tournament has had a few upsets. W&L upset Lynchburg (but W&L beat them in the regular season and did not catch them in the conference tournament because W&L duffed in the semis). W&L gets the #1 ranked Salisbury next Saturday. Bowdoin (upset RPI) plays Middlebury, RIT play Christopher Newport, and Tufts v. St. John Fisher. Tufts and St. John Fisher are in the Salisbury pod. and Christopher Newport (VA Beach) will head up north.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Well cuse ran away in the 3rd. First time in 20 years that all top seeds advanced.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A few interesting stats from the UVA win. Payton Cormier scored 8 goals, breaking the UVA record for goals in an NCAA tourney game. In the process, he also broke the UVA record for goals in a season. And on top of THAT he broke the NCAA record for career goals. It's good to play alongside Connor Shellenberger for four years.

Curiously, Cormier wasn't even drafted in the recent PLL draft. Could you imagine a basketball player at a major program (e.g. Duke or Kansas) breaking Maravich's scoring record and then not getting drafted by the NBA?
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:20 am A few interesting stats from the UVA win. Payton Cormier scored 8 goals, breaking the UVA record for goals in an NCAA tourney game. In the process, he also broke the UVA record for goals in a season. And on top of THAT he broke the NCAA record for career goals. It's good to play alongside Connor Shellenberger for four years.

Curiously, Cormier wasn't even drafted in the recent PLL draft. Could you imagine a basketball player at a major program (e.g. Duke or Kansas) breaking Maravich's scoring record and then not getting drafted by the NBA?
Pro game is different and small rosters makes certain skill sets way more valuable. Long Stick athletes and Midfield Athletes are the most valuable players. If you are a traditional attackmen the open spots are way more competitive.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Just going back to locations
4 of the 14 1st team AAs are from non-traditional hotbeds
* Roswell, GA
* Portland, OR
* Palo Alto
* Park City
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:31 pm
Shirley wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:20 am A few interesting stats from the UVA win. Payton Cormier scored 8 goals, breaking the UVA record for goals in an NCAA tourney game. In the process, he also broke the UVA record for goals in a season. And on top of THAT he broke the NCAA record for career goals. It's good to play alongside Connor Shellenberger for four years.

Pro game is different and small rosters makes certain skill sets way more valuable. Long Stick athletes and Midfield Athletes are the most valuable players. If you are a traditional attackmen the open spots are way more competitive.
As mentioned a few months back, I got to see UVa play Michigan in Charlottesville. Cormier is incredible to watch in person. I don't think I've ever seen a guy who moves as little as he does, but scores at the clip he does. It's wild.

But, yeah, to your point, I can see why that's probably not going to translate at the next level.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Hopkins is in some kind of rut. They got absolutely shut down by MI in the B1G tourney and they really looked lethargic this weekend. I don't see them getting past the Hoos, unless they have a pretty radical shift. Nice that the game is down the road, though.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:36 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:31 pm

As mentioned a few months back, I got to see UVa play Michigan in Charlottesville. Cormier is incredible to watch in person. I don't think I've ever seen a guy who moves as little as he does, but scores at the clip he does. It's wild.

But, yeah, to your point, I can see why that's probably not going to translate at the next level.
You guys certainly could be right. But on the flip side, being truly elite at one skill is often what makes a good pro, more than being well rounded. That's especially nice if that skill is shooting/scoring.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, let me put it this way... I certainly wouldn't take an even up bet that he won't be successful as a pro. He is incredible at what he does.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Did I read correctly that UF is in the LAX final four? That has to be club, and not D1 level, no?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:31 pm Did I read correctly that UF is in the LAX final four? That has to be club, and not D1 level, no?
Women's lacrosse. Still, pretty surprising to me.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:44 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:31 pm Did I read correctly that UF is in the LAX final four? That has to be club, and not D1 level, no?
Women's lacrosse. Still, pretty surprising to me.
The sport is definitely on the rise down here, but I wouldn't have expected that.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The fact that they took down MD is very impressive.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I had to dig a bit to get my head straight, because I know the SEC doesn't have lacrosse. They are playing in the American Athletic Conference, joined by Vandy for just Women's Lacrosse. A 16 seed that took out #6 MD.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Notre Dame and Terps go.tonthe Linc next weekend. 2 more quarters tomorrow.

But in BIG news. W&l came back from an 8-1 deficit to beat undefeated and #1 in the nation all year Salisbury. In OT. Ended a 55 game home win streak. Went up 15-12 at one point and survived a bullshit call at 15-14 with 40 seconds left..that led to the tying goal (all 3 refs.are friends of mine and may have sent them a picture of the bad call before the game was over).
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:46 pm Notre Dame and Terps go.tonthe Linc next weekend. 2 more quarters tomorrow.

But in BIG news. W&l came back from an 8-1 deficit to beat undefeated and #1 in the nation all year Salisbury. In OT. Ended a 55 game home win streak. Went up 15-12 at one point and survived a bullshit call at 15-14 with 40 seconds left..that led to the tying goal (all 3 refs.are friends of mine and may have sent them a picture of the bad call before the game was over).
Oh and the guy who scored the OT winner...from Louisville.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

There are rich kid schools all over the country. Nobody said there weren’t players coming from all over - that’s a straw man. The point was that lacrosse is not a commonly played sport among the masses except on the eastern seaboard.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

If not for lacrosse who would build the practice fields
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Answer travel baseball but they only want to maintain the grass ones