Cord cutting?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by sancarlos »

Bronto, I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. As Shirley noted, you’re paying significantly more for DirecTV than he pays for YouTubeTV, for pretty much the same programming.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I’m pretty sure no one wins when someone is bringing up a three-month-old post about the cost of how we watch shows through our televisions.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm sure this has been the trajectory for well over a couple years because I'm absolutely positive Derek Thompson, writer for The Atlantic and host of the Ringer podcast Plain English has mentioned it several times.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:37 pm Bronto, I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. As Shirley noted, you’re paying significantly more for DirecTV than he pays for YouTubeTV, for pretty much the same programming.
that bundling has always been the ultimate outcome of the streaming revolution (as I was saying in 2021, I should have just only quoted that part)

we're just going to end up back relatively in the same spot we were with cable in the 1980s/1990s. just with an internet connection and not a coaxial cable

ETA: I also don't think it's much of a coincidence that the news of the bundle came out today along with the report that Paramount Plus is likely to have its content sold to another streamer if the proposed Paramount acquisition goes through and it's spun off into multiple companies
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I've been watching Paramount, max and Hulu almost exclusively these days. Suspended youtube tv through the summer.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The only real reason I'm still with YouTubeTV is they carry live sports that I don't want to deal with in a bunch of different bundles.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:19 am The only real reason I'm still with YouTubeTV is they carry live sports that I don't want to deal with in a bunch of different bundles.
Yah, but most of what I watch in the summer is golf and I can get enough through my ESPN+ and antenna. But still, saving $200 total yearly since I will turn it on when I need the SEC network again.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:16 am I've been watching Paramount, max and Hulu almost exclusively these days. Suspended youtube tv through the summer.
I mainly use YouTubeTV for sports. I also watch recorded FX/Hulu shows (Wrexham) on YTTV rather than Hulu, so I can zip through commercials. As far as pay streamers, we watch Apple, Netflix, Prime, Hulu, and Britbox. Never had Paramount, Disney, Peacock or Max.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm itching to put Max back in the mix. Want to watch True Detective and there are some new docs out there that look compelling.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

for those of you who are going back and forth between services, it's worth exploring how many of them you can already get for free through other avenues

we get Max free through our ATT internet (and/or DirecTV), we get the Disney bundle free through our AmEx, and we get Paramount Plus free through Walmart + which we get free through our AmEx
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:18 am for those of you who are going back and forth between services, it's worth exploring how many of them you can already get for free through other avenues

we get Max free through our ATT internet (and/or DirecTV), we get the Disney bundle free through our AmEx, and we get Paramount Plus free through Walmart + which we get free through our AmEx
Are you only getting Max for a while? I have AT&T internet and got Max (HBO) for free for awhile, but then it ran out. We get Hulu free through Spotify.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

we've had it free for at least 2-3 years or so
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:18 am for those of you who are going back and forth between services, it's worth exploring how many of them you can already get for free through other avenues

So, I called AT&T. We are in a plan that didn’t get ongoing free Max. He said you can’t get free Max by joining any plan, any longer. People (like Bronto) who got the deal are grandfathered in for as long as the keep their current plan.