The Roosevelts - PBS

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

testuser2
Brandt

The Roosevelts - PBS

Post by testuser2 »

Has anyone else been watching this? I'm a sucker for anything Ken Burns. I'm catching up on the first episode. Somehow I never knew Eleanor and FDR were cousins.
Fifth cousins have the same great-great-great-great-grandparents.
So not a big deal. At that time period that would cover many small towns.
joeyclams
Maude Lebowski

Re: The Roosevelts - PBS

Post by joeyclams »

I started watching it last night and am going to watch the previous episodes tonight.

One thing I didn't realize was that Teddy was an unapologetic elitist and made a point of not dumbing his speeches down for his audience. It's was also amazing to understand just how much he did to preserve this country and it's environment when the Trusts wanted it all developed. We could all use a Teddy in this day and age.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Charles Darwin's wife was his first cousin.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kind of a sucker for Ken Burns and a rainy Sunday but this was pretty boring when I picked up midstream last night. I will try it at least a couple more times.
joeyclams
Maude Lebowski

Post by joeyclams »

HaulCitgo wrote:Kind of a sucker for Ken Burns and a rainy Sunday but this was pretty boring when I picked up midstream last night. I will try it at least a couple more times.
Some of the background info about their childhood can be a little monotonous at times but it was pretty informative about how Elenor was raised and how she found her voice going to a private girls school in London. Normally I skim over those parts of books or shows but I actually was interested. Smoking a big joint seemed to help so you can always try that when you decide to dive in.