The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

TheDude
Jackie Treehorn

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by TheDude »

mister d wrote:Every year I buy a 6 pack of Abita's Pecan Harvest hoping its turned into the beer I so badly want it to be.
I know that feeling - I also have hoped this for Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan Ale and it just ain't happening.

I like the Citra hops in Torpedo. A bigger fan of Galaxy hops featured in Schlafly's Tasmanian IPA - that's a great beer that should be coming out around now.

Been drinking beer from an interesting new brewery in Hattiesburg, MS called Southern Prohibition - their year round pale and ESB are good but their seasonal black ipa - Sinister Minister - is really something. Nice to finally see some good small breweries in the south these days:

Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I've been on a great run of late, I can't even remember what I've had.

Great Divide Oatmeal Yeti was really good, probably would have been great with some age. Alcohol overpowered a bit. I liked it a lot better than the Oak Aged Yeti the kids are always going on about.

Mikkeller I Beat You DIPA, brewed in the Brew Dog Brewery, dog. Really interesting, but not as good as I expected. I went in with high expectations, though. It tasted like a blend of DIPA and an Old Ale or barleywine. Kind of weird. I also wonder how fresh some of the weird foreign beers I find in this particular store.

Brought in a good haul today.

Green Flash West Coast Double IPA, Founders Double Trouble DIPA, which I am very much enjoying right now. Not as piney and citrusy as I usually like, and more malty, but really damned good. Glad I sprung for the 4-pack. Oskar Blues Ten FIDY, which i haven't had in far too long. I just can't pay $15 for a 4-pack of cans, but they had singles, and it is soooo good. Allegash Triple and Road Warrior Imperial Rye. It suddenly dawned on me that I have already tried the Road Warrior. Rass, can you confirm that? You seem to remember more about what I post than I do. Since my 9:00am soccer game is cancelled, I may be surfacing in the Lit thread soon.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gonna get all ripped up and start knocking down those "Stop the Swap" signs?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Gonna get all ripped up and start knocking down those "Stop the Swap" signs?
Not a bad idea. I am a bit embarrassed, but I really don't know what the argument against the swap is. Is it just a matter of costing $2 million dollars? The library and municipal building are pretty shabby, especially the municipal building. Have you been in there? Seems like a great and necessary idea, but I haven't followed nearly as closely as I should. I thought about going to the Council meetings, but didn't feel like listening to a lineup of Abe Simpsons yell for 3 hours.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Far as I can tell its a positive in terms of freeing up space close to the train station and gaining land, just being fought by the old people who would vote against any tax increase.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

If you didn't know, old DIPAs become barleywines!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

devilfluff wrote:If you didn't know, old DIPAs become barleywines!
Actually, never heard this before. Just read into it a bit, and there seems to be a lot of disagreement on that. I could see how a young American style barleywine that requires aging could taste like a DIPA if it is overly hopped. I can see how an aged DIPA might taste like a barelywine, but that isn't the same thing as actually becoming a barleywine. Or is it? I always thought you wanted to drink a DIPA within a few months, as the hops lose their freshness.

But let's not get off track and get back to town politics...
-Pruitt
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

The Sybian wrote:
devilfluff wrote:If you didn't know, old DIPAs become barleywines!
Actually, never heard this before. Just read into it a bit, and there seems to be a lot of disagreement on that. I could see how a young American style barleywine that requires aging could taste like a DIPA if it is overly hopped. I can see how an aged DIPA might taste like a barelywine, but that isn't the same thing as actually becoming a barleywine. Or is it? I always thought you wanted to drink a DIPA within a few months, as the hops lose their freshness.

But let's not get off track and get back to town politics...
Did you find the discussions where triple IPA's are basically super hoppy American barleywines?

I'm far more a fan of English barleywines, anyway.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

devilfluff wrote: Did you find the discussions where triple IPA's are basically super hoppy American barleywines?

I'm far more a fan of English barleywines, anyway.
I didn't, and I totally agree on the English barleywines. Lately, it is much harder to find a barleywine that isn't over-hopped. The hops completely mask the flavors that make a barleywine great.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I was working in NYC one day this week, so I stopped in the awesome closet of a beer store in Grand Central Station. They had a lot of European beers I've never heard of, and some great options. Expensive as fuck, though. Remember the JW Lees Lagavulin bottles I found for $2? Those were 2002 and age for 20+ years. This place had the 2012 for $20 for an 11oz bottle. Bombers were going for $16 on a lot of beers, 12 oz bottles that cost $3 anywhere else were $8 here. I did pick up a cheap bottle, Firestone Walker Double Barrel Ale. Everything I've had from them is phenomenal, and I've never seen this anywhere else. Drinking it now, and it is terrible. It tastes a lot like a certain macro, but I can't place it. Maybe Molson Golden, but slightly better. Only slightly. Judging by what others say, it isn't a bad bottle, just a bad beer. Really surprised.

-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

That place is awesome. I sometimes stop and look (I get a shoeshine right there occasionally.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:That place is awesome. I sometimes stop and look (I get a shoeshine right there occasionally.)
Had a really good talk with the cute borderline-punk girl there. She really knows her shit and loves talking beer. Shocking for someone that young to be so knowledgeable. She had to be under 25, and could have passed for 19.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:I've been on a great run of late, I can't even remember what I've had.

Get the untappd app. It's awesome for logging the brewskis.

I had a Brewfist 2Late Imperial IPA last week. 9.5 ABV, 90 IBU hoppy and really really good.
Last edited by A_B on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't get it because I would be mad that I couldn't have my entire history in there.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:I don't get it because I would be mad that I couldn't have my entire history in there.
You do have to kind of draw a line in the sand. When I first got it I tried to think of all the beers I had previously had, but gave up after logging 20-30 or so of the usual ones. Now it's just for any new beers I have going forward. I'm at 283 distinct beers so far (with 315 total check ins, but like i said I quit logging beers I've already had after that first couple of months).

Good for remembering if you had something and how much you liked it if there isn't a great selection of different beers.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:I don't get it because I would be mad that I couldn't have my entire history in there.
Same here. But if I did it a year ago, I'd have a lot in there. Fuck it, I'll check it out.
-Pruitt
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

AB_skin_test wrote:
You do have to kind of draw a line in the sand. When I first got it I tried to think of all the beers I had previously had, but gave up after logging 20-30 or so of the usual ones. Now it's just for any new beers I have going forward. I'm at 283 distinct beers so far (with 315 total check ins, but like i said I quit logging beers I've already had after that first couple of months).

Good for remembering if you had something and how much you liked it if there isn't a great selection of different beers.
I started on untapped 9/13/13. I'm at 538 distinct beers.

I understand the thought you would be annoyed by all the ones you previously had, but I'd forget a ton more without it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Installed Untappd, and got an e-mail with a link to a web series called Beer Geeks. Watched this episode at Port Brewing/Lost Abbey. I really enjoyed it. Never knew Port and Lost Abbey were not only run by the same people, but brewed at the same location. They showed how they make Hot Rocks Lager, which was really cool. They heat topless kegs half filled with bricks of granite. They used a laser gun to measure the temperature in the kegs, and it maxed out at 888 degrees. They dropped a bunch of kegs into a vat, then added the wort, which almost immediately started bubbling and put off tons of steam. Really cool to watch.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yup. And seems very smart to separate the two into very different niche-type breweries.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Gonna have to try that app. I try a lot of different beers but hardly ever remember what I did or did not like. I'm always amazed at how much detail you guys remember.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote:Gonna have to try that app. I try a lot of different beers but hardly ever remember what I did or did not like. I'm always amazed at how much detail you guys remember.
I have a pretty boring rating system. And this is, like my pizza, always based on my personal taste and not how technically good a beer is. I don't care much about a lacy head or aroma to be honest.

Less than one: terrible stuff....example: Dee's Coconut Porter
1-2: Fine if it's free or no other options, but not very good: Stella, Corona Light
2-3: Beers that I will buy because they are usually around and drinkable: West Sixth IPA (local brew), Sam Adams Boston Ale FUCK YEAH MILLER HIGH LIFE
3-4: Beers that I will order if i ever see on tap or on bottle in a restaurant but rarely available at the liquor store or too expensive to drink all the time: Red Stripe, SmittyNose Finestkind IPA, Rogue Dead Guy (Though this is becoming easier to find it is usually not cheap), Fat Tire
4+: Beers that I seek out and or mean something to me. My ratings are absolutely influenced by my experience while drinking it. Best example is MIrror Poind Pale Ale. had one of the best nights of my life approximately twelve hours prior to my avatar drinking that stuff hard. It finally shows up in Lexington, I get some and my friend isn't super impressed, but its as good as I remember. Just like my pizza story. Other high rated for me are Sam Adams Octoberfest, Guiness Extra Stout, Singletrack Copper Ale
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:Gonna have to try that app. I try a lot of different beers but hardly ever remember what I did or did not like. I'm always amazed at how much detail you guys remember.
This has taken a lot of time to develop, and I am still finding I notice more individual flavors in beers than I did even a year or two ago. Part of it is reading about different beers, and how they are made. Reading reviews on BeerAdvocate, while they are mostly pretentious, has helped me to think about the beers I try. 10 years ago, maybe even 5 years ago, I would have made fun of somebody for saying this, and I would have told them to stop thinking about it so much and just enjoy your drink. Beer has become a hobby. I love going to different stores and finding new bottles to try. I enjoy a new beer much more when I know how it is made, what the brewer aimed for, what to look for etc... Beer is no different then wine in identifying the taste profiles. I hear in France, it is common for young drinkers to get a kit with a bunch of items to smell to help learn to identify the profiles of wines. I would love something like this for beer, and I bet someone is selling it.

I just can't get myself to write reviews on BA. This is really the only place I write or even discuss beer, hopefully to advice someone here on a beer that might appeal to them, or to avoid if you don't like certain profiles. I usually remember what a beer tastes like once I've tried it. I find that with DIPAs, I notice more layers than I used to. When I first started drinking them, I just tasted a general, overwhelming hops bitterness. As I've gotten used to them and drink them more than any other style lately, i can differentiate between hops, but I have no idea which ones are which. That is what I want to learn next. There is one type of hop I particularly don't like, but I need to figure out which it is, to avoid it.

For the record, I am totally aware of how douchey and pretentious that post was, but I think some of the regulars in this thread are with me. Rush? Mr.D? Fluff?
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"I would love something like this for beer, and I bet someone is selling it."

There's definitely a hop kit out there like this.

For that same reason, I've wanted (for about half a decade now, with zero movement) to just do a rotating series of single hop homebrews with the same pale malt base but I can't stand bottle-sugar conditioned IPAs. They just suck. So until I invest in a legit kegging system, its not happening and my idea will sit unused.

(Related: I hate homebrewing with other people. I did this back in MA and I'm waaaaaaay too anal about certain specifics, such as filtering, to handle others.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Also, I know which hop you're talking about and also don't know which one it is. And I'm not sure if its actually a hop or a different yeast strain, but there is a taste to certain IPAs thats an instant turn off for me.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: (Related: I hate homebrewing with other people. I did this back in MA and I'm waaaaaaay too anal about certain specifics, such as filtering, to handle others.)
And there goes my next question. One of these days I am going to open up my homebrew kit. The process intimidates me.

The hop I hate reminds me of a shitty beer I tried in my high school days, I think it was Piels, but I'm not positive. I very briefly tried to find the type of hops used in Piels, but haven't found it yet. Let's see if someone has a Piel's clone recipe online.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I got one of those basic homebrewing kits several years back. Made two batches. First was solid, second (a stout) was terrible. Undrinkable. I probably messed it up.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

If you use a homebrew kit like that, use the syrups for the first batch so you can learn the homebrewing process. After that, start using grains to create your wort. Your beers will taste much better.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

A business associate pretty much forced me into drinking his homebrew. It was plenty decent and he had gone to great lengths with labeling and what not but I just cant trust a homebrew. Somehow, I have tried plenty of white liquor and haven't had the same paranoia but something about homebrew just doesn't sit right with me unless ive made it myself.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ballsy, ballsy, maybe drunken move. Totally on board: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/t ... ts.218980/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I stay the F away from BA. The brothers and the people that write reviews need to burn in a dumpster fire. As for particulars in taste and layers of flavor I'm with ya.

Haven't found "that hop" but then again I haven't been sampling new things as much as I have in the past.

I love me some untapped, great way to get recommendations as well as keep track of past brews.

I know I'm friends on untappd to a number of you, but if not please add me jseiferth
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My link really didn't have anything to do with the brothers or the site, its a good summary of what could be a huge battle b/w a small brewery (Pretty Things) and MA bars (namely Bukowski's and Deep Ellum) over illegal selling of handles.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

What's illegal selling of handles? Making a brewer pay to have his or her beer on tap at a certain bar?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote:My link really didn't have anything to do with the brothers or the site, its a good summary of what could be a huge battle b/w a small brewery (Pretty Things) and MA bars (namely Bukowski's and Deep Ellum) over illegal selling of handles.
I was responding more to the post above yours in regards to reading BA reviews.

I am not surprised in the least about the selling of handles in Boston/MA. There is some dirty crap that goes on in MA and then there is some dirt that goes on in distribution. Not surprising at all.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Buying a handle to suppress (theoretically smaller and poorer) competition, Ched. Micros can't sell if the bigger brewers are working with the bars to keep them out to their mutual benefit.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

I'm with you Syb.

That hop may be summit. It leaves a funky, garlicky or oniony taste. I don't mind it, but it really bugs some people.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

devilfluff wrote:I'm with you Syb.

That hop may be summit. It leaves a funky, garlicky or oniony taste. I don't mind it, but it really bugs some people.
Very well could be. I'd describe like a Russian black bread gone funky. Not the Russian black bread you can buy in the US, but the sour, dried out bricks they serve in Russia.

I have found some beer sensory kits. They seem to focus on flavors like Isoamyl Acetate, diacetyl, mercaptan, Dimethyl Sulphide... That is beyond what I am looking for here. There are a couple different companies putting those out, they are all around $250, and come in 3 sets. Fuck that. I just want a bunch of jars of hops.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Literal 15 second search: http://shop.tasteyourbeer.com/Hop-Sampl ... BTK-03.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Literal 15 second search: http://shop.tasteyourbeer.com/Hop-Sampl ... BTK-03.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I saw that one, and it is the closest to something I would buy. The only issue is most the hops included aren't the hops listed in the beers I drink. The first 3 are good (Centennial, Cascade and Chinook), but the rest aren't of interest. DIPAs seem to be the beers advertising the hops they use, so I'd like Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, Columbus...

Fluff, reading through a BA thread on Summit, you may have nailed it. I couldn't think of the beers I had with the offending hop, but looking at the list of beers people mentioned as being Summit heavy, I was disappointed in all of them. Founders Devil Dancer was the biggest offenders. The comments mention Deviant Dale's as having a slight Summit flavor. I haven't had Deviant in 2 years, but I remember not liking an aspect to it. Thanks for pointing this out. I am tempted to pick up a can of Gubna, as that sounds like the most Summit heavy beer, and man do people hate it. It seems like some people taste onions and garlic, while others don't. I wonder if it is similar to people who taste soap when they eat cilantro. I never thought of it as onions or garlic. I don't find it offensive, I just don't particularly like the flavor. I think it is more of a taste memory of a horrible beer from my youth. Maybe I should buy a sixer of Piels to determine if that was it. Can't say I've noticed Piels in the last 15 years.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You could probably piece your own together buying the smallest increments of pellets from a homebrew shop too. Maybe online so you don't annoy anyone. Homebrew places are polar in that they're either the most helpful, willing to talk and share types or the biggest "stop bothering me, amateur" dicks in the world.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:You could probably piece your own together buying the smallest increments of pellets from a homebrew shop too. Maybe online so you don't annoy anyone. Homebrew places are polar in that they're either the most helpful, willing to talk and share types or the biggest "stop bothering me, amateur" dicks in the world.

http://shop.atonofhops.com/ Great idea, this will do the trick. An ounce of pellets of a whole bunch of varieties. Maybe it will inspire me to actually use the pellets.
-Pruitt