Boston is Winning (or More Proof of Fat America Winning)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Boston is Winning (or More Proof of Fat America Winning)

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So this morning as I walked down K-street in DC I noticed something new. Across the street from my office used to be this salad joint called "Eco-Green". Organic and super healthy menu. It did not have much variety and price point was off so it only was open 4 months or so (But the Chop't down the street kills it). The signage is still up, but this morning something new was in the window....Dunkin' Doughnuts Coming Soon.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Re: Boston is Winning (or More Proof of Fat America Winning)

Post by Keg »

I saw an article recently that said Dunkin Donuts is going to start invading California soon. IIRC, they're going to open over 300 stores in the next couple of years.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

At least they are cheaper than Starschmucks...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

But boyhowdy does their coffee suck.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Keg wrote:I saw an article recently that said Dunkin Donuts is going to start invading California soon. IIRC, they're going to open over 300 stores in the next couple of years.
They are building one in downtown SLC as we speak. It's replacing a Burger King, so no net gain in fat consumption, I figure. It's just a shift from afternoon to morning.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Could be worse. Could be a Krispy Kreme
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

The last Dunkin' Donut I bit into was still partially frozen.

It was about 25 years ago.
mini puke to 1,558
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't eat donuts and I don't drink coffee, so I haven't had it in years either. But they are expanding rapidly on the west coast like Keg said. Came to Las Vegas about three years ago and the first stores had lines out the door for weeks.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A lot of the Dunkin's around here are also Baskin Robbins franchises also.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Dunkin Donuts is all over Korea. Everywhere. It's probably due to the coffee fetish that permeates life here. Throw a stone and you either hit a chain coffee spot or a family owned business. And what's funny is that all of the coffee is delicious. (As are they're doughnuts. The stuff isn't healthy, but they are correctly proportioned and made better than anything I've had in the states.) And I'm not even a coffee drinker, btw! When I drink, I only drink it black. I have yet to be disgusted by a cup. Except the cheap-o dogshit water at the Shoppette on base. That's gross.

I posted the 4 story one in My Korea Thread, right? If not, lemme repost it here:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ive got a hard on for that Dunkins. Bacon egg cheese bagel and coffee. Mmmmmmnnn. Let me know when DAngelo hits the big time.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I will never understand why or how anyone likes Dunkin's coffee. It is the absolute worst coffee of any store, restaurant, cafe or gas station. It is on par with instant coffee or those Keurig things. [\ducks for cover] I occasionally drink it when there are no other options, but it sucks balls. I always have them throw in an espresso shot to give it a semblance of coffee flavor, otherwise it just tastes like dirt-water. I'm convinced the only reason people like it is that they don't actually like coffee, and if you ask them to put in sugar, they dump in 10 servings of sugar, so that's all you taste.

(That said, I was given a Dunkin' gift card once, and used it to buy whole beans. Making their beans at home, it wasn't bad.)
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
garyclark
Jackie Treehorn

Post by garyclark »

The Sybian wrote:I will never understand why or how anyone likes Dunkin's coffee. It is the absolute worst coffee of any store, restaurant, cafe or gas station. It is on par with instant coffee or those Keurig things. [\ducks for cover] I occasionally drink it when there are no other options, but it sucks balls. I always have them throw in an espresso shot to give it a semblance of coffee flavor, otherwise it just tastes like dirt-water. I'm convinced the only reason people like it is that they don't actually like coffee, and if you ask them to put in sugar, they dump in 10 servings of sugar, so that's all you taste.

(That said, I was given a Dunkin' gift card once, and used it to buy whole beans. Making their beans at home, it wasn't bad.)

This is accurate. The coffee itself isn't much worse than Starbucks. But Dunkin waters it down to the point of little flavor. The way folks order their coffee up here is two parts coffee, one part sugar, one part cream. So they get what they want and Dunkin prints money.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Part of its that lid on the medium just sucks spit back into the cup. I don't like that. But the coffee is decent. Maybe 5/10. But its a side show. They've got breakfast sandwiches. Except when the don't nuke them enough.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

garyclark wrote:
The Sybian wrote:I will never understand why or how anyone likes Dunkin's coffee. It is the absolute worst coffee of any store, restaurant, cafe or gas station. It is on par with instant coffee or those Keurig things. [\ducks for cover] I occasionally drink it when there are no other options, but it sucks balls. I always have them throw in an espresso shot to give it a semblance of coffee flavor, otherwise it just tastes like dirt-water. I'm convinced the only reason people like it is that they don't actually like coffee, and if you ask them to put in sugar, they dump in 10 servings of sugar, so that's all you taste.

This is accurate. The coffee itself isn't much worse than Starbucks. But Dunkin waters it down to the point of little flavor. The way folks order their coffee up here is two parts coffee, one part sugar, one part cream. So they get what they want and Dunkin prints money.
The point that both of you are missing is that cream and sugar taste better than coffee does.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh, and Dunkin' is introducing this delicious 'MURICAN concoction.

Taste-Testing the Dunkin’ Donuts Glazed Doughnut Breakfast Sandwich

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Rather than quote I'll just hear, hear, down here.

and add when your "coffee" is basically 80% milk and sugar it ain't coffee.

(Though the DD's around Hanscom in Lexington they aren't that bad as there are so many coffee shops in and around the base they need to make the coffee more than palatable in order to get people to drink it. )
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
The point that both of you are missing is that cream and sugar taste better than coffee does.
I really like coffee though. Good coffee, that is.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt