Man's Best Friend

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Ryan
The Dude

Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by Ryan »

Mine just turned 10 a week ago. Hoping she makes it 24ish so the boys are out.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So sorry. That's horrible. Sydney just turned 10 herself a few months ago. Don't even want to think about it. Hopefully Harper wasn't in any pain or anything like that.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nope. Sudden heart attack or stroke, he was gone within 90 minutes of whatever it was starting. Worse short term because we were so unprepared but better long term, I'm sure.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

sorry, mr. d.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sorry to hear that, hope Q is coping.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Not a sad post!

Decent chance I am adopting my neighbors' dog in the near future. They brought up the possibility to me, I told them I wanted to try it, so now I think it's just a matter of time of actually doing it.

Any advice from the multiple dog owners? She's probably 2 or a bit younger. A mutt, 40 lbs or so, and super sweet. She loves Toby and they get along very well (and Toby plays with her incredibly well too). She's better behaved when she's with us because she has a dog to play with and relax with. I think she's too high-energy for my neighbors' situation and with me working from home and another dog around, she'll have a better time.

We shall see.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

No advice, but good luck!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I don't have any advice, either. But good on you to give another dog a home!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Brontoburglar wrote:Not a sad post!

Decent chance I am adopting my neighbors' dog in the near future. They brought up the possibility to me, I told them I wanted to try it, so now I think it's just a matter of time of actually doing it.

Any advice from the multiple dog owners? She's probably 2 or a bit younger. A mutt, 40 lbs or so, and super sweet. She loves Toby and they get along very well (and Toby plays with her incredibly well too). She's better behaved when she's with us because she has a dog to play with and relax with. I think she's too high-energy for my neighbors' situation and with me working from home and another dog around, she'll have a better time.

We shall see.
I've been a multi-dog owner for about 12 years; as many as four plus a foster or 2 mixed in. Since they already know each other I wouldn't expect any difficulty. My only advice would be to watch them during feeding the first couple weeks just to make sure there is no food aggression issue. Also, if either is used to being crated make sure they have their own space.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

GoodKarma wrote:

We shall see.
I've been a multi-dog owner for about 12 years; as many as four plus a foster or 2 mixed in. Since they already know each other I wouldn't expect any difficulty. My only advice would be to watch them during feeding the first couple weeks just to make sure there is no food aggression issue. Also, if either is used to being crated make sure they have their own space.
Thanks. And thanks, guys. Don't know if it's happening, honestly. After a day of serious discussions and an agreement to try it out last week, they haven't brought it up again. So I'm just hanging around, playing with her at every opportunity and seeing what happens.

She's absolutely hilarious about being at my place though. I came upstairs Sunday morning to find her waiting at my front door. Monday, as I was mowing the yard, she apparently jumped through my front screen door to get inside with Toby (thankfully the screen stayed intact and just opened inwards rather than splitting). And whenever I'm outside when she is she can't get enough love.

(She's unaccompanied on these visits. One of the reasons they have mentioned giving her to me is because she's learned to climb their chain link fence)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

If it happens, make sure that everything is equal. Treats for each, bedding for each, etc.

Good luck. Two can live as cheaply as one, but it costs twice as much.
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Thanks. And thanks, guys. Don't know if it's happening, honestly. After a day of serious discussions and an agreement to try it out last week, they haven't brought it up again. So I'm just hanging around, playing with her at every opportunity and seeing what happens.

She's absolutely hilarious about being at my place though. I came upstairs Sunday morning to find her waiting at my front door. Monday, as I was mowing the yard, she apparently jumped through my front screen door to get inside with Toby (thankfully the screen stayed intact and just opened inwards rather than splitting). And whenever I'm outside when she is she can't get enough love.

(She's unaccompanied on these visits. One of the reasons they have mentioned giving her to me is because she's learned to climb their chain link fence)[/quote]

It all depends on Toby. The other dog seems cool with it, and is clearly comfortable with you and being in your house. Does Toby get jealous when he sees you giving another dog attention? Food anxiety would be my biggest concern.

I have been volunteering at a dog rescue for a couple of months, and they are 100% foster care, no dogs stay on site. Almost all of the foster families have at least one dog, and it works out great. The owned dogs may just be used to it, but they post lots of pictures of the dogs sleeping on top of each other and playing. Our neighbors just got a second dog in preparation as their first dog is 11. They were a bit concerned as #1 has been the only dog in the house his entire life, and being older, might not like having to constantly deal with a 1 year old, energetic pup. They got along great instantly, and have had no issues at all.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Home For Good?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Home For Good?
Yep. They are amazing. 4 paid employees, and they pull 15-20 dogs out of the South every 2 weeks. They go to a couple of high kill shelters in GA and SC and choose the dogs with the best temperaments. They foster them for a few weeks before driving them to NJ to make sure they are good with kids and other dogs. Anyone looking to adopt in NJ, this is the way to go. They have so many dogs to select from, they save the best pets. People in these two areas are fucking horrible. So many have no compassion for dogs, yet get them and treat them horribly. The shelter gets a lot of pets people drop off when they go on vacation, knowing the dogs will be killed in 5 days, then take another dog when they get home. How the fuck can somebody so that?

I go to the transports, to get the dogs off the trucks and settled. They drive over night with all of the dogs in the back of a van in cages. I expected them to be a wreck, but they are actually in decent shape. Some are a bit nervous, and who wouldn't be? But they warm up to you fast, and are desperate for some love or to play. We get them all bathed, groomed for those that need it, and a full vet checkup and pictures for the website. We have to get fecal samples, which can be disgusting, as most of them have upset stomachs. I had to grab a couple dogs out of a cage when one had diarrhea. A woman handed me a dog telling me to hold it, and it was too late when I realized it was covered in shit. Another day, a guy handed me a dog off the truck while saying "we have a puker" as he handed me a dog covered in vomit. Parenthood has prepared me well for this, and it is incredibly rewarding, especially seeing all the dogs I worked on posted on the website in a picture with their new families. I choked up driving home the first day thinking about how all of those dogs were a couple of days away from being euthanized, and thinking about them living in a house with kids for the next 10 or so years.

A couple pics from my second favorite litter:

And the 3 of them all tuckered out

-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, they're legit. Donated all of Harper's stuff last week.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nice move.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That's very cool Syb.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

My friend Dan just went to Germany and brought home a Leonberger puppy. This is him here. No name yet...

This is around where he'll be full grown...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
travzilla
Bunny Lebowski

Post by travzilla »

Holy crap that is an awesome looking dog.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Jerloma wrote:My friend Dan just went to Germany and brought home a Leonberger puppy. This is him here. No name yet...

This is around where he'll be full grown...

Is that a close relative to a Tibetan Mastiff?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Leon.

What do I win?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

howard wrote:Leon.

What do I win?
I said K2.
Is that a close relative to a Tibetan Mastiff?
No, it's along the lines of a Newfoundland/St Bernard.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Christ, are they just gonna buy sides of beef to feed him?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

They should also go ahead and budget for the $10,000 or so worth of vacuums that thing is going to destroy per year.

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Trust me, they can afford it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Adog Sitler.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote:Adog Sitler.
+1

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote:
mister d wrote:Adog Sitler.
+1
+2

I have never had a big dog - the idea of picking up a huge dog's shit twice a day is kind of offputting.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It's not an issue. This is literally how much room the dog has to shit.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8208332 ... a=!3m1!1e3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Wow, such a big plot, they have their own school
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

The name on that school certainly does imply that there will be no problems on the home front.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote:
GoodKarma wrote:

We shall see.

(She's unaccompanied on these visits. One of the reasons they have mentioned giving her to me is because she's learned to climb their chain link fence)
It happened. But not like I would have guessed in a million years.

Last Saturday when she was over at my house playing with Toby, the boys (7 and 9) who live there were saying they were going to Hawaii and leaving over the weekend. It jived with what their cousin had said (she's in her 20s and lives there. yeah, yeah, now isn't the time) so I figured it was true but didn't give it much thought Or enough thought to ask what they were doing with Penny.

I slept with the windows open Sunday night and heard someone leave early Monday morning. Figured they were leaving for the trip. I heard Penny barking Monday morning outside, so I figured she was there and someone was taking care of her. Hadn't heard from her since. I knew the kids' grandmother had a privacy fence and figured she was there and would be there for the duration. I didn't give it much thought other than being saddened Toby wasn't going to have a playdate for a while.

I had my Twitter client open late this afternoon. I had just finished dinner and was going to go to the Sporting KC game in about 30 minutes or so. I have one of the local shelters on the list and they sent this tweet and I clicked on it because the dog's name was Penny.

The picture got bigger and it hit me. Holy crap. That's Penny. From next door. The eyes. The white feet. The white toenail on her back left foot. And the tail. What other dog has a roller coaster tail. And what other dog named Penny has a roller coaster tail?

I called the shelter to ask when she arrived. Monday. Holy shit. It's her. They were open until 8 and open at 10 tomorrow. I called them back, asking if I could leave my info if they had anyone interested in adopting her tonight. The person at the front desk told me no.

So fuck it. I was going out there. It's 30 minutes from my house so I dropped Toby off at my parents and raced off to the shelter, hoping no one would have picked her up. I walked into the adoption center and explained what was going on. Everyone -- including the people in the process of adopting dogs -- turned around to listen after I started explaining why I was there.

At that point I was 98% sure. They took me back to the dogs and brought her out to me. She immediately laid down for a belly rub and wanted to be in my lap. Yep, it's my Penny. I wasn't leaving without her.

Two hours later I was on my way with Penny in the backseat. Toby has a new best friend. I have no idea why I wasn't told that she was being dropped off at the shelter, and while it would have saved me the adoption fee I'm not going to bitch about that. The good news is that she's on the pillow next to me sound asleep. And she's mine. She needs some training, but we can do that - she's a super smart girl.

And I missed the game too. A 4-0 win. Eh, whatever. It was a no-brainer. Thank your deity of choice I had Twitter open when I did. Otherwise this never would have happened.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Good on you. Excepting violence or like severe issues with a kid or something, I can't imagine how people do that.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

She was definitely surrendered and not picked up?

That's awesome man.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

You've got some fucked up neighbors. What are they going to think when old Penny is still there? Who cares? Nice work, bronts.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sucks for those kids, having complete shithead parents who I have no doubt will try to leverage sympathy into getting the dog back for as long as they feel like having her around in a week or two.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I wish you and Penny (and Toby) many years of great playtime and long walks.

Can't wait for updates regarding the neighbours.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote:She was definitely surrendered and not picked up?

That's awesome man.
She was an owner surrender as they termed it. To owner surrender a dog with the shelter you have to pay $65 or something. And fill out a few pages of paperwork about the dog. As part of the adoption process we had to go through the owner surrender paperwork (formality as they knew I was very familiar with the dog) and everything my neighbors wrote in the paperwork was accurate. It was nothing crazy either. She jumps the fence... and is active. But honestly, she's not super active. I don't think she's much, if any, more active than Toby was at 18 months - her birthday is listed as 11/25/13.
govmentchedda wrote:You've got some fucked up neighbors. What are they going to think when old Penny is still there? Who cares? Nice work, bronts.
I don't get it. My only thought is that they didn't want the boys to know that she had gone to the neighbor. So they tried to slip it as they went on vacation and tell me when they got back.

According to what I was told last night second-hand by the person I was working with, the mom next door filled out the paperwork and couldn't bring herself to bring Penny in. So she recruited the grandmother who then recruited her grandson (the mom's son who is early 20s as well).

It's an odd family situation - the kid who brought her in is their only biological kid I think... I think it's his cousin who is the girl that lives with them and then the boys are the girl's sister. And they've only been in KC on weekends with the dad as he's been in Nebraska caring for parents (at least that's what I was told). So Penny was with the niece and the mom during the week and they both worked full-time. She's a crate dog because she chews things too.

She was great in the crate last night. I didn't hear her at all and had the windows all open. She was a bit unhappy when I went to the gym this morning but didn't protest too much. Now she's playing with a tennis ball next to me. In the very limited time she's been with me it's almost like she's a different dog than the one that was next door.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That's completely fucked up. I'll never understand people who treat their dogs like temporary, disposable possessions.

BTW, keep crating her at night and when you're not home. It's actually good for them, especially a dog like that that might have separation issues.
Totally Kafkaesque
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

govmentchedda wrote:You've got some fucked up neighbors. What are they going to think when old Penny is still there? Who cares? Nice work, bronts.
Isn't the responsible thing to give the dog to a shelter? If you don't want a dog and you've made the mistake of adopting one, what do you do? I wouldn't ask my neighbor to take the dog. "Sorry kids, I've given away your dog to Mr. Bronto." Good for you for rescuing her, but I'm not sure what the neighbors did was such a bad thing.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.