Jason Collins (not dead)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Jason Collins

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:so he is part way there.
If I take this in the context of your current "location", I really have to doubt your Jersey credentials.

Half!

He's half way there.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The % of gay soccer players has to be 3-5x that of football players, no?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
The Sybian wrote:so he is part way there.
If I take this in the context of your current "location", I really have to doubt your Jersey credentials.

Half!

He's half way there.
I am going to meet you the other half of the way and concede my Jersey street cred (gladly). I have no idea what you mean. I don't count my Hoboken years as living in Jersey, so I really just moved to Jersey at 28 or 29 yo, so I can't claim much Jerz-cred.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote:The % of gay soccer players has to be 3-5x that of football players, no?

And it looks like it is going to increase by a confirmed number of 1. Robbie Rogers who wrote a blog post outing himself and announcing his retirement (I think it was cited upthread, maybe even by me), but certainly had it's own thread in some Swamp edition, announced that he is planning on returning to MLS next season. He was playing in a lower division in England, and received tremendous support from the MLS and numerous players in the MLS, which was fantastic. He was fairly young, I want to say 25, so the retirement was completely driven by the announcement. Great story if it was the Twitter support that made him feel welcome to return.

BTW, anyone see Charles Barkley comment on Collins? I meant to post his TNT pregame show round table. He said every player in the NBA has played with gay players, and he knows of at least 3 or 4 teammates that were gay. He made it sound like he knew at the time, and that his teammates knew at the time that the players were gay and nobody cared. He said the whole locker room issue is made up by the media, and players don't care. Interesting if true, but Barkley isn't the normal player in any way. I hope he is right. I don't doubt that most players have had gay teammates, but I don't think they knew it at the time. But, WTF do I know?
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote:BTW, anyone see Charles Barkley comment on Collins? I meant to post his TNT pregame show round table. He said every player in the NBA has played with gay players, and he knows of at least 3 or 4 teammates that were gay. He made it sound like he knew at the time, and that his teammates knew at the time that the players were gay and nobody cared. He said the whole locker room issue is made up by the media, and players don't care. Interesting if true, but Barkley isn't the normal player in any way. I hope he is right. I don't doubt that most players have had gay teammates, but I don't think they knew it at the time. But, WTF do I know?
I think I wrote about this idea above. I really don't think locker rooms will be a problem. Sure, you'll get the rare outspoken anti-gay teammate, but they will be very few. Teams have always dealt well with all kinds of differences. It's one of the great things about sports. The power of a team to bring guys together who otherwise wouldn't know or like each other is present from pee wee to the pros.

Nobody is going to want to be the asshole teammate speaking out against guys on this own team.

That said, if it does happen, it'll probably be football, because the teams are so big and there's such a strong Christian community.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The locker room aspect kind of reminds me about the shop aspect when DADT was still a thing in the military.

Everyone knew someone who was gay. In fact, there were open gays I knew of that kind of dared someone to speak out about them. The burden of proof was on the accuser. The other aspect of DADT was "don't pursue." That was never a topic discussed anywhere. You want to accuse someone of being gay? You better have evidence that you didn't obtain it through coercion. Unless the person self identified, it went nowhere.

So, like how Barkley notes that it's the media going bonkers over gays in the NBA, it was members of Congress going bonkers over gays in the military. The shittiest part about the latter was that it was usually some dumbfuck GOP dude with zero military experience using "readiness" or "it's not right during wartime" as a lame excuse. Of course he knows fit to send us to Trashcanistan and Iraq (on God's orders!), but Allah forbid a friend of mine wants to be honest about himself/herself. All DADT did was give bible thumpers a license to witch hunt.

I was happy to see that Jason Collins noted all of the fearmongerers that said the military would collapse if gays could serve openly. Exactly none of that happened.

In the military if you show up on time and do your job, no one cares who you fuck on the weekends. I would imagine it's the same mindset in any environment where there's a 'team' dynamic -- like the NBA/NFL/any sport.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:The locker room aspect kind of reminds me about the shop aspect when DADT was still a thing in the military.

Everyone knew someone who was gay. In fact, there were open gays I knew of that kind of dared someone to speak out about them. The burden of proof was on the accuser. The other aspect of DADT was "don't pursue." That was never a topic discussed anywhere. You want to accuse someone of being gay? You better have evidence that you didn't obtain it through coercion. Unless the person self identified, it went nowhere.

So, like how Barkley notes that it's the media going bonkers over gays in the NBA, it was members of Congress going bonkers over gays in the military. The shittiest part about the latter was that it was usually some dumbfuck GOP dude with zero military experience using "readiness" or "it's not right during wartime" as a lame excuse. Of course he knows fit to send us to Trashcanistan and Iraq (on God's orders!), but Allah forbid a friend of mine wants to be honest about himself/herself. All DADT did was give bible thumpers a license to witch hunt.

I was happy to see that Jason Collins noted all of the fearmongerers that said the military would collapse if gays could serve openly. Exactly none of that happened.

In the military if you show up on time and do your job, no one cares who you fuck on the weekends. I would imagine it's the same mindset in any environment where there's a 'team' dynamic -- like the NBA/NFL/any sport.

Well said, Johnnie.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote:
Johnnie wrote:The locker room aspect kind of reminds me about the shop aspect when DADT was still a thing in the military.

Well said, Johnnie.
He's so well-spoken and articulate!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:
The Sybian wrote: Well said, Johnnie.
He's so well-spoken and articulate!

Jesus, I don't even realize how racist I am sometimes.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote: Wed May 01, 2013 7:14 pm...Jesus
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What is happening?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:15 pm What is happening?
jesus still dead...don't see what's confusing.

oops...I killed Jason Collins (I was thinking of the guy that shot the driver...didn't he die?). So what is happening is an ex post facto* realization that thread naming conventions were not being followed!

* - edit - I used this terrifically wrong I think. Thanks, Twitter Law University
Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Jason Collins (not dead)

Post by Johnnie »

Jayson Williams is who you're thinking of.

Also, why was this thread bumped? I'm still confused.

Regardless, good to know how on the right side of things I was in 2013. Go me.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Not sure why it was bumped, other than Rass reading old threads on a loop to ensure he can reference a post from 9 years ago at all times. This was a fun one to go back and read through. Not sure which was more cringe inducing, me mistakenly writing gender identity instead of sexuality (I just finished teaching an anti-harassment class discussing these issues prior to reading) or me missing Rass' joke about my Jersey credentials for not quoting Bon Jovi when I could have.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie - There was some kind of inside joke going on based on something I didn't have the energy to figure out. A couple of the 2013 threads were bumped this morning for some reason.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:48 pm Johnnie - There was some kind of inside joke going on based on something I didn't have the energy to figure out. A couple of the 2013 threads were bumped this morning for some reason.
Gotcha. Makes sense now. Thank you.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:00 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:48 pm Johnnie - There was some kind of inside joke going on based on something I didn't have the energy to figure out. A couple of the 2013 threads were bumped this morning for some reason.
Gotcha. Makes sense now. Thank you.
It most assuredly does not!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:28 pm search.php?author_id=123&sr=posts
Ohhhhhh. NOW I get it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:28 pm
Jerloma wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:15 pm What is happening?
jesus still dead...don't see what's confusing.

oops...I killed Jason Collins (I was thinking of the guy that shot the driver...didn't he die?). So what is happening is an ex post facto* realization that thread naming conventions were not being followed!

* - edit - I used this terrifically wrong I think. Thanks, Twitter Law University
TIL Jayson Williams isn't dead either!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

She also wrote a poem about her father and dedicated it: "To the weakest man I know, Jayson."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:05 pm She also wrote a poem about her father and dedicated it: "To the weakest man I know, Jayson."
Yeah not Father Of The Year shit.