Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote:It does, actually. Vernon or Butler?
Vernon, but no way Will Butler and I wouldn't talk for hours since he's a huge Rockets fan.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We you wearing your "I {heart} threesomes" t-shirt?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
mister d wrote:I think a lot of the hate is really for Vernon himself.
Other than his recent (hypocritcal) Pepsi/Beyonce comments, why would he garner hate?
There are artists I like where I'm pretty sure I would like the person behind the art (St. Vincent, Will Sheff) and there are artists I like where I probably don't want to know anything about the person (Father John Misty). For some reason, beyond the series of one-off annoyances, Vernon has always seemed to fall closer to the latter category. There's not a good reason like with FJM, but just something, like the minor comments are a window into major comments that haven't yet been made? I don't know. Same with Win Butler.
I agree with this sentiment 100%, if not your putting Vernon in that category. I have a feeling I would despise FJM and Win Butler, and it has altered my appreciation of Arcade Fire (never really cared for FJM). I commented to a friend recently that it makes no sense but I can only handle so many messianic lead singers. FJM, Win Butler, Sam Beam - hate. Gallagher brothers and Alex from ES&tMZ - love.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I love Sam Beam, but otherwise I'm more or less on board with what you're saying.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, you have to flip Beam and Alex Ebert. The latter is a massive fraud (and arguably bounced the infinitely more talented Jade (last name) from the group for being more talented).
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

From interviews I've read about Father John Misty, he's at the top of that list.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:Yeah, you have to flip Beam and Alex Ebert. The latter is a massive fraud (and arguably bounced the infinitely more talented Jade (last name) from the group for being more talented).
Jade Castrinos, and they don't interest me now that she's gone. But, i was fully aware of him being a massive fraud, at the time, and just didn't care. Their live shows when Jade was still there were amazing.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

All the way from Scotland comes a reggae cover of a Kraftwerk tune.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Two things.

First, saw Eric Bachmann, my personal Bob Dylan, former lead singer of Archers of Loaf and Crooked Fingers, last night in a living room show with 40 people. Just EB and an acoustic guitar and banjo. Amazing.

Second, I really like the new Solange album.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I know the feeling. I saw my personal fav, Graham Parker, for a living room show. It's wonderful.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

howard wrote:I know the feeling. I saw my personal fav, Graham Parker, for a living room show. It's wonderful.
It was so great. I've seen him, in many iterations of groups he's lead, probably 20 times over the last 23 years. He's released 14 different albums over the years, and tried to play one song from each. He did play one cover, Prince's "When U Were Mine", that he covered years ago for an EP.

Right after he played the first song he let us know that he wanted to treat this show differently than regular concerts in that he was welcoming song suggestions for the crowd, with the caveat that he wanted to try and play one song from each album. He even asked for a little bit of back up singing from the crowd from a few songs.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

As a close, personal friend* of Sam Beam, I can tell you he's a good dude.

* Our kids go to the same school and I sat next to him at some parent event. I see him in carpool every now and then too. Never talked to the man, but I've admired his beard.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Related, I thought I was completely past any level of star struck (Messier exempted) and then I found out L-Boogie's youngest is in Q's class at school.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote:As a close, personal friend* of Sam Beam, I can tell you he's a good dude.

* Our kids go to the same school and I sat next to him at some parent event. I see him in carpool every now and then too. Never talked to the man, but I've admired his beard.
He's kind of big among a few friends of mine because he was a professor at FSU when he started Iron and Wine. I'm glad he's a good dude, I just don't dig his songs.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Maybe he doesn't dig your mediations...ever think of that?
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote:Maybe he doesn't dig your mediations...ever think of that?
He probably doesn't. Also, pretty funny as opposing counsel in this morning's case looks a lot like your avatar.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

For AB:

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:For AB:

That's the sort of thing that makes me feel old. John Prine is still putting out albums and playing shows and is a hero to guys like Jason Isbell and Todd Snider. I've seen him a couple times - once solo in '84 or so, and once before that when I was in college he played a duo show with a great guy named Steve Goodman.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not sure how most of you guys feel about female alt-country/Americana but the new Lydia Loveless album (Real) is the balls. I was a fan of her first two, but this is a big step up. Psyched she's going to be opening for DBT in Phoenix on Saturday.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:Not sure how most of you guys feel about female alt-country/Americana but the new Lydia Loveless album (Real) is the balls. I was a fan of her first two, but this is a big step up. Psyched she's going to be opening for DBT in Phoenix on Saturday.

She's really good.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:Not sure how most of you guys feel about female alt-country/Americana but the new Lydia Loveless album (Real) is the balls. I was a fan of her first two, but this is a big step up. Psyched she's going to be opening for DBT in Phoenix on Saturday.
I've heard her a couple times on Sirius Outlaw Country. Sounds good.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Posted this in a hockey thread but didn't want it to get lost there, so I'm putting it here, too.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Ever hear of Kate Tempest? English woman who does a mix of hip-hop/spoken word stuff. She did a live session on KEXP today from Iceland, and it was super cool, and what I've heard of her new album "Let Them Eat Chaos" is great.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Came across this awesome cover of Because The Night today. Holy hell can this chick play guitar. It's Garbage and Screaming Females playing together.

Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Garbage and Screaming Females is the name of my memoir.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:Came across this awesome cover of Because The Night today. Holy hell can this chick play guitar. It's Garbage and Screaming Females playing together.

Screaming Females is a great band. And yeah, Marissa Paternoster shreds.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Shirley wrote:Came across this awesome cover of Because The Night today. Holy hell can this chick play guitar. It's Garbage and Screaming Females playing together.

Screaming Females is a great band. And yeah, Marissa Paternoster shreds.
And Shirley Manson is the fuckin' best. Garbage was/is so good.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nice write-up/interview about Sturgill Simpson getting a suprise Grammy nomination for Album of the year
What did you tell your band about all this?

I told them, ‘So much for time off.’ I had completely planned to take the next year, or possibly 18 months, completely off. I was so certain that when the tour wrapped up, we were done. But it might be a good idea to go play some shows again, I don’t know, given how many millions of people are saying, ‘Who the [expletive] is Sturgill Simpson?’ as of this morning.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Well, any cover of this one, like a handful of iconically 'untouchable' tunes cause me to get my back up. This one, which gave us not one but two perfect versions in 1977, between the Bruce bootleg and co-writer Patti's album (legal constraints prevented Bruce from officially recording it for another decade.) It was the damn anthem of that year and period. Approach with caution. (hey, I love Natalie, but please don't bring that up.)

But the kids did a nice job. (Shirley Manson, a kid, I suppose not.) Gonna have to hear some more of that gal's guitar, that was pretty cool.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:Well, any cover of this one, like a handful of iconically 'untouchable' tunes cause me to get my back up. This one, which gave us not one but two perfect versions in 1977, between the Bruce bootleg and co-writer Patti's album (legal constraints prevented Bruce from officially recording it for another decade.) It was the damn anthem of that year and period. Approach with caution. (hey, I love Natalie, but please don't bring that up.)

But the kids did a nice job. (Shirley Manson, a kid, I suppose not.) Gonna have to hear some more of that gal's guitar, that was pretty cool.
I thought Natalie Merchant's cover was good. But, I always wondered why I never hear Bruce's version.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

So for some reason (probably because I recently listened to Roger Waters on WTF), I decided to fire up some Pink Floyd on Spotify. I realized I'd never listed to (that I can recall) Obscured by Clouds. So, it's not exactly bad, but there's not much in here that's memorable. You'd never guess listening to this that Pink Floyd was about to rip off the four album stretch of Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall. Has any band ever had a mid-late run of albums like that? I mean, Dark Side was their eighth album.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Well Obscured is a basically a movie soundtrack, composed to fit the film La Vallee, and starting with Meddle is where they finally shook free of Barrett, so Meddle (actually my favorite of their albums) is where I'd start to talk about their greatness.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Rush2112 wrote:Well Obscured is a basically a movie soundtrack, composed to fit the film La Vallee, and starting with Meddle is where they finally shook free of Barrett, so Meddle (actually my favorite of their albums) is where I'd start to talk about their greatness.
Meddle is clearly better than Obscured. And really showed their promise.

I still can't think of any other bands who hit their creative peak so late in their careers.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Doobies.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Shirley wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:Well Obscured is a basically a movie soundtrack, composed to fit the film La Vallee, and starting with Meddle is where they finally shook free of Barrett, so Meddle (actually my favorite of their albums) is where I'd start to talk about their greatness.
Meddle is clearly better than Obscured. And really showed their promise.

I still can't think of any other bands who hit their creative peak so late in their careers.
Sort of different bands though. Early Floyd was Barrett. Wasn't 'til Meddle that the band got out from under his shadow, also as I said Obscured is a soundtrack so I wouldn't really place it in the evolution of the band.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote:Doobies.
Sort of different bands though. Early Doobies was Tom Johnston. When Michael McDonald replaced him as the main singer, they went from rock to yacht rock.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I think their work on Zabriskie Point is their first foray into what would become. Meddle was over a year after..
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote:
rass wrote:Doobies.
Sort of different bands though. Early Doobies was Tom Johnston. When Michael McDonald replaced him as the main singer, they went from rock to yacht rock.
Early Doobies is kinda like Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. But damn did they flame out. Yeesh.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote:I still can't think of any other bands who hit their creative peak so late in their careers.
Red Hot Chili Peppers would qualify as peaking way later into their career if their next album isn't total garbage.