Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by rass »

EnochRoot wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
rass wrote:Doobies.
Sort of different bands though. Early Doobies was Tom Johnston. When Michael McDonald replaced him as the main singer, they went from rock to yacht rock.
Early Doobies is kinda like Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. But damn did they flame out. Yeesh.
That was inside joke for either my dad (who thinks MM ruined the Doobies) or my wife (who doesn't like MM either and finds the vehemence of my dad's opinion on this subject hilarious) but neither of them ever come in here so I guess it was for me and I apologize for any misunderstanding.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Finally checking out the new Tycho. It's gooooood.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

P.D.X. wrote:Finally checking out the new Tycho. It's gooooood.

BSFGF loves these guys. I...just don't get it? She likes a lot of bands in this style and I just can't get into it. It's not that it's bad, I just don't want to go watch a bunch of people dick around on a computer for an hour and call it a concert. I went with her last year to see Polica, that was abysmal. With with her and her friend to see El Ten Eleven 2 years ago and it was the same deal. It's neat, but after 5 minutes it just comes off as the same ambient noise. What am I missing?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

BSF21 wrote:It's not that it's bad, I just don't want to go watch a bunch of people dick around on a computer for an hour and call it a concert.
Yeah those are the "bands" that I'll listen to but will rarely pay to see live. Jumping around and going apeshit when all you did was press a button or turn the modulator dial just doesn't jive with me.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I thought El Ten Eleven is kind of an exception to that rule. I've only seen them a couple of times, but don't they mostly use live instruments? I know they have a guitarist and a drummer at least.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Chavez is back! (New EP released this week with a possible LP on the way.)
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote:I thought El Ten Eleven is kind of an exception to that rule. I've only seen them a couple of times, but don't they mostly use live instruments? I know they have a guitarist and a drummer at least.
Yea I think they did. It was still all ambient with no lyrics and whatnot. Just not what I had thought of when I saw guys with guitars get on stage.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote:
brian wrote:I thought El Ten Eleven is kind of an exception to that rule. I've only seen them a couple of times, but don't they mostly use live instruments? I know they have a guitarist and a drummer at least.
Yea I think they did. It was still all ambient with no lyrics and whatnot. Just not what I had thought of when I saw guys with guitars get on stage.
I've seen both El Ten Eleven and Explosions in the Sky, and I agree. I enjoy their stuff, but watching them play wasn't that entertaining.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Trying new things and exploring new sounds is overrated and stupid. First 10 seconds of the new Real Estate song assures me it still sounds like Real Estate and I really like Real Estate.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I've never listed to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, but I really really dig their new single "Fireproof". 2017 is off to an awesome start already.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You know bands that you're sure have already made your favorite stuff by them? That's where I slot CYHSY. I'm content with what they did on their first two albums being the only ones in their library.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote:You know bands that you're sure have already made your favorite stuff by them? That's where I slot CYHSY. I'm content with what they did on their first two albums being the only ones in their library.
Maybe one of the secrets to my more welcoming view of artists' later material is that most of them I never got into when they made their classics. I didn't even really get into DMB until right before their 3rd album came out.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote:
mister d wrote:You know bands that you're sure have already made your favorite stuff by them? That's where I slot CYHSY. I'm content with what they did on their first two albums being the only ones in their library.
Maybe one of the secrets to my more welcoming view of artists' later material is that most of them I never got into when they made their classics. I didn't even really get into DMB until right before their 3rd album came out.
The first CYHSY is an all-timer for me. You're in for a treat, Giff.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote:
Giff wrote:
The first CYHSY is an all-timer for me. You're in for a treat, Giff.
Your avatar with this post makes me laugh.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Celebration Rock was my #1 album of 2012 and the race for my personal favorite album of 2017 may very well already be over.

Finally, a new Japandroids album.

Three A+ albums to their credit now.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

In a related story, I decided "fuck it" & bought tickets to their show in San Diego on March 11 with Craig Finn. The wife won't be happy but better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:In a related story, I decided "fuck it" & bought tickets to their show in San Diego on March 11 with Craig Finn. The wife won't be happy but better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
I'm about to do the same with Ryan Adams in New Orleans in March.

Japandroids first single off that album is so fucking good.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote:Celebration Rock was my #1 album of 2012 and the race for my personal favorite album of 2017 may very well already be over.

Speaking of bands that are perfectly fine sounding like themselves without change.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:
brian wrote:Celebration Rock was my #1 album of 2012 and the race for my personal favorite album of 2017 may very well already be over.

Speaking of bands that are perfectly fine sounding like themselves without change.

I listened to the new one on NPR today. Strong.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I really fucking love this verse for some reason (adding chorus):
It was last call at my local
And I stalled saying goodbye
So the girl behind the bar came over
And she took me aside
She kissed me like a chorus, said
“Give 'em hell for us
The last drink of the night, last night in town
Baby, this one is on the house”

And it got me all fired up
To go far away
And make some music from the sound of my singing, baby
(Oh oh, oh oh)
And it got me all fired up
To go far away
And make some music from the sound of my singing, baby
(Oh oh, oh oh)
So I left my home
And all I had
I used to be good but now I'm bad
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I doubt I'll listen to a song more this year than No Known Drink or Drug. Kinda what Mr. D was saying -- you have to appreciate a band having a sound, playing straight-forward rock and roll and not apologizing for it. It's not exactly breaking new ground, but there's a reason why bands like Japandroids and The Hold Steady are so fucking awesome. Sometimes you want to go to a show and just raise your fist in the air.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its a bigger discussion, but I don't understand why the average fan would want a band to change. I can listen to 1,000 different bands, I don't need The National or Japandroids or whoever to sound like more than themselves given that I like old them and might not like new them.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I don't disagree with you guys and I fully see your points. I wouldn't criticize guys for sticking with what is great for them. But as just a bit of a counterpoint, it is also interesting to see a band stretch their wings, try new things, and grow. I'm glad the Beatles didn't stick to just doing songs in the vein of Hard Days Night.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fair point. Exception granted for the Beatles.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Guided By Voices album and tour announced for April. It will be Robert Pollard's 100th LP since 1986 counting GBV, his solo albums and his side projects.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote:I doubt I'll listen to a song more this year than No Known Drink or Drug. Kinda what Mr. D was saying -- you have to appreciate a band having a sound, playing straight-forward rock and roll and not apologizing for it. It's not exactly breaking new ground, but there's a reason why bands like Japandroids and The Hold Steady are so fucking awesome. Sometimes you want to go to a show and just raise your fist in the air.

Check out this one by Sorority Noise:

JITM played it the other day, and then came on and said "Wow...that was so good I'm playing it again". And then he did.

Excited for the download of the new Japandroids tomorrow. The first 2 singles are great.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, that's a good song. They made my little "bands to look into" file earlier this week.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Looks like Happyness and Soviet Soviet are the only other two on that list so far. Opinions?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Thirded. That's a good song. Thanks for posting. Hadn't heard it.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Japandroids did not disappoint. The new Cloud Nothings is nice too.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I enjoyed both the songs from Japandroids and Sorority Noise posted above. I wish I knew about more bands like this. Even our local independent station continues to go more and more mainstream. I've got no outlet to discover bands like this without really seeking them out.

Am I crazy or does that Sorority Noise track sound heavily influenced by Brand New?

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Go listen to the whole Japandroids album on npr.

It's not Friday vinyl, of course...
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote:Go listen to the whole Japandroids album on npr.

YOU WILL ENJOY MY FRIDAY VINYL POSTS.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

BSF21 wrote:
A_B wrote:Go listen to the whole Japandroids album on npr.

YOU WILL ENJOY MY FRIDAY VINYL POSTS.
I do.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

BSF21 wrote:I enjoyed both the songs from Japandroids and Sorority Noise posted above. I wish I knew about more bands like this. Even our local independent station continues to go more and more mainstream. I've got no outlet to discover bands like this without really seeking them out.
The only way I know about new music is via KEXP (www.kexp.org). Only radio station I listen to, except for when my kids are in the car and insist on listening to the awful pop music station.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Same. My odds of finding any music outside of KEXP is close to nil. Works for me.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

BSF21 wrote:I've got no outlet to discover bands like this without really seeking them out.
Spotify or Pandora?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

This is going to be unpopular, but I'm not that impressed with the Japandroids record. It's not bad, but it's not grabbing me like it's grabbing you guys.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't think that's weird. I wouldn't even call myself a fan, I just enjoy them at very particular times for exactly what they are.