Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:44 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:43 am We had our windows replaced last week. Probably worth the whole cost to never have to deal with the old screens again.
New windows did wonders for our HVAC efficiency at our previous house. Cut like 20% off power bill from day 1.
Yeah, I'm sure there will be a noticeable difference on the utility bill. We had a similar change when we had the "expanding foam" sprayed in the basement and attic several years ago.
HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:49 am Jealous about the windows. They say some 20 weeks for a sliding door from the window installation companies.
When we signed the contract, the expectation was that we would be getting the windows in late September/early October, but they had some jobs they were installing about four weeks ahead of schedule at that time. It was a pretty big surprise when they called to let us know when they would be coming.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I was shocked at how fast professionals can replace windows.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:01 am
A_B wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:35 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:18 am Well boys, sometimes it pays to procrastinate! My driveway is mess, was beyond needing to be repaved before I moved in. Got estimates and planned on doing it in the Spring, but glad I didn't. Gas company is replacing all the lines in my neighborhood. Week 4 of digging up my street and repaving every day to replace the lines, now they are connecting the street line to every house. They have to excavate my driveway to get to the connection. If I had just repaved, I would have been so pissed. Feel bad for the guy across the street, they had to dig up a bed of bushes in front of his house and drove the backhoe all over his front lawn.
So they have to pay to have your driveway redone after? If so, that's fortuitous indeed.
Hell no. They are having a contractor come out to patch the area they dig up, so I'll have a large square a completely different from the rest of the driveway. But now I can have that ripped up with the rest of the driveway redone. I'd be pissed if I had a new driveway and a chunk ripped out and patched. I'm sure whatever the contractor does won't look good and will be done as cheap and sloppy as possible.
Turns out the gas line connects to the house line on the other side of my driveway, so I have a 3 foot x 3 foot dirt mound on my lawn.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Heyyyyyyyyyyy, batter, batter, batter... ive got one of those. Need to dig it up when we get some good rain.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

it's not a repair, but ... anyone got any tips on how to get the smell of dog piss out of a couch cushion before I call the professionals? or should I just skip the first step and call anyway
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

All I could think of is to wash with upholstery cleaner several times, then use the febreeze odor eliminator liberally for a few days.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Are the enzyme sprays not working?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

What misterd said. Those worked on cat piss in my grandma's apartment, and cat piss is worse than dog piss IMO.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

cat piss is worse than a decaying animal. :lol:
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Cat piss is the worst.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:15 am All I could think of is to wash with upholstery cleaner several times, then use the febreeze odor eliminator liberally for a few days.
it got into the foam cushion part of it unfortunately. and we didn't notice until we woke up + half the cushion is attached to the cover. we've rented a steam cleaner, used nature's miracle, angry orange and febreeze. it's not pungent, but it's there (I have a hard time smelling it but L says it's noticeable)

we bought the warranty, but since there's no stain, they won't cover it to come out and clean it
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:48 am
A_B wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:15 am All I could think of is to wash with upholstery cleaner several times, then use the febreeze odor eliminator liberally for a few days.
it got into the foam cushion part of it unfortunately. and we didn't notice until we woke up + half the cushion is attached to the cover. we've rented a steam cleaner, used nature's miracle, angry orange and febreeze. it's not pungent, but it's there (I have a hard time smelling it but L says it's noticeable)

we bought the warranty, but since there's no stain, they won't cover it to come out and clean it
Spill some coffee on it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

would be a great idea if I hadn't already sent pics yesterday and tried to file a claim!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

nm- Duplicate because I’m a moron
Last edited by GoodKarma on Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Same as above…see below
Last edited by GoodKarma on Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What am I, 12?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:14 am it's not a repair, but ... anyone got any tips on how to get the smell of dog piss out of a couch cushion before I call the professionals? or should I just skip the first step and call anyway
Try mixing water & vinegar 1:1 and add some baking soda and applying to the affected area. It’s been a while for me but you should be able to find exact ratios online.
What am I, 12?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

GoodKarma wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:50 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:14 am it's not a repair, but ... anyone got any tips on how to get the smell of dog piss out of a couch cushion before I call the professionals? or should I just skip the first step and call anyway
Try mixing water & vinegar 1:1 and add some baking soda and applying to the affected area. It’s been a while for me but you should be able to find exact ratios online.
I read this as the pug giving bronto instructions.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

duff wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:56 pm
GoodKarma wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:50 pm
I read this as the pug giving bronto instructions.
That would have made more sense and GK should have leaned into it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We've got two 17 year old cats and one of them occasionally pisses in random non-litterbox locations. I think he's senile. Love him but I'm ready to turn out the lights on him, but my wife doesn't want to.

Anyway, the best thing we've found is the spray/liquid called Nature's Miracle. You can get it at PetSmart.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Damn pug can’t even post and you’re gonna take its advice on homemade remedies??
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Noli Timere Messorem
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I was just trying to pad my post count.

Baking soda and vinegar are also the ingredients for the classic junior high science fair volcano so I could be confusing homemade concoctions.
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:06 am I was just trying to pad my post count.

Baking soda and vinegar are also the ingredients for the classic junior high science fair volcano so I could be confusing homemade concoctions.
That might be covered under the warranty though!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I attempted to change out the hardware in a 2 piece toilet this weekend and learned you can over-tighten a bolt and break the entire fucking toilet.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:59 am I attempted to change out the hardware in a 2 piece toilet this weekend and learned you can over-tighten a bolt and break the entire fucking toilet.
Yuuuup. Been there!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Look at these tough guys.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Look at these tough guys.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I bet you wouldn't say that to my face AGAIN!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Lug nuts: What we do and what we use
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

no idea why the people who redid this house built a closet with a closet rod holder *not* installed in a stud but oh boy this has been a fun afternoon after hearing a giant crash

at least the brace didn't go through the bathroom tile on the other side

eta: we are getting bids on the dog pee thing. I want to just soak the cushion in water and vinegar but that won't go over well i don't think
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Can't spell "dog piss out of a couch cushion" without "douche"!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:41 pm eta: we are getting bids on the dog pee thing. I want to just soak the cushion in water and vinegar but that won't go over well i don't think
Try the Nature's Miracle spray.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Anyone ever done a fence/deck rail? Our back deck needs the rail replaced, and I'm thinking about doing the "wire cable" for the between-the-posts part..like this:

Wondering how much headache/pain I'm setting myself up for...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:41 pmeta: we are getting bids on the dog pee thing.
I can't quite put my finger on why I find this so funny. Like I'm picturing 150 page proposal binders and executive committees sweating out the decision.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:36 pm Anyone ever done a fence/deck rail? Our back deck needs the rail replaced, and I'm thinking about doing the "wire cable" for the between-the-posts part..like this:

<snip>

That shit would have freaked me out in new dad mode, but if there won’t be any little kids (or dogs?) around it looks cool.

When we had the small deck off the back of my oldest’s room redone last summer we just went with a nice black aluminum railing, vertical bars.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The cables can also be run vertically so it's not a kid ladder.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:36 pm Anyone ever done a fence/deck rail? Our back deck needs the rail replaced, and I'm thinking about doing the "wire cable" for the between-the-posts part..like this:

Speaking as a home inspector, I cringe whenever I see that kind of railing on a deck. Horizontal balusters on a deck are a potential danger to children (and drunks) since they could climb it like a ladder and go over the railing. I strongly recommend vertical balusters at all times. And make sure they're spaced no more than 4 inches apart.

ETA: Damn you, PDX!
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:02 pm Can't spell "dog piss out of a couch cushion" without "douche"!
E-Rass.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So we woke up today to basically zero water pressure throughout the house. We just had our water heater replaced, and while they were down there, I had them install a home water filtration system. But the filter in that thing is barely a month old. Is that what happens when you need to replace a filter? The pressure just goes to crap? There's zero evidence of water on the floor in the basement. I've asked the people on either side of us (row houses) if they're experiencing a drop in water pressure (not heard back yet), so I'm left to think its:

1) The pipe leading to the house from the water meter is ruptured.
2) Something went wrong with the newly installed equipment, and a failsafe kicked in to minimize water flow.
3) It's a neighborhood thing.
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:51 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:41 pmeta: we are getting bids on the dog pee thing.
I can't quite put my finger on why I find this so funny. Like I'm picturing 150 page proposal binders and executive committees sweating out the decision.
well if I can save $50 I will dammit!