2016 NFL Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: 2016 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by brian »

Just saying I'm not crying any tears for the Broncos front office screwing the pooch.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

At least it wasn't a fax machine!

and they do like their kid from Northwestern, he off all of -2 yards passing in the NFL. Losing their 2 lead backs most likely as well...I guess we really get to see how good that D is.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Marvin Jones is going to make you all happy in Detroit, brian. Really good guy, and a really excellent receiver.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote:Marvin Jones is going to make you all happy in Detroit, brian. Really good guy, and a really excellent receiver.
Nice to hear that. I've heard he's got good character. Haven't seen enough Bengals games to form an opinion about his play. If Ebron can take a step forward this year, Lions receiving corps isn't as hopeless as many people would think. Tate is still young, durable and capable. I expect they'll take a WR in the first three rounds. They use Theo Riddick as a de-facto slot receiver. I think they'll be OK. You can't replace Megatron, but they're making the right moves so far.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Alex Mack to the Falcons.

Guess he got tired of the rebuilding process...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pretty crazy

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote:Pretty crazy

That's a bit of a self-fulfilling thing, though. Those teams HAVE to overpay to get anyone to come. Now, that's not saying they have overpaid for the right players, obviously.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote:Colin Kaepernick?
According to Ian Rappaport, that's their plan.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote:
tennbengal wrote:Marvin Jones is going to make you all happy in Detroit, brian. Really good guy, and a really excellent receiver.
Nice to hear that. I've heard he's got good character. Haven't seen enough Bengals games to form an opinion about his play. If Ebron can take a step forward this year, Lions receiving corps isn't as hopeless as many people would think. Tate is still young, durable and capable. I expect they'll take a WR in the first three rounds. They use Theo Riddick as a de-facto slot receiver. I think they'll be OK. You can't replace Megatron, but they're making the right moves so far.
He's very physical, great hands, and has made some unreal catches over the years. Really, really sorry to see him go.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Has anyone ever referred to him as Runnin' Forte or am I very clever when it comes to 90s rap + 10s sports tie-ins?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:Pretty crazy

That's a bit of a self-fulfilling thing, though. Those teams HAVE to overpay to get anyone to come. Now, that's not saying they have overpaid for the right players, obviously.
Jags and Browns, probably so..but TB and MI have been close to good the past 10 years. Eagles have been a playoff team. Washington franchise, their owner is an idiot.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote:Jags and Browns, probably so..but TB and MI have been close to good the past 10 years. Eagles have been a playoff team. Washington franchise, their owner is an idiot.
Tampa has averaged 5.8 wins over the last 10 seasons.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Miami has averaged 6.7 wins last 10 seasons.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:Jags and Browns, probably so..but TB and MI have been close to good the past 10 years. Eagles have been a playoff team. Washington franchise, their owner is an idiot.
Correct. Tampa fucking sucks, and has for quite a while. They've not been close to good since just after the Super Bowl season.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I said close to good. You can make the playoffs most years at 9-7 or so. FLA also doesn't have individual income tax. No tax, great weather, close to good team, it should be easier to attract FA.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote:
brian wrote:
Correct. Tampa fucking sucks, and has for quite a while. They've not been close to good since just after the Super Bowl season.
For reference the Lions -- supposedly poster children for bad football -- have averaged 5.7 wins per season over the last 10 years which includes a winless season and two-win season the following year.

Your definition of "close to good" apparently differs from mine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnny Carwash wrote:
and Forte to the Jets (I thought he wanted to contend :) )
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And what the hell kind of garbage straw man is Florida's income tax in a discussion of shitty free agent deals?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote:I said close to good. You can make the playoffs most years at 9-7 or so.
Tampa has three seasons of more than 7 wins in the last 10 years. They've not been close to good. If they've been close to good then every single team in the NFL has been close to good and the comparison is meaningless.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Kaepernick is intriguing. Shit the bed last season, but he was a starting QB on a Super Bowl team not too long ago, putting up better stats than either Manning or Osweiler did last season. But, SF doesn't have to sell low, if the rumored interest from the Jets and Rams is really also out there. Or, they could just tell Kap to shut up and play in SF, too.

I wonder if Jake Plummer is in shape?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:I said close to good. You can make the playoffs most years at 9-7 or so.
Tampa has three seasons of more than 7 wins in the last 10 years. They've not been close to good. If they've been close to good then every single team in the NFL has been close to good and the comparison is meaningless.

and one of those years they were 10-6, which typically gets you a WC, a mark for a pretty team, no? They happened to have been 3rd in the division.

So what about the Dolphins? Going to nit pick the shit out of that comment to? Or does a whole bunch of second place finishes to one of the best teams in football over the past ten years mean they weren't any good either?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote:
brian wrote:

and one of those years they were 10-6, which typically gets you a WC, a mark for a pretty team, no? They happened to have been 3rd in the division.

So what about the Dolphins? Going to nit pick the shit out of that comment to? Or does a whole bunch of second place finishes to one of the best teams in football over the past ten years mean they weren't any good either?
They've averaged 6.7 wins a year like I said. They've not been close to good either.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote:
brian wrote:

Miami has finished higher than 3rd in the AFCE exactly TWICE in the last 10 years (1 1st and 1 2nd). Do you even watch football?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote:Kaepernick is intriguing. Shit the bed last season, but he was a starting QB on a Super Bowl team not too long ago, putting up better stats than either Manning or Osweiler did last season. But, SF doesn't have to sell low, if the rumored interest from the Jets and Rams is really also out there. Or, they could just tell Kap to shut up and play in SF, too.

I wonder if Jake Plummer is in shape?
No Tebow?

I wonder who else the Broncos would lose taking up Kaeps salary (12 mil this year, 15.5 next) Got rid of Daniels yesterday, mean they can't resign Ware?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote: Miami has finished higher than 3rd in the AFCE exactly TWICE in the last 10 years (1 1st and 1 2nd). Do you even watch football?
Nope, never.

What's your definition of close to good then? 10+ wins every year I suppose.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote:
brian wrote: Miami has finished higher than 3rd in the AFCE exactly TWICE in the last 10 years (1 1st and 1 2nd). Do you even watch football?
Nope, never.

What's your definition of close to good then? 10+ wins every year I suppose.
At least averaging within a half-game of 8 wins a season over a 10 year period. So 7.5 wins or higher. Even that might be on the low side, but you get the idea.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rush2112 wrote:What's your definition of close to good then? 10+ wins every year I suppose.
What's your definition of "a whole bunch"?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote:No Tebow?
Last edited by sancarlos on Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote:
At least averaging within a half-game of 8 wins a season over a 10 year period. So 7.5 wins or higher. Even that might be on the low side, but you get the idea.
So Miami at 6.7 is "close to good" is it not? (.8 games rather than .5) Tampa has been off this, but they've had spikes and falls more than the average team perhaps that's what led to my original comment.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:No Tebow?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote:
brian wrote:
So Miami at 6.7 is "close to good" is it not? (.8 games rather than .5) Tampa has been off this, but they've had spikes and falls more than the average team perhaps that's what led to my original comment.
They haven't. They just haven't. Tampa has only three seasons that could even be characterized as "good" in the last 10. They won 9, 9 and 10 games in those seasons. They've made the playoffs once in the last 10 years; that's one less than the Lions. They've not been "close to good". Again, if Tampa has been "close to good" then every single goddamn team in the NFL has been close to good. I don't see how this is arguable.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Even the resident Tampa fan has said they haven't been close to good.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote:
They haven't. They just haven't. Tampa has only three seasons that could even be characterized as "good" in the last 10. They won 9, 9 and 10 games in those seasons. They've made the playoffs once in the last 10 years; that's one less than the Lions. They've not been "close to good". Again, if Tampa has been "close to good" then every single goddamn team in the NFL has been close to good. I don't see how this is arguable.
Tampa has been off this, but they've had spikes and falls more than the average team perhaps that's what led to my original comment.

(also they probably would have made the playoffs more than once, that 10 win season they were in third in their division, not often that there are three 10 or more win teams in a division.)
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:Let's take a top player. Ben Roethlisberger has a $5 million roster bonus in 2018.

He also has a $12 mil base salary. If the team pays your roster bonus, they are keeping you on the roster, obviously. So he'd give up $12 mil in base salary assuming the team can't just take the roster bonus back.
Is it no longer (was it never?) a thing where contracts would have pretty high roster bonuses over the first two seasons of like a six year deal, basically enticing the guy to sign by offering a ton of cash up front? Why did I think that was a thing?

Probably because a "big" roster bonus in the NFL isn't big relative to numbers in other sports. I think they are mostly used for cap/accounting purposes when it comes to guarantees.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote:

Jones is a poor man's Martavis Bryant, IMO. With a bigger role, who knows. He's one of those athletic strider types.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

govmentchedda wrote:
brian wrote:

I like their roster. I think they have a good team in them.

EDIT: The reason players don't flock to them in addition to the teams generally sucking is that Florida sucks and the organizations are complete shit. I think the players rate structure pretty highly.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
brian wrote:
For reference the Lions -- supposedly poster children for bad football -- have averaged 5.7 wins per season over the last 10 years which includes a winless season and two-win season the following year.

I would take Tampa's current roster over every Lions roster over that stretch except maybe 1 or 2. I do think they have a good amount of talent.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gunpowder wrote:
brian wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
brian wrote:

I would take Tampa's current roster over every Lions roster over that stretch except maybe 1 or 2. I do think they have a good amount of talent.
Be that as it may that was never the point. Go back to AB's comment about the correlation between teams that have spent heavily on free agents over the last 10 years and those teams' records.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Yeah, I was just commenting on Tampa. Going through the rest of the thread was hilarious.

Florida teams have been the most boring teams in the NFL through much of the past 10 years. I guess you can argue that's close to good, but I don't know just how close. Dolphins....always a bridesmaid, never a bride. Wait....once a bridesmaid, also once a bride.