The OFFICIAL 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Wilson, for the most part, has kept his shit in check this season.
Wilson is fucking garbage. If anyone ever starts a paralysis/death hit pool, he's a peak Marshall Faulk 1-1.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Generally I find the national broadcast to be just a much higher quality production than the local coverage. However, watching NBCSN last night was annoying. The local broadcast team on Comcast Sportsnet Joe Beninati,Craig Laughlin and Smokin' Al Koken do a fine job. However, I don't care too much about that side. What drove me nuts was the director and camera position. Way worse than the Comcast setup. The angles they used for the cameras just cut off too much of the rink and stick handling. And the director just had terrible sense. Picking bad times to go close up or down the ice view or the hand camera guy in the corners. Just stupid. I am pretty sure they almost missed the Caps 2nd goal coming out of the commercial break as they were talking.

At least the good guys won and nice job by the officials to be in a place to make the right call in O.T.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Wilson, for the most part, has kept his shit in check this season.
Wilson is fucking garbage. If anyone ever starts a paralysis/death hit pool, he's a peak Marshall Faulk 1-1.

I'm sure I'd feel the same way if he was on another team. That said, the thing about 2016 Wilson is that he is actually being a productive member of Capitals society. He's got a career high in points and just in general, he's not taking nearly as many "dumb" penalties.

But, again, he's an annoying fucker, I get that.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He's not "an annoying fucker", that's like Burrows or Avery. He's a legit, intentional danger to every player he faces. He tied for the league lead in unsportsmanlike conducts. He tied for the league lead in boarding majors. Last year he led the league in boarding majors. Those don't count plays like last night's knee and the other open ice runs he's taken. He's not a love-em-or-hate-em guy, he's garbage and if he doesn't stop being garbage, someone's career will be ruined.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Orpik took his 3 game suspension better than Trotz, he somehow intimated the league came down heavier on him because of "who we are playing."

How about we not concuss players well after the puck is gone? Only small point Orpik made is to hope punishment is doled out even-handedly going forward.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So prescient.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I bet the Tang gets less games than Orpik. Less time between puck leaving and hit arriving, and there's a small chance he hit his chest at the same time as the head. 2 games.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

dumbdumbdumbdumbdumbdumbdumb...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Me, or the hit?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The hit.

(this time)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It looked real bad on my first viewing, and then one angle seems to make it look like the head snap is not due to contact with the head, but rather, the head reacting to the body hit. It's a close call, and a stupid hit.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hot Carl.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

What is that sound the puck makes when it hits the pipes - leTANG!
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote:It looked real bad on my first viewing, and then one angle seems to make it look like the head snap is not due to contact with the head, but rather, the head reacting to the body hit. It's a close call, and a stupid hit.
Nah, dude. Shoulder right into his face. Not as bad as Orpik but he'll get a game.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:It looked real bad on my first viewing, and then one angle seems to make it look like the head snap is not due to contact with the head, but rather, the head reacting to the body hit. It's a close call, and a stupid hit.
Nah, dude. Shoulder right into his face. Not as bad as Orpik but he'll get a game.
9/10 in similarity to Orpik. Ought to be 3.

Launched, targeted, was 2 seconds behind the puck.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote:dumbdumbdumbdumbdumbdumbdumb...
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I honestly don't see how you can look at the two plays and debate that they are the same. And Orpik wasn't saying the other day that all punishment should be equal, just that a headshot like Letang's should be punished accordingly.

But god dammit was the NBC crew obnoxious on that. Don't start pulling shit out of your ass about "might've hit his chest first" until you've actually seen the replay. There's not debating that hit, just do what they started to do after replays and say "the league will look at that" and move the fuck on. That's part of the problem we've discussed here before, the announcers feel some weird need to protect the league's image or something. Cut that shit out.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The other thing that needs to be clarified... The act of "leaving the ice" is not, in and of itself, an indictment of a player delivering a dirty blow. The issue is when you leave the ice. Many checks, the dude is gonna get off the ice, it's a matter of when... if you are airborne when you hit someone, that's a penalty and possible suspension. If you leave the ice after the blow, as long as you aren't targeting, that's fine.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Nonlinear FC wrote:The other thing that needs to be clarified... The act of "leaving the ice" is not, in and of itself, an indictment of a player delivering a dirty blow. The issue is when you leave the ice. Many checks, the dude is gonna get off the ice, it's a matter of when... if you are airborne when you hit someone, that's a penalty and possible suspension. If you leave the ice after the blow, as long as you aren't targeting, that's fine.
I understand but I disagree in this instance. He left the ice because he went through the guy's head area.

The issue here for me is that he clearly had time to pull up. The puck was well away from him. I don't care if it's .6 or 1.01 or whatever. Letang looked and had the option not to hit him and went high. I really don't see a 66% difference in the Orpik hit and this one. And Letang has a prior.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BSF21 wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:The other thing that needs to be clarified... The act of "leaving the ice" is not, in and of itself, an indictment of a player delivering a dirty blow. The issue is when you leave the ice. Many checks, the dude is gonna get off the ice, it's a matter of when... if you are airborne when you hit someone, that's a penalty and possible suspension. If you leave the ice after the blow, as long as you aren't targeting, that's fine.
I understand but I disagree in this instance. He left the ice because he went through the guy's head area.

The issue here for me is that he clearly had time to pull up. The puck was well away from him. I don't care if it's .6 or 1.01 or whatever. Letang looked and had the option not to hit him and went high. I really don't see a 66% difference in the Orpik hit and this one. And Letang has a prior.

Yeah, we're mostly on the same page. It was a shitty hit and deserved a game, maybe 2. But Orpik's was worse just on the timing issue alone. And then the league looks at the result, which I think is bullshit but that's tilting at windmills at this point.

A shitty hit should be punished harshly, then you can tack on additional harshness when the result is an injured player. Dude that ran Orlov should DEFINITELY have sat down for 3 games. The fact that he shook it off... I'm of the opinion he hasn't been the same player since. He was a fucking nightmare the other night to the point that he got benched... This was a guy that was absolutely flying around the ice earlier in the Flyers series.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Wow. Speaking of headshots behind the play... Just saw the Boyle OT winner from last night. WTF are the refs looking at there?

That's an ugly play, and that it resulted in a game winner really highlights the whole thing.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Wow. Speaking of headshots behind the play... Just saw the Boyle OT winner from last night. WTF are the refs looking at there?

That's an ugly play, and that it resulted in a game winner really highlights the whole thing.
I'm not ready to call that a head shot. It's definitely close, but it seems like contact was in the chest/shoulder and not the head.

Additionally, Hickey exploding Drouin earlier in the game was a legal headshot. Absolutely nothing wrong with that hit. Drouin skated right into that one, and paid a heavy price.

How do I embed a .gif? I've got one re: the Boyle hit.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I've seen a .gif on Deadspin that makes it pretty clear he swerved over and drilled him with his shoulder right on dude's chin. You see his head snap sideways. There's no way, given body positions, that he hit him primarily in the chest there.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote:I've seen a .gif on Deadspin that makes it pretty clear he swerved over and drilled him with his shoulder right on dude's chin. You see his head snap sideways. There's no way, given body positions, that he hit him primarily in the chest there.

That one's too fast.

Go here. https://twitter.com/myregularface/statu ... 7610570754
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, I'd say late but not a headshot.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Definitely not a slam dunk Orpik/Letang type of deal, I'll give you that. I'll leave it at borderline... and only the Islander guy knows whether he cost his team with embellishment, or he just got lit up and wtf are you gonna do.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Definitely not a slam dunk Orpik/Letang type of deal, I'll give you that. I'll leave it at borderline... and only the Islander guy knows whether he cost his team with embellishment, or he just got lit up and wtf are you gonna do.
I'd say a bit of both on this one. Goes back to what I was saying earlier. There's "finishing your check", which means against the boards to keep a guy from moving the puck up the boards and outhustling you. There's no "finishing your check" in open ice. He knew the puck was gone and chose to charge the guy. It might not be a blatant to the head, but that's a 2 minute charge all day in my book.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Definitely not a slam dunk Orpik/Letang type of deal, I'll give you that. I'll leave it at borderline... and only the Islander guy knows whether he cost his team with embellishment, or he just got lit up and wtf are you gonna do.
I'm 100% fine with calling it borderline. The game was chock full of borderline, and late hits. In fact, that may have been the most exciting game I've seen all playoffs. Lots of goals, tons of hits, pretty even score throughout. It was nice to see both Drouin and Boyle get some revenge after Drouin's huge hit from Hickey. Hamonic also started shit pregame with Boyle. That Boyle's hit was on Hickey made it even sweeter.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote:
I'd say a bit of both on this one. Goes back to what I was saying earlier. There's "finishing your check", which means against the boards to keep a guy from moving the puck up the boards and outhustling you. There's no "finishing your check" in open ice. He knew the puck was gone and chose to charge the guy. It might not be a blatant to the head, but that's a 2 minute charge all day in my book.
If that's a charge, what's Cizikas hit on Condra in game 1?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote:
A) He initiates contact while the TBL player actually has the puck.
B) Seems to be a tougher call because the TBL player is already moving backwards and seems to be on his heels when the check is initiated
C) It's probably still a 2 minute cross check, but that's not a charge as I see it, no strides taken to get to the other player, NYI guy is gliding the whole way.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
A) He initiates contact while the TBL player actually has the puck.
B) Seems to be a tougher call because the TBL player is already moving backwards and seems to be on his heels when the check is initiated
C) It's probably still a 2 minute cross check, but that's not a charge as I see it, no strides taken to get to the other player, NYI guy is gliding the whole way.
I'm ok with that as well. The hit happened in my corner, and it felt more like an unlucky outcome than a penalty.

I guess my issue with the complaints about the Boyle hit on Hickey are that there were a million of those all game, and this one happened to lead to the game winner, so it's being dissected more than any of the other, similar hits throughout the game.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

No hearing for Boyle or Hickey.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I have zero objectivity when it comes to Boyle(r!) but that looked like fishing (pun) for a call a lot more than a headshot. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, but the views I've seen all looked lower than head.

(PS ILY Brian!!!)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:I have zero objectivity when it comes to Boyle(r!) but that looked like fishing (pun) for a call a lot more than a headshot. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, but the views I've seen all looked lower than head.

(PS ILY Brian!!!)
He remembers you, but he likes me better.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

horny
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Hitchcock and Ruff are the two most unique looking coaches in the league. someone should make a cartoon of them. just the name 'hitchcock and ruff' sounds good. go Dallas!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Damn, this Sharks/Predators game is going to go all night. Going to triple OT as I write this. Actually the game should be over, but San Jose got screwed by the officials, Pavelski got crosschecked by Nashville into the goalie Rinne, then scored from his chest. But it got waived off for goalie interference, despite the fact that Nashville caused it. Augh!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Thats hockeys problem sancarlos.

That goal probably gets reversed in the first period. In overtime? No way.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..