The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by mister d »

First concert ticket purchases in over two years, though I'm hoping its not my first concert back since its not until July of next year.

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Which artist??
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Huh, I thought I put that but I guess I was too busy making a 15 year old movie joke.

Beach House, Kings Theatre in Brooklyn. Beach House might be the one big-ish artist I like that I don't know anyone else who does in real life so I'm banking on a certain spouse of mine to be so excited to be out / listening to music to not care.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

They're loud live
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They sound it on the concerts I'll find on Youtube, in a very Antlers-y "wow, didn't expect that" way. I'm not totally fired up to see them tour off a (large) new album but I'm also at the age where I should probably go see any band I want to but haven't as soon as I can.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:11 pm They sound it on the concerts I'll find on Youtube, in a very Antlers-y "wow, didn't expect that" way. I'm not totally fired up to see them tour off a (large) new album but I'm also at the age where I should probably go see any band I want to but haven't as soon as I can.
This is how I feel about Waxahatchee. While I really like St. Cloud, I want to hear stuff from Cerulean Salt and Out in the Storm, but I don't think she's playing the old stuff that much anymore.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We saw Modest Mouse at the KEXP Smooch benefit last weekend, and the KILLED. Never seen them before, and they were fantastic. They played all of their 'Lonesome Crowded West' album, except for 'Lounge' (they said it was too hard to play live).

And the opener was a local Soul/RB singer named Shaina Shepherd. Remember that name...I'm thinking she could be big. She was great.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The stop on every summer tour immediately before or after Blossom south of Cleveland.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My "post"-pandemic internal pledge to go see more bands I like but don't love is running into an "are there any better bands around that time" buzzsaw.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Going to see The War On Drugs for the first time this weekend. I wish the event page on FB would stop posting about it because each time I open the page with one eye expecting to read it's been canceled.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:55 pm Going to see The War On Drugs for the first time this weekend. I wish the event page on FB would stop posting about it because each time I open the page with one eye expecting to read it's been canceled.
Enjoy! They're fantastic live. The new album is growing on me.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Speaking of, I realized I may have blended them and Tame Impala in my head.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:48 pm
Giff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:55 pm Going to see The War On Drugs for the first time this weekend. I wish the event page on FB would stop posting about it because each time I open the page with one eye expecting to read it's been canceled.
Enjoy! They're fantastic live. The new album is growing on me.
I'm really looking forward to it. Will rival the Ryan Bingham/Son Volt/Old 97s show I saw a couple years ago in Luckenbach as the coldest show I'll ever attend.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:38 pm My "post"-pandemic internal pledge to go see more bands I like but don't love is running into an "are there any better bands around that time" buzzsaw.
Back to this ... anyone have any strong opinions on Spoon live for someone who appreciates Spoon but is hardly a superfan? And is maybe wary it'll be a new album tour?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Adele cancelling is a bummer, especially considering our tickets were 2 months out.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:10 am
mister d wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:38 pm My "post"-pandemic internal pledge to go see more bands I like but don't love is running into an "are there any better bands around that time" buzzsaw.
Back to this ... anyone have any strong opinions on Spoon live for someone who appreciates Spoon but is hardly a superfan? And is maybe wary it'll be a new album tour?
I've only seen them in a non-festival setting once and it was a great show. I wouldn't call myself a superfan, but I probably like them way more than you do. But my resolution is when I'm in the shoes you're in for this show, I'm going if the schedule/price works out.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Current hesitation is now both spousal apathy and the fact that even the seats are general admission. Might wait this one out and see if its going to be a full sellout or not.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

So I'm going old school this evening and waiting in line in person for tickets. Turnpike Troubadours just announced a new tour after reuniting, and the shows have been selling out quick. To avoid resellers grabbing all the seats, the venue is giving out 1600 wristbands that guarantee you a ticket as long as you buy by tomorrow morning. You get a wristband of certain color, then they'll provide those with that wristband a unique QR code to buy the tickets. I wasn't going to do it until a good immunocompromised friend of mine who I haven't seen since our last show together in February 2020 told me he might finally feel comfortable to go to another show by then.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We went to an old school supper club type of venue (Dimitriou's Jazz Alley) this past weekend to see War (a friend had a couple of extras and invited us). It was fun...kind of a perfect Sunday evening show. Seating was at 630, had drinks & dinner, they played at 7:30 and were done by 8:45. Vax cards were checked, and everyone was masked if you weren't at your table. They also had installed clear dividers between booths.

And they were pretty good, for a bunch of old geezers. No idea if there were any original band members beyond Lonnie Jordan, the lead singer/keyboard player, but they played all the songs you'd expect, and sounded great.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just bought tickets to see Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit next Sunday. Should be awesome.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Just bought The War on Drugs tix for October.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Seen him four times now and amazing each one.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:22 pm Seen him four times now and amazing each one.
Yeah, last time I saw him, the 400 Unit was really, really tight. Assuming and hoping the same even now post-COVID.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Godspeed this Saturday. Mask mandate lifted. 2 thumbs and stoked.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:46 pm Godspeed this Saturday. Mask mandate lifted. 2 thumbs and stoked.
Going to see Godspeed next Friday in Berkeley. That’s gonna be an awesome show too.

Just saw Sigur Ros is touring this spring too.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Seeing Isbell next week. Bought the tickets 2 years ago, and had completely forgot I had them until I got a reminder from TicketBastard.

Speaking of TicketBastard...totally splurged and got tickets to see Paul McCartney in May. They were expensive, but we spent a similar amount to see Elton John a few years ago, and it was totally worth it. And we've always kicked ourselves that we missed out on seeing Tom Petty before he died.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:19 pm Just bought The War on Drugs tix for October.
Tickets go on sale tomorrow for a show at Red Rocks on September 19 which I plan on attending.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I remain not sold on that band but I bet they would be really cool at Red Rocks.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:25 pm I remain not sold on that band but I bet they would be really cool at Red Rocks.
Just about any band is really cool at Red Rocks.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its bucket-list, for sure. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but it looks like a venue that could really elevate an atmospheric bands like them.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:26 am Just about any band is really cool at Red Rocks.
Truth. I’ve seen wildly different genres of music there, and was always great. From The Clash to Poco to Cracker/Gin Blossoms.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Easy pass for any of the goopy dubstep/bassnectar bullshit wook-fests.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw Jason Isbell last night. First time seeing him, and it was great. Great selection of tunes, including a couple of DBT ones and 2 from the 'Georgia Blue' album, including REM's 'Driver 8' which was great (probably my favorite REM song).

And then he closed by bringing out Mike McCready and playing 'Little Wing'. Fantastic.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice! No Amanda? The two times I've seen him she wasn't with him either.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:04 pm Nice! No Amanda? The two times I've seen him she wasn't with him either.
Nope...no Amanda. He did mention that their daughter was on tour with him, maybe Amanda was on kid duty.
serrano2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by serrano2 »

Giff wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:22 am Yeah, I'd like to see him too. Pretty Pimpin is such a good song.
It may be my Philly bias, but I feel like Kurt Vile should get more love in these parts.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

serrano2 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:35 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:22 am Yeah, I'd like to see him too. Pretty Pimpin is such a good song.
It may be my Philly bias, but I feel like Kurt Vile should get more love in these parts.
I've seen Kurt Vile a few times over the years. Great act. Are you familiar with Steve Gunn?
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

serrano2 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:35 pm
I'd love to see him. I'm more of a War on Drugs guy, but I definitely enjoy KV.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’ve got nothing against Kurt Vile, the artist. I like what I’ve heard.

But, I assume the cutesy name takeoff on Kurt Weill is deliberate? If so, kinda cheesy.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian