Super Bowl LVII

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Super Bowl LVII

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:18 pm I think Pat Tillman was almost definitely murdered by the US Army, because of the blatant coverup and the proximity of the shots but I can't for the life of me come up with a motive. Anyone got anything? I was thinking last night during that pregame BS to use as a recruiting tool but death is traditionally not a great motivation technique.
Isn’t the story that he was killed to stop him from publicly criticizing the war?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:55 pm
Jerloma wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:18 pm I think Pat Tillman was almost definitely murdered by the US Army, because of the blatant coverup and the proximity of the shots but I can't for the life of me come up with a motive. Anyone got anything? I was thinking last night during that pregame BS to use as a recruiting tool but death is traditionally not a great motivation technique.
Isn’t the story that he was killed to stop him from publicly criticizing the war?
I think it was this. He hated that he was used as propaganda for recruitment, kept a diary with a lot of incendiary remarks, and his career was monitored closely by higher ups in the Pentagon. Once deceased there was a significant cover up - including burning his uniforms and diary.

Now who called in the code red and who executed it? No idea. There was clearly no investigation into that.

But it's making me interested in getting the book Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakauer.

Also, I completely missed this tribute in the pre game. But I would've been rolling my eyes and making puke noises, so it's best I did miss it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Swamp has grown up. I seem to recall me and others bringing hell re: Tillman maybe was murdered.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:03 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:45 pm Doesn't Vegas also do the roll-in grass field for the Raiders, and use the turf field for UNLV and Pro Bowl Flag Football?
Yup. I should've said "up until the Las Vegas stadium opened."

From Wiki:

The stadium has a roll-in natural Bermuda grass field similar to the one at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona, which is primarily used for NFL games.[20] The main advantages of such a configuration is that it allows the natural playing surface to be exposed to natural sunlight when not in use and allows other events to be held at the facility without any risk of damage to the grass. Unlike the Arizona facility (which does not have a varsity tenant) Allegiant Stadium also has an artificial turf field, which is primarily used for college football games. This design was chosen because UNLV prefers to play on an artificial turf surface, and also due to concerns that use of the grass field by two teams would cause excessive wear to the playing surface. The artificial turf is placed directly on the stadium's concrete floor, and the tray holding the grass field is designed so that it can roll in and out without disrupting the turf underneath it.[21]

And we'll see if the 'God of Sod' fucks it up next year. Super Bowl 58 is in Las Vegas.
The god of sod said this was his last game. It was, whether he intended it that way or not.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

These guys (the podcast) are part of a pretty small group of experts in this field, so they were trying to defend the folks involved. The summary of that overly long and kind of mealy mouthed video:

* They do stuff to the surface to make it look good on TV, doesn't always help with the health of the sod.

* They overseeded (they suspect) with another type of seed to achieve a greener look. It probably choked out the special bermuda seeds.

* Temperature is actually an issue in Arizona. Folks like to think of it as arid and dry and hot. It gets down into the 40s and sometimes the 30s in January/February at night. There was something about the grass being moved in and outside and that maybe the health got affected with cold temps.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I assume this will my last grass related post.

Sorry, I assume a lot of you saw this from The Athletic, but I'm just seeing it today. Lots and lots of quotes re: the grass. Spoiler: it was the worst they'd ever seen at the NFL level /paraphrase, kinda.)

https://theathletic.com/4189395/2023/02 ... onditions/
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:51 pm
When I hit play, the sound continued but the screen jumped to Twitter with the video paused. I heard it all and didn’t realize it switched to Kenny Powers, I was shocked thinking it was still Mahomes talking. That’s amazing!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt