The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by howard »

My high school had an assembly, where Earl 'Fatha' Hines (wiki here) performed, he was about 70yo at the time. My dad didn't believe me when I told him at dinner. But we never had any of that rock and roll stuff.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sleater-Kinney is back out touring....playing here in Seattle in May.

And I got busy at work and missed the tickets going on sale. 2 shows...went on sale at 10am, were sold out by 230pm. Damn...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Sleater-Kinney is back out touring....playing here in Seattle in May.

And I got busy at work and missed the tickets going on sale. 2 shows...went on sale at 10am, were sold out by 230pm. Damn...
They'll never tour Florida, but if they do, I'm there.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

We had tickets to see Nick Lowe, Ian McLagan (Small Faces, Faces, Stones sessions in the 70s) and LosStraightjackets in a place that seats 300.

Two days prior, McLagen died. The show went on. And it was terrific.

One of several encores was a touching instrumental version of the Small Faces mid '60s hit "Itchycoo Park" with Stevie Marriott smoking the vocal, in tribute to the absent McLagan. I like this song now than back in the day. Awesome flanging.

DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

howard wrote:My high school had an assembly, where Earl 'Fatha' Hines (wiki here) performed, he was about 70yo at the time. My dad didn't believe me when I told him at dinner. But we never had any of that rock and roll stuff.
Must have been awesome. Hines was deservedly a legend. He played with everybody who was anybody in the jazz world and beyond, from Louis Armstrong before the Depression to a young Charlie Parker to Ry Cooder. I remember being mesmerized in the early 70s by a record (12" style) of Hines playing solo blues piano. I may try to find the cassette I made of that one.

My high school had no one close to as cool as Earl Hines. But we did have Roomful of Blues play a dance, and the Mahavishnu Orchestra play at the football field. The first was great. I foolishly passed on the second due to my purist disgust over jazz fusion.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

rass wrote:Saw the supposed second to last Allman Brothers Band show ever last night (got a ticket through a friend) ...
Nice review! I saw them in the 70s and never recovered. I compare every rock band to them, and it's a hard standard.

The post Dickey Betts band isn't exactly my cup of mushroom-laced tea. But they're still pretty good. No great 60s and 70s band that I can think of has survived into the 21st century with anything like this level of integrity, musicianship, and quality. The closest comparison is to the Duke Ellington band. Personnel changed over the years, but they were always terrific.

Haynes and Trucks aren't right there with Duane and Dickey. But they hold down the guitar fort on the old stuff, and do their own thing quite well. And for all he's been through, Gregg never lost his blues fastball. The Allman Brothers have always been a great band. If this is the end, then while they're not going out exactly at the Fillmore East top, they're going out somewhere in the vicinity.
Last edited by DC47 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Tonight's Nick Lowe/LosStraightjackets show from Boston:

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/nick-lowe
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Might have to pop my Red Rocks cherry for Mastodon and Clutch on 5/3.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

P.D.X. wrote:Might have to pop my Red Rocks cherry for Mastodon and Clutch on 5/3.
It's the best venue in America, though not exactly the place for slamming into like minded folks.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:Might have to pop my Red Rocks cherry for Mastodon and Clutch on 5/3.
It's the best venue in America, though not exactly the place for slamming into like minded folks.
old guy reminiscing warning
I saw The Clash at Red Rocks in about 1980 or so. I never knew there were so many mohawks in Colorado. Needless to say, there was copious slamming into like-minded folks. (Not including me, mind you. A segment of that audience was downright scary to a smalltown kid like me.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:
old guy reminiscing warning
I saw The Clash at Red Rocks in about 1980 or so. I never knew there were so many mohawks in Colorado. Needless to say, there was copious slamming into like-minded folks. (Not including me, mind you. A segment of that audience was downright scary to a smalltown kid like me.)
Red Rocks is a great venue....saw the Dead there a few times, saw UB40&Midnight Oil there once, and was there for the U2 show where they recorded "Under a Blood Red Sky"...
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I will be in the area in July, but no one scheduled yet. They'll have to be some really shitty bands for me not to go.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Avett Brothers, Wilco, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Strokes, Pixies, TV on the Radio, Jenny Lewis, Run the Jewels, Passion Pit, Ryan Adams, Modest Mouse, Gogol Bordello, Gaslight Anthem, Budos Band, Hiss Golden Mesenger, Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr., Mutemath, Trampled by Turtles.

All coming up this spring.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

GF and I saw Kishi Bashi this week. If you've never heard of him, check it out....hard to describe, but he's a classically trained violinist who does lots of looping and layering (ala Reggie Watts) while playing trippy pop music. And he plays with a banjo player (named Tall Tall Trees) who beat boxes on the drum part of the banjo and plays it with a violin bow and sometimes a hammer type thing.

We saw them at Bumbershoot where he had a drummer and guitarist, but this time he played with a string quartet. Trippy stuff, but super great.

Coming up later this spring...Caribou and Belle&Sebastian....
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Forgot...also coming up in June...Sufjan Stevens!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I presume that Ishi Bishi video is one of those hipster prank things?

Going back to my bootleg Byrds concert videos now.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Forgot...also coming up in June...Sufjan Stevens!
Ah, great to hear that surf music is making a comeback.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Giff wrote:I will be in the area in July, but no one scheduled yet. They'll have to be some really shitty bands for me not to go.
SCI at the tail end of my trip. Not my first or 10th pick, but would be happy to see them.

St. Paul and the Broken Bones on Friday. Sturgill Simpson and Wilco (two different shows) in April.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Love April around here because we get so many "spillover" Coachella shows. Already got tix to see Built To Spill and Sturgill Simpson this April.

Add Surfer Blood and Phantogram in February and a road trip in June to see Sufjan Stevens in LA and it's already a good first few months of the year even with missing Ryan Bingham/Lucero by ONE FUCKING HALF-DAY in New Orleans later this month.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm still a little bummed/pissed about that apparently.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Spillover is great. Jazz Fest and Bonaroo bring a lot to the south east.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: it's already a good first few months of the year even with missing Ryan Bingham/Lucero by ONE FUCKING HALF-DAY in New Orleans later this month.
I missed out on tickets here. Resale is triple face right now.

TV on the Radio announced for March!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw a cool concert the other night...bit of a stretch out of my usual edgy-punk stuff. Saw an electronica band Caribou. Cool show. Trippy light show. Made me wish I still took mushrooms.

The opener though...just some kid in a hoody playing samples off his MacBook. I said to my girlfriend that he looked like me at work. And that I want my musicians to play instruments, not play PERL scripts.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Gasparilla Music Festival was this past weekend. Modest Mouse headlined Saturday, with Gaslight Anthem right before them. I much preferred Gaslight Anthem. Yesterday saw Gogol Bordello headline, with Trampled by Turtles right before them. Gogol Bordello were fantastic live.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw Belle & Sebastian last night. Fun show. You could tell that Stuart Murdoch was totally psyched to be playing to a large, enthusiastic crowd.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sturgill Simpson this past weekend at Stubb's in Austin. My favorite venue and Stu did not disappoint. Wilco later this month.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Strongly considering hitting up Forecastle for the Saturday lineup this year:

Sturgill Simpson
My Morning Jacket
Shovels and Rope

and would give The War on Drugs a listen, too.

Any other there on Saturday that you guys recommend that I should spin some stuff by?
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Cold War Kids are a band that annoys me on the radio but could be really good in person. San Fermin and Lower Dens maybe. Modest Mouse I would. Portugal the Man definitely, I think you'd like them. Broncho could either be really good or really awful, check out Class Historian and see if it catches you or annoys you. If you follow hockey writer Ryan Lambert (twolinepass) on twitter, he won't ever stop talking about Diarrhea Planet.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

AB. you'd probably like the Barr Brothers. The Word is probably good to, haven't heard them proper, but Medeski doesn't get involved with shitty projects.

Jealous of Sunday and the Tallest Man On Earth. That's the closest he comes to CO. God damn it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Saw Built to Spill last night. Brilliant as ever. Doug Martsch is probably the least rock star looking rock star ever.

Driving to Flagstaff here in a couple of hours to catch the Drive-By Truckers Dirt Underneath (acoustic) tour. Psyched for that one. Then Sturgill Simpson on Thursday.

ETA: Rules, I guess.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Going to Widespread Panic at the Warner theater tonight.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Going to Widespread Panic at the Warner theater tonight.
Reminds me, have to get my Sunday Red Rocks tix soon!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:Saw Built to Spill last night. Brilliant as ever. Doug Martsch is probably the least rock star looking rock star ever.

Driving to Flagstaff here in a couple of hours to catch the Drive-By Truckers Dirt Underneath (acoustic) tour. Psyched for that one. Then Sturgill Simpson on Thursday.

It kind of creeps me out to watch Doug on stage. His guitar playing style can only be described as Parkinson'sesque. Looking forward to watching him shake in a few weeks.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote:
brian wrote:Saw Built to Spill last night. Brilliant as ever. Doug Martsch is probably the least rock star looking rock star ever.

It kind of creeps me out to watch Doug on stage. His guitar playing style can only be described as Parkinson'sesque. Looking forward to watching him shake in a few weeks.
That's a solid assessment. He's fucking brilliant though. BtS is one of the few bands where if I hear a song of theirs I've never heard before I can ID it as a BtS song immediately.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Agreed on brilliance. How was DBT?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Last week the GF and I saw local guy Allen Stone, in a super small (~375 people) club. I've mentioned him before in this thread, but the guy is just an amazing showman. Great voice, fun tunes (think Stevie Wonder style soul/RB), great band (horns, band-up singers, etc). Super fun show.

He was doing a run of shows last week called "Evolution of An Artist", playing 5 different clubs/theaters in Seattle...places he's played as he's built up a following. He's got his first major label release coming out in a few weeks.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote:Agreed on brilliance. How was DBT?
Show was great. Amazing how they can be so loud and crazy live but can still do an awesome 2.5 hour set of just acoustic stuff. Great versions of Carl Perkins' Cadillac and Women Without Whiskey.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Wilco tonight! DMB next month. Then second kid and no concerts ever again for me.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote:Wilco tonight! DMB next month. Then second kid and no concerts ever again for me.
Bullshit. Get your ass out there. I'm on kid #3, and concert #3 of 8, of the spring is next Tuesday. Wilco in Orlando.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote:
Giff wrote:Wilco tonight! DMB next month. Then second kid and no concerts ever again for me.
Bullshit. Get your ass out there. I'm on kid #3, and concert #3 of 8, of the spring is next Tuesday. Wilco in Orlando.
I know, I know!

13th anniversary of the release of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot...wonder if the setlist will be heavy off that album.