Rants 2?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Rants 2?

Post by sancarlos »

I suspect many of us have similar parents, at least in some regards.

My mum is very sweet, kind, and generous. She's also a knee-jerk right-winger. And even though I'm pretty moderate and somewhat Libertarian in my own politics, my Mum pegs me for a nut job California liberal.

As far as I can tell, she and her circle of like-minded old women friends primarily use email for the purpose of sending each other factually inaccurate Internet stories that support their political worldview. Of course, my mother loves to tweak me by including me in the distribution, as she is convinced each story will be the one to show me the folly of my thinking. A couple times now I've responded with links to snopes.com to show them their stories are untrue, but that just fires them up all the more. So, the emails keep coming... Now I don't even respond anymore...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

sancarlos wrote:I suspect many of us have similar parents, at least in some regards.

My mum is very sweet, kind, and generous. She's also a knee-jerk right-winger. And even though I'm pretty moderate and somewhat Libertarian in my own politics, my Mum pegs me for a nut job California liberal.

As far as I can tell, she and her circle of like-minded old women friends primarily use email for the purpose of sending each other factually inaccurate Internet stories that support their political worldview. Of course, my mother loves to tweak me by including me in the distribution, as she is convinced each story will be the one to show me the folly of my thinking. A couple times now I've responded with links to snopes.com to show them their stories are untrue, but that just fires them up all the more. So, the emails keep coming... Now I don't even respond anymore...
I once created a mail rule to move all messages from my aunt to a junk folder for this very reason.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote:I suspect many of us have similar parents, at least in some regards.

As my father likes to say, the younger Bush turned him into a Liberal. He liked to think of himself as a Conservative in the 1980s and 90s, but he has always been pretty socially Liberal. The GOP really changed dramatically in the last 20 or so years, and he has stayed the same. I'd actually say Fox News and the rest of the wignuts being able to get traction has pushed him further Left. The only political e-mails I get are news stories making fun of lunatic politicians. He complains that several of their friends are Fox Newsies and that it turned them stupid. He bites his tongue, which if you knew my father, you wouldn't think it possible. He has just learned that you can't reason with the brainwashed, especially when they are taught that anything that differs with the propaganda is inherently a lie. I do have several FB friends who post ridiculous Right Wing nonsense, but I rarely respond. I just respond to Johnnie's gun loving friend. A HS friend recently friended me, but half her posts are spam because she "liked" Scott Walker's page, and articles confusing climate and weather that make fun of the idiots who fell for the lies of 97% of climate scientists, because they are faking experiments to get rich off of grant funding.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

At the start of each semester, I get notification from students who have learning issues. The sheet is usually very nebulous and has directives such as "allow student extra time to submit homework" and "student may use a laptop in class"

Always wondered why some kids gave me the sheet on the first class, while others waited until around midterms.

Suspicions confirmed last night as a guy I met at a dinner party told me that he and his buddies used to get those sheets every year, even though they didn't need them. They'd make up a sob story, and pretty much anyone could get them. No medical note needed.

To say that I am pissed is an understatement. I wondered why some of these students with "issues" were among my better students. Clearly no sign of learning or behaviourial issues - they just get these forms as an insurance policy.

I feel the same way that I do about able bodied people with handicapped parking passes.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

just eight months after the 'final', final try.. turns out we found a way to take one more shot, paid for out of pocket... everything looked good. first test was positive, two following tests showed very positive growth. Then friday came and nothing was found, blood tests still looked good. just came back from the docs.. couldn't find it..this far along it should be there, but its not.. crushed.both of us. didn't realize how dusty the house was. fuck it. i can't express it. hopefully the test results will show that levels are goign down, otherwise chemistry will have to intercede and that will not be good.

why in rants? dunno. rant at life? circumsntances? god? medical history? fuck if i know. but i'm the positive strong one here so gotta buck up.
goddamit. puta vida.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Lo siento
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I'm sad for you and your wife.

We persevered and got lucky. But it took many years. Many heartbreaks.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sorry, man.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

low blow.
a few weeks back, it looked bleak. it was bleak. nothing was found. sadness, slight hope... then.. a couple of days later, using the fancier machine.. they found it .. hidden.and it started growing.every couple of days.. new bloodwork, higher levels, new scan... growing.. finally, heartbeat.. discernible shape. Life.

last batch of medicine ordered, one more week of shots.. then off to her regular obgyin next week..cautiously confident enough that i did not attend today's appt..just got the call.
8-9 weeks. heartbeat gone. no growth since last week.

WHY? WTF WHY? we'd allowed ourselves to dream. to start planning... no more 'cautiously optimistic' feelings from the staff at IRMS
hijueputa vida! tanto dolor, tanto amor desperdiciado. que puta vida. nada es facil.

fuck it. i'm going home. one stop first, then hope, comfort the missus, put her to bed then to the dark cool basement to rant some more.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Fuck. I'm sorry man. I won't even pretend to say I can understand. But, having gone through two pregnancies, I can try to imagine the feelings of losing one. I remember the fears, but we were lucky to never have them realized.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Really sorry to hear that. Life sucks. Send our love to the Mrs.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Really sorry to hear this.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

Thanks gents.
struggling on how to tell the boy.

at the end of the day, this too shall pass. right now however, it sucks.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Holding a thought for you and your family, flaco.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I think I'll table my rant on drives with Christian Fishes on their cars for another day.

So sorry to hear flaco. Thoughts with you and the mrs.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

i never planned on doing this or that, having such a thing or another.
i knew i would travel and see the world.
i knew i would have a big family.

joke's on me.
can't even punch a wall. as i suck at fixing/putting up drywall. mierda.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

God damn that is terrible.

My sincerest sympathies.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So sorry, man.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So sorry for you guys.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Sorry to hear that Flaco. Take care of yourself and Mrs. Flaco.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

bfj wrote:Sorry to hear that Flaco. Take care of yourself and Mrs. Flaco.
X2. So sorry.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

long weekend.
supposedly there is a tiny bit of chance.. wil find out tomorrow (and she's going to her regular doc on thurs as well)...
i'm holding up. the missus on the other hand isn't doing so hot... this was to be her birthday weekend (better than her birthday month) and didn't quite work out as you can imagine. she's in a bad place and all i can do is hold her and reassure her we'll be alright. keeps telling me she's in a dark place. has been napping a lot the last few days, every time wakes up from a nightmare. losing her faith she tells me. that's not good. to make it worse, we hadn't shared the news with many, so she naturally doesn't want to talk about this now with anyone (hooray for interweb 'friends')

and i'm off tomorrow to Brussels for work. oy.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Last month I tried to get a beat on my vehicle registration. I went way early as to get it out of the way and give myself as much leeway in fixing whatever they found unsatisfactory about it. German vehicle inspections are notorious for failing you based on how the inspectors are feeling that day. I wanted to mitigate the damage as much as I could.

Unbeknownst to me, my Jeep was suddenly an easy fail. Wheels outside of my fenders (bullshit). "Obligatory" lighting in my rear bumper (more bullshit). "Oil and transmission leaks" underneath (even more bullshit). Tie rod end needing to be replaced (actually legit!). And the motherlode of everything: my bumpers requiring TUV (German DOT) approval because they are aftermarket modifications.

2 years ago my Jeep passed just fine. No major issues. Suddenly? I'm basically driving a vehicle borne IED as far as the inspectors are concerned. Many phone calls and correspondence between my first sergeant and the Vehicle Readiness Squadron first sergeant and the Germans who write the Army instructions for everyone in Germany later and my head was spinning. None of these people could allow me to re-register my vehicle for the 7 or so months I have left here. They are specifically targeting the Jeep community and giving no exemptions to policy.

None of these people have answers as to why my Jeep could pass 2 years ago but not now. I'm left with a sorry and a shrug. I'm a victim to the bureaucracy. Even when saying "You are literally taking away my ability to get to work in the morning" I get a blank stare. These issues can be pencil whipped away, mind you. I've been driving this thing for too long and polizei has never once pulled me over on any violation.

I thought I may have had a backdoor into the system by driving to the "easier" inspection station 35 minutes away. Nope. Immediately I was met with "Your tires are outside your fenders. And do you have any approval letters for the modifications?" Unfuckingreal.

I say that to say today was not a good day.

That charade at the inspection station started my morning. Then, because I took so long with the inspection, I missed out on a detail around the squadron to cleanup in preparation of the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force visit Monday. I felt like an asshole. (The additional knife twist of leaving my boots at home further frustrated that situation because I had to drive back just change.)

Next, I had to break the news to our secretary (since I am the Security Manager) that her clearance did not come through and it's very possible that she'll be fired. (She doesn't want to give up her dual citizenship, so that's on her.) But why do I feel bad about that? See, it's not so bad breaking the news, it's that, and I've learned this time and again, no matter how quiet, respectful, and cognizant of what I have to brief, I come off too aggressively for some people. I cannot shake this and I get talked to for it every time. Even no words means my nonverbals are too strong. It's crazy. So even when my intent was to break the news lightly, I'm sure I came off like an asshole.

But that wasn't the worst of it. I was trying to track down a backup deployment manager from within my Wing because the primary is on leave. There's a short notice deployment that needs to happen for an individual. So, I get the name of the individual and call her directly to see if she knows about anyone filling in. She doesn't. So I happened to state "Well, I need to find someone because this is in reference to your upcoming deployment."

Suddenly I hear whimpering and a panicked voice on the other end. "What? Deployment? I can't...what?" In a hushed and composed tone (because of what I said earlier, plus a young girl is crying) I ask "Are you OK? What can I do to help?" Then more whimpering into full-on bawling. I then realize no one has given her the heads up she was even going on this deployment. I'm breaking this to her right now. I speak to her supervisor because she's distraught. And I find out after a couple more calls that she recently had a baby and is playing single mom. Like....UGH. Fuck me, right? And I'm so far outside of this poor girl's chain of command and here I am just looking for someone to get info from and BAM! Plus I get the very defensive "Who are you to task someone from deployment at your level." I'm just passing on news. I didn't task anyone. But, yea.

Then, going on around my squadron right now is an alarm issue that isn't resolved. So we have to man our vault 24/7 through the weekend until that's fixed. (1600-2400 shift tomorrow at work! Yay!)

This assignment has been, outside of my cool house and ability to travel here and there, an awful, awful time. I've been passed over once for the overseas list. I expect to miss it again here in August and I expect the worst stateside assignment possible come October. Ellsworth, Minot, Cannon, Altus, any of those. This meandering through career hell hasn't been good for me. Add in other bumps with my "tone," a marked down performance report, too many additional duties, and dealing with the German version of Inshallah, and I damn near broke down in fron of my deputy commander. This hasn't been easy.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That sucks. On the bright side, Maine is lovely this time of year and New Mexico has great food. (Can't help you with Oklahoma or North Dakota.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Red dirt in Altus.

That sucks man. Fucking awful day.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good luck, Johnnie.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Thanks, fellas.

Also, Brian, Minot is in North Dakota. It's the base everyone points to as the "worst base to get stationed at" because of those delightful negative 60 temps in the winter.

"Why not Minot? Freezin's the reason!"

Edit.

Oops, you were probably referencing Ellsworth. That's located near beautiful Rapid City, South Dakota.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote:
Oops, you were probably referencing Ellsworth. That's located near beautiful Rapid City, South Dakota.
That one could be worse. Rapid's actually a pretty cool town. And a Swamper lives there!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote:Thanks, fellas.

Also, Brian, Minot is in North Dakota. It's the base everyone points to as the "worst base to get stationed at" because of those delightful negative 60 temps in the winter.

"Why not Minot? Freezin's the reason!"
That reminds me of how bad Saskatchewan, Canada is. Much of my extended family is there and, when asked about it, I describe it as "just like North Dakota, but without the glamour."

Eta: look up Sports Doc when you get posted there. It seems inevitable.
Last edited by sancarlos on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Huh. Then that makes it suck less then. That and very affordable prices for the local CrossFit gyms. And they may like my Jeep too. Time will tell.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

C'mon Goldsboro! We would rock.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oooof. Near Fayette-nam home of Ft. Bragg/Pope AFB. Where even the STDs are Airborne.

You know what it means when there's a mop handle upside down outside the front door, right? The husband is on deployment and the wife is looking to cheat on him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And mop right side up means a wife is deployed and her husband wants some strange? Or the mop was wet.

If you end up in Dover or anywhere in NJ I promise cerrano and I will come visit.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ft. Dix/McGuire/Lakehurst is in NJ. I've been there before. Pumped my own gas on base because your silly civilian rules don't apply.

There's also Ft. George Meade in Maryland, and Andrews and Bolling outside of D.C.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:
Johnnie wrote:
That one could be worse. Rapid's actually a pretty cool town. And a Swamper lives there!
Thought he took the job in Johnstown, PA.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
brian wrote:
Johnnie wrote:
Thought he took the job in Johnstown, PA.
Oh yeah. Well, it's still a pretty decent place.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

If you're in Oklahoma you can come see me. So that's a benefit. Possibly.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I thought you lived in Mizzou? If so, Whiteman AFB is there.

Knob Noster, FTW!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So there was this delightful exchange today. My supervisor pulled me aside, sat me down, and proceeded to open the talk with this:

The Chief and Colonel are absolutely livid with you right now because you decided to tell the secretary that she was getting fired. Whether or not that may be the case, who the fuck is Sergeant [Johnnie] to tell her that when her boss is the commander?

I then had to proceed to recant every single detail of Friday and give my perspective of what happened. I specifically noted that an email was sent on the 10th to our unit commander (lieutenant colonel) with a drop dead date of the 19th to get a response in to the base security manager office on what the secretary wanted to do. Whether it was a written rebuttal or otherwise, they were not given the word. So therefore, at 1pm on the drop dead date, I was suddenly playing catch-up trying to find out anything I could at all and through the process of discovery, realized that her job was in question and no one within my unit was there for me to tell. And while I didn't outright say she was getting fired, my comments were implied (I didn't clarify that in my previous post) that her job had some haze revolving around it. So, I can concede that I was not the person to tell her this. I certainly didn't want to. But under no circumstance was anything made clear to me about anything -- and I'm the appointed security manager for my unit.

Soooo....apparently she went into the weekend in absolute fear of getting fired and she hasn't calmed down yet. Unbeknownst to me of course. So this sit down session was to remind me how much of an asshole I am and that I should, once again, know my place.

The interaction with the Airman getting deployed and her breaking down over it was also brought up. However, luckily, my supervisor could see that I was trying to alert someone in her chain of command and didn't hold that sequence of events against me.

When the session ended, my supervisor wanted to see the email in question. After printing it and showing the timeline, he lightened up a bit, but was still adamant that I was in no place to say anything about anything. I get that, but shit. Even when I try to do that right thing I'm still getting burnt by it. I had no idea if she knew she had the ability to rebut the findings and whether or not she talked to her hiring authority. And why she couldn't deduce on her own that not getting a security clearance might get her reassigned I don't know. But fuck me for strongly suggesting she contact someone about her job.

Just another fucking day in paradise. I cannot wait to leave. February just cannot come fast enough.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

There is something about women's sports that I don't understand. Ladies seem to be way more Rah Rah than the men. Took my daughter to see her babysitter play in a state playoff lacrosse game. The girls must have spent 12 minutes in cheers, rituals, dance moves, choreography, etc between warmup and the first face off. Okay you say that is high school mid level sports...and why today after the World Cup thread. So during the starting line up head shot thing that Fox did every US player smiled like they were posing for a magazine shot (actually thought Japan was way more game face). Before the first Japanese sub, #10 must have gone through the entire roster, staff, etc, doing handshakes, hugs, etc. After the game I saw players priming themselves before getting their medals (did I get my headband right). I get that these ladies need to market themselves differently than the men, but sometimes you just want them to play and leave the other stuff out. This is the top level, just figured all that nonsense was for teeny boopers who care more about the bow in their hair than the score at the end of the game.