2016 NFL Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: 2016 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by A_B »

It's the year of the 'Land guys. Just cancel the season.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote:It's the year of the 'Land guys. Just cancel the season.
I know you're joking regarding Cleveland. But, the Raider fans I know really are drinking the koolaid and expecting big things this season. I don't see it. They were very inconsistent last season and I don't see where they've markedly.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:
I know you're joking regarding Cleveland. But, the Raider fans I know really are drinking the koolaid and expecting big things this season. I don't see it. They were very inconsistent last season and I don't see where they've markedly.
Maybe they're thinking that the Broncos will not be as good, the Chiefs are the same and the Chargers are garbage.

I see them as an outside threat.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

sancarlos wrote:

A lot of improvements with a team like that are going to be their own guys. I feel the same way about the Steelers defense. Young guys going years 1 and 2 to years 2 and 3 should make big jumps. They also did add two big FAs to their defense, however, we never know how those guys will pan out in a new city.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

So if Bosa ends up holding out all year and his rights are officially held by SD until the 2017 Draft night, will it be considering tampering if he works out for another team?
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm normally pro-player in these types of issues, but I'm really not feeling any sympathy for Bosa here.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote:I'm normally pro-player in these types of issues, but I'm really not feeling any sympathy for Bosa here.
I do a bit. He only wanted to be treated like other #3 picks since the new CBA. The chargers refused to do so, which is their right. In the end Bosa has no leverage and will cave, I imagine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've only seen a little of this, but is the entire argument basically the Chargers saying "we don't want to pay you $2MM if we cut you (the 3rd overall pick) after three seasons" or is there more to it?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The whole point of the CBA was to not have these types of things happen. They basically can only negotiate over two points related to bonus (when it gets paid and can he be double-paid). However, the Chargers have also messed this up by publicly saying "Best" deal and pulling it off the table. USA Today had a good piece of how they are now behind the 8 ball because of that move.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:I've only seen a little of this, but is the entire argument basically the Chargers saying "we don't want to pay you $2MM if we cut you (the 3rd overall pick) after three seasons" or is there more to it?
I guess if they cut him while still under the rookie deal but he signs with another team, they don't want to have to pay any portion of his salary, which I guess happens sometimes. IF they cut him but he doesn't play for another team he gets nothing. At least I think that's what happens. I guess he would be a more attractive FA to teams if they don't have to pick up a huge chunk of his salary.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So basically they're willing to walk away from the 3rd overall pick entirely over a fail risk that amounts to 1% of their cap four years down the road? Is SD a disaster franchise?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:So basically they're willing to walk away from the 3rd overall pick entirely over a fail risk that amounts to 1% of their cap four years down the road? Is SD a disaster franchise?
Yup. But to them the more important thing is setting a hard line for future draftees. They keep saying they never do this, but they also haven't had a pick higher than 11 since the new CBA happened. Really odd that the team wouldn't give up some concession to a guy who apparently excelled at minicamp.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So they're relying on precedent that hasn't yet been set either way? Its always crazy when something like this happens and a team doesn't have someone at a high level who understands what a mistake it is. However Bosa's career turns out, this is a completely idiotic maneuver.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:So they're relying on precedent that hasn't yet been set either way? Its always crazy when something like this happens and a team doesn't have someone at a high level who understands what a mistake it is. However Bosa's career turns out, this is a completely idiotic maneuver.

It's been set by other teams with the #3 pick, among other high picks, which is what Bosa's team says. But the chargers saying they've never done it and aren't starting now. When in reality they haven't had the opportunity to do it the way that all other #3 picks have been treated, and not conceding to the #11 is different than not conceding the #3, IMO.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"We're not paying an over slot bonus because we've never paid an over slot bonus (because in the three years of slotting we've never had a player slip to us before)" by the Yankees would probably send my head through a wall.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pretty hard to see this as anything but more insanity from the Chargers. Bosa probably in the right. I hope he really does have the balls to hold out the entire year.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote:Pretty hard to see this as anything but more insanity from the Chargers. Bosa probably in the right. I hope he really does have the balls to hold out the entire year.
Pro football players have a short career. Limited time to rake the cash. Even if he has a good point, it would seem strange for him to fall on his sword on principal and lose a year of serious coin. Luckily, defensive end is not QB, as far as required learning. I would think the learning curve would be short if/when he signs.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos wrote:
tennbengal wrote:Pretty hard to see this as anything but more insanity from the Chargers. Bosa probably in the right. I hope he really does have the balls to hold out the entire year.
Pro football players have a short career. Limited time to rake the cash. Even if he has a good point, it would seem strange for him to fall on his sword on principal and lose a year of serious coin. Luckily, defensive end is not QB, as far as required learning. I would think the learning curve would be short if/when he signs.
Hence my reference to his balls. Huge gamble, but he can keep in shape, and, if this is worth it to him NOT to be in San Diego at this point, spend a year getting ready for next season.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wouldn't football be the sport where you could most easily make up for a lost year? Players don't usually old age out, they get injured out.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote:Wouldn't football be the sport where you could most easily make up for a lost year? Players don't usually old age out, they get injured out.
Seems like it to me. Especially at his position - would think WR/CB who relies on speed (which feels like a youthful attribute) would take much more risk sitting out than a d-lineman would. QB needs to be in for the year to learn, but D-line? Not nearly as much to deal with schematically, obviously.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Still isn't going to happen. But don't blame them for covering their bases. Don't know if you guys saw the CEO of MGM Resorts came out against the public funding option. That's the first crack in the dyke.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

This year was a weak draft class. I doubt he goes top 3 in very many draft years and I doubt he'd go top 10 next year.

That being said, players just rolling over and taking it because of "team!" is why they are talking about strikes and lockouts.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote:
Why didn't I think to do this first? Next team expected to move, I'm registering the trademark and selling it. An apparel label not approved by the league would probably pay a fuckton for the TM. Even if the team changed names after the move, the apparel company could sell a ton of merchandise before the official name change announcement.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote:
Sabo wrote:
Why didn't I think to do this first? Next team expected to move, I'm registering the trademark and selling it. An apparel label not approved by the league would probably pay a fuckton for the TM. Even if the team changed names after the move, the apparel company could sell a ton of merchandise before the official name change announcement.
I'm pretty sure you have to be able to show that you actually do some sort of business with that name. You can't go trademarking any phrase you want.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Kaepernick didn't stand for the National Anthem and now the internet is melting down.

Can every day just be National Dog Day please? I don't care about standing for the National Anthem.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnnie wrote:Kaepernick didn't stand for the National Anthem and now the internet is melting down.

Can every day just be National Dog Day please? I don't care about standing for the National Anthem.
No one would give a shit if it were someone like Brady or Eli Manning. But Kaepernick has always been a lightning rod for unnecessary criticism about off-field stuff because he's not white and is heavily tattooed, and thus doesn't "look the part" of an NFL QB. A good deal of people still criticize the Niners for moving on from Alex Smith, even though there is no doubt in my mind that Kaepernick gave them a much better chance of winning a title during the 2013-2014 seasons, which is when their window was open.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote:Kaepernick didn't stand for the National Anthem and now the internet is melting down.

People LOVE the First Amendment until someone utilizes it for something they don't agree with*

(*That said, the part most people, but especially conservatives don't seem to get is that the First Amendment doesn't free you from consequences of your speech. The Niners would be within their rights to cut Kaepernick, for example. I'm not saying they should or will (if they do, I'm pretty sure it will be at least a 95 percent football decision), but that's the price you can pay to exercise your rights.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Burning the flag. Not standing for the flag. Not putting your hands over your heart when standing in reverence for the flag...these are the things the segment of the population that calls out liberals for being quick to complain about everything themselves get butthurt over and cannot recognize the hypocrisy. Because like you said, it's something they don't agree with.

And usually it's a white person using racial undertones to get mad at a person of color. And in this instance they kinda proved Kaep right.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Joe K wrote:

No one would give a shit if it were someone like Brady or Eli Manning. But Kaepernick has always been a lightning rod for unnecessary criticism about off-field stuff because he's not white and is heavily tattooed, and thus doesn't "look the part" of an NFL QB. A good deal of people still criticize the Niners for moving on from Alex Smith, even though there is no doubt in my mind that Kaepernick gave them a much better chance of winning a title during the 2013-2014 seasons, which is when their window was open.
I didn't realize when I made this prior post that Kaepernick intended it as a political statement. Good for him. And I have additional respect due to the fact that he's a guy locked in a battle for playing time who may very well suffer consequences for this. If someone like LeBron or Russell Wilson did this, it's a lot less likely they would face any career or financial repercussions.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Well - the best thing for Kaepernick right now would be to get cut. He'll get his full salary and get to sign somewhere else.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Also, someone should keep a running tally of everyone who praised Muhammad Ali for his courage of convictions two months ago who bashes Kaepernick for this. I'm guessing it won't be a short list.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'm always impressed when any team sport athlete speaks out since, unless you're somehow a universally liked legend, about 31/32nds of the population is preconditioned to hate you.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Funny, the Kaepernick anthem kerfuffle isn't even mentioned in the Chronicle's paper story about the game.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Can we mention how stupid it is to play the National Anthem before EVERY sporting event, including a lousy pre-season football game?

During the Olympics I mentioned to my kids that in my year in Australia I think I heard the national anthem ("Advance Australia Fair") maybe 3 times.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Can we mention how stupid it is to play the National Anthem before EVERY sporting event, including a lousy pre-season football game?

During the Olympics I mentioned to my kids that in my year in Australia I think I heard the national anthem ("Advance Australia Fair") maybe 3 times.
If you travel you will be amazed how in most countries in the world, they don't need to see an image of the flag every 100 yards in order to know where they are.

(This applies to Canada as well, definitely in second place for overly flagged nation I have been to.)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:Can we mention how stupid it is to play the National Anthem before EVERY sporting event, including a lousy pre-season football game?

If you travel you will be amazed how in most countries in the world, they don't need to see an image of the flag every 100 yards in order to know where they are.

(This applies to Canada as well, definitely in second place for overly flagged nation I have been to.)

That's because none of the other countries are the GREATEST FUCKING COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!! USA! USA! USA! Ever heard of Canadian Exceptionalism? No, because 'Murica Rulez, m'fers!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

At the end of every duty day on every American military base all over the world the national anthem plays. If it's overseas, the host nation's anthem plays first. Needless to say, I've heard the German national anthem a bunch of times. (This also includes times prior to commander's calls and prior to a movie playing at the base theater.)

The only time I can remember hearing the German anthem while not on base? In the middle of getting hammered drunk at Oktoberfest. Those tents are just non-stop music and fun times, so it made sense.

But yea, I'm absolutely sick of hearing the national anthem. It's like the two minutes hate from 1984 with me.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Johnnie wrote:It's like the two minutes hate from 1984.
Bingo.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…