Swamp Travel Guide

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by brian »

All I know is the normal stuff the kids should like (Shedd Aquarium/Field Museum), but don't discount that they might enjoy one of the boat tours on the Chicago River (assuming the DMB is not in town).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:48 am All I know is the normal stuff the kids should like (Shedd Aquarium/Field Museum), but don't discount that they might enjoy one of the boat tours on the Chicago River (assuming the DMB is not in town).
The boat tours might take a little long, and I don't think a kid would enjoy looking up at buildings for all that long.

But yeah, the standards are the standards for a reason. Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Museum of Science and Industry. Millennium Park has cool stuff like that big shiny bean, the Crown Fountain and Lurie Garden. Grant Park has Buckingham Fountain and a walk along the lake.

Kids might like the observation decks at the Sears Tower or John Hancock Building - it's really cool to be looking out over the entire city. But that might involve too much waiting.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Don’t forget Abe Froman’s place. The Sausage King!
Last edited by sancarlos on Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Skip the insult restaurants.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I'll be in Phoenix (actually Mesa) for a couple of days in September. It should only be 110 degrees by then. I will be flying solo (presenting at a conference), so any suggestions for restaurants or things to do are welcome.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Lincoln Park Zoo has free admission. Just pay for parking right beside it.

There is a rock wall that they can climb ($) at one of the parks downtown. I think you can rent skates (roller and inline) as well as bikes.

Jordan statue at the UC.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:03 am
brian wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:48 am All I know is the normal stuff the kids should like (Shedd Aquarium/Field Museum), but don't discount that they might enjoy one of the boat tours on the Chicago River (assuming the DMB is not in town).
The boat tours might take a little long, and I don't think a kid would enjoy looking up at buildings for all that long.

Kids might like the observation decks at the Sears Tower or John Hancock Building - it's really cool to be looking out over the entire city. But that might involve too much waiting.
We did a Duck Tour in Boston when my daughter was 8 or 9 and she loved it. It was a great way to see a lot of the city quickly, and they let her steer the vehicle when we were in the water. I think she enjoyed it even without the driving. I've somehow never made it to Chicago, need to remedy that. The Original Beef of Chicagoland looks like great food, but a little chaotic. Not sure I'd bring children there.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Duck Tours should be banned. A friend's Mom was killed by one because they have huge blind spots.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Chicago River tour (we did one at night) was freaking great. Ours was centered on architectural stuff.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:45 am Its definitely on the list, just waiting to see weather and stuff before we spend the $9 per ticket on the secondary market.
Is that a Guaranteed Rate?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:42 pm I'll be in Phoenix (actually Mesa) for a couple of days in September. It should only be 110 degrees by then. I will be flying solo (presenting at a conference), so any suggestions for restaurants or things to do are welcome.
Guy Fieri's restaurant, obviously.

(I MEAN THIS, PEOPLE!)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:11 am The Chicago River tour (we did one at night) was freaking great. Ours was centered on architectural stuff.
Oh wow my 7 year old would love that!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:25 am
A_B wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:11 am The Chicago River tour (we did one at night) was freaking great. Ours was centered on architectural stuff.
Oh wow my 7 year old would love that!
Yeah, that's kinda where I was going. A couple years ago we went to Chicago and actually stayed downtown like tourists. We loved the architecture river tour, but I cannot imagine it would hold a kid's interest through the entire thing. And then you're stuck on a boat with a grumpy kid.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well, they give you the history of them, too! WIN WIN!

(Our youngest was 10 or 12 at the time I guess)
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Been a while so... There is a beach about 1/2 mile north of the Drake Hotel in streeterville/gold coast. (This one pictured in the air show website https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/d ... rshow.html). Youngest has some great pics but couldnt stop him from the urban swimming though. Yuk? Not sure? 4-5 blocks from the L. Also nice to walk along the extremely fast bike lanes along the water. Al Bundy intro fountain at night and museums in area and park. I felt totally safe. Summer was busy until late. Id skip Navy Pier and do the river tour. Its cool to check out the buildings and be on a boat. Recall the one I did being shortish and off brand but fun. Kids included. Chicago dogs italian beef or anything with a vienna beef sign. Wrigley area worth a walk around. Take the L north. Good views of the City when above ground. Not so much the L south of loop unless hyde park or west of ukrainian village? Michigan avenue walk from Hancock (drink at top floor restaurant cheaper than observatory but tougher with kiddos) a nice touristy diversion. Crosses the river at Wrigley bldg south to park. Mostly check around and find a festival id say. Chicago in summer pretty wonderful.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:08 am Duck Tours should be banned. A friend's Mom was killed by one because they have huge blind spots.
Heh.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Some real (duck) egg on SC's face.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

“Tell ya what, dipshit. If you don't like my jokes you can come on down here and smooch my big ole' white butt.” - SC probably
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I admittedly wasn't sure if it was a joke due to the combination of duck and blind.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:56 am Been a while so... There is a beach about 1/2 mile north of the Drake Hotel in streeterville/gold coast. (This one pictured in the air show website https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/d ... rshow.html). Youngest has some great pics but couldnt stop him from the urban swimming though. Yuk? Not sure? 4-5 blocks from the L. Also nice to walk along the extremely fast bike lanes along the water. Al Bundy intro fountain at night and museums in area and park. I felt totally safe. Summer was busy until late.
These days that is a good spot to get stabbed or shot, especially after about 4 p.m.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

image.png
image.png (194.8 KiB) Viewed 618 times
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:27 pm Some real (duck) egg on SC's face.
Oops. Thought it was a duck blind joke.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Things we did:
- Navy Pier
- Navy Pier again when we realized we only went like 1/4 of the way down it because it was the first night and very dark
- Shedd Aquarium
- Architecture boat tour
- Wrigley day game + Old Styles + peed in a trough
- Clichéd stops for deep dish, italian beef and chicago dogs
- Millennium Park
- Repeatedly shit ourselves when the Blue Angels flew overhead, which went from confusing to slightly cool to incredibly annoying over the course of 4 days

And then lots of just walking around and stuff. Only really GREAT meal we were able to get was brunch at Little Goat Diner (a Stephanie Izard joint) which was an A+. We've already mentally planned a no-kids trip so we can hit up the restaurants/bars they wouldn't like or be allowed in. We also got my 7 year old a small personal loaf of banana bread for breakfast one morning which, inspired by her recognizing loaf as a gross word, had her walking around eating it and singing "close your eyes, picture my loaf" to the tune of the Bangles "Eternal Flame". Good trip. Chicago is officially better than Alexandria, VA.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I was going to ask where you got pizza but I can't stop laughing at your hilarious 7-year-old.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:28 am Things we did:
- Clichéd stops for deep dish, italian beef and chicago dogs
Lou Malnatti’s, Al’s, and Portillo’s?

Wife’s ALA conference year was in Chicago in June of 2020. I was going to have 2 days to meself to wander the Windy City and had a good map planned out and everything. Would have tried Al’s when I went but not the other two. (Was really looking forward to Pequods) Did hit the Weiners Circle in 2007 when we took my Dad to Wrigley for his 60th.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I want to go back to Pequod's. I was way too hungover to enjoy that (or really anything else that day). Your NBA team missing 27 straight 3s in a chance to go to the NBA Finals will do that to you.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Those are probably the best places for the cliched dishes. Pequod's is best pizza in Chicago, period -- but Malnati's is a very, very decent second.

Portillo's is ubiquitous but for good reason -- it's a damn good Italian beef or dog. The chocolate cake there is unbelievable for a "fast food" place.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Malnati's for deep dish, Devil Dawgs and Northman for chicago dogs and (sigh) Harry Caray's for the italian beef. Couldn't hit a specialty spot for the latter because I was the only one who gave a shit.

(Portillos was out because there were too many locations and because a friend told me a foster kid they had a few years back intentionally threw up milk on the table there.)
Last edited by mister d on Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:57 am Those are probably the best places for the cliched dishes. Pequod's is best pizza in Chicago, period -- but Malnati's is a very, very decent second.

Portillo's is ubiquitous but for good reason -- it's a damn good Italian beef or dog. The chocolate cake there is unbelievable for a "fast food" place.
We have Portillos here now, including one inside Amalie Arena. The beef sandwich is very often my meal at Bolts games.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:57 am Those are probably the best places for the cliched dishes. Pequod's is best pizza in Chicago, period -- but Malnati's is a very, very decent second.

My favorite still is The Silo in Lake Bluff. Of course, nostalgia plays a role in that too.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

What part of Austin would a dude like me want to stay in for a few nights?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I would think South Congress? But Austin changes so much each time I go that I barely recognize it anymore.

When are you going?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Sept 22-25ish
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We may be driving through on the 23rd on our way back from a getaway west of there. Always fun to meet a Swamper.

Luckily UT isn't playing at home that week or prices would be insane.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Any hot new BBQ joints or breweries I should hit up in KC? Making a quick trip this weekend.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Giff wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:28 am We may be driving through on the 23rd on our way back from a getaway west of there. Always fun to meet a Swamper.

Luckily UT isn't playing at home that week or prices would be insane.
Dope. Trying to solidify my plans here in the next couple of days... will let you know.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Anyone ever been to Cabo San Lucas? We're looking at some all inclusive places for mid-february.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:40 pm Anyone ever been to Cabo San Lucas? We're looking at some all inclusive places for mid-february.
Several times. I love it personally, but there's not much to do outside the beaches and bars/restaurants. That's a plus for some people. There is an amazing cliffside restaurant - Sunset Monalisa - that you have to go to if you decide to go though.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:41 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:40 pm Anyone ever been to Cabo San Lucas? We're looking at some all inclusive places for mid-february.
Several times. I love it personally, but there's not much to do outside the beaches and bars/restaurants. That's a plus for some people. There is an amazing cliffside restaurant - Sunset Monalisa - that you have to go to if you decide to go though.
So we are going the second week of February. It will be nice to get some sun/beach time for a change.

Do you have any recommendations for anyplace a little more "economical"? That place looks amazing, but yikes...the prices are insane.