The Dude

Re: 2016 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The first paragraph describes the Rams' office in LA. I remember driving past with my parents when I was a little kid, and going in there to buy tickets when I was in college. Cracks me up it still exists decades later.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

howard wrote:The first paragraph describes the Rams' office in LA. I remember driving past with my parents when I was a little kid, and going in there to buy tickets when I was in college. Cracks me up it still exists decades later.
I'd love to know what those two people did in that office for 20+ years while the team was in St. Louis. Were they paid? Can I get a gig like that?

Great article, by the way.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sorry, but I found this amusing.
The Browns are two or three players away from being two or three players away
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaath!

(sorry)
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I enjoyed him. Not like in the biblical sense of course.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

I may only be talking to myself, but the Laurinitis cut was surprising. He's a solid MLB. Long and Cook had to go.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Rams Fanny wrote:I may only be talking to myself, but the Laurinitis cut was surprising. He's a solid MLB. Long and Cook had to go.
He's paid like a top 5 LB and just had a horrible season. Makes sense to cut him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Broncos' guard, former Eagle all-pro guard Evan Mathis rips Chip Kelly.
Mathis also stated via e-mail that Kelly is not the type of coach who could have handled the 2015 Broncos’ contingent of outsized characters.

“There were many things that Chip had done that showed me he wasn’t building a championship team,” Mathis wrote in his e-mail to 9NEWS. “Two of the main issues that concerned me were: 1. A never-evolving, vanilla offense that forced our own defense to play higher than normal play counts. 2. His impatience with certain personality types even when they were blue-chip talents. The Broncos team I was on would have eaten Chip alive. I don’t think he could have handled the plethora of large personalities.”
Might be an interesting season in San Francisco.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Crazy, yet true NFL fact I just learned. Matthew Stafford last year became the first QB in NFL history to complete more than 60 percent of his passes in all 16 games.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jesus, seeing Rob Ryan in a Bills shirt makes me very, very unhappy.

And not just because he is building the world's most perfect gut either.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote:And not just because he is building the world's most perfect gut either.

Is he a cheeseburger eating muthafucker?
Last edited by Rush2112 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rex's may be bigger, but that is one proud looking Canadian gut right there.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I am and have always been a big Elway supporter, but that made me laugh.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Is Mazda the only company Peyton has never shilled for?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

sancarlos wrote:
Hogsett is an idiot. But I can't believe someone didn't proof that before posting. BSF be proud you are outside of Marion County.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Megatron has officially retired.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Knew it was coming, but still sucks. Can't blame him for getting out with $100M and while he can still walk and with a functioning brain. Will be surprised if we don't start seeing more guys retiring after playing out most of their one big FA contract.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Should be interesting when guys start retiring after their one big signing bonus but before the team wants to cut/renegotiate them.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote:Should be interesting when guys start retiring after their one big signing bonus but before the team wants to cut/renegotiate them.
You'll recall that promising 49er linebacker Chris Borland retired after his 2014 rookie season. He agreed to repay most of his signing bonus.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But don't a lot of post-rookie deals contain "roster bonuses" in the early stages to front load the cash? It would seem tough for teams to argue a roster bonus is actually supposed to be allocated over full term, especially when they often cut before full term.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote:Megatron has officially retired.
Sucks he had so many injuries the last several years. I really thought he was going to end up being the greatest WR ever.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote:But don't a lot of post-rookie deals contain "roster bonuses" in the early stages to front load the cash? It would seem tough for teams to argue a roster bonus is actually supposed to be allocated over full term, especially when they often cut before full term.

I can't imagine any situation where this would benefit a player.

No one in their right mind would turn down a restructure - future money is paid right now.

Most players also don't really have huge roster bonuses.

EDIT: Let's take a top player. Ben Roethlisberger has a $5 million roster bonus in 2018.

http://overthecap.com/player/ben-roethlisberger/1580/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He also has a $12 mil base salary. If the team pays your roster bonus, they are keeping you on the roster, obviously. So he'd give up $12 mil in base salary assuming the team can't just take the roster bonus back.

A non-star QB like Demarco Murray has no roster bonus over $500K.

http://overthecap.com/player/demarco-murray/621/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:Knew it was coming, but still sucks. Can't blame him for getting out with $100M and while he can still walk and with a functioning brain. Will be surprised if we don't start seeing more guys retiring after playing out most of their one big FA contract.
I don't know. These still surprise me. I mean, I get it - they want to stay healthy ... but yet these are professional athletes. Professional football players. These guys generally think they are invincible. And they are getting paid a TON of money to play a game for a job.

I know it's not the same, but I still go play pickup basketball even though my knees are mostly shot and half the time I hurt myself and have to limp around for a week or two. Sports are fun. And I'm not remotely as good at any sport as these guys are. They'll never be able to replicate the rush of playing an NFL game.

I way more understand the guys like Brett Favre who can't walk away than the ones who quit in their primes.
Totally Kafkaesque
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

You probably don't fear that your knees will not work at age 50. If you remember what knees are. These guys get surgery after surgery in retirement.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gunpowder wrote:Let's take a top player. Ben Roethlisberger has a $5 million roster bonus in 2018.

He also has a $12 mil base salary. If the team pays your roster bonus, they are keeping you on the roster, obviously. So he'd give up $12 mil in base salary assuming the team can't just take the roster bonus back.
Is it no longer (was it never?) a thing where contracts would have pretty high roster bonuses over the first two seasons of like a six year deal, basically enticing the guy to sign by offering a ton of cash up front? Why did I think that was a thing?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So by the time his new contract expires after the 2017 season, Sam Bradford will have made around $100 million.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Pruitt wrote:So by the time his new contract expires after the 2017 season, Sam Bradford will have made around $100 million.
This is such a misleading statistic.

$78MM of that total is from his rookie deal.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Pruitt wrote:So by the time his new contract expires after the 2017 season, Sam Bradford will have made around $100 million.

What is misleading about the total?
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

What is misleading about the total?
It's presented in a fashion that shows Bradford as a player that teams will happily overpay for mediocre production.

While you can make that overpaid argument, it's hard to do so when a vast majority of that money came before he ever took an NFL snap. And it's not like the Rams had any choice to not pay Bradford. Sure, they could have spent a few million less, but because of the way rookie salaries were structured, he was gonna get paid regardless.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

His post rookie deal will pay him a higher AAV than his rookie deal did. The Eagles gave him a 35% raise over his first contract average for mediocre production.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That Bradford deal, and the money that Cousins is going to get is fucking the Broncos, now. They didn't offer Osweiler anywhere near that kind of money before the window opened, and now the speculation is that Houston is going to pay up for Osweiler, leaving Denver with no obvious options.

Colin Kaepernick? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Bubby Brister?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:That Bradford deal, and the money that Cousins is going to get is fucking the Broncos, now. They didn't offer Osweiler anywhere near that kind of money before the window opened, and now the speculation is that Houston is going to pay up for Osweiler, leaving Denver with no obvious options.

Of course they had options. They could have franchised him, but mis-managed their situation with Von Miller and were forced to choose between the two.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:
sancarlos wrote:That Bradford deal, and the money that Cousins is going to get is fucking the Broncos, now. They didn't offer Osweiler anywhere near that kind of money before the window opened, and now the speculation is that Houston is going to pay up for Osweiler, leaving Denver with no obvious options, NOW.

Of course they HAD options. They could have franchised him, but mis-managed their situation with Von Miller and were forced to choose between the two.