Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: NFL Swampcrash 2023 - Week 6

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:13 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:08 pm
BSF21 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:21 pm Game is better when you go with sure things instead of guesses. Who knew?
That's been my strategy. You tend to get a lot of most popular, but then you avoid the dreaded Incorrect plus up.
Apparently everyone overthinks it anyway and you end up with good answers some weeks.

I'm also killing myself on the landmark one. I figured it was Giza but I wasn't sure if he was going for Sphinx or Pyramids and I didn't want to take a wrong answer.
I've come to learn that Ryan is extremely forgiving on these types of answers (except for not accepting netball!), but since netball was never in the Olympics, there is no way he could accept that answer. I was debating answering St. Basil's or Red Square, but since St. Basil's is in Red Square, I figured going broader was fine. OTOH, how close to the pyramids is the sphinx?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I decided to look to see how laughable my Dusty Baker answer was. I thought he won the World Series managing the Giants or possibly with the Cubs. I figured I was about a decade late for him being a correct answer, but that's the best I had. I was 50/50 on whether he died, and really thought I saw something about him retiring years ago. Turns out he only won the World Series with the Astros but was incorrect because he is still managing the Astros who are apparently in the playoffs now. And did you guys know the Astros are no longer in the National League?
-Pruitt
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:39 am Isn’t St. Paul the capital of Zazopolisland?
State capitals aren't capitals?

Attaboy Bronto
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Ryan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:16 pm Q9 - Name one of the 15 Most Famous Black Authors of all Time, according to a blog that I felt best represented the variety of answers that I saw from all sources (15)

CORRECT
Zora Neale Hurston (1) - PDX
Alice Walker (1) - Pruitt
Toni Morrison (1) - Tony, Tone!
Alex Haley (3) - Bengal, BFJ, Chedda
Ralph Ellison (3) - Brian, Citgo, Rass
Langston Hughes (3) - BSF, Carwash, GPJ
Richard Wright (3) - Cerrano, Shirley, Syb
Maya Angelou (5) - Bronto, Jerloma, Nonlinear, Rex, Romero
James Baldwin (8) - AB, DiS, Duff, Giff, LJam, Mister D, Rush, Sancarlos

INCORRECT (13)
Ta-Nehisi Coates - DSafe, Trav
Harriet Beecher Stowe (1. oh no, but 2. I had to check) - GoodKarma
Frederick Douglass - Enoch

LEFTOVERS
W.E.B. DuBois
Booker T. Washington
Octavia Butler
Lorraine Hansberry
August Wilson
Amiri Baraka
I’m stunned Frederick Douglass wouldn’t make any list of top black authors of all time. Unless the author had to write works of fiction, I guess? I mean, the guy’s got bridges and schools named after him.
Noli Timere Messorem
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:10 pm Typical Swampcrash thought process - “everyone will say Aretha Franklin , so I’ll say Patti LaBelle and get a one pointer!”
Mine was that everyone will say Whitney so I'll go with Donna for the 1...Whitney would have been a 1!!!! What is happening?

Nice game NLFC, but uggggghhhh....
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Na na na na

Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:14 pm I decided to look to see how laughable my Dusty Baker answer was. I thought he won the World Series managing the Giants or possibly with the Cubs. I figured I was about a decade late for him being a correct answer, but that's the best I had. I was 50/50 on whether he died, and really thought I saw something about him retiring years ago. Turns out he only won the World Series with the Astros but was incorrect because he is still managing the Astros who are apparently in the playoffs now. And did you guys know the Astros are no longer in the National League?
I just checked and my Joe Torre answer was only off by one. But I really didn't have any other guesses. I did think about Baker, but thought I'd seen that he's still managing.

And yes, the Astros being in the American League still confuses me. And that happened 10 years ago.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:45 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:14 pm I decided to look to see how laughable my Dusty Baker answer was. I thought he won the World Series managing the Giants or possibly with the Cubs. I figured I was about a decade late for him being a correct answer, but that's the best I had. I was 50/50 on whether he died, and really thought I saw something about him retiring years ago. Turns out he only won the World Series with the Astros but was incorrect because he is still managing the Astros who are apparently in the playoffs now. And did you guys know the Astros are no longer in the National League?
I just checked and my Joe Torre answer was only off by one. But I really didn't have any other guesses. I did think about Baker, but thought I'd seen that he's still managing.

And yes, the Astros being in the American League still confuses me. And that happened 10 years ago.
Joe Torre was my only other thought. I debated whether reading the baseball postseason thread to see what teams are in the playoffs would be cheating, but even if I saw the teams, I dont know who the managers are.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Didn’t realize that AJ Hinch had gotten another managing job.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian