The David Letterman Appreciation Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

The David Letterman Appreciation Thread

Post by Johnny Carwash »

OK, wanted to put this up even if there may not be much interest overall. As you may have heard, tonight is Dave's last show. As you can tell from my avatar (my username is a more obscure reference), he had a significant influence on my formative years. It's been years since I've been a regular late-night viewer, but I'll make a point to watch tonight, or at least DVR it.

I'm sure the last few weeks have seen tons of writers in the 35-45 range writing 10,000-word reflections on Dave that are actually about themselves, so I'll keep this short: more than anyone, David Letterman taught me what it meant to have a sense of humor. Before, I'd laugh when I was made to feel like I was expected to laugh, or because the cool kids were laughing, but only later did I realize that these had nothing to do with a "sense of humor" at all. What I got from Dave is the principle of discovering my own ideas of what I found amusing, and not caring if other people didn't. If another person laughed with you, then great, you found a kindred spirit; if not, then no big loss.

So, thanks Dave, and thanks to the other kindred spirits I discovered through you.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: The David Letterman Appreciation Thread

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I believe I saw that his guests are Tom Hanks and Bill Murray.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Hanks was monday and Murray was last night.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A few thoughts. I've always enjoyed Dave, even if his show was never a must see in my life. The Eddie Vedder performance of Better Man the other night was fantastic. Pitchfork did a piece on Letterman's Musical Legacy. I'm really looking forward to watching all of those youtube clips.

My sister's childhood best friend took an internship with the Late Show while she was in college. She's always had a well honed sense of humor, and is pretty unassuming. After graduating she went back to work in the accounting department for the Late Show. The Late Show always had a policy that anyone on staff could submit a joke, and if the joke made it on the air, they were paid $100 or so. After a few years of getting jokes submitted, she became a full time writer for Dave, and I think she's the only female writer on staff right now. When I saw her over Christmas, I asked her what she had planned next. She mentioned that the timing of the final show caused a lot of issues for the writing staff, because if any of them were going to jump to another show, sitcom, etc., that all of the production for shows that would come out in Fall of 2015 would have already begun by the time the Late Show ended. The trade off for staying through the end of the show was a larger severance package. She stayed.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I've loved Letterman for so long. Hate to see him go. One thing in particular - he has championed the style of music I enjoy the most, broadly described as "Americana" (some use terms such as "outlaw country" or "roots rock", meaning similar styles). Here is a great article about how Letterman has brought good music to people who otherwise might not get exposed to it.

Excerpt
TV variety shows no longer have the power to mint megastars from musicians as they did in the ’50s and ’60s, when Elvis Presley and the Beatles made historic appearances on “The Ed Sullivan Show.” But Mr. Letterman’s support of country and Americana acts suggests that late-night television can pack a punch for such artists by providing a national stage in an age of fragmented media.

An appearance on the “Late Show with David Letterman” helps fledgling performers build a following and demand higher booking fees. Relative newcomers like Sturgill Simpson and Chris Stapleton, along with veterans such as Dale Watson, have racked up fans as professionally shot videos from Letterman performances ricochet around YouTube...

Last month, Jason Isbell and his wife, violinist and singer-songwriter Amanda Shires—leading lights in the Americana revival—reprised “Mutineer” on the show. Mr. Letterman “is genuinely appreciative of the kind of music we make, and I don’t feel like he ever condescends,” Mr. Isbell says. “I know a lot of touring musicians in their twenties who don’t keep up with music as well as Dave does.”

Mr. Letterman often makes special requests of Americana performers, such as asking country singer Elizabeth Cook if she could learn “Pale Blue Eyes,” which was written by Lou Reed and performed by the Velvet Underground. “He’s quite the curator,” says Ms. Cook, whose SiriusXM radio show, “Apron Strings,” counts Mr. Letterman among its listeners. “He should probably be a record producer in his next career.”...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
SportsDoc
Brandt

Post by SportsDoc »

I'm so old I remember when he had a Mid-morning talk show on NBC before he went late night. Always cutting edge, always funny. I felt NBC made a mistake when he did not get the Post-Johnny Carson gig. Even though Jay Leno was excellent, Letterman would have been better. Always assumed it was because the Tonight Show wanted to be from LA and Letterman was a NYC guy.
"All men can stand adversity. If you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I haven't watched his show in years - decades maybe - but yeah, like a lot of people my age, I used to love his show. I watched it nearly every night and loved all of it. It was never quite as good after he moved to CBS - he fell into too much of a formula - but it's pretty incredible that he held on for so long.

We'll miss you, Dave.
Totally Kafkaesque
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

EDITED to provide a better version of the segment.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

When I was really young, my friend's older brother taped Late Night in the early years, maybe even the beginning. We watched with him a lot, even if I didn't get a lot of the jokes. Dave was incredibly creative and shattered the mold of what a talk show could be. It is hard to remember how anti-establishment he was back in the day since he has been a continuous staple on late night TV for more than 30 years. I always loved his wacky cast of characters from the scripted like Larry Bud Melman and everything Chris Elliott did, to the regular use random people like Sirajul and Mujibar and Rupert Gee. And of course, Dave's mother was the best. Entertainment doesn't get better than guessing what pies Dave's mom made for Thanksgiving. I wonder if Vegas took bets on that.

I watched The Late Show the first couple of years, and occasionally during breaks from college. My parents still watch Dave most nights, and have since 1993, when the Late Show started. The rare time I see Dave, I feel like he is making the same jokes he made 20 years ago, and he has gotten stale and boring. I heard an interview with him where he basically said this, and that it is time for him to move out of the way and let some younger and more in tune with the world take over. What an incredible though. I doubt many people thought he would last when he started Late Night.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote:I've loved Letterman for so long. Hate to see him go. One thing in particular - he has championed the style of music I enjoy the most, broadly described as "Americana" (some use terms such as "outlaw country" or "roots rock", meaning similar styles). Here is a great article about how Letterman has brought good music to people who otherwise might not get exposed to it.

Excerpt
TV variety shows no longer have the power to mint megastars from musicians as they did in the ’50s and ’60s, when Elvis Presley and the Beatles made historic appearances on “The Ed Sullivan Show.” But Mr. Letterman’s support of country and Americana acts suggests that late-night television can pack a punch for such artists by providing a national stage in an age of fragmented media.

An appearance on the “Late Show with David Letterman” helps fledgling performers build a following and demand higher booking fees. Relative newcomers like Sturgill Simpson and Chris Stapleton, along with veterans such as Dale Watson, have racked up fans as professionally shot videos from Letterman performances ricochet around YouTube...

Last month, Jason Isbell and his wife, violinist and singer-songwriter Amanda Shires—leading lights in the Americana revival—reprised “Mutineer” on the show. Mr. Letterman “is genuinely appreciative of the kind of music we make, and I don’t feel like he ever condescends,” Mr. Isbell says. “I know a lot of touring musicians in their twenties who don’t keep up with music as well as Dave does.”

Mr. Letterman often makes special requests of Americana performers, such as asking country singer Elizabeth Cook if she could learn “Pale Blue Eyes,” which was written by Lou Reed and performed by the Velvet Underground. “He’s quite the curator,” says Ms. Cook, whose SiriusXM radio show, “Apron Strings,” counts Mr. Letterman among its listeners. “He should probably be a record producer in his next career.”...
I fucking love Elizabeth Cook. I freaked when I saw her onstage with Hard Working Americans back in July.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Man, some tribute from Kimmel. He was starting to cry at some points, and begged people not to watch his show during Dave's finale. I'm sure the network and advertisers were thrilled with that.

-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, as stated in a recent thread I don't remember, Letterman is a HUGE Ryan Adams fan.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I caught the morning show only a couple of times. The late night (12:35am) show started during my first year of med school, and I caught it most nights. Goofy humor that took nothing seriously. And great music. That first year he had Graham Parker as a guest, and I managed to get into the taping. Parker has returned probably 8-10 times over the decades. But beyond my fav rocker, tremendous music and a great house band.

Watching last night, Paul Schaffer plunked out an unrehearsed tune on the keyboard as Murray did a bit. A Patti Smith tune, People Got The Power. The music the house band played was always cool and stuff you would never hear elsewhere on network TV. And Larry 'Bud' Melman. and Chris Elliot. I really loved the show when I was a youngster.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I haven't watched his show in maybe 20 years... largely a reflection of my changed lifestyle.

BUT once he started booking Julia Roberts instead of Brother Theodore, my interest waned.

HOWEVER - maybe more than any other person, Letterman is responsible for changing - for the better - TV comedy. Intelligent, sardonic and bizarre. A fantastic combination.

I mean, this was 30 years ago. Back when "edgy" meant Don Rickles.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Pruitt wrote:BUT once he started booking Julia Roberts instead of Brother Theodore, my interest waned.
Forgot about that dude. He had a live show, I went once but was really drunk and don't remember much (except heckling him and having him come up to me screaming in my face.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

I watched Letterman nightly from junior high until around the end of college. I haven't watched him a ton lately but damn were his last few shows stellar. And Julia Louis-Dreyfuss had the best off all the Top 10 lines with "Thanks for letting me be on another disappointing series finale" after Jerry Seinfeld had given his.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just a general comment on late night shows, and not to say bad things about any hosts one way or the other, but who stays up that late to watch them? They must get ratings, right? I don't think, except for some time in the summer when I didn't have school when I was younger, that I even tuned into them.

Luckily YouTube is around so I can catch Conan, Kimmel, Fallon, etc., but if it wasn't, I'd never even try to watch.

Maybe it's a generational thing. Regardless, whenever I did watch, I loved it. It's just quality television overall.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

College kids, insomniacs? I dunno. I watched Letterman pretty religiously in college, but I'm seldom up past 10:30 these days.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

As someone who stays up til at least 2 every night I watch a lot of late night TV. I find it the best to have on in the background while I'm reading, as opposed to watching something I dvr-ed. I watched Craig Ferguson every night until he went off the air and choose what else I'd watch based on guests. I'd been favoring Fallon over Letterman since he took over but the last week or so it's been all Dave.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote:Just a general comment on late night shows, and not to say bad things about any hosts one way or the other, but who stays up that late to watch them? They must get ratings, right? I don't think, except for some time in the summer when I didn't have school when I was younger, that I even tuned into them.

Luckily YouTube is around so I can catch Conan, Kimmel, Fallon, etc., but if it wasn't, I'd never even try to watch.

Maybe it's a generational thing. Regardless, whenever I did watch, I loved it. It's just quality television overall.
When Dave switched to CBS, I was living in Chicago (Central Time Zone) which meant it came on at 10:30pm. Made it very watchable, and I would almost always catch the first 30 minutes or so.

Haven't watched in years though...
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

My grandparents watched Carson and then Leno most every night. One of my favorite memories is Friday nights watching Carson with them. Just a few years that I recall but good memories.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

AB_skin_test wrote:My grandparents watched Carson and then Leno most every night. One of my favorite memories is Friday nights watching Carson with them. Just a few years that I recall but good memories.
My grandparents watched Carson religiously so that was the first place I saw the show; watching with them are some of my favorite memories too. I think they dropped off watching Leno after a while but they were the only other people in my family that stayed up near as late as I did. Until last week my grandmother still made it a point to stay up for the 11:00 news, even if she remembered nothing about it. RIP.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:Just a general comment on late night shows, and not to say bad things about any hosts one way or the other, but who stays up that late to watch them? They must get ratings, right? I don't think, except for some time in the summer when I didn't have school when I was younger, that I even tuned into them.

My parents still watch. I thought they were straight Letterman, but apparently they watch Kimmel, Conan and Fallon, depending who the guests are any given night. And I thought I knew them...
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Watching the final episode now.

Man, GHWB is old.

I laughed at the Tonight show joke.

Cue card joke, too! I'm easy.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oh yeah! Colbert!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Seinfeld nailed his delivery. Made the joke.

Dave's response to Chris Rock was probably the biggest laugh for me in the Top 10.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The behind the scenes thing was self-indulgent, but why not.

I think I'm going to miss the end of the show. Should have increased the recording time.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Damn it...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think deadspin/gawker has the Foo Fighters closer video.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote:Damn it...
Happened to me, too.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Funny, I watched the episode on my DVR at nearly the same time as Rass. I also missed the end.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

For a finale of such a long running, legendary show, that kinda sucked, right?

(Like even accepting that the low-key, understated style was basically his calling card.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Are people not supposed to get old?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Zero fucks were given in the making or publication of that photo.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

He looks like my dad.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

P.D.X. wrote:Are people not supposed to get old?
Not in a year.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I wish he'd take the earbuds out so he could hear when kids are in trouble and hit their attackers with a shovel.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote:He looks like my dad.
Mine, too. Should meeting you several years ago been a little more meaningful?
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”