The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by rass »

XRumer is a search engine optimization program, created by BotmasterLabs, that is able to register and post to forums (forum spam) with the aim of boosting search engine rankings. The program is able to bypass security techniques commonly used by many forums and blogs to deter automated spam, such as account registration, client detection, many forms of CAPTCHAs, and e-mail activation before posting. The program utilises SOCKS and HTTP proxies in an attempt to make it more difficult for administrators to block posts by source IP and features a proxy checking tool to verify the integrity and anonymity of the proxies used.

In addition, the software can avoid the suspicions of forum administrators by first registering to make a post in the form of a question which mentions the spam product ("Where can I get...?"), before registering another account to post a spam link which mentions the product. The side effect of these innocent-looking posts is that helpful forum visitors may search on a search engine (e.g. Google) for the product and themselves post a link to help out, thus bolstering the product's Google ranking without falling afoul of forum posting policies. The software is also capable of avoiding detection by making posts in off-topic, spam and overflow sections of forums thus attempting to keep its activities in high activity low content areas of the targeted forum. However, there are other platforms used to spam to which includes website comment spam.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote:
Shirley wrote:
BSF21 wrote:Is this how it was right before Skynet became self aware? It started having opinions on beer?
Pretty sure that's a dude, not a bot. Maybe I'm feeling overly generous, but I'm not deleting him yet.
With a website like botmasterwebs.com, how could he not be human?

It's not an obvious fake, like that bot pimping BrightCar and DaveSez.com
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

OK fine, I'm happy to delete him. None of those techniques will really work on our forum, because we don't have the volume to hide their posts.

This thread is gonna look weird when his post is gone.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Joke is on him/er.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote:Finally took the plunge, and have my first batch of homebrew wort boiling on the stove. Most productive day of work ever. The wife was worried about the smell after a friend bitched to her about it, so I have to brew when she isn't home. Wasn't bad at first, but yeah, the bittering hops are starting to fucking wreak. Our friend is forced to brew outside, so hopefully the smell will dissipate before she comes home.

Recipe is a Ballast Point Sculpin clone. I won't follow BP's lead and ruin it with grapefruit juice, pineapple or mango. Grapefruit made the beer worse, and I refuse to try the other 2.
And it's bottled! Just need to wait about 10 more days. I calculate 5.1% ABV, so not too much lower than I should have gotten. Tastes hoppy as fuck, but that should dissipate a bit I'm told. Not bad hoppy, but overly fresh maybe? Just need to work on a better straining technique, and need to use a sock for dry hopping. I can't believe how think the layer of yeast and hop sludge was at the bottom of the fermenter. Can't wait to try this!
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So Cigar City goes ... but not to InBev as expected. They're now part of the private firm that also owns Oskar Blues.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Wow. It hasn't even made social media down here. I had to go search for it. Saturday was Hunahpu Day, their annual festival. The logistical nightmares that I discussed with getting in to El Catador Club were tenfold with Hunahpu Day a few years ago.

The Brewbound article I read sounds like this is a good fit, or at least a much better fit than AB Inbev.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I didn't go to Hunahpu, or any of the Beer Week events last week, but Whole Foods did have Last Snow Porter on tap from Funky Buddha. It was a damn fine beer. A coconut and coffee porter, with neither of those tastes overwhelming the beer.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Ended up finding a Thre Floyds War Mullet DIPA, which was good, but not worth the $13 I paid for it.

Also had a Stone Delicious IPA and it was super good. Very solid IPA.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Has anyone tried this? I am intrigued but am not convinced about value to yum.
https://www.mobcraftbeer.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote:Enjoying my first Nugget Nectar of the season. While it is every bit as great as I remember it, I think it's lost it's specialness because there are so many great hoppy ales, it doesn't blow me away anymore. Still a first rate ale, and a nice change from IPAs. For some reason, I rarely go with APAs or red ales; almost always DIPAs or IPAs.

Had a great beer tasting with my brother in law on Saturday and this was one of our favorites. It was a blind taste test (my wife did the pouring) and we both nailed this one easily.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Has anyone tried this? I am intrigued but am not convinced about value to yum.
https://www.mobcraftbeer.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sharktank fan? It's an interesting idea, but I'm not all that intrigued. I think this would be a big hit with millennials, the whole social media crowdsourcing being involved in the decision aspect. There is so much great beer from highly reputable and established breweries, I don't see myself ever buying this. Every week there is a new limited edition beer from a top tier brewery that I would rather try than a random one-off crowd sourced borderline homebrew by two guys.

I think Kevin nailed the business model, they should look to use available space in bigger breweries rather than invest in all their own equipment right now. I think they were incredibly stupid in their choice of samples to give to the Sharks. Ending the samples with a sour? Nobody likes sours at first. It is an acquired taste, more so than any style IMO. It took Rush encouraging me to keep trying sours for me to finally develop a taste for them. Mark is the only beer drinker on the panel, and to paraphrase Mark, "I love beer, but I'm a Bud Light guy."
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Mikkeller Bar is awesome as always. Encouraged my friend to try the Prairie Bomb! She's now infatuated.

Stopped by a shithole little mom and pop on the way back to the hotel. Had the entire range of Russian River, sans beautification, and two styles of Bourbon County. Went with Brown Shugga, cause I loves it so.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote:It's an interesting idea, but I'm not all that intrigued. I think this would be a big hit with millennials, the whole social media crowdsourcing being involved in the decision aspect. There is so much great beer from highly reputable and established breweries, I don't see myself ever buying this.
So what do they do if some tester beer wins, they scale it up to cover demand and it just doesn't work? That would my biggest concern, beyond the gimmicky nature and what you said about just not needing something like that.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:
The Sybian wrote:It's an interesting idea, but I'm not all that intrigued. I think this would be a big hit with millennials, the whole social media crowdsourcing being involved in the decision aspect. There is so much great beer from highly reputable and established breweries, I don't see myself ever buying this.
So what do they do if some tester beer wins, they scale it up to cover demand and it just doesn't work? That would my biggest concern, beyond the gimmicky nature and what you said about just not needing something like that.
You pre-order. So presumably if yours didn't win you don't have to buy, right? So they know their demand immediately.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It certainly seems like a way to guarantee sales independent of quality.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:It certainly seems like a way to guarantee sales independent of quality.
Absolutely. I didn't see that as where you were coming from. No way all of those beers will be good.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The fact that one of them is a barrel aged IPA doesn't exactly fill me with confidence either.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote:The fact that one of them is a barrel aged IPA doesn't exactly fill me with confidence either.
That was my first thought when I clicked on the website.

Guacamole and Reese's Cups are great. Doesn't mean I want them together.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Boulevard's Ginger Lemon Radler is back. It's March 15. Summer is here!
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:Boulevard's Ginger Lemon Radler is back. It's March 15. Summer is here!
Basically, a shandy?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote:The fact that one of them is a barrel aged IPA doesn't exactly fill me with confidence either.
They also were pushing an India Pale Lager, which I had sometime in January. It was arguably the worst craft beer I've ever had.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hoppy lagers can work, but they fail a whole lot more often. Like I love Sunshine Pils by Troegs, but that's the exception.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:Boulevard's Ginger Lemon Radler is back. It's March 15. Summer is here!
This made me laugh. I was just discussing how stupid the early seasonal releases have become. Last year, Octoberfest beers were out in early August.

Rush, how do you go to Mikkeller Bar and get Brown Shugga? Maybe it's different in CO, but Brown Shugga is everywhere in NJ. Mikkeller is probably my favorite bar, just don't walk more than a block or two in the wrong direction. Best part, you are guaranteed a contact high walking down the street in that area. People openly smoking joints on the streets.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:Hoppy lagers can work, but they fail a whole lot more often. Like I love Sunshine Pils by Troegs, but that's the exception.
Sierra Nevada had a really good IPL in their Beer Camp series a couple years ago. Don't remember what brewery they worked with on it, but it was great. Their Beer Camp Tropical IPA was everywhere in Reno last weekend and I was impressed. Felt like they've missed more than hit on most of their seasonals and collaborations lately, but it was really good and not at all "fruity" like I feared.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote:
This made me laugh. I was just discussing how stupid the early seasonal releases have become. Last year, Octoberfest beers were out in early August.

Rush, how do you go to Mikkeller Bar and get Brown Shugga? Maybe it's different in CO, but Brown Shugga is everywhere in NJ. Mikkeller is probably my favorite bar, just don't walk more than a block or two in the wrong direction. Best part, you are guaranteed a contact high walking down the street in that area. People openly smoking joints on the streets.
I'm heading up to San Francisco to go to Mikkeller with Rush this evening! I wouldn't mind also going to City Beer, which is near Mikkeller and also great, but I wouldn't walk those four blocks after dark. Luckily, Mikkeller is right next to my BART stop, and only a couple blocks from Rush's hotel.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I thought San Francisco was so gentrified that it was basically like Manhattan now -- not really any "bad" neighborhoods.

ETA: But seriously, last time I was there (three years ago-ish) I stayed at that Omni on Montgomery and walked all over -- to Chinatown, down to AT&T Park, etc. Could be the Detroiter in me, but I didn't get any weird vibes or sense any crappy neighborhoods.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

sancarlos wrote:…but I wouldn't walk those four blocks after dark.
Wow. I guess the old Tenderloin is back. And Civic Center. I thought they cleared out the homeless camp under the freeway there by City Beer.

I've heard crime is up, but didn't realize some of those blocks/neighborhoods had gotten that dangerous at night. I blame Apple.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:So Cigar City goes ... but not to InBev as expected. They're now part of the private firm that also owns Oskar Blues.
A more in depth piece on Cigar City that helps explain some of the reasons to make the move they did yesterday.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:
sancarlos wrote:…but I wouldn't walk those four blocks after dark.
Wow. I guess the old Tenderloin is back. And Civic Center. I thought they cleared out the homeless camp under the freeway there by City Beer.

I've heard crime is up, but didn't realize some of those blocks/neighborhoods had gotten that dangerous at night. I blame Apple.
Maybe you guys are tougher than me, but 6th/7th/8th streets, south of Market Street certainly aren't gentrified.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Yeah, I suppose so, the little bit of residential around there is weird. I've rarely had occasion to walk in that area in recent years (find ballpark parking south of the freeway around 6th or 7th; haven't had to go the Hall of Justice in quite a while.)

(Then again, the EndUp is still there on 6th.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:Yeah, I suppose so, the little bit of residential around there is weird. I've rarely had occasion to walk in that area in recent years (find ballpark parking south of the freeway around 6th or 7th; haven't had to go the Hall of Justice in quite a while.)

(Then again, the EndUp is still there on 6th.)
Yeah, it's fine near the ballpark. I'm talking about the area north of the highway, closer to Folsom/Harrison/Mission. City Bar is on Folsom/7th.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:Mikkeller is probably my favorite bar, just don't walk more than a block or two in the wrong direction. Best part, you are guaranteed a contact high walking down the street in that area. People openly smoking joints on the streets.
I bought the Brown Shugga for enjoyment in the hotel room. I had a Modern Times Rye IPA, a barrel conditioned IPA, and a Mikkeller coffee stout at the bar.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote:
mister d wrote:Hoppy lagers can work, but they fail a whole lot more often. Like I love Sunshine Pils by Troegs, but that's the exception.
Sierra Nevada had a really good IPL in their Beer Camp series a couple years ago. Don't remember what brewery they worked with on it, but it was great. Their Beer Camp Tropical IPA was everywhere in Reno last weekend and I was impressed. Felt like they've missed more than hit on most of their seasonals and collaborations lately, but it was really good and not at all "fruity" like I feared.
I had the Beer Camp Tropical last weekend and REALLY enjoyed it.

I have to say, since I haven't posted much in here... I'm not a big fan of heavy beers. A lot of the stuff you guys post about, I know I wouldn't like much. I'll try anything, but really heavy stouts and stuff feel like I'm doing work or something.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I liked the tropical. I'm hit or miss with the added fruit or the fruity hops.

I like the Sculpin Grapefruit and a local brewery's take on the grapefruit IPA, but was very very disappointed in the most recent Chasin' Freshies, which was made with some hop variant that tastes of lemon.

I run the gamut of beer styles (though I do not like wheat/wits.) I prefer stouts if I'm only having one beer to enjoy as if it's a sipper it tends to last for more than 15 minutes.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote:
Basically, a shandy?
Yeah, it's a not-fake-sweet (or as sweet) and better version of Leinenkugel's.

It's not a world-class beer by any means, but I like it, especially when it's really hot outside.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I still haven't seen any boulevard beer around here. May go check the joint where I got my three floyds the other day.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B wrote:I still haven't seen any boulevard beer around here. May go check the joint where I got my three floyds the other day.
I'm not the biggest fan of their shelf beers, but I really like the one-offs/series beers they do. Big fan of the Barrel Aged Quad and the Rye-on-Rye.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:
A_B wrote:I still haven't seen any boulevard beer around here. May go check the joint where I got my three floyds the other day.
I'm not the biggest fan of their shelf beers, but I really like the one-offs/series beers they do. Big fan of the Barrel Aged Quad and the Rye-on-Rye.
I'm not a big saison fan, but Boulevard Tank 7 is really damned good. Just tried Rye-on-Rye, and all I tasted was rye. Rye Whiskey, but no beer taste at all. I have an open bottle of Templeton's right now, which is who they got the barrels from. Tastes exactly like Templeton's without the bite. I love Templeton's, but I prefer when the beer dominates with a more subtle whiskey addition. The Calling and Heavy Lifting IPAs are solid.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Picked up a Bourbon Barrel Quad from Boulevard at Whole Foods the other day. Anyone ever had it?