Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by brian »

I like it. I think it's gotten better as it has gone on.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Is anyone watching Life in Pieces? If it keeps this up it'll be funnier than Modern Family in its prime.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Brontoburglar wrote:Is anyone watching Life in Pieces? If it keeps this up it'll be funnier than Modern Family in its prime.
We stopped watching it. The Colin Hanks family was just way too annoying. It was weird that Brolin/Weist played husband and wife in Sisters.

Baskets is like a lot of the other quirky 30-minute shows from FX like Man Seeking Woman or Wilfred. Bizarre concept that works enough to make it watchable, but many times just way too much.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I can't do a show/movie with Weist in it. She's one of less than a handful of actors I just refuse to sit through.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Giff wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:Is anyone watching Life in Pieces? If it keeps this up it'll be funnier than Modern Family in its prime.
We stopped watching it. The Colin Hanks family was just way too annoying. It was weird that Brolin/Weist played husband and wife in Sisters.
I wanted to hate them at first and they've mellowed out a lot. I don't get any Weist hate, but at the same time, I have very, very little frame of reference to say "I dislike her in X" because I watch very little TV/movies anyway.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote:Baskets is like a lot of the other quirky 30-minute shows from FX like Man Seeking Woman or Wilfred. Bizarre concept that works enough to make it watchable, but many times just way too much.
I haven't watched "Man Seeking Woman", but I did watch the entire run of "Wilfred", liked it, and agree with the "many times way too much" sentiment.

Most networks would never give it a shot, but FX has John Landgraf being willing to take chances much more frequently than most network execs (chedda and I now light a candle in memory of "Terriers", a couple other Swampers solemnly nod).

Syb, I made it through two episodes and about four minutes of the third, then deleted the rest of the series (four episodes) and season pass. It's just mining uncomfortableness for comedy, so it's completely hit-or-miss.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote:I can't do a show/movie with Weist in it. She's one of less than a handful of actors I just refuse to sit through.
That surprises me. I don't have any strong opinion on her, but she's inoffensive and was in some very watchable movies over the years (The Lost Boys, Hannah and her Sisters, Parenthood come to mind, offhand.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:I can't do a show/movie with Weist in it. She's one of less than a handful of actors I just refuse to sit through.
That surprises me. I don't have any strong opinion on her, but she's inoffensive and was in some very watchable movies over the years (The Lost Boys, Hannah and her Sisters, Parenthood come to mind, offhand.)
My old roommate liked to joke that he never trusted her as the DA on "Law and Order" because she would likely invite the head vampire into the office.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Giff wrote:Baskets is like a lot of the other quirky 30-minute shows from FX like Man Seeking Woman or Wilfred. Bizarre concept that works enough to make it watchable, but many times just way too much.
Most networks would never give it a shot, but FX has John Landgraf being willing to take chances much more frequently than most network execs (chedda and I now light a candle in memory of "Terriers", a couple other Swampers solemnly nod).
I light candles with you. One of my favorite shows of all time.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I have a hard time explaining it. As an example, I LOVED Parenthood, but she almost ruins the movie for me.. "Oohh, Gaaary" kills me. Just her affectations and stuff. I think there's part of her that reminds me of my mom when my mom was being cloying and overly emotional but in a kind of pitiful way.

So, yeah... Something pretty specific to me. I love my mom, but we went through some serious shit when I was young post-divorce and it's hard for me to shake some of it. And Weist is almost a dead ringer, particularly when she's trying to be empathetic.

Perhaps, once again, I've said too much.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
I light candles with you. One of my favorite shows of all time.
I wrote this song about Terriers.

Also, god damn Susanna Hoffs.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I dig Baskets, because it is so weird, but damn it is so weird, I understand if folks don't like it. But Martha is amazing.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

howard wrote:I dig Baskets, because it is so weird, but damn it is so weird, I understand if folks don't like it. But Martha is amazing.
Martha and Louie Armstrong are my favorite parts of the show, for sure.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote:
howard wrote:I dig Baskets, because it is so weird, but damn it is so weird, I understand if folks don't like it. But Martha is amazing.
Martha and Louie Armstrong are my favorite parts of the show, for sure.
Satchmo?

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ooops.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:
They could put out a show with Walton Goggins sitting on a chair for a half hour and I'd give it at least 3 episodes.

"What would have happened had Boyd stayed in school instead of going to the coal mines?"
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A little slow on watching Top Chef, but watched the "Fast Casual" episode last night and...
[+] spoiler
Seriously Kwame? You went with FROZEN waffles for your chicken and waffles idea? As soon as he bought them at Whole Foods, I said "Yep...he's done".

And great idea by Margery using the deep fryer to boil water for her pasta.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DaveInSeattle wrote:A little slow on watching Top Chef, but watched the "Fast Casual" episode last night and...
[+] spoiler
Seriously Kwame? You went with FROZEN waffles for your chicken and waffles idea? As soon as he bought them at Whole Foods, I said "Yep...he's done".

[+] spoiler
If you ever say the words: "Don't worry, I think it'll be fine", go ahead and pack up.

I hope Karen comes back from LCK.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

After 4 seasons of Justified, it just occurred to me last night that Limehouse is Bubba from Forrest Gump.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Season 4 of Louie, holy fuck did that show go to another level! Fantastic stuff, especially "The Woods" series of episodes flashing back to Louie's introduction to pot. I really liked the first 3 seasons, but I'm not really sure why I like it so much. It's not all that funny outside of his standup clips or his conversations with other comedians. Some subtle stuff, like the bizarre background TV news stuff. It has a super depressing tone, and like numerous characters say, Louie is the most boring person ever. I couldn't stop watching, though, and holy fuck season 4.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

BSF21 wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:A little slow on watching Top Chef, but watched the "Fast Casual" episode last night and...
[+] spoiler

[+] spoiler
If you ever say the words: "Don't worry, I think it'll be fine", go ahead and pack up.

I hope Karen comes back from LCK.
[+] spoiler
I remember a few seasons back (Chicago, probably) they had a sausage/hot dog challenge, and one of the chefs bought sausages instead of making them himself. Got killed for it, and sent home.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you gave up on Baskets the last four episodes have been outstanding. I agree with Alan Sepinwall. Arguably the best show of 2016 so far, but it's not for everyone.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:If you gave up on Baskets the last four episodes have been outstanding. I agree with Alan Sepinwall. Arguably the best show of 2016 so far, but it's not for everyone.
I did, but mainly because I watch so many other shows that I can't give up due to how long I've been with them. I'll go back and check 'em out.

The Workaholics finale cracked me up.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Finally got to the last 3-4 episodes of the last season of Silicon Valley. Forgotten how funny it is and how much I enjoyed the show. By far my favorite Mike Judge work on the small screen.

Looking forward to season 3 in a few weeks.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:
brian wrote:If you gave up on Baskets the last four episodes have been outstanding. I agree with Alan Sepinwall. Arguably the best show of 2016 so far, but it's not for everyone.
I did, but mainly because I watch so many other shows that I can't give up due to how long I've been with them. I'll go back and check 'em out.

Yeah, that was the best Workaholics eps of the season by far. The rest had been pretty spotty.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:
Giff wrote:

Yeah, that was the best Workaholics eps of the season by far. The rest had been pretty spotty.
Agreed. The random Rob Corddry/Rob Huebel cracked me up.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Finally got around to starting Archer. Holy fuck, is it funny. Working in a job handling HR sexual harassment claims makes this even funnier to me. By the end of Season 1, some of the running jokes were getting old, like the secretary who changes her name every episode getting off on being choked. The HR woman trying to get laid will never get old. Probably not the best show to binge watch.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote:Finally got around to starting Archer. Holy fuck, is it funny. Working in a job handling HR sexual harassment claims makes this even funnier to me. By the end of Season 1, some of the running jokes were getting old, like the secretary who changes her name every episode getting off on being choked. The HR woman trying to get laid will never get old. Probably not the best show to binge watch.
And it gets even better.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

brian wrote:
Giff wrote:
The Nutting Professor

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Season One of Documentary Now just came out on Netflix. I cannot encourage you enough to check it out. (If you're not a fan at all of the documentary format your mileage may vary.)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Speaking of Netflix, new season of Trailer Park Boys available for streaming today.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote:Season One of Documentary Now just came out on Netflix. I cannot encourage you enough to check it out. (If you're not a fan at all of the documentary format your mileage may vary.)
I watched the first season. I thought it was hit and miss. The Kunuk and Dronz were fantastic. I liked the finale. The first episode was tough to finish. Some maybe not knowing the references.

IFC has ordered 2 more seasons. Hoping they do something interesting based on the sports documentary
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Rush2112 wrote:Speaking of Netflix, new season of Trailer Park Boys available for streaming today.
Damn, season 10. That is a lot of idiocy. Welcome back, old friends.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

FX renews Always Sunny In Philadelphia for two more seasons (meaning three more overall) for a total of 14 seasons through 2019.

According to the story that will make TV history.
With its 14th Season, the McElhenney, Charlie Day, Kaitlin Olson, Glenn Howerton and Danny DeVito starring comedy will match the 1952 debuting The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet as the longest-running live-action comedy series ever. If FXX adds another season down the line on today’s renewals, IASIP will be the longest-running live-action comedy series in TV history – and it will be 2020.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

howard wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:Speaking of Netflix, new season of Trailer Park Boys available for streaming today.
Damn, season 10. That is a lot of idiocy. Welcome back, old friends.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Anyone watching Blindspot? It seems like a good show, but I'm having trouble with the silliness regarding everything Air Force. I've watched two episodes and I'm contemplating whether to continue.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Finished season 4 of Breaking Bad. Holy fuck, the last half of that season! How did this show slip under the radar?
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Gus Fring. Ding ding ding ding ding!

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:Gus Fring. Ding ding ding ding ding!
That scene was one of the best scenes I've ever seen. The plan was brilliant on so many levels, the look on Fring's face when he realized what was about to happen, then he walks out his usual slow, methodical self, fixes his tie, and oh, fuck, he lived! Then the pan to the other side of his face. Fuuuuuucckkk. Then seeing the DEA dudes all watching the news, Skyler calling Walter asking if he had anything to do with it, and his evil grimace saying, "I won." Goddamn.

Seeing Season 4 after watching Saul, I picked up on some symbolism I missed in Saul. Like the boxing gloves necklace Mike ripped off Tuco. Blew my mind seeing Frings take it after he killed all the Mexican cartel dudes, then drop it onto Salamanca's lap. I need to spend some time reading up on all the symbolism and Easter eggs I miss. I mean, look at this entry from Breaking Bad Wikia
The Color Wheel
The relationships between the central Breaking Bad characters are analogous to the relationships between colors on the red, yellow, and blue painter's color wheel. For example, the color for Walter's alter ego, Heisenberg, which is often green, is created by mixing the colors of his two closest partners, Sklyer, who often wears blue, and Jesse, who often wears yellow. Further, Heisenberg is opposed by Hank, who often wears shades of orange, ranging from red to brown, which is located on the opposite side of the color wheel from green. Marie, being the sister of Skyler and wife of Hank, is represented by purple, which sits between blue and red colors on the color wheel.

While Walter's signature product is sky blue in color, the meth made in the show technically should be yellow. The characters' relationships to the drug is represented by their colors' locations relative to yellow on the color wheel. Marie is farthest from the meth drug trade, being neither a user, cook, hired hand, nor narcotics officer, and is represented by purple which is opposite yellow on the color wheel. The characters that are closet to the drug, principally the cooks Walter White, Jesse Pinkman, and Gale Boetticher, all wear yellow jumpsuits in the meth lab and frequently wear yellow in other scenes of the show. Gustavo Fring, while not a meth cook, wears a yellow shirt when working at his fast-food chicken restaurant Los Pollos Hermanos. Skyler White and Hank Schrader, and their colors, represent two end-member relationships to the drug trade and Walter White. Skyler's blue represents loyalty and peace, while Schrader's red represents violence and anger. Partners who are loyal to Walter White receive money (represented by green, a mixture of blue and yellow), while those who oppose him are met with violence (represented by orange, a mixture of red and yellow).
The Wiki lists a bunch of examples of scenes with color symbolism. For example, green symbolizes money, greed and growth. Holly was named to symbolize green, and her room was painted green. Walter Jr. wore green once, when he set up the SaveWalterWhite.com site. And get this, the serial number on the Golden Moth Chemical drums is the HTML code for the shade of green in the BB logo. This show operates on a couple hundred levels beyond me.
-Pruitt