Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote:Fathers side left there 75(?) years ago. Haven't heard any clammoring about going back.
Shitty pizza.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:I guess when I think of the phrase 1% I think of gaudy outward displays of wealth, not sound investments.
I don't think I'm disagreeing with what "the one percent" means. Rather that you aren't middle class when you've got more money than 90+ percent of the population
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:Single, childless guy caveats aside, I wouldn't be able to do that if I was paying $600 more a month in house payments.
Good fucking god, man. That'll get you 40% of my ... daycare bill. For just the youngest. And we're at the lowest amount we've paid in like 4 years.
Well $600 more a month in mortgage payments would just mean I wouldn't be able to save at the same rate... but I'd still be doing pretty damn well compared to a lot of people.

I guess I'm just overly cognizant of where I stand -- and extremely grateful for it -- because of the way my job landscape looks at the moment and where I was less than 4 years ago. So while I wish I had more money (doesn't everyone?) I have to step back and go "yeah, for my industry and what I get to do, I'm doing just fine."
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:I live in the same county as Syb (though comparatively on the wrong side of the figurative tracks) and my wife and I pull down no where near $350K and I feel we're comfortably middle class. Take vacations. Have decent cars. I guess it might depend on his definition of luxury items? I've never considered myself upper middle class.

My point is just that a family income of $350K doesn't get you a "rich" man's lifestyle here. I am sure I partly skewed by my hometown, which used to be the lowest housing market in the country, and some of the towns surrounding mine, where the average home is over $1 million. I wasn't saying a comfy middle class lifestyle requires $350K, just that it takes a lot more to be "rich". Similarly, you don't consider yourself Upper Middle Class, but I am willing to wager you and your wife make more than the $100,000 income to be classified as UMC.

I look at my in-laws town 10 minutes away from me, and the prices are astronomical. They have a tear down house on a quarter of an acre, and I'm sure they could get $850,000-$900,000 for the land. It's a nice enough neighborhood, but classic 1950s planned suburban neighborhood, now with McMansions with 10 feet of side lawn between the neighboring house. The beauty of it, they know it's going to be bought as a tear down, so they fix nothing superficial, and plan on leaving shit in the house when they move out, and let the builders scoop it into a dumpster. I think they paid $35,000 when they bought the house in 1972. My parents paid twice as much in 1979 for a similar house, and it's worth about $150,000.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:
mister d wrote:I guess when I think of the phrase 1% I think of gaudy outward displays of wealth, not sound investments.
I don't think I'm disagreeing with what "the one percent" means. Rather that you aren't middle class when you've got more money than 90+ percent of the population
So you'd say a household income of $110,000 for a family is wealthy (above middle class)? The 90% percentile is somewhere around $100,000-$110,000. As a single guy, I'm sure that sounds like a hell of a lot more than it does to someone supporting a family. Like D said, daycare alone was over $3,000/month when my kids were both in preschool. We sent them to the Y for aftercare this year, which is one of the cheapest options, and that was $1,200/month. And come summer, it is 5 times as much. For a family of 4, multiply all your costs for food and whatever else by 4 (average family size). Factor in all of their activities... They outgrow their clothes every year, so you are buying all of that. While I appreciate that 90% of households make less than $110,000, I refuse to consider a household with that income wealthy. This whole discussion needs to have a separate wealth measure for single person households vs. a household with kids. Fuck, I didn't even get into health insurance for a family, or the difference in cost of living.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:
mister d wrote:Fathers side left there 75(?) years ago. Haven't heard any clammoring about going back.
Shitty pizza.

BRilliant!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

So are we going to talk about this Dream Hoarders book or what? I haven't read it (of course), but based on how it's described, he's right.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
So you'd say a household income of $110,000 for a family is wealthy (above middle class)? The 90% percentile is somewhere around $100,000-$110,000. As a single guy, I'm sure that sounds like a hell of a lot more than it does to someone supporting a family. Like D said, daycare alone was over $3,000/month when my kids were both in preschool. We sent them to the Y for aftercare this year, which is one of the cheapest options, and that was $1,200/month. And come summer, it is 5 times as much. For a family of 4, multiply all your costs for food and whatever else by 4 (average family size). Factor in all of their activities... They outgrow their clothes every year, so you are buying all of that. While I appreciate that 90% of households make less than $110,000, I refuse to consider a household with that income wealthy. This whole discussion needs to have a separate wealth measure for single person households vs. a household with kids. Fuck, I didn't even get into health insurance for a family, or the difference in cost of living.
I don't care what the $$$s really are and what people's expenses are compared to them. If you're making more than 90% of the population you're not in the middle. I'm not sure why this is so complicated.

Because what's the point of calling it "the middle class" if it's really not the people in the middle?

ETA: I also think that being able to afford things like daycare, new clothes for kids every year, activities, etc, is a sign of relative prosperity. Is that shit expensive? Yes. I'm not disputing the costs. Just that when you're able to be in a position and not have to rely on family members, unable to do soccer for your kids because you can't afford it, etc etc, then you're pretty damn lucky. Even if you'd love to be able to make and save more money.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Bronto's ETA is a really good point. Putting aside the semantics of what's "middle class" as opposed to "upper class," being able to afford a house, live where you want (and not just near family), pay for childcare, go to nice bars and restaurants, shop at Whole Foods, etc. are things that just aren't possible for tens of millions (probably hundreds of millions) of Americans. The US economy works pretty well for those with the education, success and luck to at least be upper middle class, but not so well for everyone else. I hadn't heard about that Dream Hoarders boom before Rex's post but am interested in reading it now.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Joe K wrote:, shop at Whole Foods.
Pump the brakes, Moneybags.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Friend of mine calls is Whole Paycheck Foods.

What a peasant.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Where the line designating someone as upper middle class should be drawn is kind of irrelevant, because the next group down takes most of its consumption-related cues from that group, and then so does the next group after that, so the tastes and habits of the 20% (which is where the Dream Hoarders guy draws the line) become the tastes and habits of a much larger group, some of whom either can't afford that life or do irrational things (like buy a house in the exurbs and drive 90 minutes to work every day) to make it affordable in the short term. If I were inclined towards radically changing the distribution of wealth in the U.S., and to be perfectly honest I'm not, that's where I would direct my energies rather than fuss about the inequality at the extremes.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote:Friend of mine calls is Whole Paycheck Foods.

What a peasant.
Only time I ever shopped there was when I was in the DC area last month. Stocked up on beer and snacks for the room at the nearby Whole Foods. Beer guy turned me on to a delicious Belgian sour ale - $6 a bottle ($8 Canadian), but what the hell, something that rare and well curated had to be worth it.

And it was delicious. Even more delicious when it arrived at Toronto area beer stores for $3.25.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

France's Marine Le Pen charged over funding scandal

Oh wow. Politicians can get in trouble. Neat.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I would normally enjoy a politician in FU mode, but...

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote:I would normally enjoy a politician in FU mode, but...

In a sane country, that picture would guarantee that that fat piece of shit never gets elected again. Anywhere.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:
In a sane country, that picture would guarantee that that fat piece of shit never gets elected again. Anywhere.

I think everything Christie did to earn his record setting 17% approval rating guarantees he never gets elected, but considering Trump...
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I love this story! Next he should commandeer an NJ Transit train and ride it in to Manhattan by himself....on time
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Generally I hate the "what if Obama did this?" game but this would be one of my favorites.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My mom and I had a text chat about him tonight and I'll never be able to explain how I am how I am and view him how I do. And he's not even some legacy Irish catholic or something.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Test?

ETA: Thought it was weird there were no posts from last night even on a long holiday weekend. (Some of us poor bastards have to work today after all.)

Anyway, proceed.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

On that Christie beached whale thing, when does New Jersey riot and force that beach open? That's such a brazen 'fuck you' to everyone in that state that enjoyed going to that beach.

What's the reason behind that beach being closed in the first place?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnnie wrote:On that Christie beached whale thing, when does New Jersey riot and force that beach open? That's such a brazen 'fuck you' to everyone in that state that enjoyed going to that beach.

What's the reason behind that beach being closed in the first place?
Budget fight between Christie and state senate has led to a government shutdown of "non-essential" services. That's a state controlled beach, but most of the beaches are under municipal control and not closed.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Gotcha. Something in that vein happened in Arizona where rest stops all over the state had to be closed. It sucked because of how much road travel families did to visit places and they couldn't pull over to stretch/go to the bathroom/grab a snack..etc. Once the budget was adjusted, they were able to open back up. Everyone rejoiced.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Holy Shit Illinois!

Three years without a state budget? Huh?!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote:Holy Shit Illinois!

Three years without a state budget? Huh?!
At this point they can't even sell multi-state lottery tickets (i.e. Powerball) because they're not certain they have the money to pay a winner if it came from Illinois.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Hillary Clinton is out of fucks to give. I wish this person had run for president.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Are democrats finally embracing the meme war to combat the meme president and his army of pepes?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Asshole Congressman Violates Auschwitz Protocol

A bizarre five minute guided tour (one is supposed to remain silent while walking the grounds). I'll save you the trouble of watching it. But at 4:44 he gets to his punch line. He has a "commitment, to make damn sure the United States of America is protected from the evils of the world."

Surreal.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Pruitt wrote:Asshole Congressman Violates Auschwitz Protocol

A bizarre five minute guided tour (one is supposed to remain silent while walking the grounds). I'll save you the trouble of watching it. But at 4:44 he gets to his punch line. He has a "commitment, to make damn sure the United States of America is protected from the evils of the world."

Surreal.
He even got the gas pellets wrong, the fucking moron
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Going back to the 20% vs. 80% issue, this was a fascinating Reddit discussion from the weekend discussing the impact of a single arcane zoning regulation on the development patterns of an entire city (or, as another Swamper put it, why The Rent Is Too Damn High in L.A.):

Comments are worth your time too.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

From the comments, there was this equally interesting piece which found that the city of Somerville, MA has enacted a zoning code under which all but 22 of its existing residential buildings are illegal even without regard to parking regulations (which would probably knock out the remaining 22):

http://cityobservatory.org/the-illegal- ... omerville/
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Author is either misinformed or disingenuous there: "Somerville is the kind of in-between density that you’ll often hear people praise: compact enough to walk to stores and friends’ houses, but with virtually no buildings over four floors, lots of trees and yards, and a mix of small apartment buildings and single-family homes."

Even without many 5+ story buildings, Somerville is one of the most densely populated areas in the entire country.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Requiring parking spaces is pretty absurd. Developers know their market and wouldn't trip up on something as basic as parking.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, we lived in a 6 family house with 4 parking spots and they had trouble selling the spots because it was unnecessary. In four years, we never had to park off the closest street to us because people just don't need cars there.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I read the author's point as being more qualitative than quantitative, saying that "here is a way to make things a lot more dense than they are in most places in the US, without being Manhattan".

Though it could just be that the writer is from NYC, as I assume all writers on the internet are.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

the overwhelming majority of people do not take public transportation in Los Angeles, in large part because everything is so spread out and there is very limited subway service. I just looked at directions from my old apartment to Staples Center in downtown LA. Traffic as rush hour is starting to wind down (9:20am) lists driving time as 29 minutes for 12.8 miles, but taking public transportation involved walking to a bus stop, taking a bus, walking to the train station, taking the train, then walking to the destination... for a 59-minute trip, including 12 minutes walking.

And that's a much shorter commute than what a lot of people do.

While the subway system is expanding, it does so at such a slow rate (construction time, fighting neighborhood associations, Beverly HIlls refusing to have a station within its city limits, etc.), so I don't think taking public transportation will ever be part of widespread culture there.

So, parking is pretty much a requirement for apartment buildings. Of the four different places I lived in LA, there was always a "one parking spot per bedroom" policy and one of my places had room for two cars.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So this was totally Syb, right?

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!