Points deduction reduced for Juve, Lazio and Fiorentina

Welcome to the Swamp, our famous conversation board. We talk primarily about sports but you can have your say about just about anything. Please register yourself and say hello.
That French Guy
V.I Warshawski

Points deduction reduced for Juve, Lazio and Fiorentina

Post by That French Guy »

Juventus moves from 20th to 12th by getting 8 pts back, Fiorentina gets 4pts back and Lazio 8.
Milan stays put.

So the first penalty for Juve was 30 points, then 17 and now 9. A promotion becomes possible.
Blackpool FC : 25 pts (1ath) 6-7-6
redarmy
Tenspeed and Brown Shoe

Post by redarmy »

italian football is a disgrace. the fact thtat milan are in th chamions league this year is nauseating enough. crooked bastards.
tom 1860
Hercule Poirot

Post by tom 1860 »

redarmy wrote:italian football is a disgrace. the fact thtat milan are in th chamions league this year is nauseating enough. crooked bastards.
Totally agree...
One of the most important lesssons in life is:

If questioned, deny everything...
If questioned again, deny harder...

In fact, deny you have ever been questioned at all.
GritsGoBlue
Hercule Poirot

Post by GritsGoBlue »

Do you guys know what AC Milan actually did, other than the fact that they are CHEATERS!!! and targets of righteous indignation?
The Atlanta Sports Blog:
http://BravesandBirds.blogspot.com
tom 1860
Hercule Poirot

Post by tom 1860 »

GritsGoBlue wrote:Do you guys know what AC Milan actually did, other than the fact that they are CHEATERS!!! and targets of righteous indignation?
Fixed matches with refs via a web of backhanders initiated by the Juve Chairman/boss. The points deductions are based upon how badly each team's officals and players behaved.

When the report was done, no players were actually named, loads were questioned though. This kind of thing has happened 2 or 3 times in Italy in the last 20 years and their governing body or Government should have grabbed the bull by the horns by now and banned team staff, managers, coaches, players and refs for life. It will not happen though because there is too much money involved and too many politicains financially up to their necks in Italian club football.

GritsGoBlue
Hercule Poirot

Post by GritsGoBlue »

Tom, I don't think you're right, at least as to Milan. My recollection is that Milan got in trouble because a relatively minor official at the club bragged about having influence on the appointment of linesmen, but it was never proven that Milan actually got the appointments that it wanted. Milan was arguably a victim, since they were the team that was disadvantaged the most by Juve running a corrupt system as Milan was Juve's chief rival for the scudetto.

Not to be all lawyerly on you, but the allegations, even as to Juve, are not "match-fixing." Juve had certain refs appointed because they viewed them as favorable and that it deplorable, but it's a step below actual match-fixing, i.e. telling the refs that Juve must win or paying the other team to lie down. I don't think that the former was alleged and the latter definitely wasn't.
The Atlanta Sports Blog:
http://BravesandBirds.blogspot.com
gary.clark
Hercule Poirot

Post by gary.clark »

considering a ban of serie a from my weekends.
Dunk contests are bourgeois.
tom 1860
Hercule Poirot

Post by tom 1860 »

GritsGoBlue wrote:Tom, I don't think you're right, at least as to Milan. My recollection is that Milan got in trouble because a relatively minor official at the club bragged about having influence on the appointment of linesmen, but it was never proven that Milan actually got the appointments that it wanted. Milan was arguably a victim, since they were the team that was disadvantaged the most by Juve running a corrupt system as Milan was Juve's chief rival for the scudetto.

Not to be all lawyerly on you, but the allegations, even as to Juve, are not "match-fixing." Juve had certain refs appointed because they viewed them as favorable and that it deplorable, but it's a step below actual match-fixing, i.e. telling the refs that Juve must win or paying the other team to lie down. I don't think that the former was alleged and the latter definitely wasn't.
Lets be honest though... I don't think anybody from an Italian football team is going to fall on their own sword about this. Be as Lawyerly as you want, my belief is that people got caught with their trousers down and the rest was hidden/swept under the carpet. Italian footall is well dodgy IMHO.

'Refs viewed as favorable'... What like a Juve supporter refing a Juve game. The report highlights what is fact and what has been admitted too... There is no way people were going to put their hands up and admit to stuff. People from top to bottom at these clubs admitted to what could be proved and shut the hell up about the rest... IMHO...Which counts for shit, but I think a lot of people would agree with me.

Its also pretty interesting that Milan get done as soon as their owner: Mr: ex-president loses power... Have a feeling there is a lot of bad blood in Italy and Berlesconi (however you spell it) was involved up to his neck. I think Milan were probs far more involved than people think, but they were better at covering their tracks...

BillCross
Karel "Carl" Kolchak

Post by BillCross »

A. C. Milan were implicated by the intercept of calls made by Leonardo Meani, Milan referee relations officer. Meani had been caught in a conversation discussing the assignment of specific linesmen for Milan's game against Chievo Verona in April 2005 with the Italian Football Federation official responsible for assigning linesmen. He had been also caught in a conversation with Milan official Roccato claiming to have personally decided the referee and the linesmen of big match Milan-Juventus crucial for 2004-05 title. [3] AC Milan attorneys as well as the attorneys for Milan Vice-President, Adriano Galliani, argued that the club had no knowledge of Meani?s actions and that Meani was a minor club official acting on his own initiative. [4] [5]. But the sports tribunal set up by the Italian Football Federation to hear the charges noted that Galliani had known of Meani?s conduct after the fact and had neither reprimanded Meani nor alerted the Italian Football Federation of the misconduct. Moreover, even if the tribunal could not specifically prove that Galliani had instructed Meani to arrange referee appointment, the intercepted phone call between Meani and the Italian Football Federation Official came at the instigation of Galliani who was upset about several decisions by linesmen made against AC Milan in their loss to Sienna a week prior to Meani's phone call.
Meani received a 3.5 year ban from football, GAlliani a one-year ban
Surf's up space pony -- I'm cooking with gas now baby

"I didn't say he was an evil liar. You're putting words in my mouth, just the way you put artificial facts in your head!" David Letterman to Bill O'Reilly
tom 1860
Hercule Poirot

Post by tom 1860 »

Good to see that when things are proved against refs/club officals etc... They get banned... I hope similar decisions will be made when a high profile Italian player is proved to be involved in such matters.

I still believe that under the surface, whole scale corruption is alive and well!

bobpentfs11
Jim Rockford

Post by bobpentfs11 »

Corruption be damned, the Milan Derby today was fantastic.
I'd rather stick it to a donkey than have my sister on her back for a fan of PNE. Go Seasiders!